Sunday, May 17, 2026

Georgia Tom Dorsey - Come On Mama Do That Dance (1928-1932)

 


'Come On Mama Do That Dance (1928–1932)' is a blues compilation album featuring the early work of Thomas A. "Georgia Tom" Dorsey. Originally released as a vinyl LP in 1974 by Yazoo Records, today's freeload is a 1992 CD reissue, with improved audio.

This collection captures Georgia Tom's transformative period, transitioning from a secular "Hokum" blues pianist and songwriter to the pioneering figure who would later be widely acknowledged as the father of gospel music.  It spans the peak years of his secular career, during which he frequently collaborated with the legendary slide guitar player Tampa Red and vocalists such as Kansas City Kitty and Jane Lucas.

"If You See My Saviour" (Track 7) is a pivotal moment in American music history, that shows Georgia Tom’s early success in mixing traditional blues with gospel lyrics.  It’s kind of funny how someone who played wild, fun songs at juke-joints could also write such a song and then completely reinvent modern Black gospel music.


Initially, Georgia Tom’s upbeat spirituals were unceremoniously rejected by many churches.  This led him to remark:
"I’ve been thrown out of some 
of the best churches in America".

I just love the upbeat style of Hokum blues its risqué lyrics, double entendres, and sexual innuendo always makes me smile and sometimes makes me literally laugh out loud.

So, for the freeload, what are some of your favorite comedy albums?

16 comments:

  1. The funny thing about comedy records is that they can wear out their welcome pretty quickly. Unlike music, which is impervious to getting stale, at least when it's a good kind of music. Many of the comedy records I enjoyed back in the day have lost their luster with repeated listening. I tend to look for new material as opposed to old favorites.

    That said, I have a number of Dr. Demento albums, including a box set. They are handy to have around when you've got young guests on hand. Who can resist roly-poly fish heads? Although not strictly comedy albums, I also dote on the many recordings of Joe Frank, the radio dramatist and surrealist whose vast legacy of shows offers an endless fount of humor of a very special kind.

    And finally, there's the wonderful repartee between Sonny Boy Williamson II and Leonard Chess that appears on the Chess LP, "Bummer Road." The argument between the notoriously cranky Williamson and the studio boss, who was impatient to get the song, "Little Village." cut, is hilarious. Because the ongoing argument is interspersed with a succession of failed takes, somehow that keeps it fresh. "Little Village, motherfucker! Little Village!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greil Marcus version of the Sonny Boy exchange is great
    Meanwhile....
    Mel Brooks & Carl Reiner 2000/2013 Year Old Man stuff
    Canceled (but "Moose Story" & "My Mother Gave me a Bullet")
    Canceled (but "Noah & the Ark")
    Dad had Flip Wilson & George Carlin albums that had moments
    Tom Leher
    A friends dad had a Justin Wilson album he played over & over

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Buttoned Down Mind of Bob Newhart
    George Carlin's AM/FM
    Cheech y Chong - Los Cochinos
    Songs by Tom Lehrer
    Have never been a huge comedy album fan, but those have been in my collection at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was just a little boy... my folks had a few Bill Cosby records. For certain reasons I haven't revisited them. Probably the funniest albums were from Firesign Theatre, especially Bozos and Everything You Know Is Wrong. I'm still waiting to find a digital copy of the Martian Space Party film...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Firesign Theater. --Muzak McMusics

    ReplyDelete
  6. ANON RF: The first 27 Firesign Theatre albums would suffice. But after that: Bob & Ray (all of it). Then: Freberg, Lehrer, Newhart, anything Lenny Bruce, Robert Klein, some Carlin, some Pryor, Conception Corporation-ish, Spike Jones (all of it), et al. The Rutles and The Hee Bee Gee Bees

    (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXqARcEMiFE&list=RDEMG9EZ-k6Dmo_3tt1uON_asQ&index=1).

    As a kid, used to enjoy Soupy Sales and Pardon My Blooper LPs. And I keep nostalgically searching for a silly LP based around Elephant Jokes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Smothers Brothers! The aforementioned Firesign Theater, Spike Jones, and Tom Lehrer. The Fugs, Monty Python's records, PDQ Bach, and the "Down East" humor of Bert & I.

    Looking forward to Tom Dorsey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ANON RF: Seconded on all of the above! P.S. Mom always liked you best!

      Delete
  8. Steven Wright's "I Have a Pony" & "I Still Have a Pony"

    ~Jon in Cali

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agree about Firesign Theater, which withstands multiple listenings. I also still adore Stan Freeberg, especially his record "...Modestly Presents The United States of America." I doted on it when I was a small child, along with several soundtrack albums (which had their comedic moments).
    D in California

    ReplyDelete
  10. Phantom Of The Rock OperaMay 17, 2026 at 8:46 PM

    Monty Python, Robin WIlliams, Eddie Murphy, Ben Elton, Billy Connolly and as a child I used to delight in playing Stan Freberg's version of ' Yellow Rose of Texas'.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still listen to Firesign Theatre & Monty Python. The rest not so much, however if I happen across any of them I'll stick around. When I was a kid, I used to love Flip Wilson. Thanks Babs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Steven Wright, "I Have A Pony", and its brilliantly-titled follow-up "I Still Have A Pony".

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carlin's 'Take-Offs and Put-Ons', the first three Cheech & Chongs (especially the debut), Rowan & Martin's 'The Humor Of', and the early National Lampoon stuff all still make me laugh/chuckle/smile after decades of listening.
    C in California

    ReplyDelete
  14. Link
    https://workupload.com/file/Ku6aWLzfgDr

    ReplyDelete
  15. The 2 Peter Sellers albums, The Best of Sellers (10") and Songs for Swingin' written by Monkhouse & Goodwin, the Beyond the Fringe cast recording, Radio Dinner by the Lampoon (someone on some site thought the Magical Misery Tour track was really Lennon), a bit of Lord Buckley (...and that's when I saw...the Bear!) Oh and the Stan Freberg albums and the Goons. Very entertaining when you're 13.

    ReplyDelete