Saturday, November 8, 2025

Joe Pass:Virtuoso (2025 24bit/192kHz Remaster)

 

'Joe Pass: Virtuoso' was released in December 1973, on Norman Granz's recently founded, Pablo label.  It was jazz guitarist Joe Pass' 10th album, and the first of three 'Virtuoso' recordingsThe album is widely considered his best, and a landmark of Jazz guitar.

The album was recorded on August 28, 1973, at MGM Recording Studios, in LosAngeles, CA, it was produced by Norman Granz, and the recording engineer was Val Valentin.

One track on 'Virtuoso' ("Here's That Rainy Day") sounds electric, while the rest sound of the songs sound acoustic, which was due to an amplifier malfunction.  Joe plays his Gibson ES-175 electric archtop guitar on all tracks. I've heard two stories regarding the malfunction, both from reliable sources.
  • One is that, Joe's Polytone amp amplifier stopped working, and rather than stopping the session, Norman Granz kept the tapes rolling, deciding to capture Joe's performance with only a microphone placed in front of his unamplified guitar.
  • Another version is that the amp and the guitar were separately miked, and the amplified track was lost, except for "Here's That Rainy Day" which was the first track recorded.
Regardless of whether the amp physically broke or the tracks were lost, the result was the same: the album showcases Joe's incredible skill and improvisational creativity in a stripped-down, acoustic-flavored setting that was not the initial intent.


Joe plays with the complexity of a pianist, making it sound like multiple guitars are being played at once.  Many times, I've played this album, for people unfamiliar with Joe, and they almost always ask, "Who's on the other guitar?".

'
Virtuoso' wasn’t just a breakthrough for Joe; it was a game-changer for jazz guitar as a whole.  Before its release, solo jazz guitar albums were rare, and those that did exist often leaned on classical influences or heavily arranged material.  Joe proved that a guitarist could improvise an entire album with the depth and spontaneity of a full band.  This album remains a touchstone for generations of guitarists. 

When released, ‘Virtuoso’ had a crisp and clean sound.  It’s one of those albums that makes you feel like you’re sitting in the room with the artist. Kevin Gray’s 2025 remaster, with 24-bit/192kHz sonics, only enhances this feeling.

For the freeload, tell us about the last thing that malfunctioned on you.

21 comments:

  1. "Here's That Rainy Day" was one of my late grandfather's favorite jazz standards. I wonder if he knew this version? He tended to favor pianists over guitarists.

    Many things malfunction with increasing frequency -- my brain, my car, my cellphone. The most recent was my garage door opener. It was a real inconvenience until the repairman came, especially when that rainy day came!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's coming up to summer and the pool filter-pump has decided to stop working - oh well it's only money (sigh)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My latest malfunction was my right hip. Went on strike about a month ago, but is beginning to return. Same thing happened a couple of years ago on the other side. O well, maybe the Tylenol will make me autistic & I won't notice/care?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be careful there, notBob. Yesterday, I got the COVID-19 and the flu vaccine (the over 65 one), and this morning I woke up nonverbal.

      Delete
    2. Shit! Got the same vacs & still sorta functioning... God speed to you... & all earthlings!

      Delete
    3. While in Pittsburgh for Halloween with granddaughter (& fam), got those vaccines too. Never had a flu vaccine before, figured it might be time this year. Please take steps to preserve your health folks. Thanks Babs

      Delete

  4. My Starlink satellite internet system just west south, and in all his magnanimity Elon sent me a free replacement dish and router. At $120 a month for the service, he'll soon recoup the cost. But trying to configure the new gear proved more than daunting. For a tech giant, Starlink's support is atrocious. After endless fiddling and consulting with Musk's chatbot, I turned to Google and YouTube and soon solved my problems.
    A fiber network is about to be commissioned in our part of mountainous Oregon, and I can barely wait to tell Elon to take his satellites and shove 'em where the sun don't shine.

    On a far more pleasant topic, the ES-175 has one of my favorite guitar tones. You can't drive them hard with an amp or they'll howl with feedback, but unlike their semi-acoustic cousins that have solid wood blocks in them to tamp down resonance,s the ES-175 sounds fantastic unplugged. I look forward to hearing the remaster and continue to be grateful for the ceaseless flow of cool sounds on offer here. Thanks, Babs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In August, I tried to start my dishwasher, all the lights came on at once, started flashing, and the "beep" that tells you when the dishes are clean would not stop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. pick one...what're ya gonna do? I'll skip the medical but how about our new car with 2500 miles having all the lights go on like an effin' Xmas tree...the gas cap wasn't on quite right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phantom Of The Rock OperaNovember 8, 2025 at 9:42 PM

    Putting aside the saga of my right hip and the various foul ups of the dysfunctioning money pit that is the 'pride' of the British political class, the National Health Service (my surgery has now been delayed at least another year, with the other hip to follow at least a year or more after that), I'm not sure if these were actually the 'last' things to malfunction but it feels like one of my external disk drives has been failing every month or so recently and currently I have something like 6 extra drives with maybe 30tb's of media files on them that have gone down this year. Whether they are lost forever is yet to be discovered as I've not had time to determine whether its the drive itself or the USB.controller that integrates it into drive casing that is the problem.

    Unfortunately I just haven't had time to get to them yet but I'm sure there are a lot of files on there that will prove difficult to replace (if I can ever identify exactly what I've lost). Still given how long I've now got to wait for my hip operation and the increasing impact its having on my mobility, I'm pretty confident time will soon become available as considering the pace at which my hip is now degenerating I won't be good for much other than sitting about tinkering with external disk drives and the like in the not too distant future. That is until the sawbones finally get around to fixing my hip.

    Things ain't great at the moment......and just in time for Christmas....

    PS But there again it might be any one of a handful of domestic electrical appliances that have bitten the dust (all from old age) this year but that's another story......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back up to the cloud. I use Livedrive, there are many others. It works.

      Delete
  8. Last and biggest malfunction:

    11/11/11 (Marriage)

    Wife went to Mexico three years ago...and she never came back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Friday night, the external DVD drive malfunctioned on the computer of the friend I'm staying with. New one ordered & arrived, and tonight we watched "Porco Rosso."
    D in California (but a different county than usual)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Damn hand held blender. It emulsified the soup, but added an ingredient to it - steel shrapnel from the blade. Well, dr did say we needed more iron in our diet.
    Pass' guitar work, especially on this lp, is just mind blowing. I bought the vinyl of this a couple of month ago, and its been on heavy rotation since.
    Similar listening experience with Pablo Sainz Villegas' Soul of Spanish Guitar. Thought it was overdubbed or a 2nd guitarist until I saw the video of the album being recorded. Saw him live about a month ago and just could not believe what my eyes were seeing - its not what he does with his fret hand. Its the strum hand and how he is able to play three separate passages with the thumb and couplets of two fingers. Having one of the largest pair of hands I've ever seen is a plus, but its still spellbinding. For the uninitiated, here's Pablo performing Recuerdos de la Alhambra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irFE7XdqTnQ&list=RDirFE7XdqTnQ&start_radio=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter refers to the hand held/immersion blender, as the "kitchen vibrator".

      Delete
  11. In May, my 30 year old kitchen sink was leaking into the cabinet below. I replaced it & the faucet and I added a reverse osmosis water purification system by myself. It took 2-1/2 days. Looks great, works great & no leaks. Thanks Babs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Link
    https://workupload.com/file/dh3N5ABa26N

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of my external drives with decades of music downloads (5 TB worth). Thank goodness I do fairly regular backups. Let this be another warning to everyone to back up their data!!!

    ReplyDelete