A few years back, I saw Buddy Guy at his club, Legends in Chicago. The show was a lot of fun, but it was heavy on showmanship, and light on blues music. Gone was Buddy's clean but sharp and biting signature Fender Stratocaster sound, it was replaced by loud distorted sound that drowned out his backing band. Buddy unleashed an unending barrage of explosive riffs, characterized by piercing treble and chaotic clusters of notes that appeared to lack any discernible pattern, direction, or purpose, save for sheer noise. Individual notes were rendered inaudible. As an aside, I've seen Jeff Beck shows with a similar situation.
At one point in the middle of a guitar solo on a slow tune that I was actually enjoying, he just stopped playing, and ordered a Rémy Martin XO from the bar. What the actual….? Then he made a point of telling us how smooth it goes down, and that it costs $200 a bottle. It was a little like a hip version of the those late 1980s commercials with drunk Orson Welles shilling for Paul Masson wine. "We will sell no wine before its time".
After several shots he started chatting with the audience. To his credit the rapport he establishes with his audience is a marvel to behold, Buddy is a really (dare I say it?) nice guy, who knows how to work a crowd. That said he (much to the chagrin of his band) stopped songs early, got easily sidetracked by chatting with the audience, and letting his showmanship overshadow the continuity of the music. During one song he played his Stratocaster with drum sticks. Why?
Don't get me wrong, despite all my complaining, I had a blast, but I was left with the feeling the show would have been more suited to a Las Vegas lounge, than a Chicago blues club.
For today's freeload we're taking a trip down memory lane to 1968, before the polka-dot suits, with a matching Fender Stratocaster, and Buddy "hamming it up".
"A Man and the Blues" was recorded at Universal Studio, Chicago, in 1967, and released on the Vanguard Records label in 1968. It was produced by Sam Charters.
This was Buddy’s second album and marked his emergence from the shadow of his mentors, Muddy Waters and B.B. King. It was also his first release after leaving Chess Records. Vanguard Records granted Buddy the creative freedom he had been denied on his first album, ‘Left My Blues In San Francisco,’ released in 1967 on the Chess label (Marshall Chess, thought Buddy’s modern, amplifier-heavy, and high-energy guitar style was "noise"). This freedom allowed him to express his explosive guitar and vocal work without any restrictive label interference. Samuel Charters' production puts Buddy's vocals and stinging guitar work directly front and center without the use of over-polished pop production.
'A Man and the Blues' also features an elite Chicago rhythm section, with the legendary Otis Spann on piano, Fred Below on drums, and Jack Myers on bass. On rhythm guitar is the criminally little known Wayne Bennett who has recorded with such blues musicians as Elmore James, Otis Rush, Jimmy Reed, The Five Blind Boys of Mississippi and a ten-year stint with Bobby "Blue" Bland. Aaron Corthen, Bobby Fields and Donald Hankins provide rich, soulful grooves as a saxophone trio.
The is Buddy Guy at the absolute peak of his creative powers.
For the freeload what concerts have you seen (good or bad) where the artist or the group's frontman talked excessively.


Good afternoon everyone, my, and probably also the worst concert I've ever been to, was in Bavaria in 2000 or 2001. I went to see Hans Söllner. First of all, the guy was completely stoned, and then he just talked nonsense the whole time. Nonstop. When he finally started singing, it was so horribly bad that I was always on the verge of leaving. Otherwise, I really like Hans Söllner and some of his lyrics. His political views leave something to be desired, but if that's what he needs!? He's always playing the victim. At the end of the concert, what always happens, happened. He usually shows his bare backside to a politician's portrait on the opposite side of the hall, and then he's always escorted out. I personally saw him twice: that was the first and last time. It's unbelievable what smoking weed does to a person. And he himself, I got the impression back then, thought he was brilliant. Well, it was an experience... Have a nice day, best regards, Mike
ReplyDeleteThree come to mind. Saw B.B. King several times, but the last show was around 2008. He barely played the guitar, and just talked non-stop. His band was on the stage for about 90 mins, and they played no more than 6 songs (none were very long). I loved B.B., but that last show was just bad. In a similar vein, saw Aretha Franklin around 2015, and it was also a head scratcher. She performed no more than 3 songs, and just named checked people from the stage the entire hour the concert lasted. When the show ended, she just walked off without acknowledging that the concert was over.
ReplyDeleteOn a positive note, the GFOS, James Brown, would talk non-stop at times, but it was witty, ribald, and his band loved it. Made for a couple of memorable shows.
Last time I saw Buddy was at a casino about 10 years ago. There was zero pretense that he was a bluesman but, the crowd appeared to love it. My favorite recordings by him are the ones with Junior Wells.
I seem to recall a show by Roger McGuinn, solo, I think. In the 80's in a bar that usually catered to pop music/dance bands, anyway, there was lots of story telling.
ReplyDeleteTrey Antipasto at the first Bonnaroo must have had a snootfull of nose candy cuz he went on & on & on about who knows what for way too long. The band slayed.
Saw Aretha in 2007 I think, not talking too much but did advise the mayor of Memphis to get off the stage before staring to play at the Beale Street Music Festival.
Once saw B. B. King (in the 90's) & his amp was smoking due to a tipped over styrofoam cup, hearing only a little bit of noise as he was starting a solo, he looked at the amp, saw the smoke rising, looked at the crowd, looked at the amp again, shook his head and said, "Lucille is hot tonight!" Thanks Babs
Neither is exactly what you asked about, but each of these seems tangentially relevant...
ReplyDeleteI saw the Scottish band Wolfstone in a small club and one of the guitarists could not, would not go more than a song without fiddling with his amplifier. I get that you might need to tweak settings at times; I get that you might be nervous (but for a crowd of maybe 125??); and, I get that nose candy can distort your behavior without spoiling the music. Maybe it was a bit of all three?
