Saturday, June 13, 2026

Cheap Xmas: Donald Fagen Complete

 

If Donald had a placard around his neck, this could be a mugshot. What's the deal on that military print?... And that couch!

A few years back, I was in shopping at Macy’s on 34th street here in Manhattan and noticed that even though it was mid-October, Christmas items were on display everywhere, I mean, it wasn't even freaking Halloween yet!

As I was walking around the store, I stumbled across the Toy Department, so for "shits-and-giggles", I thought I’d look around.  Not having bought toys in several years, as my grandchildren are all now grownup, I wondered what were the hot toys for the upcoming holiday season?  As I walked through the isles of toys I noticed that most toys require absolutely no imagination whatsoever, or for that matter, any type of physical exertion, except perhaps for the rapid movement of children’s thumbs.

After looking at toys, I went to the café, which is on the same floor.  While enjoying a double espresso and a chocolate croissant, I thought of a memorable Christmas in the late 50s, when I was around ten-years old.  My mother’s brother (Uncle Émile) and his wife (Aunt Avril), were coming down to Brooklyn from Quebec City for the Holidays.  A few weeks before Christmas, Uncle Émile called us, and asked my brother and myself what presents we wanted.  When it was my turn to talk to him, I asked for a Pogo Stick, and he said, "OK, Babs, I’ll tell Père Noël" (that’s what French-speaking people call Santa Claus or Father Christmas).



As an aside, did you know that George Hansburg invented and patented the Pogo Stick in 1919?   Hansburg claimed that on his travels through Burma, he met a poor Buddhist farmer.  The farmer had a daughter named Pogo, who was a devout little girl that wanted to go to temple every day to pray, but couldn't because she had no shoes to wear for the long walk through the mud and over the slippery rocks.  So Pogo’s father built a jumping stick for her, and Pogo was able to make daily trips to the temple.  When Hansburg returned home, he made a jumping stick of his own, attaching a spring to the wooden stick contraption that the poor farmer had introduced to him.  

Another version of the Pogo stick’s origin is about a young bride named (you guessed it) Pogo whose father, hoping to spare her from soiling her wedding clothes in mud puddles, put a cross-piece on a post and had her jump across the street. Both are stories are far-fetched, but they are nice enough anecdotes.

But I digress

So, it’s Christmas morning, and Santa brought me a toy beauty kit, hula-hoop, a paint by numbers kit, and a dollhouse.  Next to Émile and Avril were more presents, that I kept eyeing up, but none looked like they had a Pogo stick inside.  Émile handed me a present that was rectangular, thick and heavy, I quickly ripped the wrapping paper off, and to my surprise (and disappointment), it was a dictionary! I said to Uncle Émile, "This isn’t a Pogo stick!" "Babs, don’t be so rude." interjected my mother.  Uncle Émile smiled and said to me, "Yes, Babs, but Pogo stick is in the dictionary!".  "Yeah, so's cheapskate!" quipped my older brother.  This caused my father to smack the back of my brother’s head, and say to him, "What did I tell you about being mister smart ass?"  My brother was, and even now at eighty-four years old, still a world-class smart ass.  All my children and grand children fondly refer to him as "Uncle Smart Ass".  My brother is aware of this, and is proud of his moniker. 

Meanwhile, back in Macy’s, I finished my double espresso and chocolate croissant, and took an Uber home.  When I returned home, I sparked up an "OG Kush Breath" spliff, and thought I’d play some Mose Allison (I had the Mose song "Ever Since the World Ended" stuck in my heads all day), specifically the two CD retrospective, 'Allison Wonderland: Anthology' which I saw earlier in the day on top of a few boxed sets.  When I picked up the Allison set, underneath it was: Donald Fagen’s boxed set 'Cheap Xmas: Donald Fagen Complete', which caused me to do a double take, and wonder if I had entered The Twilight Zone, and I pictured Rod Serling standing in the corner, cigarette in hand, and saying something along the lines of, "Babs had one foot in the Button Factory, and one foot in a place where Christmas is always a disappointment...a place called the Twilight Zone."


CD1 'The Nightfly' from1982.
This is a long time favorite of mine, and to my ears, one of the best recordings released in the 1980s.  It is a classic, among classics.

CD2 'Kamakiriad' from1993.
This is an album of slinking smooth sly witted jazzy funk, produced by Walter Becker, with audio that we’ve come to expect the duo.

