Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Donald Byrd - 'Byrd in Flight'

 


'Byrd in Flight' was one of the first Jazz records, I ever owned, it was gifted to me for Christmas 1960, by my then piano teacher Mark, who was an early 60s hipster/beatnik kind of guy.  I have literally listened to 'Byrd in Flight', thousands upon thousands of times.

Released in December 1960, 'Byrd in Flight' was pieced together from three different recording sessions from earlier that year.  The core band for these sessions consists of trumpeter Donald Byrd, tenor saxophonist Hank Mobley, pianist Duke Pearson, and drummer Lex Humphries, with either Doug Watkins or Reggie Workman on bass.  Alto saxophonist Jackie McLean also makes a guest appearance on two tracks. 

Duke Pearson composed the bulk of the material for this session, though Byrd also contributes two original compositions.  The first of these is "Ghana," an energetic tune with Afro-Cuban rhythms, and nice solos from both Donald and Hank Mobley.  Byrd's other original, "Lex" swings happily along, with an interesting call-and-response approach between the horns and the drums.  Here Donald's solo mixes long-winded (in a good way) bop phrases with more simple, lyrical lines to good effect, while Hank Mobley takes more of a straight bebop approach, but with intricately clever phrasing and a slightly laid-back feel. "Little Boy Blue" is the sole cover tune on the album, and is a ballad feature for Byrd.  His expressive trumpet tone and his simple, lyrical solo that's based largely around the melody is the highlight of the piece, that said, Duke Pearson's excellent accompaniment is sublime.

"Gate City" is the first of three Duke Pearson compositions, and is a Gospel-tinged blues number, in which most of the players stick to the realm of blues traditions.  Bassist Reggie Workman gets some room to shine on the slow "Bo," another Duke Pearson originals with breaks in the melody for bass fills.  Jackie McLean takes the first solo and gives the tune a healthy dose of laid-back bop, while Donald's solo is spacious, lyrical and accurately described as a "speech-like, talking solo" by Nat Hentoff in the liner notes.  The album closes with the final Pearson original "My Girl Shirl," a minor tune with unusual changes and a wonderfully contrapuntal horn line in the bridge.  Once again, Jackie McLean starts out the soloing with a bold statement, with lyrical lines that accentuate his sharp, incisive tone, and then Donald takes a more bop-inflected solo.

'Byrd in Flight' is one fine hard bop album.  The original songs are well-written and executed, and the single cover tune functions well as the album's ballad. Donald Byrd, Hank Mobley, Jackie McLean and Duke Pearson play consistently great solos.

If you're a fan of hard bop releases from the Blue Note label, you won't be disappointed by this one.  If you already have it, the freeload is a
24bit/192kHz vinyl rip, and makes for a nice upgrade.

For the freeload, what was the oddest movie you've ever seen?





29 comments:

  1. I suppose Meshes Of The Afternoon. Odd and quite brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that, a long time ago, at an all night film festival.

      Delete
    2. Very trippy...

      Delete
  2. Although "Begotten" is the creepiest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alain Resnais’ ‘L'Année dernière à Marienbad’ (Last Year at Marienbad). You can’t figure this film out, no matter what drugs you take. That said, I have the DVD, and watch it every year over the holidays, with my youngest daughter, and eldest grandson, it’s become a tradition (along with ‘Broadway Danny Rose’). Afterward we play a mathematical game of strategy called, ‘Nim’, which they play in ‘L'Année dernière à Marienbad’ using matchsticks. I play the winner of the daughter / grandson game. I’m undefeated. Actually, my husband was able to defeat me once, but I had a lot of wine to drink (that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last Year At Marienbad is hard to beat but I nominate Uncle Boonmee Who Can Remember His Past Lives. In this Thai film departed family members are very much present in daily life even as they undergo bizarre transformations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phantom Of The Rock OperaMay 22, 2024 at 9:45 PM

    And soon I read the question. Immediately the word 'Eraserhead' popped up. I don't remember it that well now. I could only watch it once but I know at the time I saw it I didn't have a clue what on earth David Lynch was trying to relate with it. All I knew was it was seriously disturbing.

    I also recall a film called 'Joe's Apartment' which featured talking (and singing) cockroaches with voices similar to the Chipmunks. The story was pretty standard. Evil developer (played by Robert Vaughan) trying to knock down old apartment block and Joe (Jerry O'Connell) and the cockroaches stop him. Needless to say it lost are $8.5 million dollars (it 'only' cost $13 million). Whilst it was bizarre some of it was mildly amusing in a particularly gross sort of way.

