Tea for the Tillerman is the fourth entry in Cat Steven's discography, and arguably his most popular. That's in thanks to the legendary tracks "Wild World," "Father and Son" and "Where Do the Children Play?." To my ears, this is Cat Steven's best effort.
One of my favorite lyrics of all time ("Lord, my body has been a good friend/But I won't need it when I reach the end") is featured on the track "Miles from Nowhere." I could spend this entire review going on about some of the beautiful, simplistic lyricism on this album, but I won't.
Cat Stevens' voice is not talked about enough. Sure, he may not have huge amounts of range; but he's similar to Dylan or Cohen in that way. His delicate, soft voice pairs perfectly with soothing compositions. This particularly shows through on tracks like "Longer Boats" and "Into White." Stevens also does a bit of really underrated keyboard work throughout the album. "Tea for the Tillerman," as short as it may be, shows Stevens' keyboard work quite well.
Besides Cat Stevens, the studio musicians hired for the album do some excellent work as well. Jack Rostein (Listed as John Rostein in the album's credits) does some fantastic violin work. In fact, his work on "Into White" completely take the song to a new level. Meanwhile, John Ryan's simple yet wonderful bass work really shine through on "On the Road to Find Out" in particular.
Paul Samwell-Smith (who you may know as former bassist for the Yardbirds) does some top-tier production on the album. "On the Road to Find Out," "Father and Son", and "Miles from Nowhere" among other tracks wouldn't be able to achieve the maximum beauty that they do without Samwell-Smith's production.
In my opinion, Stevens' career peaked upon the release of this album.
Today's free load is the Ultradisc II™ 24 KT Gold CD from Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab's "Original Master Recording" collection, from 1992.
For the freeload, tell us what your favorite hot beverage is.



I switch from tea to coffee (definitely not instant) periodically but at the moment because I have difficulty sleeping with my arthritis there is a Valerian Herb tea which sends me into Zedland better than anything else I've tried . So for the time being that is my favourite (but only once a day in the wee small hours).
ReplyDeleteCoffee, black. Brewed up every morning to start my day.
ReplyDeleteThe best of the Cat Stevens' albums came out while I was in High School. I loved the work of his guitarist, Alun Davies. Then the movie Harold & Maude came out about then too. I think that was the first DVD I bought too. Had to share it with granddaughter.
Horlicks, goddamit!
ReplyDeleteI can easily see why it's not a caffeinated drink...
DeleteHome-brewed coffee with a shot of Bailey's (no Starbucks for me). They played Morning Has Broken at our wedding...
ReplyDeleteMy favorite hot beverage would be coffee but I seldom drink it that way. I'm too impatient in the morning for brewing. So while I'm making the wife's tea, I start swigging cold black coffee from a refrigerated mason jar that I brewed in advance. One or two jars a day. If I go out, say down by the docks of the city, I cover the jar discreetly in a brown paper bag.
ReplyDeleteMine is a strong (weapons grade) soy milk cappuccino.
ReplyDeleteI like hot chocolate, and I like peppermint tea. I don't drink either of them frequently.
ReplyDeleteI drink no caffeinated beverages; most people get the joke when I say, "...because it make me talkative."
D in California
There's a bar near me that makes a spiked peppermint hot chocolate, during the winter months.
DeleteThat libation could easily become a regular. Although, cognac is very good in cold months, warmed by hand through a bulb-like glass.
DeleteD
Coffee - black, straight up and strong as hell. Been drinking it that way since I was probably around 7 or 8. Surprised I still have a stomach lining.
ReplyDeleteSame as me PMAC
DeleteLatte Macchiato-type drinks. Since I don't like the taste of coffee much, so pour on the milk and sugar, baby...
ReplyDeleteOne of the great underrated tracks from Tea For The Tillerman is "Longer Boats" with its call-and-response type vocals. Interestingly enough, and you wouldn't know it from the lyrics, he wrote it about his fear of being abducted by aliens!
The house of Freezing Steel
DeleteI never knew that about Longer Boats. I'll have to have another listen. Thanks OBG.
DeleteFrom Cat Stevens website
Delete"In the late 60’s, due to the successful landing of a man on the moon (which happened coincidently on my 21st birthday) there was a lot of talk and speculation about UFOs.
I wrote the song as a plea for human unity in face of external (possibly extra-terrestrial) threats. There was also a lyrical inference to say that we should look closer at the beautiful and mystical nature of the earth, and watch out for adopting inherited wisdoms from people who claimed to be masters of the high, moral ground. I don’t want a ‘god’ (statue or false image) on my lawn Just a flower, I can help long For the soul of nobody knows, How a flower grows – how does a flower grow?
True, I gave interviews sometimes and talked about UFOs with passion, but that was partly due to my wish in making the interview more interesting. My apologies.
But in another way, the image of ‘longer boats’ in my mind reminds you of the Vikings and the ships they conquered Britain with. A hint of how we perceive aliens who have different customs to us – thankfully, my mother was Scandinavian, so I never really shook listening to such stories."
In an interview Cat Stevens said he was sent out on tours with Engelbert Humperdinck and Jimi Hendrix. He said Engelbert taught him how to perform while using alcohol and Jimi taught him how to perform under other substances.
ReplyDeletehttps://faroutmagazine.co.uk/tour-jimi-hendrix-cat-stevens-walker-brothers/
I enjoy a couple cups of fresh brewed (French press) coffee and then several of tea daily but I really enjoy a Latte if I'm visiting a coffee shop. Thanks for this nice upgrade -- big fan of his work.
ReplyDeleteThanks Babs, coffee. Freshly ground beans, medium setting, pour over, 1.25 litres a day, black, fairly strong - but not mud. Fill my cup (tall Yeti) and store the rest in a Stanley thermos I've had since the 90's, still keeps it piping hot until I'm finished drinking coffee for the day, usually between 1 & 2 pm.
ReplyDeleteIt appears I'm among a hefty demographic here that consumes both tea and coffee in an effort to regulate our caffeination levels. For joe, I like dark beans freshly ground and home pressed with a splash of very rich milk from a neighbors cow. Afternoons I switch to Assam or Ceylon tea brewed strong and British-style, rendered a darkish tan by the efforts of that same cow. I also occasionally enjoy a cuppa green tea, usually gunpowder, if I'm feeling too wired.
ReplyDeleteI lived a block away from the original Peets coffee shop in Berkeley in the mid '70's, so have been addicted to the whole poured over, freshly ground beans morning ritual thing ever since. Still, when in the mood for tea I go for Lapsang Souchong or Genmaicha.
ReplyDeleteLink
ReplyDeletehttps://we.tl/t-fMP487s7nU
Late to the party.
ReplyDeleteYou know that I'll stay high
Drinkin coffee till I die
Java blues
Thanks for the freeload
I'll play it when I need to remember what a naif I was in1970.
I guess that means I'll play it a lot.
I like your Pogo Possum pic, Jay!
DeleteI'll drink beer hot if it's not cold.
ReplyDelete