
Charlie Haden, a musician, composer, bandleader, educator, producer, and activist, crafted a remarkable collection of work throughout his extensive and productive career. As a member of saxophonist Ornette Coleman’s early bands, bassist Charlie emerged as one of free jazz’s pioneering figures. However, Charlie has never confined to any of jazz’s numerous stylistic niches, and has embraced a variety of musical genres, ranging from Jazz to Country to so-called "World Music".
Charlie’s Quartet West, specialized in creating a nostalgic, cinematic atmosphere, frequently performed classic American standards, underappreciated movie themes, and jazz classics from the 1930s and 1940s. Their records elegantly blended live quartet instrumentation with lush string arrangements, occasionally incorporating vintage vocal recordings from past eras, such as historic audio from Jo Stafford, Jeri Southern, Billie Holiday, and the guitar of Django Reinhardt.
The Quartet West are:
Charlie Haden on bass
Ernie Watts on tenor saxophone
Alan Broadbent on piano
Larance Marable on drums
So without further ado, for your dining and dancing pleasure we have:

Some of you might be thinking to yourselves, "Where's 1996's 'Now Is The Hour'?" I wish I knew, I can't find the damn CD! When it turns up, I'll post it.
For the freeload, make a request for a future post.





Until Bab's finds her copy, here is Now Is The Hour.
ReplyDeletehttps://mega.nz/folder/szwkDSpa#xyLxjeuypySnhEeo2phvHQ
What a guy, and FLAC too!
DeleteAnd, for lagniappe, here's a double cd of a concert that the group did at the 2007 London Jazz fest. This should constitute all of the recordings by the group. Thanks babs!
ReplyDeletehttps://mega.nz/folder/hrIxUA4R#UWI48Qg6lMOyJJzXQngUhA
Very nice!!!
DeleteThe cover of Bird's "Segment" is sweet!
Deleteit's like christmas! i'm not sure i'd know what to ask, i'm impressed by your page, even when you offer an album i have, there's always interesting gossip about the artist i appreciate, so yeah . . . thanks. Shoot out the lights, from any angle you can find; I saw Mellencamp sing it, i'm sure there's others. Thanks for the years of great music.
DeleteThanks pmac & thanks Babs.
ReplyDeleteOperating under the principle that beggars should never be choosers, I leave it entirely up to you, Babs. You continually surprise me with brilliant music and upgrades to records I already cherish. And thanks to the other denizens here, whose generosity is typified in this thread.
ReplyDeleteANON RF: Amen to that!
DeleteI request "The Sound of Pop-Rivets," on which a fortune was made. Thank you very much!
ReplyDeleteD in California
🎶 "Round and round the cobbler's bench
DeleteThe monkey chased the weasel
The monkey thought it was all in fun
Pop goes the rivets!" 🎶
How about some Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown please & thank you. One musical regret I have is that I never saw the man perform even though there were quite a few opportunities. At the time I did not realize his talent. Thanks Babs
ReplyDeleteGot to see him a lot since I was in NO. The band he had with Joe Krown as the keyboardist/band leader was phenomenal
Deletesaw him when I was 14 or so at some "River City" (a brief BRLA thing) Bluesfest and he hardly took that pipe outta his mouth and he sure was smoking
DeleteGate "The San Antonio Ballbuster" is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get - old blues, new blues, every blues subgenre, country, jazz, Cajun music, rock and R&B styles.
DeleteStay tuned for the thread.
For those who might not be aware of it, during the mid-'60s, Brown led the house band on a memorable syndicated TV series shot in Dallas, if I remember correctly, and syndicated nationally. The !!! Beat, as it was styled featured a dazzling lineup of R&B, soul, and pop stars over its run. The house band was killer, with Gatemouth fronting luminaries like David "Fathead" Newman in the horn section. Adding to its appeal, the show was hosted by Nashville disc jockey Bill "Hoss" Allen who had a habit of getting shit-faced during taping of the shows. It's a hoot watching him get progressively more wasted as each show progresses.
ReplyDeleteThe entire run was put out on DVD some years ago by Shout! Factory, and some of it is available on YouTube. Here's a taste.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VlZDGUKPn0
This Haden cornucopia is amazing; thanks Babs & pmac
ReplyDeleteI've got two thoughts: She may be over done, but whadda set of pipes--Miz Ella...though I can sorta imagine Babs might have a spot (not a soft spot, mind you) for Anita O'Day...or June Christy
And while perhaps not your cuppa tea/joe/____ of your choice, and well aware of what some folx here think, would also be fascinated by your take on the CBGBs cosmos...I feel like you and Roberta Bayley coulda been pals...19-year old me was completely gob-smacked by her, tried awkwardly to chat her up, when the Sex Pistols played The Kingfish in BRLA where I was working, and was somewhat if perhaps not entirely kindly dismissed with something along the lines of a "aren't you a cute li'l southern boy; I'm working." Uhm, A for effort. F for epic fail.
