Saturday, May 9, 2026

Eddie Palmieri & Cal T'jader – 'Bamboleate'


'Bamboleate' was recorded at Bell Sound Studios in June 1967, and released on the Tico Records label, later in the year.  It was produced by Pancho Cristal, and engineered by Fred Weinberg. The freeload is a 2007 reissue on the Fania Records label (the parent company of Tico Records).


This was the second collaboration between Eddie and Cal, which followed their 1966 album 'El Sonido Nuevo' and to my ears is the better of their collaborations.


This album is a masterpiece of the era, bridging Cal T'jader's "West Coast" cool with Eddie Palmieri's "East Coast" energy.  Together they blend Descarga (a type of improvised Cuban jazz jam session popularized in the 1950s), Salsa, and Latin jazz into a cohesive, sophisticated sound.

Along with Cal's vibraphone and Eddie's piano are:
Barry Rogers, Mark Weinstein and Julian Priester on Trombone
George Castro on Flute
Bobby Rodríguez on Bass
Manny Oquendo on Bongos
Tommy López on Congas
Kako (Francisco Bastar) on Timbales

Tracklist
1. Bamboleate
2. We’ve Loved Before
3. Resemblance
4. Mi Montuno
5. Samba Do Suenho
6. Guajira Candela
7. Pancho's Seis Por Ocho
8. Come An' Get It

This thing cooks from start to finish.

1967 was a remarkable year for music, so for the freeload, what are some of your favorite records from that year?

35 comments:

  1. Seminal year for music:
    Beatles - Sgt Pepper
    Aretha: Never Loved a Man
    Otis and Carla - King & Queen
    McCoy Tyner - Real McCoy
    Jobim - Wave
    Still very frequently play all of the above.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sgt. Pepper
    The Who Sell Out
    Something Else by the Kinks
    John Wesley Harding - Bob Dylan
    Miles Smiles
    The Sorcerer - Miles Davis
    The Real McCoy

    ReplyDelete
  3. These, in no particular order, are still in regular rotation:
    Electric Music For The Mind and Body - Country Joe and the Fish
    Magical Mystery Tour - The Beatles
    Are You Experienced? - Jimi Hendrix
    Axis: Bold As Love - Jimi Hendrix
    Knock On Wood - Eddie Floyd
    Say Siegel-Schwall -Siegel-Schwall Band
    The Doors - The Doors
    Absoluetly Free - The Mothers Of Invention
    Miles Smiles - Miles Davis
    Blow-Up OST - Herbie Hancock
    The Grateful Dead - Grateful Dead
    Thanks Babs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Siegel-Schwall was where I first heard "I'm a Hog for Ya Baby"

      Delete
  4. McCoy Tyner - ‘The Real McCoy’

    Grateful Dead - ‘Grateful Dead'

    Miles Davis - ‘Miles Smiles’ & ‘Sorcerer’ 

    Charles Lloyd - ‘Forest Flower: Charles Lloyd at Monterey’
    
Roland Kirk - ‘The Inflated Tear’

    The Doors - ‘Strange Days'

    Cannonball Adderley - ‘Mercy, Mercy, Mercy!’

    Duke Ellington ‘The Far East Suite’

    Cream - ‘Disreali Gears'
    James Brown - Cold Sweat

    Bob Dylan - ‘John Wesley Harding'
    Aretha Franklin - ‘I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You’

    Arlo Guthrie - ‘Alice’s Restaurant’ (a Thanksgiving tradition in my family)
    
Leonard Cohen - ‘Songs of Leonard Cohen'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that Ellington album is fantastic.

      Delete
    2. Duke's ‘The Far East Suite’
 will be featured here very soon in a super sweet 24bit/192kHz

      Delete
    3. Sorry, you'll have to make due with the lo-fi of 192 kilohertz.

      Delete
  5. Looking over today's first entries, you guys have already anticipated most of the titles I was going to mention. I'd only add a few more:
    Otis Redding - Live in Europe & History of Otis Redding
    James Carr - You Got My Mind Messed Up
    Etta James - Tell Mama
    Sam & Dave - Soul Men

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was 11, so it was all Beatles and Monkees. Sgt. Pepper's and More of the Monkees. We were AWARE that something was going on in San Francisco, thirty miles to the west. There were lots of garages in the suburbs and so a lot of garage bands. We got to hear sloppy teenage performances of Cream..."Purple Haze..." LSD was on the front page of the San Francisco Chronicle, and I wanted to do drugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was 22. My drugs of choice were weed, pharmaceutical amphetamines, tobacco, and alcohol. Acid was a year away.

