In 1965, musician, author, historian, and producer Samuel Charters enlisted nine of the Chicago’s finest blues artists to record a brief set each for a Vanguard Records sampler. This compilation aimed to showcase the distinctive electric sound of Chicago Blues. Artists like Otis Rush, Junior Wells, Buddy Guy, Willie Dixon, Jonny Young, Otis Spann, Johnny Shines and Big Walter Horton exemplified this unique style, which featured electric guitars, amplified harmonicas, a rhythm section, and often a piano. All of these artists are featured on the compilation.
The 'Chicago/The Blues/Today!' trilogy introduced countless listeners to the blues, helping to popularize the genre in the US, the UK, and beyond. These recordings also influenced a host of up-and-coming rock artists, including The Animals, Eric Clapton, The Yardbirds, The Rolling Stones, and later, The Allman Brothers Band. I guarantee that all of these artists have these three albums in their collections.
"It’s fair to assume that most blues-influenced artists had all three volumes in their respective collections, and the songs on them ended up in the repertoires of everyone from Jimi Hendrix…to Led Zeppelin…to Steppenwolf."If you're a Blues fan and don't have 'Chicago/The Blues/Today! Vols. 1, 2 & 3' [Shame on you - Ed], you should have this in your collection. If you already have them, the freeload is a reissue from 2021, on the Craft label and are Hi-Res 24bit/192kHz files, so they make for a serious upgrade. You've never heard them sound this good.
I rebought (had it on the original vinyl and also CD) Chicago/The Blues/Today! Vols. 1, 2 & 3 on Record Store Day 2021, which were limited edition of 1,800 copies on 180g vinyl. Included was a card with a link to download the Hi-Res 24bit/192kHz files.
Volume 1
The Junior Wells Chicago Blues Band
Junior Wells – harmonica, vocals
Buddy Guy – guitar
Jack Myers – bass
Fred Below – drums
01. "Help Me"
02. "It Hurts Me Too"
03. "Messin' with the Kid"
04. "Vietcong Blues""All Night Long"
J. B. Hutto and His Hawks
J. B. Hutto – guitar, vocals
Herman Hassell – bass
Frank Kirkland – drums
05. "Going Ahead"
06. "Please Help"
07. "Too Much Alcohol"
08. "Married Woman Blues"
09. "That's the Truth"
Otis Spann's South Side Piano
Otis Spann – piano, vocals
S. P. Leary – drums
10. "Marie"
11. "Burning Fire"
12. "S. P. Blues"
13. "Sometimes I Wonder"
14. "Spann's Stomp"
Volume 2
The Jimmy Cotton Blues Quartet
Jimmy Cotton – harmonica, vocals
James Madison – guitar
Otis Spann – piano
S. P. Leary – drums
01. "Cotton Crop Blues"
02. "The Blues Keep Falling"0
03. "Love Me or Leave"
04. "Rocket 88"
05. "West Helena Blues"
The Otis Rush Blues Band
Otis Rush – guitar, vocals
Robert "Sax" Crowder – alto saxophone
Luther Tucker – guitar
Roger Jones – bass
Willie Lion – drums
06. "Everything's Going to Turn Out Alright"
07. "It's a Mean Old World"
08. "I Can't Quit You Baby"
09. "Rock"
10. "It's My Own Fault"
Homesick James and His Dusters
Homesick James – guitar, vocals
Willie Dixon – bass
Frank Kirkland – drums
11. "Dust My Broom"
12. "Somebody Been Talkin'"
13. "Set a Date"
14 "So Mean to Me"
Volume 3
Johnny Young's South Side Blues Band
Johnny Young – guitar, mandolin, vocals
Walter Horton – harmonica
Hayes Ware – bass
Elga Edmonds – drums
01. "One More Time"
02. "Kid Man Blues"
03. "My Black Mare"
04. "Stealin' Back"
05. "I Got Mine In Time"
06. "Tighten Up on It"
The Johnny Shines Blues Band
Johnny Shines – guitar, vocals
Walter Horton – harmonica
Floyd Jones – bass
Frank Kirkland – drums
07. "Dynaflow Blues"
08. "Black Spider Blues"
09. "Layin' Down My Shoes and Clothes"
10. "If I Get Lucky"
Big Walter Horton's Blues Harp Band with Memphis Charlie
Walter Horton – harmonica
"Memphis" Charlie Musselwhite – harmonica
Johnny Shines – guitar
Floyd Jones – bass
Frank Kirkland – drums
11. "Rockin' My Boogie"
The Johnny Shines Blues Band
Johnny Shines – guitar, vocals
Walter Horton – harmonica
Floyd Jones – bass
Frank Kirkland – drums
12. "Mr. Boweevil"
13. "Hey, Hey"
For the freeload, name some artists/bands that you wish you saw live.





