One day back in 1967, I was in my Topology (a.k.a. "Rubber-Sheet Geometry") class, when my pretentious Caltech Professor belched and mispronounced the French word Croissant as "cruss-AUNT", saying the croissant he had for breakfast caused him to belch. Being a person who loves to take pretentious people down a few pegs I shouted "It's pronounced krwa-san, not cruss-AUNT". A girl on the other side of the classroom laughed loudly, causing the professor to become slightly agitated (my intention), and said "Excuse me, Miss Marie Antoinette!", causing the class to laugh.
So what in the wide, wide world o' sports does this have to do with Clifton Chenier, you ask?
Well, after class the girl on the other side of the room, who laughed, introduced herself to me. Her name was Seraphine, and she was from New Iberia, Louisiana. She asked me if I was French, and I told her, Corsican on my Mother's side, and Seraphine told me she was Cajun. After that, whenever we met, our conversations were in French. We had some interesting and funny conversations about the different French dialects that my Mother and her parents spoke.
One weekend Seraphine threw a party. During the party, she told me had an album her brother sent her she wanted to play, but she didn't think anyone would like it, and she showed me a copy of Clifton Chenier's recently released album, 'Black Snake Blues'. The cover piqued my interest, and I told her, "Put in on, if they don't like it, well that's just too bad." This would be my introduction to Clifton Chenier, and Zydeco for that matter.
The 1967 SoCal partygoers were bemused by Clifton. Seraphine was surprised a Brooklyn girl knew the lyrics to "Black Snake Blues", and "Walking To Louisiana".
Seraphine went on to a long career in academia, at Duke University and MIT. She's retired now and lives in New Orleans' Garden District. Were still in contact.
When Clifton Chenier’s third album, Black Snake Blues, came out in 1967, the zydeco legend had already started reaching people from all over, not just Louisiana and the Texas Gulf Coast. This was his first album recorded in California, and he teamed up with producer and Arhoolie founder Chris Strachwitz again.
'Black Snake Blues' marked the debut of the band’s main lineup: Clifton on accordion and vocals, his brother Cleveland playing frottoir (rubboard), Robert St. Judy on drums, and Joe Morris on bass. Plus, Felix James Benoit, a regular collaborator, joined them on guitar for the song "I Got A Little Girl".
Songs like "Black Snake Blues", which gets its spark from the themes that Victoria Spivey and Blind Lemon Jefferson made famous, and "Walking to Louisiana", which playfully nods to a Fats Domino tune, really show how Chenier can breathe new life into old blues and classic R&B, making them feel fresh and exciting.
Today's freeload is a 2025 24-bit/96 kHz digital release from Arhoolie Records, and is a reissue of the 1986 reissue that introduced new tracks "Key to the Highway" and "Pepper in My Shoe" to the original 1967 release.
For the freeload tell us about an artist or group, you've recently became aware of.


I've always tended to buy into the concept of reincarnation, and Jo-Ann Kelly, in my mind, was a living example of a kind of blues tulku. I only recently became aware of her through an LP she put out in the late '60s, in which she embodies a country blues shouter with a voice and slide guitar style that completely belies her appearance as a young British woman of the era.
ReplyDeleteThe other day, my grandson played: The Claypool Lennon Delirium - ‘The Great Parrot-Ox and the Golden Egg of Empathy’
ReplyDeleteThis is a collaboration between Les Claypool and Sean Ono Lennon, that I would describe as Prog-Pop, and it’s much better than I was expecting. To me, the highlight is Les Claypool’s bass.
Listen for yourself
https://workupload.com/file/tWxbeNw2Xcz
Love me some Clifton.
ReplyDeleteLast night we went to see a duo called Vegetal Jam. Two guys who live on the outskirts of Cadiz, but are rooted in Brazilian/Argentinian folklore music. Mostly they play accordion and cello/violin, with an occasional toy piano and cavaquinho thrown into the mix. All original tunes. They have been playing since 2012, but go on extended hiatus at times. Really captivating music. 4 albums to their credit, which should be on the streams. Here's little ditty that they posted on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5kbeK16314
Wow, that's some impressive walking and playing at the same time. Think they could chew gum as well? And those townscapes are amazing.
DeleteNew Iberia is beautiful...slightly terrifying, but absolutely beautiful. Highway 14 between New Iberia and Abbeville is about as beautiful a stretch of road--maybe 20 miles--as you will find anywhere in the USofA. The summer I was 15 I dated a girl called Libet who had come to BRLA from New Iberia to spend the summer with her cousin Lizette a street over and up a block or two up; she looked like exactly what you would imagine a Cajun Queen would look like and had an accent to die for..
