
The first time I heard Emitt Rhodes was in the Spring of 1970, on WMBR FM (The Massachusetts Institute of Technology's student-run college radio station), while sitting in M.I.T.'s cafeteria listening to a small transistor radio.
I don't remember the song that was playing, but I do remember thinking it was decidedly "Beatlesque". After the song finished, the DJ said, "No, that wasn't Paul McCartney, it was Emitt Rhodes".
Emitt Rhodes was the drummer, principal songwriter and leader of the late 60s California mop-topped group The Merry-Go-Round, whose infectious psych-popsound was influenced by The Beatles and British Invasion. Their biggest US chart entry was "Live", which was covered by The Bangles on their debut album 'All Over the Place' from 1984.
In 1969, the Merry-Go-Round dissolved before their contract with A&M was up, leaving 19-year-old Emitt to cut a solo album titled 'The American Dream', to fulfill his legal obligations to the label. A&M, however, decided to can the record (it contained some re-worked Merry-Go-Round leftovers) and instead allowed Emitt to cut a brand-new LP.
What emerged was a highly accomplished self-titled album, released in 1970. It was recorded in Emmitt’s home studio using a four-track tape machine. Emmitt wrote all his own material and played all the instruments. Although it didn’t achieve chart success at the time, it has since stood the test of time and is now considered a true tour de force of melodic, pop music.
Emitt recorded two more very fine albums, 'Mirror' in 1971, and 'Farewell To Paradise' in 1972, as well as the non-album single Tame The Lion. Sadly, Emitt became disillusioned with the music business after the commercial failure of his music and never recorded again.
'The Emitt Rhodes Recordings [1969-1973]' is a two CD set that features a previously unreleased 'American Dream', his self-titled debut album 'Emitt Rhodes', 'Mirror', and 'Farewell to Paradise' as well as the non-album single "Tame The Lion". This is a great collection of infectious, melodic Beatles-like tunes.
How in the world Emitt, a first class songwriter and artist, was never hugely successful is unbelievable to me.
For the freeload, what are some of your favorite winter Olympic sports?


Love hockey, and actually played it for a few years, but its a sport mostly known outside of olympic circles. Curling has always fascinated me. Its a sport much like the same way I consider golf - you can compete while smoking a cigarette and swilling a beer.
ReplyDeleteLove Curling! I used to think it was ridiculous, not unlike synchronized swimming. But then I watched it, and then saw the strategy behind it all. Speaking of sports you can compete while smoking a cigarette and swilling a beer, I play Pétanque (similar to Italian Bocce & English Bowls) , with French expats in Washington Square Park.
DeleteThere are Petanque clubs in Seville. Often there are more people watching than participating which is an odd site.
DeleteBecause cyclo cross is not (yet) olympic I think figure skating
ReplyDeleteCyclo-cross really should be in the Olympics.
DeleteANON RF: YAYYYY! And, the luge.
ReplyDeleteI don't care about sports, winter or otherwise, but I care about music, and, Ms. Babs, I've heard so much about Rhodes over the years that it surprises me to think that I'm still unfamiliar with his actual music. So thank you so very much for this offering, and so many other offerings (that I've yet to catch up on!!) on this blog. You, and your stories, are a treasure. It was California's loss when you moved back to NY after uni.
ReplyDeleteC in California
Appreciated, thanks.
DeleteHe, in fact, did record again, the rueful 2016's Rainbow Ends (i'd be happy to upload if wanted). There is also the very poignant documentary, The One Man Beatles. As to winter sports, I'm hoping they bring back dogsled racing, or full-country snowball fights. --Muzak McMusics
ReplyDeleteWistful more than rueful . . . , I'm editing myself. --Muzak McM.
Deletehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3KRJLPn0zA The documentary
DeleteANON RF: Oh my gosh, Brother Anonymous, thanks for that link. The doc is terrific (so far...)
Deletelove watching Curling. would love to try it.
ReplyDeleteThe only winter sport I have any time for really these days is Ice Hockey and as for the Olympics it suffers from the same things as most supranational institutions suffer from. Its intrinsically corrupt so I'm really not interested in it other than to see it held to account.
ReplyDeleteBut hey I'll be fascinated to listen to the Emitt Rhodes.collection so thanks very much for that in advance Babs.
Any time, any place anywhere money is involved, things are always intrinsically corrupt. I couldn't care less about what country wins the most medals, or the melodramatic backstories, the media love to focus on. I just like the world-class athleticism.
DeleteBombshelter Slim
ReplyDeleteCurling!
DeleteI have extended family in British Columbia that take curling VERY seriously, like they do it every weekend in a league or something. As a spectator - in person, which I have been, it is a slight improvement on watching paint dry.
Delete- Jon in Cali
I'll confess that up until 1990 or so, I (as a proud British Columbian) felt about the same way about the sport. For whatever reason, my wife and I became fans, attending events (including one world championship close by) and glued to the tube whenever it is being broadcast. No explanations available from this corner, though...
DeleteDownhill. The World Cup replaced The Olympics for this discipline. And this year, it's ridiculous. Breezy Johnson won by "6 hundredth of a second", only high tech could come up with a so-called "winner".
ReplyDeleteToday, the interest in the Games, is watching the new disciplines added. Take care.
Link
ReplyDeletehttps://workupload.com/file/DthqaCc8Tev
Ski jumping for its sheer audacity, penis-enhanced or otherwise.
ReplyDeleteI'm envious…
DeleteCan someone explain please? Learning ski jumping can really do this enhancing?
Deletehttps://www.theguardian.com/sport/2026/feb/09/ski-jumpers-winter-olympics-2026-milano-cortina-
DeleteI have to wonder how many of them already have a "Prince Albert", if you know what I mean…
Delete"injecting hyaluronic acid into their penises"
ReplyDeleteThanks team!
ps
Do you have Prince Albert in a can?
Yes!
Well, you'd better let him out!
My favorite winter sport? Indoor drinking.
ReplyDeleteLinda Ronstadt recorded "You're A Very Lovely Woman" under the alternate title "(She's A) Very Lovely Woman" as the A-side of non-LP single in 1971. She performed it live on the Andy Williams show and video is up at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiQs3yKfys8
ReplyDeleteRonstadt's cover charted in some markets and eked out a #70 on Billboard's Hot 100. It was not issued on CD until the 2000's, turning up as a bonus track on an Australian two-fer of Hand Sewn/Silk Purse...which makes it pretty obscure but with Bab's erudite audience, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's heard it.
The Merry-Go-Round's "Live" was a Top 10 hit in San Francisco, hitting #6 on KYA and #8 on powerhouse KFRC.