CD3 'Morph The Cat' from 2006.
More irresistible grooves, that you bop your head along with, even though the lyrics deal with alien invasion and death.  This is the classic Steely Dan paradox: sugar-coated cyanide.  This record also has more guitar on it, since Steely Dan’s 'Royal Scam' from 1976, courtesy of Jon Herrington, Wayne Krantz and Hugh McCracken 
[No relation to Phil - Ed].

CD4 'Sunken Condos' from 2012.
‘Sunken Condos’ is jazzy, bluesy and as musically precise as anything Donald has recorded, with or without Steely Dan.  No surprise, since many of the musicians have played with him in one form or another over the years.  Most of the nine songs make room for efficient solos, tasteful backing vocals and a very clean production.

CD5 '10 Extras'
A bonus disc, "10 Extras" features rarities such as demos, songs written for films and live tracks. My favorite track is "True Companion" which was recorded for the animated feature film 'Heavy Metal'.  It’s also the oldest song on this entire collection, and was recorded a year before 'The Nightfly' in 1981.  Musically, the first half of the tune is almost a mini guitar symphony for Steve Khan, on acoustic and electric guitars.  The song also showcases Donald’s dense overdubbed vocal harmonies, he would go on to use again on The Nightfly‘s "Maxine".

The freeload is 24-bit remasters.

For the freeload, tell us about a toy or something you wanted as a child, but never got. 
 

26 comments:

  1. There were so many!
    -Cadbury's miniature Dairy Milk chocolate bar machine (made of metal!). Ha'penny in the slot (which you could retrieve) got you a taste of the best chocolate in the world.
    -All those toys in Marvel and DC comics ads (unavailable to me anyway).
    -Big Meccano set in wooden box (not the humiliating starter kit I got)
    -A sister evaporator (odorless)
    -Real store-bought sled
    -Petrol engined model plane
    -Train set (see Meccano)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was 7 I was obsessed with a sled. We lived in South Louisiana. My parents understandably demurred.

      Delete
    2. In the 70s, "snow" was never a problem in south La but you couldn't ski on it.

      Delete
    3. ANON RF: Got one word for you, Eric S. Rosebud.

      Delete
    4. I had a very cool pair of "sailing shoes" from those fine folks at Merck Sharp & Dohme.
      "Small fluffy crystals" said so right on the label.

      Delete
  2. 1967, 9-years-old, an Encyclopedia Britannica set
    1968, 10-years-old, the new ABA basketball
    1969, 11-years-old, a stereo of my own for the room I shared
    1970, 12-years-old, a Tom Seaver mitt (despite playing third)
    That these are still (the?) threads of my life is...disturbing...? To be fair, every book I ever asked for I got and most records. And we did eventually get the Encyclopedia and at 14 a little stereo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a prepubescent, I lusted after a go-kart that never came my way. Your freeload question prompted a memory. Whenever we would enter a shop likely to contain objects of kids' desires, my old man, with an eye roll, would say, "Ah, the litany begins: 'Can I have and will you buy me?'"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't remember anything I really wanted, and I knew my grandma would always send $10 ( a lot of money in the late 50s/early 60s) so I could waste it some shiny object. Saving it was not an option!
    I did get a pogo stick, which was fun for about 30 minutes. I remember pogo-ing maybe 5 or 6 times in a row before falling on the cement & quitting for the day with minor injuries. The spring broke after a couple of weeks, so it was back to the hula hoop, which I never mastered either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to be around 7, and there was some type of toy that simulated a fighter pilot dropping bombs over areas. There was a screen that would show ground targets and you had a type of steering control and buttons to push that would allow the bombs to drop. My parents have never displayed an ounce of political awareness in their lives, but somehow they knew not to get that thing for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that toy, but didn't get it either. Mattel or whichever company probably made more money off kids than the rest of the military-industrial complex!

      Delete
  6. Interesting that I remember getting a new bicycle and (thirty years later) cross-country skis, but not my disappointments. I can remember that the grocery store we shopped at had big, stunningly-well-packaged toys on top of the produce coolers; no way to avoid seeing them and lusting for them.
    I did play with the telegraph set my parents got me (so that I would learn Morse Code), but I never found anyone who wanted to be the other operator, so other than S - O - S, nothing stuck. The red-and-white-coated wires to connect the terminals, however, were used up in a variety of household electronic repairs and projects over the years. My dad did tinker, effectively and with some pleasure in the act and the results.
    D in California

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wanted the huge Army fort from Playmobil, but that thing was always out of budget. Looked that one up recently and it has more than doubled in price since the late 80s. Who the fuck is gonna pay 130 bucks for that?

