Thursday, February 26, 2026

The Good Ol' Grateful Dead - Winterland June 1977: The Complete Recordings

 

'Winterland June 1977: The Complete Recordings' is a 9CD box set, released on October 1st, 2009 on the Grateful Dead Records label.

Captured on June 7th–9th, 1977, the three-show run took place during what is widely regarded as one of the Dead’s strongest periods.  This was one year after the band returned from a 19-month hiatus, one month after the famous Cornell 5/8/1977 show which was part of the same spring tour and shortly before the release of 'Terrapin Station' in July 1977.

The shows were recorded by the Dead's sound engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson, and remastered Jeffrey Norman from the original master analog tapes.  Betty Cantor-Jackson's recordings are known for their high quality sound, and referred to by Dead Heads as "Betty Boards".


The box has 28-page booklet (included in the freeload) with an essay by David Fricke, it also features lots of great photographs of the shows, by noted Grateful Dead "shutterbugs" Ed Perlstein and Bruce Polonsky.








Also included in the box are two little pieces of period memorabilia; a button badge and a postcard.






But wait, there's more!

If you pre-ordered this box set (which I did), you also received a bonus CD Grateful Dead show in Chicago on May 12, 1977, which is also in the freeload.



For the freeload, tell us what you were doing in 1977?

44 comments:

  1. I was three years old, I remember siting in a sandbox in the backyard...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good afternoon, I was 13 years old and my interests shifted from matchbox cars to girls. My first favorite bands and singers were important, as was Dr. Sommer and his sex education advice in Bravo magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turned 18. Got sick the day after, prompting my sister and mother to wink at each other, thinking the boy had been out drinking. Well, I had, but I also had appendicitis and had it taken out later that day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a newlywed working on the 13th floor of an insurance company in Houston TX. Hated the town & job, quit & moved the next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I turned 21 in Santa Fe. Living in the mountains outside Santa Fe & outside Tesuque, in Rio En Medio. We hitchhiked everywhere we went. We worked construction, building the North Hills Compound on the Old Taos Highway on the edge of town. Most days we'd go to Beva's for burrito dinners and then head back out to the highway for rides home, next to the National Cemetery & across the road from Albertson's.
    Beva Cafe had the hottest green chile in town. We smoked a lot of pot. We drank a lot of beer, lotta shots of Wild Turkey. We were hippie cowboys on the loose & runnin' wild. Most weekends we'd wind up at The Line Camp in Pojoaque to see who was playing. Saw Los Lobos there the first time, but I don't think it was 1977. They were touring in a dodge van.
    We'd spend a good amount of time just heading up into the Sangres (Sangre De Cristo mountains) to hike around, the views from up there were (& are still) outrageous. We could easily see Los Alamos across the Rio Grande valley, it was about 40 miles away on the eastern face of the Jemez mountains. Looking south, we could see the Sandias, just outside Albuquerque, about 70 miles away. The vistas are amazing!
    Once in 1977, a couple of friends came to visit from Kansas and we took a week to hike the Pecos Wilderness from Cowles up to Pecos Baldy & Truchas Peaks (both) & then back.
    1977 was a good year, I think. I have vivid memories, the smell of pinon fires & roasting green chiles. Hope I never forget. Thanks Babs

    ReplyDelete
  6. I turned 24 and was beginning to study ethnology and sociology at Frankfurt University. Still had to wait till 1981 to see the Dead again after I had been lucky to see them the first time in 1972 at the Jahrhunderthalle in Frankfurt. Thanks for the music, Babs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had just quit my job with a legal firm in LA, and joining with a couple of friends, planned to open a bookstore dealing with spiritual and occult works. It never happened. Instead, we ran into a couple looking to sell a nascent cotton clothing micro scale business, making drawstring pants and such for recovering hippies. Despite knowing absolutely nothing about making clothes or selling them, we took the plunge and after moving the business across the country to Maryland, found ourselves running a cottage industry with dozens of home based stitchers who had been displaced by the offshoring of the US textile and apparel industries. As a relatively tiny business in the world of apparel, I had to wear many hats and in so doing learned a lot of skills in dealing with technology and people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1977, after all the boring (hotel california, fleetwood rumours, etc) there was Music by The Sex Pistols. At last I became alive

    ReplyDelete
  9. Let's see, buying records, going to gigs, rehearsing with an improvising orchestra, wondering why I didn't have a girlfriend...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Buying my first house and awaiting the arrival of my first born son. Also scouring the cut-out bins for great music and building bookcases for the ever growing vinyl collection.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Getting my Master's Degree, a job, and a new car.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Freshman year in college - in beautiful Baton Rouge, La.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BRLA--bless your heart. I had happily fled there the before to start college...

