Every year (sometimes more often), we've come to expect new discoveries from the
vaults by Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, Bill
Evans, and Sonny Rollins. But in 2017, who knew there were hidden gems by Monk, and from a professionally recorded studio session, no less!
This session had never been released to the public before; the tapes
were thought lost for all these decades. Usually, when recovered
sessions are heralded as "long-lost," a quick listening reveals why.
But the result in this case is a surprisingly terrific Monk album.
Any occasion for unreleased Thelonious Monk recordings is one for
celebration. The discovery of his excellent soundtrack sessions for
Roger Vadim's
film 'Les Liaisons Dangereuses' from 1960, an adaptation of Pierre
Choderlos de Laclos' 18th century novel, happened by accident.
Producers Zev Feldman, François Le Xuan, and Frederic Thomas found these
tapes while searching French saxophonist Barney Wilen's manager's
archives in search of unreleased material. What they found were the
original soundtrack and full sessions cut in New York during a single
day in 1959 – the same fertile year that yielded the Monk's At Town
Hall; 5 by Monk by 5, and Thelonious Alone in San Francisco. Like these
recordings, this soundtrack showcases Monk at the very top of his game.
In 1959, Monk was commissioned to compose and play the score for a Roger Vadim film, 'Les Liaisons Dangereuses' an adaptation of Pierre Choderlos de Laclos' 18th century novel. By the time of the recording date at Nola Penthouse Studio in Manhattan, he hadn't written anything new. But after watching a print of the movie, he took several tunes from his catalog—"Rhythm-a-ning," "Crepuscule with Nellie," "Well You Needn't," "Pannonica," "Ba-Lue Bolivar Ba-Lues-Are," "Light Blue," and "By and By", and set them to breezier paces or moodier cadences than usual.
For various reasons, including health issues and legal troubles, Monk had no time to travel or compose original music for the film. For this session he brought along tunes from his repertoire – as was his customary practice throughout his career – and reinvented them for the film with his working quartet of saxophonist Charlie Rouse, drummer Art Taylor, and bassist Sam Jones, with the addition of Barney Wilen (who should be far better known to American jazz fans). The album is one of the few occasions in the pianist's discography where he employed two tenor players, the other being "Thelonious Monk at the Blackhawk", with Harold Land alongside Rouse.
CDs includes the actual soundtrack music as used in sequence, but never released. "Rhythm-a-Ning" is followed by "Crepuscule with Nellie" (his wife was in the studio), "Six in One," and "Well You Needn't," all of which are sprightly and at times even hot. There are two solo takes of "Pannonica" also used, along with a quintet version. It is notable to note that Baroness Pannonica de Koenigswarter, Monk's friend and patron, was also present. "Ba-Lue-Bolivar Ba-Lues-Are" is followed by a brief "Light Blue" and the short gospel hymn "By and By," which makes its first-ever appearance here.
Disc two contains alternate takes, a pair of masters for a 45 rpm single, an edited version of "Well You Needn't," and the jewel: a 14-minute in-process recording of "Light Blue" complete with studio dialogue. It's a cousin to the making of "'Round Midnight" with Gerry Mulligan that showed up in the '80s: A one-of-a-kind revelatory document. This music was not only professionally recorded, but preserved with archival standards, making for an excellent fidelity reproduction.
CD1
- Rhythm-A-Ning
- Crepuscule With Nellie
- Six In One
- Well, You Needn't
- Pannonica (Solo 1)
- Pannonica (Solo 2)
- Pannonica (Quartet)
- Ba-Lue Bolivar Ba-Lues-Are
- Light Blue
- By and By (We'll Understand It Better By And By)
- Rhythm-A-Ning (Alternate)
- Crepuscule With Nellie (Take 1)
- Pannonica (45 rpm Master)
- Light Blue (45 rpm Master)
- Well, You Needn't (Unedited)
- Light Blue (Making Of)
Mastered from the original master tapes.
Musicians:
Thelonious Monk - Piano
Charlie Rouse - Tenor Saxophone
Barney Wilen - Tenor Saxophone on "1,2,8,11"
Sam Jones - Bass
Art Taylor - Drums
For the freeload, tell us about something you did that was dangerous.


On a scale of 1 to 10, I suppose this ranks as a 2 at best (I've never really been an adrenalin junky) on the danger stakes but as a kid I with my friends used to free climb the local chalk cliffs on the bay where I grew up which were about 30 or 40 foot high. they were much higher a mile or so down the coast but there they were too sheer to climb.
ReplyDeleteAnyway being chalk they weren't the most solid of climbing mediums but given vulnerable to erosion numerous ledges and hollows were present and we used to climb up to them albeit no one tried to climb directly from bottom to top. Needless to say every now and then someone took a tumble and I fell from around 15ft one time but luckily, despite falling onto chalk and flint rubble at the base of the cliffs other than a few bumps and bruises I was unhurt and thought nothing of it really. It was just what we did to pass the summer holidays.
