'Lotus' is a triple-live album by Santana, it was recorded at the Osaka Koseinenkin Hall, in Osaka, Japan on July 3rd and 4th, 1973, during their Caravanserai Tour. It was originally released for the Japanese domestic market only (or as we collectors them "JDMs"), in 1974.
The original LP release had a lavish sleeve that opened out to cover the average living room floor with a series of increasingly kitsch religious images.
But there’s nothing kitsch about the high-energy lineup performing extended, improvisational, and at times, spiritual tracks, capturing a 1973 "New Santana Band" at the height of their technical abilities.
![]() |
Doug Ranch on Bass
Richard Kermode and Tom Coster on Keyboards
Michael Shrieve on Drums
Armando Peraza and José "Chepito" Areas
Leon Thomas on VocalsCarlos was captivated by the early-seventies fusion pioneered by Miles Davis, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock and many others, he formed his third version of his eponymous band, which to my ears stands out as the best. This album focuses on lengthy instrumental explorations, meticulously maintained by a phenomenal three-to-four-man percussion section.one of the great live rock albums of all time, and to me, the last great Santana album.
The freeload is a 2016 SACD hybrid on two discs, reissued by the Audio Fidelity label, and has a deep and wide soundstage.
For the freeload, what's your favorite Santana album?







Borboletta
ReplyDeleteGbrand
"Moonflower" - it's where I started with them, so has sentimental value, though i realise it's not the original performances.
ReplyDeleteSentimental favorites are the best!
DeleteSantana debut album. I don't believe there was anything else like it at the time, at least not that you could hear in Kansas. Intoxicating. Still in frequent rotation these days.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to Lotus, I don't think I've heard it before. Thanks Babs
Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles! Live! (1972)
ReplyDeleteKind regards, Mike
My favorite album is also the debut album. Abraxas and Santana III were also very inspiring. The lineup with Gregg Rolie and Michael Shrieve in my view was the best. There are some good tracks on Welcome too and his explorations into jazz music were showing another interesting and innovative side of Carlos Santana. So I'm looking forward to hear Lotus, thanks Babs.
ReplyDeleteI love most all Santana's output, but I'd put Caravanserai & Borboletta on top. Lotus is definitely their best live effort!
ReplyDeleteStill a fan of Abraxas. But, I've not heard this o e and I am definitely intrigued.
ReplyDeleteCaravanserai.
ReplyDeleteEasily Abraxas, though I like Lotus quite a bit.
ReplyDeleteWelcome is running neck & neck with the album featured here.
ReplyDelete'Caravanserai'
ReplyDeleteBabs- I still have not located my vinyl copy of 'Lotus" (with no digital backup) so I am looking forward to this. I laughed when I saw the photo you posted of the 'Lotus' vinyl packaging splayed out on the floor in all its glory. When I last knew where the vinyl copy was, a friend's 18-year-old son watched in amazement when I did the same thing in my living room for him to see. He just knew about CD's and digital - had never seen old school vinyl with elaborate packaging. WAIT - maybe your photo jogged my memory - I think I can't find my copy because I gave the then 18-year-old my copy. If so, great - it should be in good hands for hopefully another 50 years. I can get by just fine with a pristine digital copy.
The original packaging was close to, if not totally ridiculous. The Stephen Marsh, Steve Hoffman remastering for this 2016 Audio Fidelity release, is nicely done.
DeleteANON RF: For me, it's the 3rd Album. Everybody's Everything is one of the most energized songs of the era. Abraxas is a close second, admittedly.
ReplyDeleteCarlos and his evolving band were on a tear between 1972 and 1974 with a series of unforgettable recordings: Caravanserai, Welcome, Love Devotion Surrender, and Lotus. In my estimation this was Santana's creative peak.
ReplyDeleteAbraxas of the Santana albums I've listened too.
ReplyDeleteAnother vote for Abraxas, though there are songs on the first and third self-titled albums that I also dearly love.
ReplyDeleteStill have to go with Abraxas. Great tunes that bring back great memories.
ReplyDeleteCaravanserai. Just wonderful. Got it when it came out. One of my top listens every year.
ReplyDeleteGuitar Heaven. Oh, all right then - Caravanserai, the absolute Everest of albums, perfect in conception and execution, and a constant source of wonder, inspiration, and comfort through the decades. Borboletta and Welcome come close.
ReplyDelete(I had Lotus on vinyl, and covered the living room floor with the sleeve. Impressive, but as you say, kitsch.)
Link
ReplyDeletehttps://workupload.com/file/8mZVZntQEHv
Thanx for the upgrade! I never had the vinyl cuz it was originally an import-only from Japan and was too pricey. Luckily, I taped it off the radio when they used to play new releases in their entirety at midnight.
ReplyDeleteAbraxas is my favorite, and the debute album. There was a sound, so fresh and wild - incredible!
ReplyDeletemany thanx for this! i can't stop listen to it...
ReplyDeletehuey
Had never heard anything like Abraxas (OK, I was a kid) and still haven't really...
ReplyDeleteAbraxas is one of my favourite albums of all time..and I love Caravanserai almost as much....Jay
ReplyDeleteSantana had possibly unmatched run of albums from the first through the sixth - one a year! And every one superb. Quality took a little dip with Amigos (could have been up there with the rest with a little less concern for sales), and thereafter we take what we can get, but those first SIX albums in SIX years - just unbelievable. Playing Abraxas right now, and it's as fresh as the day it was cut.
ReplyDeleteLove Devotion Surrender
ReplyDeleteBTW, I have this in CD!! This will be an upgrade to my e-files though. Many thanks!
Delete