The other was seeing The Dillards at a slightly larger hall (heck, probably over 200 people) and enjoying the show, up until Rodney (out of nowhere) starts talking about "do y'all love the Second Amendment?!" W.T.F.? I shouted "what about the First?" but wasn't heard. I resolved that I would never buy a ticket or anything else from that band; I don't dispute his right to those views, but if he needs to express them during a show in CA... I'm out.
A final thought: I've seen Richard Thompson perform many times, and the positive quality of his banter and commentary turns out to be almost as entertaining as his amazing music and facility at performing it.
D in California
Ritchie Havens' stories between songs were so good, you'd forget you were there for music.
DeleteProbably Billy Bragg at the Vancouver Folk Music Festival...
ReplyDeleteOr maybe the great Oliver Schroer (RIP) at the same venue but was it some other year? Check out his masterpiece album "Camino":
"Camino was recorded in churches along the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail. Schroer walked 1,000 km of the trail in 2004 with his wife and two friends, carrying portable recording equipment. To save weight, he did not bring a violin case. He carried his instrument wrapped in a sleeping bag in his backpack, "like my own precious relic, carefully packed in its reliquary of socks and underwear." The album features solo playing, occasionally against a background of local sounds such as church bells, birds, and monastic voices."
I saw Little Richard perform in Perth, Western Australia in 1974. It was a great rocking show however not many songs were done. Richard performed several of his greatest hits but did every song 2 or 3 times. For example he did "Tutti Frutti" then when the song finished he asked the crowd, "Did you like it?". Everyone shouted "Yeah". Then Richard asked again, "Did you really like it?". Again a huge "Yeah". Richard again, "Did you realy really really like it? From the crowd again, "YEAH". Then Richard asked, "Do you want to hear it again?" Another huge "YEAH!" So we got to hear "Tutti Frutti" again. The same patter happened with "Long Tall Sally" and "Rip It Up" and several others of Little Richard's classic Rock & Roll hits. Not only did we get to hear his greatest hits, we got to hear them several times. Which was fine really because those were the songs we had all come to hear.
ReplyDeleteIt's a shame about late-career Buddy, saw him on a festival stage a few years ago. Not only did he talk too much, but felt compelled to throw in multiple "fucks" and "shits". I guess the (mostly white Canadian) audience wasn't familiar with those authentic blues terms. And when he did shut up and play it sounded more like a sloppy SRV than anything else. Chess Records put out a collection of his 60s singles in the early 70s entitled "I Was Walking Through The Woods" which I highly recommend. Similar to Bob Mac's Little Richard experience, caught a very drunken Jerry Jeff Walker one time, yap yap yap... and at least 4 renditions of Mr. Bojangles (I lost count eventually)...
ReplyDeleteI saw Eddie "The Chief" Clearwater, who was drunker than Charles Bukowski on his birthday, ramble incoherently about who knows what for fifteen minutes before he played one note.
ReplyDeleteI also saw a very indulgent Buddy Guy show, in 1993 in Central Park. Way too much showing off. I was disappointed, but hey, it was a free show.
ReplyDeleteCan't think of anyone I'd like to have heard less banter from, but could have listened to more from Springsteen, back in his epic story-telling days. And John Martyn was great for on-stage banter.
ReplyDeleteLink
ReplyDeletehttps://workupload.com/file/5Em3Ltv4yZd
My son and I went to see Buddy Guy here in Oakland March 2020, just as COVID was settling in.
ReplyDeleteThe good part about it is I taught my son a bunch of cheap tricks when he was learning guitar, including "swing it up behind your head and play a fast repetitive riff while scrunching up your face so everyone knows this takes incredible dexterity and concentration. So, he understood Guy's act. You must entertain the crowd.
I did miss teaching my son to play with his butt. Why did I not think of that?
Now...if the banter is good, if it's funny, or if it sets up a song, provides context....that's part of the show.
I don't mind a dash of politics; left or right, but that "dash" means just that. I go see Ted Nugent or Bruce Springsteen, I expect a bit of that; it's when it crosses into a screed or an angry rant that I put on my frowny face. Plus, the outright "I'm telling you to vote for this proposition or endorsing this particular knucklehead for president, mayor, or dog catcher" makes me unlikely waste my time at that guy's concert again.
As mentioned; Richard Thompson he TALK GOOD. I saw him last month in Berkeley, and he's droll and FUNNY.
Yes! I've seen RT a bunch of times and his between song bater is tops. Not to mention he's the greatest guitarist most people have never heard.
DeleteHey Babs, hast thou perchance any Charlie Haden Quartet West? Asking for a friend.
ReplyDeleteAs it happens, I do.
DeleteI'll post some next week, was there anything in particular your friend was looking for?
You're too good to us; I'll have what his friend's having
DeleteMy friend says the first is best, but he'd appreciate whatever you have.
DeleteWaited tables in place (Cock of the Walk, can't make that shit up) where Buddy's older brother was the "chef." And ex-wife came in and told me to tell him to make her something special and he spit and blew snot in her food. He always said Buddy was a nice guy. He'd bought him a caddy at some point.
ReplyDeleteJerry Jeff walker at the Warehouse in NOLA was so drunk he fell off the stage and broke his wrist and finished the show and he could not/would not stfu. I was 15 or 16 & thought it was dumb.
Saw Ray Davies about 15 years ago, it was meant to be part story-telling so that was cool, but - here comes the heresy - the second time I saw Allen Toussaint he repeated verbatim the "Southern Nights" monologue and that I could have done without.
ReplyDelete