Wednesday, February 18, 2026

Chris Whitley – 'On Air'



I first became aware of Chris in 1981, when he was busking in Washington Square Park, in Greenwich Village.  What struck about Chris back then was, he was twenty-one years old, and already a fully realized bluesman, who could hold his own against any blues act.  

Chris was also friendly, mild-mannered, and refreshingly modest (a lot of buskers back then acted as if they were some sort of "star").  As with many street musicians who come to New York, they arrive in early Spring, and leave late Autumn, and Chris was no different.  Through the grapevine, I heard "He's somewhere in Europe" (I later found out, he actually went to Belgium).

In 1991, I was shopping in Tower Records' downtown location, and there I saw a large promotional poster for Chris' first album 'Living with the Law' — and on the prestigious Columbia Records label no less!

Chris Whitley was stolen from us by cancer far too early, at the age of 45.  He was an incredible guitarist, vocalist, and songwriter willing to walk away from a lucrative contract and a carefully crafted record company image to maintain the integrity of his music.  Chris was fearless when it came to following his musical instinct, which is reflected in his seventeen albums.




'On Air' was recorded on September 8, 2003, in the Radio Bremen Sendesaal concert hall in Bremen, Germany, and was broadcast live, hence "On Air".  It was released in 2008 on the Tradition & Moderne label.

This is my favorite Chris Whitley recording.  It's just his voice, his National Reso-Phonic guitar and a miked foot stomp board, it reminds me of him playing in Washington Square Park, only there he kept time by stomping his cowboy boots on the pavement.


The 18 tracks are some of his best original work, stripped to the bone, and intermingled with several covers by J.J. Cale, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, Muddy Waters, the Doors, and Buddy Holly.  It's hard to single out any of the songs, as they are all sublime.

Yesterday was a decidedly strange day.  Monday afternoon, I had a slight toothache, but by Monday night, it went away.  I woke up Tuesday morning in a great deal of pain, went to my Dentist, and ended up having a root canal.  When I returned to the button factory, on my front stoop was the cutest little ginger "tom" kitten, who was clearly distressed, so I picked him up, brought him upstairs, gave him a bowl of milk.  When I tried to pet, his little head, he bit me and ran away.  A few hours later, he came out of hiding I fed him, and gave him a bath, which was straight out of an "I Love Lucy" episode.  So it looks like a have a cat…  Friday he goes to the Vet.

Sooo, for the freeload help me name this cat.

41 comments:

  1. To keep with the theme of the day “Busker”

    Gbrand

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. That's a little too long of a name for a cat.
      Oh wait, you mean Trixie. Yes I have.

      Delete
  3. First thought, blues, ginger - Rory. Glad you got your mouth taken care of, very important even if a bit painful, Never a good time.
    I might as I sometimes do, expand later. Thanks Babs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tooth feels fine, but I have that post root canal clove taste in my mouth from the eugenol.

      Delete
  4. Many years ago, our daughter rescued a kitten after a mini-flood and insisted on keeping her. She wanted to name it Cannabis, but we insisted on changing it to Candace, cuz what would the vet say? We also had a cat we named Joshua until we realized he was a she, so we renamed her Josha.
    My favorite was a big black & white, semi-feral stray that refused to come inside (no litter box!), loved dogs and took no shit from anybody. We named her Zappa, after a similar cat some friends had previously. Unfortunately, we had to move to the city. She watched us pack and hid out on moving day. Pretty smart, cuz I don't think she's like suburbia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In honour of a fantastic guy I knew. He had a horrifying aphasia, and syndrome of Marfan. He had a ginger cat, and when it died, he got another ginger cat. He could not say the word cat, he always talked about Joris (that is George in English) He also could not name me, I was Him from the City. Great guy, I learned so much from him. Not to try and fill in his meanings, be patient just trying to understand. So difficult. I named my ginger cat after his. Joris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Button, as in 'cute as' or 'where it turned up in your life'. If it turns into a jerk cat, can be shortened to Butt.
    C in California

