Thursday, May 30, 2024

Miles Davis - 'Birth Of The Cool'

 

Miles Davis’ 1957 album ‘Birth of the Cool’ is a modern jazz classic, a snapshot of the post-bebop direction that the young trumpeter was beginning to pursue at the ripe age of 22.


Miles leads his band of merry men [band of merry men? - Ed.]: George Russell, John Lewis, Lee Konitz, Kai Winding, Mike Zwerin, Al Haig, Max Roach, Gunther Schuller, and Al McKibbon, amongst a rotating cast of others.  They all congregated at arranger Gil Evans’ apartment on 55th Street in Manhattan, where they fleshed out their sound. 



The album’s title, Birth of the Cool, refers to the new style that Davis and his collaborators were pioneering. ‘Cool Jazz’ was characterized by a more relaxed and understated approach to improvisation, with an emphasis on melodic and harmonic subtlety.  The pioneering harmonies, complex chords, and voicing on the collection of songs were ahead of their time.  Even more impressive when you recall that the recordings happened almost a decade before their eventual release.  This style would go on to influence a wide range of musicians and genres, including West Coast jazz, bossa nova, and even rock music.



Following the album’s release, ‘Birth of the Cool’ would establish Davis as one of the most important figures in jazz history.  The album’s innovative sound, which featured slower tempos, softer tones, and a more relaxed approach to improvisation, helped to usher in a new era of jazz that would have a lasting impact on the genre.



While, 'Birth of the Cool' is one of the best cool jazz albums ever and one of Miles Davis’s best albums, it also helped to break down racial barriers in the jazz world. The album’s diverse group of musicians included both black and white performers, and its success helped to challenge the notion that jazz was exclusively a black art form.  Not only did the record set the tone for innovation, but its influence also stretched far beyond that of music and achieved serious social significance.  That’s quite an achievement, considering that Miles was in his early twenties when the sessions began.



Today’s freeload is the much sought after, and long out of print Japanese remaster, 1st press, 'Black Triangle' label CD.  This is the version that myself, and fellow "Audiophools" like.








For the freeload, tell us what some of your favorite groundbreaking albums are.



30 comments:

  1. Oh, Strictly Personal. They listened to nobody but themselves on that one. I'd never heard anything like it, and still haven't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Anthology Of American Folk Music, compiled by Harry Smith in 1952 from old 78s he had salvaged during WWII. During the war many old records were melted down for the raw materials. The anthology was one of the first archival releases of old material.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'The Anthology Of American Folk Music' is in the future posts pipeline.

      Delete
  3. Whenever I first heard The Doors or Jimi Hendrix. When I was a Boy Scout we were staying on Catalina Island for a week. I was cleaning the dining hall when The Doors - Light My Fire hit number one. They played the full version on AM Radio. Quite unusual at the time. It was being piped into the dining hall on their speakers. From there I was sold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually can't remember where I was when I heard my first Jimi Hendrix. But I do remember being invited to a church dance where me and some friends took over the stereo console and playing the Doors Weird Scenes Inside The Goldmine. And while me & my friends where entertained the church folk's couldn't wait to take wait to take over the stereo.

      Delete
  4. Hawkwind - Space Ritual. Got it as a cutout at Thrifty Drug Store. Just like I had with The Doors - Absolutely Live a few years earlier. But I was listening to the Hawkwind on an 8-track in the back of a pick up truck, on the way to see the Grateful Dead & the Who at A Day On The Green in Alameda. The driver pulled over and kicked my brother out of the front seat and had me bring my tapes up front because I had better music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great story! One groundbreaking album for me was "Half Machine Lip Moves" by Chrome. Their guitarist (Helios Creed) later played with Nik Turner's Space Ritual.

      "Fun House" by The Stooges was another.

      Delete
    2. Once upon a time, the same guy who was driving the truck, a friend of my brother, we went to his house to smoke pot and listen to record albums. As was the way back then. He introduced me to Wishbone Ash - Live Dates. I was blown away by the dual guitars. I introduced him to Games Gang - In Concert. Years later, 10 or 15 years, I hadn't seen him but we both showed up at another friend's wedding. First thing he asked me was if I'd brought any James Gang.

      Delete
    3. Agree with Jonder.
      An album to listen from start to end (if you can bear it)
      Bat

      Delete
  5. Its two lps, but over time they have become virtually inseparable when people refer to them - Rubber Soul and Revolver. When the were issued, you just knew that the days of I Wanna Hold Your Hand were in the rearview, and that something more in depth was happening. Still listen to them regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TRUTH, definitely changed things for them & us, thanks.

