
Members of the group were
—John Phillips (1935–2001), who was the primary songwriter and musical architect of the group.
—"Mama" Cass Elliot (1941–1974), was often cited as the group’s most powerful vocalist.
—Denny Doherty (1940–2007), sang tenor, his voice anchored many of their biggest hits.
— Michelle Phillips (born 1944), sang soprano, and is the only surviving member as of 2026. Fun Fact: Michelle had an eight-day marriage to Dennis Hopper (yes, eight days).
All four members were veterans of New York City’s Greenwich Village folk scene (Denny Doherty and "Mama" Cass Elliot performed in the "Mugwumps" with future members of the Lovin’ Spoonful), the Mamas and the Papas moved to Los Angeles in 1965. At Dunhill Records, with producer Lou Adler, they enjoyed a series of hits with well-written songs, mostly by John Phillips, that proved perfect vehicles for the group’s cascading harmonies, among them "California Dreamin", "Monday, Monday", and "Creeque Alley". Backing music was provided by The Wrecking Crew.
Despite their harmonious image, The Mamas and the Papas imploded in 1968 due to intense internal conflict, love triangles (Michelle Phillips' affair with Denny Doherty), creative exhaustion, and "Mama" Cass Elliot's desire for a solo career.
They briefly reunited in 1971 to fulfill a contract, and recorded 'People Like Us' before disbanding permanently as members pursued solo paths.
The albums are limited edition SHM-CD, reissues packaged in mini-LP replica sleeves. They were 96kHz/24bit flat transferred from analog master tapes and remastered at Universal Music Studios, Tokyo, in 2013.
These are the best versions available, though I've never been a fan of Lou Adler production style.
In the above photo, The Mamas & the Papas are all clearly high. So, for the freeload, what substance(s) do you think each of them is high on?









Interpretation. The germans have a nicer word "hineininterpretieren". Babs, your 'clearly' here is pushing everyone into your opinion. They look more exhausted than high to me.
ReplyDeleteSo your opinion is they’re tired…cool. You have your opinions, I have mine.
DeleteAll comments on this blog are opinions. Have you ever seen me berate anyone here for an opinion that have that’s different from mine?
Sorry, to sound negative, that was not my intention
DeleteNo worries, my friend!
DeleteIn my tongue in cheek opinion:
ReplyDeleteJohn Phillips cocaine and alcohol fueled.
"Mama" Cass stoned on weed.
Denny Doherty alcohol and weed.
Michelle Phillips barbiturates of some sort, it’s the 60s so probably Tuinal (aka “Tuies” and “Beans”) or Seconal (aka “Reds” and “Dolls”) or Nembutal (aka “Yellow Jackets”)
Oh man, Michelle is totally zonked - LSD?!? Yeah, 2 guys hit a spiff. Mama Cass - booze?
DeleteI think if Michelle was "dosed", her eyes would be wide open, with that goofy lysergic smile. Unless, of course, she's having a bum trip…
DeleteGood point. Michelle might also be close to pass out drunk, with a visit to the vomitorium occurring right after the photo was snapped.
DeleteJohn, I concur & will add weed.
ReplyDeleteCass, Hashish & maybe a little nitrous
Denny, concur.
Michelle, anything she could get her hands on, definitely a barbiturate of some sort.
Side note, Halloween I think 1978, I was greeter/bouncer at a local restaurant/bar, in drag as a cheerleader (with a Zappaesque mustache), while the host(ess) also in drag (& much better than me) was a very convincing statuesque playboy bunny. We shared yellow jackets and drank champagne in a nod to Marilyn, until we couldn't. Feeling no pain & somehow we got away with it. Never out of control but for sure on the edge. My only experience with Nembutal. Thanks Babs
ANON RF: John, Michelle, Denny... High on Weed. Cass.... High on the Billboard Charts.
ReplyDeleteJohn is clearly high on himself, as for the others your guess is as good as mine.
ReplyDeleteAgree with Slim -- John looks high on himself. Michelle might be regretting those 8 crazy days (and nights) with Dennis Hopper. Or pining for him, since Denny looks kinda bland in comparison.
DeleteI say they're all high on a conglomerate of intoxicating substances, each with his or her particular preference taking pride of place in their cerebrums.
ReplyDeleteJohn: smack
Michelle: weed and herself
Mama Cass: chicken sandwich
Denny Doherty: booze on top
I was going to say a ham sandwich on Mama Cass, since that was the longstanding rumor as to how she died.
DeleteOK, I confess, I nearly played the ham sandwich card, myself.
DeleteThat's the first thing I thought of, but as my wife is in my grandson's room giving him the news his Aunt Tara passed away (36, stroke) today, I'm not going to do it. I wish we had the mono master tapes of all of these...
DeleteYeah, the mono mastertapes would be very cool!
DeleteSorry to hear about Aunt Tara, draftervoi.
Link 1
ReplyDeletehttps://workupload.com/file/TwRy5vWyaQs
Link 2
https://workupload.com/file/anTbGBUApUq
It's just a snapshot (I mean, I hope!) and fatigue does have some effects on facial expression. I have *some* experience in imbibing and looking at people who've done so, and I'm inclined to defer to Babs' opinion. FWIW, John doesn't look smacked-out to me, and yes, Michelle does a great impression of "Debbie Downer: here.
ReplyDeleteVery sorry to hear about draftervoi's Tara; that's tragically young.
D in California
draftervoi, very sorry about Aunt Tara. Wishing you much strength & sending healing thoughts to you & your family.
ReplyDeleteThanks, you guys.
ReplyDeleteI've been giving these a listen; they sound great. The 60's stereo mixes are panned differently than the more centered stereo that pop-rock adopted in the 70s. In headphones, there's not much in the middle. The girls are on one side, the boys on the other, drums and bass on one side, guitars on the other. Very clear, the snare sounds realistic instead of mushy. :)