' Blues on the South Side' was released in November 1963, on the Prestige Records label, it was produced by Sam Charters.
This recording features Homesick’s fierce bottleneck guitar style, accompanied by the legendary Chicago backing band of pianist Lafayette Leake, bassist Eddie Taylor, and drummer Clifton James. This album marked Homesick’s breakthrough, and it’s widely regarded (including myself) as his best work. It also solidified his status as a solo artist, transcending his earlier roles as a sideman. The album seamlessly blends traditional Delta influences with urban electric sounds.
Musicians and friends called him "Homesick", but he also had the nickname "Look Quick". He got that name because he loved to pack up and move to different cities without warning. He would tell people, "Look quick, 'cause tomorrow I may be gone." He loved to tell wild stories about his life, which made him a very mysterious and fun person to be around. Homesick James was the cousin of Elmore James, and claimed he bought Elmore his first guitar and to have taught him how to play slide. He also claimed to have played with Yank Rachell, Sleepy John Estes, Blind Boy Fuller and Big Joe Williams, among others, and to have been acquainted with Robert Johnson. Most of what Homesick claimed has never been confirmed.
' Blues on the South Side' is a classic example of Chicago Blues, and belongs in every Blues collection.
For the freeload, make a claim about yourself that isn't true.

In order to destabilise the west and "stick it to the man", I invented the water soluble sock. This enables "bad actors" to substitute one of every pair of socks sold. Yup, you're ahead of me - two go into the washing machine and only one comes out. I sold it to the North Koreans for a lifetime supply of Kimchi.
ReplyDeleteI never inhaled! Thanks Babs
ReplyDeleteMe neither
DeleteI'm reminded of a 90s joke...stop me if you've heard this one before.
DeleteMonica Lewinsky's boyfriend asked her, "How do I stack up Bill Clinton, sexually?". To which Monica replies, "Close but no cigar"
***Rimshot***
I'm here all week...
I can still make the throw from deep in the hole at third.
ReplyDeleteAfter Paul died, I took over his bass. I am the walrus...Coo coo ca joo!
ReplyDeleteI buried Paul
DeleteUnder the barber shop on Penny Lane?
DeleteIn Blackburn, Lancashire.
DeleteIn a box of Norwegian Wood?
DeleteWhile backpacking in a remote corner of the Mount Hood National Forest in spring 1972, I stumbled upon the body of D.B. Cooper, his loot strapped around his body. I buried D.B. took the cash, and have been living in modestly splendid style ever since.
ReplyDeleteI love everyone!
ReplyDelete~ Jon
As a 12 year old, I won the world's yo yo championship.
ReplyDeleteI was member of the Charlie Parker Quintet, under the pseudonym of Duke Jordon.
ReplyDeleteAhhh yes, I remember you. You and Bird were always upstaging me when it was my turn to solo on the bagpipes...
Delete~ Jon
Remember in the 1980's when Elvis was seen working as a shelf stacker in a supermarket in Coventry UK? It was me who saw him and tipped off the media
ReplyDeleteI was Andy Kaufman's stunt double... and I can prove it !
ReplyDeleteI am the God of Hell's Fire!
ReplyDeleteLink
ReplyDeletehttps://workupload.com/file/gxySgQQz6Eh
I was Kaiser Bill's Bat Man
ReplyDeleteI would have guessed wingman.
DeleteI woulda guessed Robin's Batman...or Alfred
DeleteOr Aunt Harriet.
DeleteI am the male voice in "Je t’aime… moi non plus", sang with Jane Birkin. Serge Gainsbourg was too drunk in the studio.
ReplyDeleteANON RF: I had a fling with Kristin Wiig.
ReplyDeleteHow far did she fling you?
Delete"It's not the thing you fling, it's the fling itself" Anyone?
DeleteThanks Babs
ANON RF: Ms Wiig threw me as far as she could trust me. I wuz flung!
DeleteThis one actually happened.
ReplyDeleteWhen Queen Juliana stepped down as the Queen of the Netherlands and Beatrix was following her up as queen, there was a competition for best slogan in connection with that event. I won, even while not entering the competition formally with the slogan
Trix is a beauty to be seen, But Juliana remains my Queen
I never published in the "Journal of Irreproducible Results."
ReplyDelete(OK, I used a nom de plume.)