ReplyDeleteMr Chenier & Band were an event, wherever they went. I used to see them at various places around BRLA but when I was working at The Kingfish they were always super kind and brought food that was to die for. Jumping Joe Morris (bass) and Robert St Julien (drums) were particularly kind to a stupid white boy.
Fun fact: The Sex Pistols wanted Chenier to open for them and The King was having none of it. Good Rockin' Doopsie & The Twisters were totally game and I had the pleasure of watching the guitar player and Steve Jones showing each other riffs...I wanna say his name was Manuel, but time's stolen that one..
On our way back from only visit to Louisiana, we drove most of Hwy 14, beautiful country indeed. Looking for a place for lunch in Abbeville, we spotted a cafe with 2 people sitting outside on either side of the door. Turns out they were the proprietoress and the cook. As we took our seats inside our hostess asked where we were from (dunno why she didn't think we were locals). Saying "Kamloops BC in Canada", she hollered for the cook, who had actually lived in our hometown for a spell and still had relatives there. BTW, lunch was delicious!
Deletelove this
DeleteToday playing some Do the 45s, a record by Betty James came on. She seems to only have made a couple of records, they're on Chess and they're lovely. Old bluesy and great semi-acoustic guitar backing.
ReplyDeleteI've been listening to Goose lately. Don't really know anything about them, but they're very talented and play interesting stuff!
ReplyDeleteCame across these folks this past winter, Moron Police from Norway.
ReplyDeletehttps://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=moron+police
I listened to all their work, in reverse order, of course. Thanks Babs
Kwross-ong.
ReplyDeleteLuluc and Tan Cologne I recently found and really dig.
ReplyDelete~Jon in Cali
thanks to you, i've been listening to the fabulous jerome cooper right now! wow...
ReplyDeletehuey
Just the other day I discovered Karen Black who is much better known as actress (golden globe winner) who was part of the Easy Rider Dennis Hopper / Jack Nicholson crew back in the late 1960's early 70's. What I didn't know was she wrote her own music and recorded enough material to make a retrospective album (she only released a couple of singles back in the day) of what is for the most part quite respectable and very listenable psychedelic folk.
ReplyDeleteHer Bio:
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000947/?ref_=fn_t_1
The Album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSFWGYPCmZk&list=PLZNVwWo8WbZ2-oSLKz0BMY3p4WVWBYpV2
Link
ReplyDeletehttps://workupload.com/file/KTKPjeVJRLa
Some forty years ago, I had a k7 recorded from a radio program with some incredible, outstanding Zydeco gems. The names of the artists I didn't know, but all of the songs were sang in french creole. Many years passed by and then came the internet and thousands of music blogs with music downloads. I searched a lot of them - including the amazing "El Diablo Tun-Tun', where the most thrilling and historical recordings in american music were available. Since then, I listened to a whole lotta cajun and zydeco music, more than a half of it all sang in english, not creole (including, of course, Clifton Chennier) but I could never never found any of those lost gems of that old radio program. Except one. It took me some efforts, years ago, but I could talk to a radio professional from that time in the 80's and thanks to him I found the opening tune of that k7, now also lost. It was a track from an album by Queen Ida & The Bon Temps Zydeco Band. I never heard anything, no other cajun or zydeco tune that could please me as this one (well, there's a kind of a classic Mardi Gras march, also played by some french folky guys that's also... supreme! I would say!... Here's both, for your pleasure.
ReplyDeletehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpKMw8EGvwk&list=RDOpKMw8EGvwk&start_radio=1
First track of this B Side (I heard a lot of versions of this one, but none pleases most as this one, maybe because I could heard them alive at an anti-nuclear festival in Golfech, south France, back in the 80's)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPflO6pSThw&list=RDoPflO6pSThw&start_radio=1
Queen Ida ruled the roost of the Left Coast contingent for may years. She has a great cover of DL Menard's "The Back Door."
ReplyDeleteYeah, if you stayed in La, you probably never got a chance to see Ida. I saw her once - in Boston of all places.
DeleteSome Queen Ida
Deletehttps://workupload.com/file/kWySK6ekymd
Wow! Great!!! Thank you very much, Babs!
DeleteJust discovered power pop-ish George Usher.
ReplyDeleteAn album called "Hewers Of Wood And Drawers Of Water" by the band "Kiss the Anus of a Black Cat" .
ReplyDeleteI know nothing about the band, and am scared to Google the name. Their sound is a sort of pleasant folk/pop and not what you might expect.
Here's Iry LeJeune - Vien Me Chercher, Cajun accordionist that died way too young in 1955.
ReplyDeletehttps://workupload.com/file/J7Fa3zuSLy8
Here's a link to wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iry_LeJeune
Thanks Babs