TL/DR: Ella Fitzgerald; NY "Punk" from 1972-79/80. Or whatever
I've crossed paths with Roberta a few times.
DeleteElla, June, Anita, NY "Punk" from 1972-79/80 - you got it!
Of course you have; amazing--and thanks.
DeleteThe first QW album I purchased was "Haunted Heart", which introduced me to the fabulous Jeri Southern. How about something from her? Or someone even more obscure?
ReplyDeleteJeri is forthcoming.
DeleteThanks FT3, pmac & Babs!!!
ReplyDeleteHow about Billy Bang?
I've been a fan since seeing him at a now defunct after hours jazz club in Vancouver BC, maybe 20 years ago?
I can send you a pretty nice portrait I shot of him that night if you ever make a post and would like to include it.
~Jon in California
Why not Billy Bang indeed!
DeleteOr Frank Lowe?
DeleteHow about some Jimmy Smith? I don't think you've done anything on him have you Babs?
ReplyDeleteGawd bless yer, mum! You're a bloomin' treasure an' no mistake! Now 'ows about some REO Speedwagon ooh yus we'll 'ave a right old knees-up!
ReplyDeleteSummer of 1972 I was 14 & we spent 6 weeks in Boulder while my dad did some stuff at CU. CU put the six of us up in a pretty sweet two story apartment not far from campus. Across the parking lot in a little ground floor apartment was REO's drummer, seemingly hiding out, making lotsa ground hamburger & rice, loaning me his bicycle a few times, playing some records for me, and one memorable day taking me along with him to the Denver airport to pick up some other bandmember who'd come to talk him down (or so I sorta figured out on the ride back from the airport). Did I neglect to tell my parents I was decamping with him for a bit to make this airport run? Reader, I did. Did my mother scream at me loud enough for the entire apartment complex to hear? Oh, yes she did. She looked not unlike an Italian movie star and def had the vocal abilities of an Italian opera singer. Did he come over and apologize to her? Reader, he did. She was (totally) charmed. I was grounded.
DeleteNot as cool as smoking a joint with Betty Carter, but it's stayed with me.
LOL!!! Reo actually had some good tunes, until they went down the schmaltz road, mind you the road that probably has these guys in a cozy retirement.
DeleteSo there we were at the New Mexico State Championship Darts Tournament at the Hilton in Albuquerque in the early 90's, I think. Minding our own business, higher than kites in the lobby, drinkin', hanging out and waiting around until our next match. Thom was sitting at the grand piano, noodling quietly, you know, just riffing, when we noticed the group of fellas up at the concierge, checking in. Tom changes his riffing a bit and starts in on "Keep On Loving You" because the guys at the counter are REO Speedwagon. They all turned at once & gave Thom a side eye, pointed and nodded at him, smiling. We lost our shi+! Highlarious. Then Tore & I went in and took second for doubles 501 competition. Thanks Babs
DeleteDo you have
ReplyDeleteJerome Cooper, Kalaparusha, Frank Lowe – Positions 3 6 9
Yep, I've got that.
Delete50 years ago Woody Shaw recorded "Love Dance". Great Music from a great musician and his wonderful ensemble!
ReplyDeleteThat's from me.
I'm posting a Woody thread very soon, so "sit tight"
DeleteIn order for me to maintain good graces with ms. pmac, how about some Betty Carter?!? My wife's favorite (one of my tops, too) and my wife once shared a joint with her at The Bottom Line in NYC.
ReplyDeleteYou got it!
DeleteLink 1
ReplyDeletehttps://workupload.com/file/zDgBHVrAMLU
Link 2
https://workupload.com/file/TGDf3rU8Atr
1. Claus Ogermann - he has an interesting/eclectic discography. I have the LP he did with Oscar Peterson in 1969 - "Motions and Emotions" - it is a whole vibe. I've never heard the records he did with Betty Carter in 1963, "Up with Donald Byrd" in 1965 or "City Lights" with Dr. John in 1978. Also - he did 2 records with Jimmy Smith in 1963/64 (referred to by Phantom of the Rock Opera in prior comment).
ReplyDelete2. In 2024 you posted about Joe Pass and mention in the first sentence that Art Tatum could sound like an orchestra by himself. Are there any Art Tatum recordings that are faves of yours?
Tatum faves, you got it!
DeleteThe "Request Line" is closed.
ReplyDeleteYou're effin' amazing, Babs--thanks in advance for all this and everything else.
ReplyDeleteRequest links will be up tomorrow,
ReplyDeleteBut what about the other few thousands that remain ( &, LOL, can U provide an index?
ReplyDelete