      Delete
  7. BTW - I have this same lp but its under a different title- simply named Palmieri and Tjader, and has a different cover (re release on Fania and if truth be told, its Ms Pmac's). Great album regardless and looking forward to a sonic upgrade.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bombshelter SlimMay 9, 2026 at 1:18 PM

    I'm with @draftervoi, I was too young and had to wait for the drugs! And for my allowance to catch up...
    Music from 1967 (some of which didn't get released for years):
    Aretha - I Never Loved A Man...
    Cream - Disraeli Gears
    Hendrix - Axis (still my favourite)
    Traffic - Mr. Fantasy
    Coltrane - Interstellar Space
    Miles - Sorcerer
    Roscoe Mitchell - Old/Quartet
    and The Youngbloods get 2, The Youngbloods & Earth Music

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Byrds – Younger Than Yesterday
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience – Are You Experienced?
    Jefferson Airplane – Surrealistic Pillow
    Love – Forever Changes
    Van Morrison – Blow Your Mind!
    The Rolling Stones – Between The Buttons
    Gordon Lightfoot – The Way I Feel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ANON RF: Pretty much my playlist that year, OBG. Wrote something last year that features BTB as the soundtrack. I would add Small Faces, The Doors, Country Joe, The Who, The Kinks, The Monkees, even Paul Revere & The Raiders (many of which are mentioned above and below). What a year!!

      Delete
  10. All of the above, & more! As Frank Sinatra sang (but not in '67 I think), It was a very good year... I'll add more after checking my collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and...The Doors- Strange Days
      Moody Blues- Nights In White Satin
      Beatles- Magical Mystery Tour
      Buffalo Springfield- Again
      Zappa/Mothers- Absolutely Free

      Delete
  11. 1967 I was 9 and all about the Monkees, though this was the year my friend Ronnie's oldest brother made us listen to a side of The Velvet Underground & Nico and I didn't get it; neither did Ronnie, phew. He also played Hendrix for us, and that got my attention--it was loud and seemed cool. My parents both loved John Wesley Harding, my mom had some Glenn Yarborough record she liked and my father was not thrilled with James Brown's Cold Sweat but I thought it was pretty cool

    ReplyDelete
  12. In 1967 an album purchase was a serious investment - most of my favourites from that year I didn't hear in that year, just individual songs on the radio or shared with friends. It's been catch-up ever since, although I've probably heard all the ones I'm going to like from that year by now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Phantom Of The Rock OperaMay 9, 2026 at 8:32 PM

    All of the above and here's a few I don't think anyone's mentioned:

    Pink Floyd - Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
    Pretty Things - SF Sorrow
    Kaleidoscope - Kaleidoscope
    Nirvana - The Story Of Simon Simopath
    Moby Grape - Moby Grape
    Strawberry Alarm Clock - Incense & Peppermint
    The Association - Insight Out
    Quicksilver messenger Service - Quicksilver Messenger Service

    And

    The Beach Boys - Smiley Smile

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sweet Rain by Stan Getz
    Eastern Man Alone by Charles Tyler
    Adam's Apple by Wayne Shorter

    ReplyDelete
  15. Strawberry Fields Forever by you know how.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The year Rock entered FM. It was wild for a couple of years as Djs had "carte blanche", they could play whatever they wanted, and, then... professional managers took over, ptoof, the fun disappeared.

    It was also the year small record shops started popping up everywhere.

    and... EXPO 67.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to Expo 67 in 1968, when the exhibition continued under the name, "Man and His World".

      Delete
    2. I was there in 1969 and heard a woman singing "Son Of A Preacher Man" in French. It was incredible- she had a great backing band with horns.

      Delete
  17. Les Jerks Électroniques De La Messe Pour Le Temps Présent Et Musiques Concrètes Pour Maurice Béjart

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love - Da Capo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Link
    https://workupload.com/file/WTNf5TFfwuj

    ReplyDelete
  20. Vanilla Fudge, Doors - Strange Days
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you Babs. All killer, no filler. Fantastic album, thanks.

    ReplyDelete