Tuesday, November 18, 2025

Chuck Berry - 'The Chess Years'



From signature guitar licks to easy-rolling rhythm to preoccupation with cars and girls to serving time, nobody's more rock 'n' roll than Chuck Berry.  His series of catchy, clever youth anthems inspired generations of rockers.

We all know the story of how he arrived at Chess Records as a blues guitarist, achieved a novelty hit with "Maybellene", and never looked back.  In fact, blues legend Willie Dixon was the primary bass player on his early recordings, and Berry incorporated a few blues songs and guitar instrumentals into each of his early LPs.

There has been some dispute about how much of his classic songbook was actually written by pianist Johnnie Johnson (left), who sued him in the 1980s.  Chuck has said, that if Johnnie Johnson really thought he'd been ripped off, he wouldn't have waited that long to do something about it, which seems reasonable.  That said, it does seem odd that most of his tunes are written in piano keys like F, C and B♭ rather than guitar keys like E, A or D…just sayin'.  Meanwhile, Chuck has sued John Lennon, The Beach Boys and three karaoke music distributors over copyright infringement.

Chuck hung around for forty years after his last significant composition, and often his admirers have performed his songs better than he did: both factors make it harder to appreciate how important he is.  His voice was decent enough, with remarkably crisp pronunciation though not too expressive, and he did have a tendency to repeat his guitar riffs.  But I don't judge him harshly for that, as pioneering artists tend to create their own clichés as they replace the clichés of the past.

Whenever rock and roll gets too pompous and serious for its own good, new bands return to Chuck's approach, like garage bands in the 60s, punk in the 70s, grunge in the 90s, but never do it with the same panache.

All that said, he wouldn't be anywhere without his cousin Marvin.  Right?


Today's freeload is a rare, long out of print, 9CD collection, that was released in 1991 on the Charly Records label as part of their RED BOX series.  I've previously done posts from 
the Charly Records RED BOX series, on Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Sonny Boy Williamson II, Elmore James, and John Lee Hooker.  If you freeloaded any of them, you know how much effort Charly Records put into the sound on their RED BOX series.  In fact, when I was ripping these CDs, I accidentally ripped them at 320 kbps/44100 Hz, instead of my usual FLAC.  When I listened to them, they sounded just fine (Charly remastered them hot and in your face), so I kept them at "320".

This set is all the Chuck Berry, you'll ever need [probably more than you'll ever need — Ed], it's all here.

For the freeload, what are your top 5 Chuck berry songs?


34 comments:

  1. In no particular order
    No Particular Place To Go
    Nadine

    Maybelline

    Memphis Tennessee

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just 5?

    Maybelline
    School Days
    Too Much Monkey Business
    No Money Down
    Roll Over Beethoven



    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, everyone, also in no particular order:
    Sweet Little Sixteen
    Carol
    Memphis Tennessee
    Little Queenie
    Around And Around
    Kind regards, Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. In no particular order
    Maybelline
    You Never Can Tell
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Roll Over Beethoven
    Little Queenie
    Promised Land
    No Particular Place to Go
    I'm sure (as always) there are other. Thanks Babs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, sorry, too many. Thanks Babs

      Delete
  5. Too much monkey business
    Maybeline,
    Johnny B Goode,
    Roll Over Beethoven,
    Memphis Tennessee

    ReplyDelete
  6. 5?
    Around and Around
    Promised Land
    Almost Grown
    You Never Can
    Down The Road Apiece


    ReplyDelete
  7. For me No. 1 is Right off Rampart Street )(still not listed above),
    then ...besides the goodies above...
    Havana Moon
    I love you (from the London Sessions)
    Route 66 (but the Stones played it better)
    Brown Eyed Handsome Man

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet little sixteen
    School days
    Memphis Tennessee
    Johnny B Goode
    Roll over Beethoven

    ReplyDelete
  9. Johnny B Goode
    Nadine (Is It You?)
    Back in the U.S.A.
    Roll Over Beethoven
    Promised Land

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nobody wants to name My Ding a Ling? It was his only #1 Billboard hit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS--Actually it was a cover song. What does that tell you about the music industry?

      Delete
    2. adding "Run, Rudolph, Run" but I prefer Keith Richards' version. Take care.

      Delete
    3. His hit version gets a lot of slag, but it's a perfect example of expert crowd-working and extremely engaging. And it's better than the original, which I quite like, too.
      My Chuck top 5 are Run Run Rudolph (tho Dave Edmunds' version smokes all others), Nadine, Memphis, You Never Can Tell, and Brown-Eyed Handsome Man.
      Babs, I have minor quibbles. I have way more Bo than Chuck, cuz Bo's rawness just kills me. I have more Elvis (all early) than Chuck, because Elvis' variety (relying on varying sources, trying differing approaches) grabs me (and those Sun Sessions are spine-chillingly electrifying). But Chuck's songwriting -- sooooo many crazy-good turns of phrase -- and singing have always struck me as off-the-charts great. and, save for the abovementioned Dave Edmunds cover and ELO's Roll Over Beethoven, I'd be hard-pressed to think of a Chuck cover I like better than the original.
      C in California

