This box set is just one portion of Tito Puente’s career from 1956 to 1960, and while it may be named 'Quatro', there’s actually cinco 180 gram LPs inside.
This vinyl release was limited to 5000 copies worldwide. Digitally re-mastered from original recordings, and has a 46-page booklet (included in the freeload), that features new liner notes covering the era of
1955-1960 plus never before seen photos and memorabilia, along with
quotes from Tony Bennett, Emilio Estefan, Sheila E, Marc Anthony and others.
‘Quatro: The Definitive Collection’ captures a brief moment in time when Tito Puente’s musical ambitions aligned perfectly with a somewhat adventurous yet dance-hungry record-buying public. After these RCA Victor records, nothing would be the same for Tito.
Cuban Carnival, issued in 1956, produced some hits that have endured to the present day. " Pa' Los Rumberos" was later covered by Santana; "Que Sera" (What Is It?) has been covered by more Salsa bands than I can count, and Cuban Fantasy has been covered by numerous Latin Jazz bands.
Night Beat, a big band instrumental album issued in 1957, throws down some serious "CuBop", especially in the tracks "Mambo Beat", "Night Hawk" and "Emerald Beach", which can hold their own with any of the Latin Jazz coming out of other big bands at the time and still hold up to this day. Tracks like "Sea Breeze" and "Carioca" alternate nicely between straight ahead and Latin Jazz. "The Late, Late Scene" mixes in a nice Blues motif. There is also some tasty Afro Cuban in a 6/8 time signature, as in "Night Ritual". 'Night Beat' also has some wailing saxophone solos throughout that a lot a people unfamiliar with Puente's work from this period wouldn't automatically associate with him, along with some solid trumpet work from Doc Severinsen. This is probably the recording from the early part of his career that you could use if you ever needed to settle an argument about whether Tito should be taken seriously in the Jazz department.

Dance Mania, issued in 1958, remains one of his most famous dance albums and includes the enduring classic "Complicación". This was before the Salsa era, and the songs still had specific dances associated with them - "Mambo", "Son Montuno", "Guaguanco". "Mambo Gozon" illustrates why Tito, along with Tito Rodríguez, and Machito were referred to as "The Big Three" in New York at the height of the Mambo craze. There is also a lot of nice vibraphone work in this recording, and although Tito's most popular title "El Rey" is usually associated with his work with the timbales, historically speaking, his pioneering use of the vibraphone in this music provided an enduring contribution to Latin Jazz.

Revolving Bandstand, issued in 1960, is an interesting face off between Tito Puente's and trombonist Buddy Morrow's bands playing the same classics such as "Autumn Leaves" and "Harlem Nocturne" but alternating styles as they go. Rather than separate takes of each song, the arrangers had each band take passages within the same song. Consequently, there are regular shifts between straight ahead and Latin Jazz throughout every track in the recording. In the wrong hands, this could have been a disaster, which probably explains why it hasn't been tried very often, but on this recording is seamless.

A fifth bonus CD titled Bonus Edition includes the definitive versions of "Ran Kan Kan" and "Timbal y Bongo" along with seven outtakes of "Pa' Los Rumberos" and some other surprises. The outtakes provide some insight into how demanding Tito could be during the recording process.
If you are already a Tito Puente fan, Quatro is a must-have collector's item. If you like "Cubop" and the Latin Jazz of the 50s but aren't that familiar with Tito's work from that period, you should also check this out without hesitation, as there will be some revelations for you in these recordings (especially Night Beat). Ditto if you are any sort of Mambo fan at all. These sessions went down before Salsa came up, and people still remembered that different rhythms had different names.
For the freeload, tell us about some of the foods you don't eat.
Thanks Babs. Very excited for Quatro! Saw Tito Puente at a Clearwater Jazz Festival, near the beach, many years ago, amazing band & a great time was had by all.