Buddy Bolden
ReplyDeleteDjango Reinhardt
Charlie Parker
Yea, that 3 for certain. I'd add Jobim, Beatles (but no one really saw them live when they were at their peak), and Bud Powell.
ReplyDeleteI would have liked to see one of their lunchtime shows at the Cavern Club.
DeleteFor certain, but I was thinking more in the era of Sgt Pepper and later, when touring was no longer part of their activities.
DeleteGood afternoon everyone, there are quite a few. Of course, the Beatles, the Mothers of Invention with Howard and Mark, Pink Floyd with Syd Barrett, and although it might make you chuckle: Elvis, the Rolling Stones with Mick Taylor, the Grandmothers, and many more. Kind regards, Mike
ReplyDeleteMozart was my first thought.
ReplyDeleteRon "Pigpen" McKernan
The band "duels" of Benny Goodman vs. Chick Webb
...and pretty much everyone that others have mentioned, now that I read your imaginative ideas!
D in California
Duke Ellington
ReplyDeleteBillie Holiday
Louis Armstrong
...and many more
James Brown and Pentangle (perhaps on the same bill?). The Grateful Dead (I saw The Jerry Garcia Band once). Neil Young solo (I've seen CSNY twice). The Who. Muddy Waters. The Beatles (the rooftop concert or The Cavern, please). I've been lucky enough to see a lot of good shows.
ReplyDeleteMy dad had these; per the other day, I didn't get them at first.
ReplyDeleteSo many, and yes to Babs' trio, Woody Guthrie, Pigpen era Dead, Brian Jones's Stones would be interesting, 1967 Beatles.
And in no particular order:
Billie Holiday for reelz
Marc Bolan
Janis Joplin
Jimi Hendrix
Charlie Parker
John Coltrane
Hank Williams
Patsy Cline
I saw Bolan and T Rex. Sound was horrible so my memory of them is a mixed bag, at best.
DeleteI'm working on a Brian Jones era post, when Denise "The Grease" and I saw The Stones at Carnegie Hall in 1964.
DeleteMy first rock show ever was the Stones in November 1965. Satisfaction was the current single. Sixty years ago today.
DeleteMy list is long, but to start Billie Holiday, Charlie Parker, Coltrane and on and on.
ReplyDeleteBut a side note. In 1965 when Chicago/The Blues/Today came out - Vol 1-3 my dad bought all at once and played them a few times at home. He was heavy into Dixieland at the time ( Trad now) and they sat until I took them to college with me in 1968. All had a huge influence on my love for the blues and the smart ones in the dorm had their brains expanded. This all led me to appreciate and seek out Butterfield, the Blues project and more during college. I still have the original vinyls in great condition and have digitals of all the subsequent volumes - titled Chicago the Blues Yesterday. Not as good as the original, but still some great stuff.
Oh yea, and I missed seeing Muddy.
“The blues has lasted because the blues is about reality. Life is blue. Life ends. Sorrow is certain. Pain can’t be avoided. The blues lays it out. But as you sing the blues, and as you listen to the blues, something happens to you. In the middle of songs that have some of the saddest stories ever told, you feel more alive than ever. That’s the strength of the blues. That’s the miracle—watching the blues chase the blues away.”
-----Little Jimmy Scott
Chicago The Blues Yesterday is an MP3 series available at the Blue Eye blog: https://jukegh.blogspot.com
DeleteIt's very good.
No particular order
ReplyDeleteBird
Billie Holiday
George Duke
Ruth Underwood
Allman Brothers w/Duane
Eric Dolphy
Led Zeppelin w/Bonzo
Clarence Gatemouth Brown
Bob Wills & The Texas Playboys
& many, many more
Thanks Babs
Honestly too many but Moon era Who & The Beatles in Hamburg top the list.
ReplyDeleteGeez, too many. We had tickets to see Brian Wilson, but he cancelled the concert due to medical issues.
ReplyDeleteIkeclanton
ReplyDeleteToo many, but Hendrix played my hometown 3 or 4 times and I always said next time I'll go...
ReplyDeleteBut my claim to fame wuz seeing the 1st "Vaudeville" Mothers concert with Flo & Eddie in San Antonio, June '70...