    ReplyDelete
  7. How about Tuesday?
    All of our cats have been foundlings of one sort or another. Among the most memorable was Tripod, a spirited ginger cat missing his right rear leg – apparently the result of a trap. The missing leg was never a handicap; Tripod streaked up trees and stalked birds with all the acrobatic skills of his four-legged peers. We lost another remarkable feline last July at the ripe age of 21. Zahira took no shit from anybody but could be exceedingly loving on her own terms. Our current cat, Cleo, is a wuss puss but she's exceedingly cuddly. Thanks to the advice of an excellent local vet, we began feeding our cats with raw food and watched with amazement as what we thought were chronic diseases cleared up once the cats got on a real carnivore diet. We grind whole chickens, salmon scraps and so on, and since switching to that regimen, all of our cats have thrived. If you've got the time and inclination, I highly recommend doing this. Even the premium cat foods are really pretty crappy. Failing the DIY approach, you can probably find commercially prepared frozen raw food too – with more general knowledge about feline nutrition, that's also pretty available option.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got to see Chris once in the early 90s at Toad’s Place in New Haven, CT. He performed shirtless, his long, stringy hair hanging down like an unwashed hippie panhandler. Yes, he looked terrible. But he sounded great, and blew that room apart. Would have loved to see him again, but never had the chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The A&R genius' at Columbia Records, were trying to give Chris a Tom Waits type of vibe. Something, by all accounts, he didn't dig.

      Delete
  9. Sorry about the tooth, great stuff about Whitley, and given the Chinese New Year, how about Māo. which I think is Chinese for cat? Also the Kliban (?) cartoon of the 2-3 cats in Mao suits, one of them saying "mousie dung"...Sorry, I am (v) easily amused...

    ReplyDelete

  10. “I named my dog Stay, so I can say, 'Come here, Stay! Come here, Stay!”

    ― Steven Wright

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I threw away a stick and then I said "Stay" and he did

      Delete
  11. Hope the cat's doing better! BTW milk's not a good choice, unless you want a shitty-kitty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, but being a lacto-vegetarian it was the only thing I had on hand for a cat. I warmed it, he loved it.

      Delete
    2. And watch your LPs when he grows up. I used to store mine on ground level with the spines showing, but in reach of cat's scratching & shredding them to pieces, making them unreadable and worthless to collectors...Meow, meow!

      Delete
  12. Phantom of The Rock OperaFebruary 18, 2026 at 6:48 PM

    Well given its a 'tom' cat and its already throwing its weight around and won't be messed with easily how about "TC'' which can not only stand for tom cat but 'Top Cat' (after the cartoon cat) or even 'T'ooth & 'C'law which Babs already seems to know too much about from him and no doubt as it grows older will end up ruling the roost like most cats do anyway....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Baker (Ginger)
    Van (Ginger)
    Bickie (Ginger)
    Marmalade
    Toofy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bodhi (as in sattva)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Link
    https://workupload.com/file/Zn3BzJdqQH8

    ReplyDelete
  16. Last night I played Django Reinhardt's 1947 version of "Nuages" the one with Maurice Meunier on clarinet (Catalog# Swing 438) for a friend, and it hit me: Django!
    Thanks for all the suggestions, but I'm going with Django.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the right name comes along, you know it immediately. Wishes for a long and happy relationship, Babs

      Delete
    2. Perfecto! Congratulations. Thanks Babs

      Delete
  17. Chris was great... Good luck with your teeth, Babs, toothaches can be terrible... Django is a great name for a cat, ours are Brownie & Metang, that last one is actually Thai meaning 'have money', my wife's idea... Obviously we will never be rich, but I'll settle for good health and no tooth aches!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Late to the game (was in Cadiz for their Carnival celebration!), but how about Chompers as a name for your new pet?!? Glad the root canal is a thing in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Feel free to use the name of our household feline: "DamnCat." She arrived at Poverty Ridge & started hanging out, then staged a home invasion. Off to the vet, she went. The vet asked for her name. I said "All I've ever called her is damn cat," so "D.C." got put on her permanent record.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete