Tuesday, May 19, 2026

Charlie Haden - The Montreal Tapes: with Gonzalo Rubalcaba and Paul Motian

For the time being, my postings here are going to be less frequent, as Denise "The Grease" is having major health issues, and is currently hospitalized. 

The Montreal Tapes, featuring Gonzalo Rubalcaba and Paul Motian, was recorded on July 3, 1989, at the Festival International de Jazz de Montréal. It was released on the Verve Records label in 1997, and was produced by Ruth Cameron (Charlie's wife and manager).


During the 1989 Montreal International Jazz Festival, the organizers gave Charlie complete freedom to perform a series of concerts with various lineups.  Other entries in the Montreal Tapes series feature trios with Geri Allen, Paul Bley, and Joe Henderson, as well as his larger Liberation Music Orchestra. 

In 1989, twenty three-year-old Gonzalo Rubalcaba was a rising star in Cuba but remained largely unknown to broader Western audiences due to travel and trade restrictions.  Charlie was a fan of Gonzalo whom he had met at Havana's Jazz Plaza festival in 1986, and invited him to perform at Montreal, and the festival was able to arrange for Rubalcaba's trip from Cuba.  This served as a major global launchpad for the pianist's international career.

Charlie Haden and Paul Motian provide a solid and deeply empathetic rhythm section, while Gonzalo Rubalcaba frequently propels the music forward with lightning-fast and dazzling melodic runs.  

This standard of playing on this trio recording is right up there with Bill, Oscar, and Keith.

Link

https://workupload.com/file/7ADcSpAVnsx

See you guys soon!

18 comments:

  1. Oh man, so sorry to read about Denise. Positive thoughts to her, her friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Babs.Sending golden healing light, positive thoughts, good vibes, & prayers for Denise "the Grease" & everyone involved. Thanks Babs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please give Denise all our best wishes. One of the good guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto to the above. Good luck, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As above--all best to Denise and her krewe, including you. Thanks to you, she's part of the music & magic here...

    ReplyDelete
  6. ANON RF: Bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ANON RF: Bless you both and sending love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear this, Babs. Every day (whether you're young or otherwise) is a blessing, and close friends are the ones to share the blessings with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending good juju Denise's way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We all wish Denise well, and hope for her recovery. Please take all the time you need, and we'll enjoy looking through your back pages in the meantime.
    D in California

    ReplyDelete
  11. Phantom Of The Rock OperaMay 20, 2026 at 7:18 PM

    i hope everthing turns out for the best, Babs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sending positive energy to NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hopefully this will send good vibes to Denise:

    [Chorus]
    Oh, Denise, scooby doo
    I'm in love with you, Denise, scooby doo
    I'm in love with you, Denise, scooby doo
    I'm in love with you

    [Verse 1]
    Denise, Denise
    Oh, with your eyes so blue
    Denise, Denise
    I've got a crush on you
    Denise, Denise
    I'm so in love with you

    [Verse 2]
    Oh, when we walk
    It seems like paradise
    Oh, when we talk
    It always feels so nice
    Denise, Denise
    I'm so in love with you, oh

    [Pre-Chorus]
    You're my queen
    And I'm in heaven every time I look at you
    When you smile, it's like a dream
    And I'm so lucky, 'cause I found a girl like you
    You might also like
    Arabian Nights
    Will Smith
    Runaround Sue
    Dion
    Song for Denise (Maxi Version)
    Piano Fantasia
    [Chorus]
    Oh, Denise, scooby doo
    I'm in love with you, Denise, scooby doo
    I'm in love with you, Denise, scooby doo
    I'm in love with you

    [Verse 3]
    Denise, Denise
    Oh, won't you hold me tight?
    Denise, Denise
    Oh, can we kiss goodnight?
    Denise, Denise
    I'm so in love with you, oh

    [Chorus]
    Oh, Denise, scooby doo
    I'm in love with you, Denise, scooby doo
    I'm in love with you, Denise, scooby doo
    I'm in love with you

    ReplyDelete
  14. Best wishes to Denise "The Grease" and I hope that she has a speedy recovery. My longest lasting friendship is 59 years and counting and I know that your friendship with her goes back a bit further.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hope she survives the hospital food.

    ReplyDelete