      Delete
  11. Havana Moon by far is my favorite. Everything else is a toss up after that.
    Back in the mid 80s, I made an annual trek to a conevntion in mid Jan at the Waldorf in Manhattan. One year, the Rock and Roll HOF induction ceremonies was held there at the same time, and we got to see many of rock's royalty throughout the hotel. One late night, I was standing at the elevator bank, and directly across from me was an obviously inebriated Chuck Berry. Chuck was only somewhat upright due to the presence of two stately blondes holding him erect. I looked at Chuck, flashed him a thumbs up sign while thanking him for his music. His semi coherent respose was "Its rock n roll baby!"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Johnny B Goode
    Promised Land
    No Particular Place to Go
    Roll Over Beethoven
    Memphis

    As told to me by an aging, washed up Swedish musician who made the Swedish Chef sound intelligible and who, as the Swedes would say, "hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död" (the wheel is spinning but the hamster is dead"): Berry showed up, demanded his money (cash), counted it, put it in his guitar case, told the "band"--a group of musicians that had been hastily pulled together to "follow me," went on stage and played as the "band" flailed around mostly failing to follow him for about 75 minutes, and left without a word to anyone. They kinda waited around and the drummer asked if they were gonna get paid. After some hemming and hawing each of them was given the equivalent of about 25USD and told they'd had the honor of playing with Chuck Berry. He was, this dude said, amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toward the end of his caareer, that was standard Berry - recruit local musicians to play with him, and try his best to not pay them. Sad, but he still was one of the godfathers of rnr (which, might be why its still customary for musicians to get screwed financially).

      Delete
    2. I know several of those musicians. One story goes, after a gig, Chuck would fine them for "mistakes", to the point where he owed them nothing. One rhythm section I know had threatened violence after a gig at B.B. King's club in Manhattan. Chuck paid up…

      Delete
    3. Yeah, its amazing what Berry got away with, for as long as he did, all the while keeping his international reputation in tact. No doubt he was an integral figure in the history of rock, but he also was not the most ethical either.

      Delete
    4. Hmm.... I don't know how Berry was viewed internationally, but I was very aware that he played with unrehearsed pick-up bands. Consequently, I never saw him as I didn't want to waste my hard-earned money on a performance that the artist didn't care about.

      Delete
  13. Phantom Of The Rock OperaNovember 18, 2025 at 10:49 PM

    Carol
    Johnny B Goode
    Rock N Roll Music
    No Particular Place To Go
    Roll Over Beethoven

    ReplyDelete
  14. Link
    https://workupload.com/file/66Js6u3BesL

    ReplyDelete
  15. Where to start...
    Brown-eyed Handsome Man
    Memphis Tennesee
    Let's Rock
    Havanna Moon
    Oh, What a Thrill

    ReplyDelete
  16. Special shoutout to Brown-eyed Handsome Man for getting banned on some deep south radio stations including BRLA...

    ReplyDelete
  17. 1. Do You Love Me?
    2. School Day
    3. Route 66
    4. I Will Not Let You Go
    5. You Can Never Tell

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't even... But I have to try...
    Let It Rock
    Memphis, TN
    Sweet Little Sixteen
    No Money Down
    Run, Rudolf, Run

    C in California mentioned the subject of covers of Berry. It is a rite of passage, I guess, to add one of his songs to a band's repertoire. That means there are a lot of mediocre covers, but there are also many excellent ones.
    I'll bet someone has made a blog post of Chuck Berry cover versions...
    D in California (who is going to search a bit...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. here's mine:
      https://jonderblog.blogspot.com/2021/12/hope-you-had-very-berry-christmas.html

      Delete
    2. I see you have Pianosaurus' cover of Memphis, rather than Johnny Rivers' excellent version. I used to have Groovy Neighborhood, but it went by the wayside over the decades.
      C in California

      Delete
  19. Here's what I found for "Chuck Berry covers" and while I recognized half the versions, I think others might enjoy looking this over:
    https://albumsthatshouldexist.blogspot.com/2019/11/various-artists-covered-chuck-berry_46.html
    D in California

    ReplyDelete
  20. Like a lot of the faithful, my day begins with a prayer: "Our Father, who art in St. Louis, blessed be thy name..."

    My band used to cover "Johnny B. Goode" and "Oh What A Thrill." We learned "Johnny B. Goode" on the fly at a biker bar down the Peninsula, when a guy named "Dirty Dick" insisted we play it. When you have a chopper with a coffin-shaped gas tank with swastikas we take your requests seriously.

    Fave songs? There's easily fifty Chuck Berry songs I could hear every day and still love 'em.

    You Can't Catch Me
    No Money Down
    Back In The USA
    It Wasn't Me
    Maybelline

    I love the poetry, the tongue-twistery lines like "I met a German girl in England was going to school in France and we danced in Mississippi at an Alpha Kappa dance."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A biker bar on the Peninsula!?!? Do tell.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, it's a lost world. This is pre-Silicon Valley, 1982-1983. We played a residency at some joint in San Carlos, one of those places where the address was the name, like the "1342 Club." I was over there a few years ago, it's all gone, the 1930s buildings are gone, it's Starbucks n' sushi n' boba tea joints now. The Peninsula wasn't as gritty as Oakland but back then the San Carlos - Redwood City area was more working class. If you want a real laugh, go check out what's happened in Dogpatch around the Hells Angels club house on Tennessee Street. 2 BR /1 BA apartment...$8,999/month.

      Delete