DeleteI was lucky to see quite a few musicians and bands at their peak, but I also missed a lot: John Coltrane, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Jefferson Airplane, CSNY (together - 1970 and 1974), Jimi Hendrix, Big Brother and the Holding Company (with Janis), Allman Brothers, Phil Lesh & Friends (with Ryan Adams and Joan Osborne), Old and in the Way, Tony Rice, Leonard Cohen, Pink Floyd (with Syd Barrett) and the Band. There are many more, but I really wish I had been to S.F. in the late 60s and early 70s to experience the ballroom music ...
ReplyDeleteAside from many of the historic artists mentioned above, I'd add:
ReplyDeleteRobert Johnson
T-Bone Walker
Sidney Bechet
Eric Dolphy with Booker Little
Peter Green (Fleetwood Mac era)
Dinah Washington
Sonny Boy Williamson II
JB Lenoir
The "5" Royales
Sam Cooke
The Five Blind Boys
Django Reinhardt
Arnett Cobb
The Basie Band - 50s/60s era
The Duke Ellington Orchestra
James Booker
Professor Longhair
For me its not so much the bands but events and locations for example I would have loved to go to 'The 14 Hour Technicolor Dream' at the Alexandra Palace in 1967 or hung out at the London Blues and Barrelhouse Club on Sundays in 1961 when Cyril Davies and Alexis Korner were holding their impromptu jam sessions and all and sundry who would later become famous passed through those doors (Mick Jagger, Rod Stewart, Keith Richard, Graham Bond, Ray Davies etcetc) or the Cavern club in 1962/63 as the beat boom exploded onto the scene. Seeing the Rolling Stones at the Eel Pie Island Hotel and the Yardbirds and the Who at the Marquee club in 1965 again would have been great.
ReplyDeleteBeyond that seeing Beck and Page play together in the Yardbirds and seeing Elvis in perform live in 1956 come to mind as does seeing James Brown in the mid sixties and of course I would have loved to have seen the Doors and Hendrix and at their height.
I'm sure there are locations in the States such as the FIllmore and CBGB's at their height that would have been equally fascinating to hang out at.
Oh and of course Floyd with Syd and Janis Joplin with Big Brother & The Holding Company
ReplyDeletePaganini
ReplyDeleteLiszt
Mozart
Duke Ellington with Blanton
Charlie Parker/Dizzy Gillespie
Mahalia Jackson
The Beatles (1963)
Albert Ayler
etc
etc
Ian Curtis
I have seen John Cage and Roscoe Mitchell and Gyorgi Ligeti
therefor I do not complain.
Link 1
ReplyDeletehttps://workupload.com/file/8xSr7edbsGD
Link 2
https://workupload.com/file/g4bhBc5vDmy
Link 3
https://workupload.com/file/EgLy7mCnpKH
Thanks Babs, looking forward to hearing these. Also shout out to Denise "The Grease" & the rest of the gang. I hope everyone is well. Thanks Babs
ReplyDeleteAlso, my wife got to see all the cool bands back in the day, once she was old enough to drive, she'd be the chauffer for all of her pals whilst they (of course) got wasted. Thanks Babs
Screamin' Jay Hawkins would sure be a hoot!
ReplyDeleteAnd Don Van Vliet of course...
Amália da Piedade Rebordão Rodrigues!
- Jon
Lemmy Kilmister - i already had a ticket for a concert in Switzerland that was cancelled.
ReplyDeleteThanks Babs. These sound fantastic! I realize, hearing them again, that they were source recordings in rotation & played frequently on KUNM Blues Night radio program airing every Wednesday night, back in the day. Thanks Babs
ReplyDeleteEnjoy, mumbles!
DeleteGenesis / Electric Light Orchestra / Kansas / Jacob Collier / Uffff so many more!
ReplyDeleteVarious / Jim Dickinson – Field Recordings - Delta Experimental Project Vol. 3
ReplyDeletehttps://www.discogs.com/release/2531718-Various-Jim-Dickinson-Field-Recordings-Delta-Experimental-Project-Vol-3
https://mega.nz/folder/zPIDQJzK#qRl_6QcHHlptdmNau5RW-w
Various – Delta Experimental Projects Compilation Vol 1 & 2 (1990)
Deletehttps://www.discogs.com/release/3165056-Various-Delta-Experimental-Projects-Compilation-Vol-1-2
https://mega.nz/folder/uPAhRYYR#5SKT4lKt3Vjhm7vxqzvvHQ