      Delete
    2. I enjoyed my 7 years there (4 undergrad and 3 for law school). But, it changed tons since then and not sure I would take that trek today. But, back in the late 70s-early 80s, it was a damn nice place.

      Delete
  13. In 1977, I turned 30. I was living in Greenwich Village, and raising my two daughters with my husband Jerry. Work wise, that year I moved from insurance, to Wall Street (with a huge case of imposter syndrome) as Global Director Of Quantitative Research, a position I would hold for the next forty years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and I thought I was cool for having the same job for 19 years...

      wow, much respect for you Babs!

      Delete
    2. Deep bow to you, querida amiga.

      Delete
  14. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...
    I was finishing college, which unfortunately came too close to finishing me. I did research on self-management and expropriation by French watchmakers, reading a bunch of newspaper stories and some longer pieces in French and using them as the basis for my Junior and then Senior Honors project in Government. I should've been using it to prepare myself for graduate school, but I had no clue. Plus I spent my non-academic time on college radio and smoking pot.
    It was the best of times because of the friends I had at the radio station and in the dorms. It was the worst of times because I procrastinated and didn't have much outside direction (I turned twenty in '77). So, I got myself into a bad headspace, until it became clear that I would, in fact, be allowed to graduate. Hooray!
    Notable shows at the College included Talking Heads (!!), New Grass Revival, and the comedy duo Procter & Bergman.
    D in California

    ReplyDelete
  15. ANON RF: What a GREAT question! Learning so much about you guys up the top of the page!

    I was living in Toluca Lake in my first apartment, trying to get a break as a TV writer. I remember writing something for The Odd Couple that wasn't taken up. I wrote treatments for at least two movies, as I recall, but when I submitted them, I was told I had to submit through an agent. I called a bunch of agents who said, "we can't rep you as you have no track record". And with that particular catch 22, I gave up, as I was fed up with LA and wanted to write for the theater anyway. I still tell people who ask, that I visited it in 68 with my folks, having entirely blocked the memory of my 1977 year there.

    I remember two things vividly: one was a beautiful young woman (maybe 35?) who walked in her negligee like a ghost around our apartment's pool, her mother guiding her by the arm. The story was that a producer tried to molest her and when she said no he bashed her in the head with a coffee table. Too horrible.

    The other was of a woman with a cart overflowing with groceries coming up to me in this massive supermarket sobbing loudly and miserably because "Elvis is DEAD!!!" She wouldn't move on from me until I agreed that this was the greatest tragedy ever! (And maybe it was?)

    Oh, and (last chapter of novel) I also remember driving up a street in I think Beverly Hills because I'd been told that if I was homesick (I WAS), there was an entire street filled with desiduous trees planted by a New York film exec in the 20s? 30s? 40s? Whatever.

    The End. Or is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best comment on the internet today!

      Best Regards!

      - Jon in Cali, previously in a sandbox...

      ps

      I know those neighbourhoods and the people that inhabit them...



      Delete
    2. ANON RF: Thanks for the kind words, brother anon!

      Delete
  16. 1977, having jumped back in to school, which i swore i'd never do again, i got in to the student life, college bars, part time jobs. Other than that, i wish i could remember.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Phantom Of The Rock OperaFebruary 26, 2026 at 9:14 PM

    Listening to 'Rattus Norvegicus, The Clash, In The City and of course 'Never Mind The Bollocks'. John (gawd bless him).

    No wonder I failed my exams. Although that said I was more interested in leaving School and getting the job than getting brainwashed in the Britain's University system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phantom Of The Rock OperaFebruary 26, 2026 at 9:18 PM

      That should read 'John Peel (gawd bless him) managed to break the embargo on playing the Pistols and played the whole album on air when it was released. He had to wait until after midnight though so not to upset the British establishment......

      Delete
  18. Sophomore year of college in Austin, Texas, the right place at the right time for most any kinda music you can imagine, but like Richard I was lit up by punk, at that point The Ramones mostly (it was 9 January 1978 when I met and saw the Sex Pistols at the Kingfish in BRLA where I was back working for the holidays). 1977 was a wonderful year for me pretty much everywhichway. I imagine pmac and I crossed paths at a few shows in BRLA and NOLA, which is kinda fun. I even played a show there in 1980 or 1981 in Tiger Town with a band called The Human Rayz led by Bill Davis, later of Dash Rip Rock--it was a hot mess.

