![]() |
| Image from the 'Davey and Goliath Meet The Supremes' TV special. |
The Supremes, the most commercially successful girl group
in Pop Music history, were one of the jewels in Motown Records' artist stable. Given wonderful material by the amazing songwriting and production team consisting of Lamont Dozier and brothers Brian and Eddie Holland, aka 'Holland–Dozier–Holland', the group
scored numerous number 1 Pop hits, as did singer Diana Ross when she left the
group and went solo. Motown's bright, modern and uptown image as a
label had a lot to do with the way these ladies gracefully and elegantly
presented themselves and took over a song.
Today's freeload is a very nice vinyl rip of the limited edition double 180gm vinyl LP pressing from my collection.
Side One.
The Supremes
1. Where Did Our Love Go
2. Baby Love
3. Come See About Me
4. Stop! In The Name Of Love
5. Back In My Arms Again
6. I Hear A Symphony
7. You Can’t Hurry Love
Side Two.
1. You Keep Me Hangin’ On
2. Love Is Here And Now You’re Gone
3. The Happening
Diana Ross & The Supremes
4. Reflections
5. Love Child
6. I’m Gonna Make You Love Me – with The Temptations
7. Someday We’ll Be Together
Side Three.
The Supremes
1. Stoned Love
Diana Ross
2. Ain’t No Mountain High Enough
3. Touch Me In The Morning
4. Theme From Mahogany (Do You Know Where You’re Going To?)
5. Love Hangover
Side Four.
1. The Boss
2. Upside Down
3. I’m Coming Out
4. Endless Love – with Lionel Ritchie
Bonus Track:
5. You Keep Me Hangin’ On – Almighty Mix Edit
For the freeload, tell us what your favorite Girl Group song is.


Eternal Flame, The Bangles. Susanna Hoffs not only wrote this swell song but stripped naked to record her vocals, showing a dedication thankfully absent from today's pop shantoozies.
ReplyDelete"shantoozies"...the birth of a coined phrase if ever there was one.
DeleteWell played good Sir… Well played!
It's from Some Like It Hot I think
DeleteGoing Down To Liverpool - Bangles (also very single track on side one of this LP rip!) ....& Our Lips Are Sealed - Go-Go's ---jeez that wasn't easy. BF
ReplyDeleteBe My Baby by the Ronettes
ReplyDeleteSally Go Round The Roses is my favorite girl group song, and I predict that this will be my new favorite freeload from this blog (once Babs posts it).
ReplyDeleteyour wish is my doodah guv
Deletehttps://workupload.com/file/KnXeR2Bgu5m
I recall first hearing this on French radio - Salut Les Copains - and thinking I'd never heard anything quite like it before.
Girls5eva (Netflix)
ReplyDeleteThe Crystals' - 'Then He Kissed Me'
ReplyDeleteThe Pointer Sisters - Yes We Can Can. Thanks Babs
ReplyDeleteUsed to like Leader of the Pack by The Shangri-Las
ReplyDeleteThe Chiffons - "Nobody Knows What's Going On In My Mind But Me"
ReplyDeleteWill You Love Me Tomorrow - Shirelles
ReplyDeleteMany a young lady, in 1960, decided the answer was yes, and lost their virginity.
DeleteA wonderful record. Everyone knew what it was about, and it flew under the adult radar.
DeleteJust the term "Girl Groups" puts me between Doo-wop and Surf Music. Sorta the Phil Spector years. But you've had songs coming into my brain as I remember them.
ReplyDeletemeaning, Your question has brought back memories I haven't thought of for years, I'm remembering them as they bubble up.
DeleteDa Doo Ron Ron by The Crystals
ReplyDeleteMy wife used to like Chapel of Love by The Dixie Cups
ReplyDeleteWell no enormous list from me today but a small selection. Funny isn't it how no one has mentioned any Motown. Well I'm going to change that because these six (4 of which are Motown) are hard for me to separate (in no particular order:
ReplyDelete1) Please Mr. Postman - Marvellettes
2) Needle In A Haystack - Velvelletes
3) Dancing In The Street - Martha & The Vandellas
4) Stop In The Name Of Love - The Supremes
5) A Lovers Concerto - The Toys
6) Lady Marmalade - Labelle
I'm just glad no one has mentioned the Spice Girls
Delete... or Bananarama.
Delete...or The Mary Jane Girls.
DeleteGreat - you guys just prevented me from posting my top3 girl group songs.
DeleteI was so sure pmac would go with the Dixie Cups. You think you know someone and then they peel back another layer, like an onion.
Deletepmas There was always Destiny's Child.....
Delete"Rum and Coca-Cola" - The Andrews Sisters
ReplyDelete“Iko Iko" - The Dixie Cups
ReplyDeleteNot sure if it's my favorite but I do like the "Hammond Song" by The Roches
ReplyDeleteIt's A Sin To Tell A Lie - The Quebe Sisters
ReplyDeletehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QANZnAKDvc8
Thanks Babs
"Nothing but a Heartache" by the Flirtations.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I'm Team Ronettes, with "Be My Baby." Shout-outs to the Boswell Sisters and the Pipettes, too. :)
ReplyDelete"Who Invited You' by The Donnas.
ReplyDeleteLove that album!
DeleteLink
ReplyDeletehttps://we.tl/t-1CmZl7Z95A
I'm surprised no one saw 'Davey and Goliath Meet The Supremes' TV special.
Don't remember seeing it in TV Guide. Loved The Supremes, not a big fan of Davey & Goliath. Maybe watch it on mute & listen to Grateful Dead with some good weed?
ReplyDeleteMet Him On A Sunday The Shirelles
ReplyDeleteCheminant À La Ville Kate and Anna McGarrigle
I'm Into Something Good by Earl-Jean McCrea (from the Cookies). Does that count?
ReplyDeleteMister Sandman by The Andrews Sisters can be a real earworm
ReplyDelete"Remember (Walking in the Sand)" The Shangri-Las
ReplyDeleteThe Chordettes
DeleteSo many good songs posted. So many memories attached to those days.
ReplyDeleteThe Blue Orchids – Oo-Chang-A-Lang (1964)
ReplyDelete"Needle In A Haystack" always reminds me of this brilliant skit from the Tracey Ullman Show, where she and Martin Short perform a song from the Elvis Presley-Ann Margret movie that never was.
ReplyDeletehttps://youtu.be/01pHJ-fPM8A?si=7bChmg82KdD7AT8o
The Shangri-Las
ReplyDeleteUm, The Supremes
ReplyDelete