ReplyDeleteNo haggis, no organs (or brass), I'm sure there are other things, but since I don't eat em, I don't think about either. Thanks Babs
As a kid I despised Brussels sprouts, probably due to the way they were cooked, the smell of old socks, yuk... Over the years my eating habits have improved but in general anything that smells bad, e.g. the Thai fermented fish sauce, I stay away from. Strangely enough I don't mind the smell of Durian at all, but its taste is plain weird, no idea what I'm eating!
ReplyDeleteDurian and the similar Jackfruit, are sometimes available during the summer in Chinatown, near me. I'll eat them once or twice a year.
DeleteEverything fennel.
ReplyDeleteNow a days I gotta watch out for heartburn. I have several hot sauces and I love them, but use them more sparingly than I did before. Today my neighbor gave me some tamales, said they were dry and I should doctor them with some hot sauce. Well. here we go...
ReplyDeleteRed meat. Gave it up about 10 years ago, and have never looked back. After I was off of it for about 2 months, one night on the way back from dropping off Ms Mac at the airport, I stopped at a burger joint. One bite and I couldn't handle it, and I paid the price at the pump later (so to speak).
ReplyDeleteI had a similar experience a long time ago at a cookout, with a cheeseburger.
DeletePotatoes will kill you! Won't eat fries or chips. Bread is bad but if you choose you might get through it.
ReplyDeleteI certainly interested in Bonus Edition ( Ran Kan Kan... )
ReplyDeleteplus info of musicians not have in discogs:
Tito Puente And His Orchestra – Night Beat ( New York, February 8, 1957 & March 8, 1957 ) discogs info musicians in the LP
& the others plus info of Bruyninckx :
Jimmy Frisaura (Vincent Frisaura ) (Assistant Conductor, Trumpet)
Mike Shaine, Gene Rapetti,Francis Williams, Myron D. Shain, John Frosk (tp)
Hale Rood, Mort Troutman, Al Lorraine,Bob Ascher, Eddie Bert, Sonny Russo (tb)
Eddie Caine, Allan Lohrfield (as)
Tito Puente – Cuban carnival / Carnaval Cubano ( 1956 ) New York, April 3-6, 1956
Have plus info of the singers ?
information from Tony Molina (comments he left on YouTube on some of Tito's songs where Tony sings)
Probably the big band songs are arranged by Marty Holmes (I think except the percussions & Tito)
info musicians of cduniverse,Bruyninckx,organissimo,audiokat, clasicalatinastereo
It is not specified if the same musicians played on all the songs, it is the list of those who played on the album, probably the changes are in the winds when there are fewer musicians.
Tito Puente - vibraphone, timbales, background vocals
Bernie Glow - trumpet
Nick Travis- trumpet
Jerry Sanfino (Gerald Sanfino)-saxophones and flutes
Eddie Bert - trombone
Alan Fields/Allen Lehrfield (Fields) -saxophones and flutes
Alvin Gellers - piano
Andres Forda (Andres "Merenguito" Ford)- trumpet
Bobby Rodriguez (Robert Rodriguez) - bass
Dave Kurtzer - saxophone, flute
Ed Caine (Eddie Caine)-Flute, Saxophone
Frank Lo Pinto - trumpet
Gene Rapetti - trumpet
Jimmy Frisaura (Vincent "Jimmy" Frisaura)- trumpet
Jose Madera-saxophones and flutes
Marty Holmes (arr)-Flute, Saxophone
Robert Archer - trombone
Sam Seavors - trumpet
Sam Takvorian (Tak Takvorian) - trombone
Santo Russo (Sonny Russo)- trombone
Bob Ascher - trombone
Sol Schlinger-saxophones and flutes
John "Dandy" Rodriguez Sr.-Cuban Percussion
Mongo Santamaria-Cuban Percussion,Percussion
Willie Bobo (William Correa)-Cuban Percussion,Percussion
Carlos "Patato" Valdes-Cuban Percussion,Percussion
Candido - percussion
El Viejo Macucho (vocals on # 10; other vocalists/chorus not identified)
Yayo El Indio-Vocals in Guaguanco Margarito,and backing vocals (in all sung tracks?)