    Thanks Babs, and 40 years, Damn. I bailed on my gig after 33 years (couldn't quite make it to 33&1/3 the way academia is structured), though of you count grad school I suppose I plied my trade for about 41 years and am still writing, the way geeky old academics do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually saw you perform! Human Rayz was a very good band and Davis was lit as fuck. Those early years of Dash Rip Rock were fun. The Kingfish was a great venue and I spent a lot of time there, as well as Tabby's Blues Box (think it opened in '79?!?).

      Delete
    2. That's crazy....Tabby's wasa place and close to a version of Didee's with their duck. The Kingfish was one of several places Danny Kertacy, Glenn Bynum, and some others owned and operated and they were kind enough to start hiring me when I was 17 to work as a bouncer at their various places. The Kingfish was the best, by far.

      Bill Davis was (and is) a fine fellow and it is amusing that he thought I was something because I was coming from Austin....it was a long time ago.

      Delete
    3. Dash still gets together. I never saw the reunited version, but the videos really don't seem show them in a great light. I get the feeling that while Dash was damn good, they also were a product of the time. Tabby's was such an amazing cultural trip for me. I would often be the only Caucasian there, and it never bothered me, or as best that I could tell, anyone else. Once saw Lonesome Sundown (Excello artist Cornelius Green) perform there, and to this day, I have memorized the songlist he used.

      Delete
  19. March 77 I was busted along with dozens of others. The rest of the year was spent in denial mostly. Made it worse.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Link 1
    https://workupload.com/file/wW7hCzAQvgf

    Link 2
    https://workupload.com/file/gBe4SrPTeN2

    Link 3
    https://workupload.com/file/8yyJajTcRWW

    Link 4
    https://workupload.com/file/Ns3Q22Jb2dj

    ReplyDelete
  21. The only way I can pinpoint specific years is by relating them to albums, and 77 was my Low year. I took my New Musical Express to the barber, showed him a picture of Bowie, and said, that's the kind of look that would be right for me. My hair at that point was down to my belt and I was sick of it (and so was my wife). So the poor guy did what he could but the result was a new low., even for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, please let there be photos of this floating around somewhere in the deep recesses of the interwebs....

      Delete
    2. Was this the gravity defying haircut referred to as the "rooster" or “pineapple”?

      Delete
    3. I'm thinking he also had the added flourishes on the sides, ala the bride of Frankenstein. Mind you, I feel like I can throw the biblical stones, since around 78-79, I had a haircut straight out of DeNiro's Taxi role.

      Delete
    4. I looked more like Jim-Bob Walton. Mericifully, no photos are known to exist.

      Delete
    5. None of me either which makes me so happy that my youthful days existed before the existence of cell phone cameras.

      Delete
  22. As a Global Director, did you meet the in-house Horoscope Guru, all major Wall Street firm have one. What's funny, they hide them behind another job title/description.

    Like FT3, nothing special in '77, though in the autumn I came to New York to see the "new" MoMA and "Guernica", but I was more impressed by the other huge painting beside it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the in-house “financial astrologer” and “financial numerologist” urban legends. 


      Ask yourself: If self-proclaimed astrologer’s/numerologists were in any way shape or form reality based, why would they work a “9 to 5”, when they could be self-employed billionaires?

      Delete
    2. ANON RF: I visited MOMA in 1978 and remember turning the corner of a room and seeing Guernica. Honestly it was one of the most impactful Art experiences I ever had. That, and in The Hague when I turned and saw Vermeer's Pearl Earring. It was in '76, so it was not so famous as now and it was new to me. I fell hopelessly in love.

      Delete
    3. Seeing Guernica in 1981 in SPain fucked me up for a week. The painting, the people looking at it with tears streaming down their faces, the fact that was in an annex to El Prado (Casón del Buen Retiro, I think?). It's amazing.

      Delete
    4. Oh man, you are correct about where the original resides. But, we actually went to the town, Guernica, last year and there is a Peace Museum there, that still haunts me. Franco's atrocities kinda get overlooked given the onset of WW2 and the attendant genocide, but what happened in Guernica is also soul destroying, and that museum exists so that people do not forget.

      Delete
  23. Graduated from University. Didn't have a job. Didn't have a girlfriend. Moved back in with my parents. Got depressed. Got a job. Discovered punk rock.

    I didn't know it then, but things were about to get better.

    ReplyDelete