    Turns out it was MTV's first ever movie. Certainly an interesting way to announce ones selves on Hollywood Boulevard. Sadly, none of the cockroaches were nominated for an Oscar.

    Here's one of the roaches musical extravaganzas. "Funky Towel". Its quite something to behold:

    https://youtu.be/Iw_zUUE4BE0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phantom, for the cockroach video. Reminds me of the cockroaches in the Freak Brothers comix.

      Delete
  6. A 1966 western called The Shooting with Jack Nicholson & Warren Oates. I saw it on TV and could not scrutinize it properly. Sort of a low budget Seraphim Falls. A lady leads two cowboys through the desert. Later joined by gunslinger Nicholson. I think the lady and her child may have been killed by Warren Oats character. In the end Warren Oats abruptly shoots a guy that may be Warren Oats too. Perhaps to keep him from later killing the lady and her child. Sort of a full circle kind of thing. I need to see this movie again.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062262/?ref_=nm_flmg_t_57_act

    ReplyDelete
  7. Without mentioning Zachariah, oops. Honorable mention to the first time I watched UHF by Weird Al Yankovic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nosferatu & Cabinet of Doctor Caligari were strange.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Freaks (1932). OK, I'm outta here. Too many old movies coming to mind. Wish I'd seen Eraserhead, Phantom. Been trying but it is out of my reach. I've read it's very strange.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Lobster. Movie about a weird universe, in which if your partner dies, you have 45 days to find another love or you turn into an animal. Its disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I dunno about "odd", but Tarkovsky's "Stalker" is just about the weirdest movie I ever saw. "Howard the Duck" is damned odd, but unwatchable. "Rubber", about a killer tire (!) is certainly odd, but also a lot of fun.

    Today's trippy animation:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnegTSijfDI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked Howard The Duck. Even took my son to see it. He remembers it to this day. Thanks for the link Farq.

      Delete
  12. I have to agree with Eraserhead.

    For a very disturbing take on ‘oddness’ I’d vote for The Holy Mountain (1973), directed by Alejandro Jodorowsky. I’d heard about this film for years but only watched it recently, it really is very odd and not always in a good way. Jodorowsky was also planning to make a version of Dune (Frank Herbert) in the 1970’s but it never happened, there is a fascinating documentary about the aborted film though.

    The fun cockroach video (above) reminded me of Jan Svankmajer, another 3 minutes of his extreme weirdness below.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8y_UNelcXo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like so many of your freeload queries, Babs, arriving at a single answer seems nigh impossible having seen a shitload of strangeness emanating from screens large and small. Aside from many of those cited above, a coupla my fave freaky flicks are "Bad Boy Bubby" and "Le Grande Buffet." The first concerns a 30-something child-man who escapes from his lifetime off captivity at the hands of his extremely twisted mum. "Buffet" is a tribute to wretched excess in which four men decamp to a crumbling villa where they intend to gorge themselves to death on haute cuisine. Which puts me in mind of "The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover," and really, every other film Peter Greenaway has made. And then there's that whole Jodorowsky canon…hence the impossibility of offering a single best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a disturbed read try Chuck Palahniuk's novel, Haunted.

      Delete
  14. I just watched eXistenZ, wild, wacky, & weird!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Suspiria (1977)(NOT the 2018 remake)
    Directed by Italian director Dario Argento. He used a Technicolor printing process (also used in The Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind (1939) that made the on screen colors more vivid. He focused on the color red throughout - and boy was it RED. I saw it in a largely empty really old movie theatre and it's the first time I remember watching a movie thinking - "what the fuck is going on here? - this is HIGHLY disturbing". It was Argento's highest grossing US release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The opening reel of Suspiria is one of the most intense audio-visual experiences any film can offer. Too bad that the rest of the movie, while having its moments, can't quite keep up.

      Delete
    2. You are spot on about that OBG.

      Delete
  16. A bunch of films come to mind.

    For arthouse oddity, Terrence Malick's "Tree Of Life" comes to mind.

    On the other side of the spectrum, there's the French low-budget splatter oddity "Baby Blood"...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Link
    https://we.tl/t-L7BbQe1seB

    ReplyDelete
  18. "Bad taste" Self-descibed New zealander movie
    Bat

    ReplyDelete
  19. Not really movies but I saw some film work by Stan Brakhage in my Experimental Film class back in the 80s that was beautiful and way ahead of it's time. Eraserhead and Holy Mountain would have to be on my list as well.

    ReplyDelete