    Also wanted Transformer toys, mostly in vain. Somehow I got my hand on a small military jeep Transformer. Not the best or coolest of the toy line, but it was mine. Still, it was the only one I had so he couldn't really, you know, fight other Transformers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In the 1960s, my grandparents would allow each of us to select $10 worth of stuff from the Sears Christmas catalogue- which would usually buy at least two things, sometimes three. I'm struggling to think of anything that I REALLY wanted that either I or my brother didn't get. It was also fun to check out the trash piles left the the curb on our way home from school the following Spring and find toys from the previous Christmas that we had seen on TV, but hadn't particularly wanted. We could usually find something salvageable. Our best score was a tabletop hockey game with an incredibly warped surface. Made for some interesting games when using a marble as a puck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ANON RF: I always wanted a mini-bike, because when I was 8 or 9 some teenager was visiting our neighbors and he had a motor scooter of some kind and gave me a ride on the back. That did it!

    I begged for a mini-bike year after year, which was absurd because we didn't have anything like the wherewithal for something like that, and I gave up.

    When I hit 25 it suddenly dawned on me that I could easily take the test to ride a motorcycle. I bought a Honda, then a Suzuki, then a Yamaha, then a Honda again, then a Suzuki again, then finally my last ever bike, another pretty fab Honda. Make of it what you will. Finally stopped riding when my wife and I had a son.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pop Culture Quiz
    Who didn't get cha cha heels for Christmas?
    No cheating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha...I didn't know to ask! I did at 13 get an enormous pair of "desert" army boots I wore to pieces over the next year or so until they didn't fit. And to their everlasting credit my parents scored me a pair of Doc Martens in 1975 from NYC, but no idea how. I'm sure someone else in BRLA had a pair, but I never saw'em and got plenty of comments. And my high school kept me properly supplied with Chucks: blue for home games; red for away games; white for practice. Seemed impossibly cool. But, alas, I never asked for cha cha heels. Possible song title?

      Delete
  11. At 52, I'm still a child...so here goes:

    We (ex-wife) used to spend 2-3 months in Cabo San Jose Mexico in the winter.

    At a party one night, the hostess was wearing a djellaba (think Morocco) made of fabric that kinda looked like tablecloth or curtains, mostly white. I loved it at first sight (I have a large collection of djellabas).

    I asked my wife to buy it from her or have a replica made in time for Christmas...

    Never happened...

    ReplyDelete
  12. it seems every christmas season Santa Claus is on some street corner ringing his bell. As I drive by, i holler out "Where's my Damn Pony?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Links
    Part 1
    https://workupload.com/file/CGLeSFNyXdU

    Part 2
    https://workupload.com/file/xeFwUbRUFec

    Part 3
    https://workupload.com/file/zVag4Bncqn2

    Part 4
    https://workupload.com/file/sZMGvQWNL2y

    Part 5
    https://workupload.com/file/qDhM2EXfx8D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Babs. I may have gotten 1 cha cha heel, but probably not as you'd expect. Or not. I did recently get a pair of Chuck Taylor Converse All Start low top sneakers in blue, that I wear almost constantly, reminiscent of days past. Thanks Babs

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll spare you the angst and disappointment and tell about a present we (myself and brother) got and didn't even know we wanted. The setup is the story: 'twas the night before, and my Dad and Gramps waited until we were snug in our beds before having a drink or "two" and setting up on the dining room table a plastic "Cape Canaveral" set. Early 60s, you know. Once set up, I believe a couple more were consumed and practice launches ensued. In the A.M. the hangover crew rescued rockets and capsules from the overhead light fixture as we watched. Best Xmas ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Johnny 7 O.M.A. The "one man army" gun that would set you up to murdalize the other kids with a multiplicity of firepower....it could be rifle, a pistol, a grenade launcher, an anti-tank rocket (in case the kids down the block brought a tank), a machine gun, armor piercing shells and at least one other weapon I'm forgetting (the "7" was because it was seven weapons in one, sort like how Doublemint gum was two two two mints in one).

    There's one on EBAY right now for a mere $700.00, which I could afford if I still had the same burning need for a toy weapon. But that desperate desire departed down the years....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a friend who had a Johnny 7. Maybe his was defective, but the grenade "launcher" had barely enough power to push the grenade farther than the end of the barrel, rendering the whole deal splutteringly comic rather than scary.

      Delete
  17. Like Lou Reed said in Blue In The Face, "I absolutely don't remember anything before age 31"

    ReplyDelete