Tony Molina-Lead vocalist in:
Cual Es La Idea (What's The Idea),Pa' Los Rumberos,Oye Mi Guaguancó (Listen To The Guaguanco),Happy Cha-Cha-Cha,Guaguanco Margarito.
track Guaguanco Margarito:
Vocals Lead Tony Molina, plus Yayo El Indio,Willie Bobo. Same in the other vocal tracks ?
I haven't eaten meat, poultry, seafood and eggs since the early 1970s. I do eat a few dairy products, but not on a regular basis. One vegetable, I've never liked is asparagus.
ReplyDeleteCoconut, Bananas, Raisins, Liver, Gizzards, and Calf Fries. On my short list
ReplyDeleteI'll eat almost anything but I don't understand how people can eat raw onions. Much less logical is a personal aversion to anything coffee flavored - I'm really sorry I can't enjoy tiramisu.
ReplyDeleteBananas, I like the flavor but not the ......consistensy.
ReplyDeleteI won't eat fried liver (although I do like liver sausage), or insects (yet!)
ReplyDeleteI'll second the dislike of liver. My first experience with liver was at my college cafeteria. When it was served, only one guy at our table of twenty ordered it, and he emptied damn near half a bottle of ketchup on it before eating it.
DeleteI don't eat anything green or orange for spiritual reasons (I really don't -- potatoes, corn and tomatoes are the closest I get to ripping a living organism out of the ground and eating it)
ReplyDeleteLink
ReplyDeletehttps://we.tl/t-V9W4gCyHaG
Thank you Babs, Tito has never sounded so good. I had a cassette of a couple of these, in the 80's. The fidelity on your version is far superior. Must have is absolutely correct. I'm still gonna turn it way up.
ReplyDeleteI don't eat Melton Mowbray pork pies, mainly because I can't get them.
ReplyDeleteI visited Melton Mowbray, in 1974. Didn't eat a pork pie, though.
DeleteIf anyone out there could ship me a pallet load of them, preferably in a refrigerated (but not freezer) container, I'd be grateful.
DeleteMargarine, I think it's a petroleum product.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the freeload
You're welcome, Just another Jay.
DeleteMy mom told me that when they used to buy Margarine they would give you a color packet to stir into the margarine to turn it yellow like butter.
DeleteWell we've already discussed Phaal Curries. My most despised food of all time was my old junior school date suet pudding which would literally make me wretch while being so dry (even with custard) it would cause your jaw to seize up. it was a truly horrendous experience especially as they made you clear your plate.
ReplyDeleteI don't do blue cheeses as they all taste as I imagine sweaty socks would taste and I find parsnips to sweet as a vegetable (carrots,swedes and turnips are fine).
Other than that I'm not fond of whelks (too chewy) and would never eat brain or (jellied) eels. I'd also object to all the weird and wonderful things that traditional chinese food might involve and these days horse as well albeit, I believe I was fed it on school trip to France unknowingly when I was young.
But generally as a confirmed omnivore I'm pretty open minded about food as my waste line would indicate.
I hit return without thinking and without saying thank you.
DeleteSo Babs thanks as always for your excellent selections and long may they continue!
Oh yes and I'd forgotten 'mushy peas' and pease pudding or any other sort of smashed up or reconstituted pea material. I may have working class English roots but there are somethings in my heritage that are best my national that are best forgotten!
DeleteAnd "Chips N' Gravy" (or any version of gravy with Chips or fries) is a culinary blasphemy that should be criminalised!
Lets type that again:
DeleteI may have working class English roots but there are somethings in my national heritage that are best forgotten!
If you don't like mushy peas, you've probably never had them done right. Like Yorkshire pudding, it's simple food but difficult to prepare. Tinned or frozen mushy peas are a long way from the real thing.
DeleteThank you Babs
ReplyDelete¡Disfruta de mi amigo!
Delete