      Delete
    2. Which versions do you listen to, pmac?

      Delete
    3. I believe his go-to iterations are the rare Manuel And His Music Of The Mountains cover versions on the Music For Pleasure label, mastered by Bernie Grundman.

      Delete
    4. What Farq said...... I've actually started to listening just to the mono versions of both.

      Delete
  6. Free jazz-Ornette Coleman Giant steps- John Coltrane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perhaps "Freak Out" by the MOI. And / or "The Velvet Underground And Nico". The Verve label was on fire in those days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ornette Coleman’s “The Shape of Jazz” which launched the free jazz movement.

    Frank Sinatra’s “Wee Small Hours” which was the first true concept album

    Gbrand

    ReplyDelete
  9. Correction of my post:

    Ornette Coleman’s “The Shape of Jazz to Come” which launched the free jazz movement.

    Frank Sinatra’s “Wee Small Hours” which was the first true concept album.

    Gbrand

    ReplyDelete
  10. No particular order, Hot Rats, Remain In Light, The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill, Charlie Parker w/Strings, Switched On Bach, Will The Wolf Survive, The World Is A Ghetto, thanks Babs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. An Electric Storm by White Noise - nothing like it, still. But don't play the last track.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Link
    https://workupload.com/file/vhRMGFfPAZn

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Go-Betweens 1978 – 1990
    Not a greatest hits album, in the US they didn’t have any. Not exactly a best of, almost half the album is made up of b-sides or unreleased songs. I found it in a used CD store for $2.00 sometime in the mid 90s. By that time all their albums were o/p in the US. I had to wait until 2003 when the albums were reissued. For me the album was The-Go-Betweens 101: An Introductory Course.
    Thanks for the freeload Babs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Driving in the 6th grade high school carpool with Mr. Swig listening to KPOI and 'Whole Lotta Love' comes on.....

    Check out Van M and Them singing Gloria for the unsuspecting French...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhYTb5J2rNc

    ReplyDelete
  15. Phantom Of The Rock OperaMay 31, 2024 at 8:29 PM

    Took me a while to think of one but these are close to my heart. I am a crazy collector of music not just on line but I own thousands of items on vinyl and CD and I am particular drawn to compilations and particularly 60's compilations and boxsets partly because its the most convenient way to collect the many tens of thousands of rare 60's gems.

    Anyway first up is the original double album of 'Nuggets' which when released by Elektra in 1973 was I believe the first major US Garage and Psych retrospective and responsible for creation many hundreds of subsequent releases (Pebbles, Rhino's Nuggets, Highs In The Mid Sixties etc etc).

    The next one is close to my heart because it was made by a local second hand record store which I used to visit regularly and I bought my first copy of it there too and I like nugget was the first a whole sub-genre of releases. It is Perfumed Garden Volume 1, released in 1983 on Psycho records and which I believe was the first independently produced 60s UK psych compilation and in turn has generated so many other compilations not least the Rubble collection, all those on Psychic Circle and Past & Present Records and of course all the labels under the Cherry Red Records banner.

    It was albums like those two and Decca's 'Hard Up Heroes' (1974) and EMI's "Beat Merchants' (1977) that turned a fascination into an obsession.

    In the same ilk a mention not for vinyl but for their services to record collecting. The Record Collector magazine which since 1979 has been publishing articles about forgotten bands, their discographies and music and Verne Joynson whose books are the ultimate reference source for 1960's and early 1970's beat, psych and prog music for pretty much the whole planet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phantom Of the Rock OperaMay 31, 2024 at 8:31 PM

      Oops "and I like nuggets" should read " and like nuggets"

      Delete
  16. These seemed groundbreaking during my musical coming of age in the early 80s Punk scene and broadened the musical horizon:
    Red Cross - Born Innocent
    Meat Puppets - Meat Puppets II
    Husker Du - Zen Arcade

    ReplyDelete
  17. Listening today in the car to Gene Clark & The Gosdin Brothers.
    Seems to have invented psychedelic country rock.
    If it's really Chris Hillman on bass he developed massively over 18 months.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think I first heard of both of these bands on late night short-wave radio broadcasts from Radio Caroline - I think it was - in 1970:
    Soft Machine: Third
    Touch: Touch
    Babs: any chance of a re-up of this Miles Davis album?

    Brian

    ReplyDelete