Saturday, May 30, 2026

Roberta Flack - 'First Take'

 

Roberta Flack's debut album, 'First Take', was recorded in just ten hours in February 1969 at Atlantic Studios in New York City.  It was produced by Joel Dorn, and released June 29th 1969, on The Atlantic Records label.

Roberta's piano and vocals are backed by Ron Carter on bass, Bucky Pizzarelli on guitar, and Ray Lucas on drums.  On many of the tracks there are horn & string arrangements by William S. Fischer.  But the horn and string "sweetenings" are generally light, tasteful, and I would venture to guess, added in post-production.

The album lives up to its name, with the songs captured in a single take, creating a relaxed, "live in the studio" atmosphere.  The album is basically a recreation of Roberta's live set, she played at Mr. Henry’s Jazz club in Washington, D.C.  This was where Les McCann caught her set, and got her a recording contract with Atlantic Records.  Les also wrote the liner notes for 'First Take'


When 'First Take' was released, critics loved it, but it didn't sell well, it was however popular with the R'n'B and Jazz crowd. ,

In 1971, Clint Eastwood put "First Time I Ever Saw Your Face" in his film, 'Play Misty for Me'.  The song became a breakout hit for Roberta in late 1971/early1972 
more than three years after its original 1969 release.

'First Take' reached number 1 on the Billboard albums chart and Billboard R&B album chart. 

Track list
1. Compared to What
2. Angelitos Negros
3. Our Ages or Our Hearts
4. I Told Jesus
5. Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye
6. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
7. Tryin' Times
8. Ballad of the Sad Young Men

The aesthetic on 'First Take' is unified, but the set list is diverse.  This is an astonishing album that sounds timeless.

For the freeload, what's your favorite 
film that Clint Eastwood starred in?

16 comments:

  1. "Why don't you knock it off with those negative waves...." Kelly's Heroes is a longtime favorite of mine (but maybe more so for Donald Sutherland and the supporting cast). Ones where he was more of the main focus would be a 4 way tie: Unforgiven, Million Dollar Baby, Gran Torino and The Good, The Bad & The Ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In case anyone had the same reaction I did (a blank look), here's the list:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clint_Eastwood_filmography#Acting_roles
    I will admit that, when I read it over once, I have a memory of seeing "Thunderbolt and Lightfoot" with a friend, and being mildly amused. I think he's an excellent director, but I guess I'm not big on Westerns or action films.
    D in California

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Nicholson, who for decades has just played himself, as far as I can tell, Eastwood just plays Clint Eastwood. That said, "The good, The Bad, and The Ugly" is a film and the (in)famous Dirty Harry riff creepy but compelling--""I know what you're thinking..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. ANON RF: I think I'll have to go with Unforgiven (or maybe that's just his best, in my opinion). Maybe my favorite is Trouble With The Curve. Baseball flicks, y'know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll go with 'The Bridges of Madison County'. It also has a wonderful OST from Leonard Niehaus, and also features songs from Johnny Hartman and Dinah Washington.
    'The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly' - whenever I asked my husband Jerry a question, it started with "Hey Blondieee"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time we cross the Big Black River north of Jackson on our monthly hegira to Oxford Town, we say "The Bridge of Madison County." Confused? Google Maps is your friend.

      P.S. The Madison County sewage lagoons are beside I-55. Last summer the odor of patchouli was incredible. Somebody musta flushed everything.

      Delete
  6. Clint is responsible for some of my all-time-favorite movies, including the top-tenner High Plains Drifter. But, like DeNiro, there's something about this intimidating guy playing comedy that just grabs me, so Every Which Way But Loose may be my favorite of his roles.
    C in California

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll go with Play Misty For Me, I think it was also his directorial debut. My wife watched an episode of Rawhide every morning for a couple of years. Thanks Babs

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of those spaghetti westerns. Circa 1971, a bunch of us loaded into a big-ass Plymouth. Three folks rode in the trunk. It was $1 per person night at the drive in. We smoked a lot of reefer & got 3 people in for free.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Phantom Of The Rock OperaMay 30, 2026 at 5:45 PM

    Well I'm sure plenty will mention the Spaghetti Westerns or indeed the Harry Callahan movies but for me the one that always comes to mind first came out a year before Play Misty For Me and that was 'Coogan's Bluff' with its amazing 'Pigeon Toed Orange Peel' night club. Check it out.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyhOYITO3Sg

    ReplyDelete
  10. Unforgiven. Followed by the first Dirty Harry movie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Link
    https://workupload.com/file/ddKrPcpRLV8

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not a big Eastwood fan, but I always did enjoy his work in "Thunderbolt and Lightfoot" with Jeff Bridges. They had great chemistry together. His Dirty Harry period left me cold. It had such a strong fascistic undertones. And of course, the Sergio Leone stuff is great for its wonderfully stylized violence. It's always good for a giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Good, The Bad And The Ugly 'cuz it's one of the best films ever made.

    Unforgiven 'cuz it's on eof the best Westerns ever made.

    The wife, not much for action films and Westerns, would second the vote for The Bridges Of Madison County

    ReplyDelete