Other than that probably the other most dangerous thing was putting out a car electrical fire just using buckets of water one time which to start with threatened to engulf the car. Trying to direct buckets of water at a fire coming out from under the steerring column isn't the easiest thing to deal with like that.
Thankfully though my wife and I managed to put it out both before it spread to the fuel system and really did some damage and before the fire service arrived. They commended us on doing a thorough job. We'd actually completely doused it but I don't think thats what they recommend people do in such circumstances.
The thing was it was too close in proximity to my parents and their neighbours houses and an explosion would possibly have caused much wider damage. It needed to be put out. Again though I'm sure people have had much more dangerous experiences.
I went rattlesnake hunting once. We got one too. We'd been hiking through the canyon a little more than an hour and decided we were done. We headed back to the truck. Bill walked right past it, it rattled, I jumped back, very ascared. Bill turned around and placed the cord on a broomstick with an eye screw into the broomstick around the snakes neck, grabbed it and placed it in the gunny sack. Bill wasn't nearly as ascared as I was. He then threw the gunny sack with the alive rattlesnake in it, over his shoulder as we hiked out of the area. That said, other dangerous things I've done were probably more stupid than actually dangerous, but be assured, there are many. Thanks Babs.
ReplyDeleteOn time (in '68 or '69), I was surfing Hermosa Beach, and someone yelled “SHARK!”, and I should have immediately headed to the beach. Instead, I saw the perfect wave behind me and waited for it, when I stood up to catch the wave, around five feet to my right, I saw a BIG freaking blue shark just under the surface.
ReplyDeleteAs a kid, I was freaked by big spiders. Big banana spiders were common in Durban, a South African port town and they terrorized my dreams after waking up one morning to one on the wall above my bed. Cut to my 20s. Day hiking in the Angelus Crest near LA, I came across a a large ginger-colored tarantula clumsily traversing the trail. On impulse and screwing up my courage, I scooped it up into a sandwich bag and brought it back home in my knapsack. My kids were excited and named her Tanya, who then took up residence in an old fish tank and survived for years on bugs and mealworms. In time I was able to put my hand in the tank and Tanya would saunter onto my palm. The first time was scary but in time the ritual became charming. Tanya fell from a high bookshelf one day and after that she wasted away quickly. Tanya was my facing-fear guru.
ReplyDeleteLink
ReplyDeletehttps://we.tl/t-PhEW2Np10p
Thanks for this Babs. After all, my religion is Monk.
DeleteEnjoy, SHOON!
Delete"Tractor Swapping" Two bored teenagers mowing 50 acre hay fields. When you passed your oncoming partner, jump from the moving tractor, run a lap around your tractor and mower, then jump into the seat of you partner's moving tractor. Repeat intermittently for six or seven hours. We were bored idiots.
ReplyDelete700 lb roll of carpet delivered to a federal courthouse project that I was the lead on. The truck that delivered it was too low for the height of the dock and the overhead lift would only work vertically and not horizontally. We literally had one day to unload the caroet and install it under the terms of the contract. So, I did my best Slim Pickens impression and had the carpet roll raised in the lift and then climbed on top of the roll and started to "swing" it back and forth until I felt it was going far enough over the top of the dock to cut it loose from the overhead lift. It landed on the dock with the loudest damn thud, to the point that nearby car alarms were triggered. Don't try this at home, kids. And, yeah, it was completely stupid of me to have done it.
ReplyDeleteWhere there is danger, stupidity is likely to follow I guess. YMMV
ReplyDeleteIt's been my observation, that many times it starts with the phrase, "Hold my beer"
DeleteWe drove my wife's '71 Ford Pinto (lime green) for several years without blowing up. Does that count?
ReplyDelete-notBob
In the early 1980's I was traveling through Pakistan's tribal area and visited a town called Darra;
ReplyDeletehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darra_Adam_Khel
My visit lasted for about 1 hour before I was escorted out and put on a bus back to Peshawar, but that gave me just enough time to buy a 'pen gun' with 10 bullets or so. At the time I thought it was a really cool souvenir, in hindsight I was a total idiot! I carried it with me during my further travels in Pakistan and later in Sri Lanka, before sending it back home by seamail...
Climbing boulders and wall scrambles without ropes. (A fall from 8 feet put an end to that!) Being a passenger in the car with pops driving. Surfing next to servicemen on r&r in Hawaii paddling for waves for their first time.
ReplyDeleteMy brother-in-law, neighbor, was driving a Pinto station wagon (orange orange) when I moved up here. This year alone he has already caught 11 rattlesnakes. Keeping the neighborhood safe.
ReplyDelete