Saturday, April 20, 2024

The Kinks In Mono



'The Kinks In Mono' is a 10 CD box set from 2011, that was a UK only release, and now out of print.


The box itself is a recreation of a British made Dansette record player, that holds the CD digipaks and a beautiful 32-page hardcover book. The book (included in the freeload) has notes, rare photos, memorabilia, discographical information and more. This is one of the nicest box sets, I have ever seen, and I have seen quite a few.

This box includes The Kinks' first seven LPs

  • The Kinks
  • Kinda Kinks
  • Kontroversy
  • Face To Face
  • Something Else
  • Village Green Preservation Society
  • Arthur

Also included in the box is three extra CD's, the EP disc has 'Kinksize Session', 'Kinksize Hits', 'Kweyt Kinks', and 'Dedicated Kinks' while the final two discs contain various singles from around the world.


"ALL IN GLORIOUS MONO", is an understatement.  The audio remastered by Kevin Gray is ridiculously good, with clarity, presence and punch in spades.
Play it
LOUD!

For the freeload, tell us w
hat do you use to listen to music?



44 comments:

  1. PC, but through a nice amp and speakers (Cambridge/Eltax). I digitized everything 20+ years ago - needed the luxury of finding songs in seconds, rather than digging through boxes of CDs. Still have all my LPs/tapes/CDs and can't decide wether they're collectable or landfill....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phantom Of The Rock OperaApril 20, 2024 at 9:15 PM

      You can check on eBay and Discogs (https://www.discogs.com/) to get an idea of the current going rate for vinyl and CD. Just search on the particular artist and record. You don't often see tapes up for sale but some still put them up.

      Delete
  2. Phantom Of The Rock OperaApril 20, 2024 at 9:04 PM

    CD's and Youtube on any one a dozen or so TV's/ CD players / PC's / Laptops, vinyl using my old Van Der Molen deck or a newer ION digital decks and old cassette tape on an ION digital tape deck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had a big old Marantz receiver, a TEAC turntable, a Pioneer dual cassette recorder, with big ol' floor speakers but I had to give up my room for my step-son and granddaughter who needed her own room. I tore everything apart and stashed it away. Now I'm using a Kenwood receiver and Kenwood CD player with two car stereo speakers in the house. And a cd player in the car. I've gone downhill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While step son bought a house and is buying individual components for his listening pleasure. I guess I taught him something along the way.

      Delete
    2. That Marantz could break windows or knock this mobile home off it's supports. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

      Delete
  4. CDs, computer downloads, vinyl, and the occasional cassette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still have my JBL Century speakers that I rescued from a pawn shop in Lawton, Oklahoma during Spring Break 1973.

      Delete
    2. Back then, the JBLs were the gold standard.

      Delete
    3. I have an old pair that need to have a cupla drivers replaced, not sure if a local shop would do it correctly or if they need to be sent to JBL. Thoughts? Thanks Babs

      Delete
    4. Not sure. Mine are still in great shape except for the cube facings, which were destroyed by my cats over the years.

      Delete
    5. mumbles, use JBL for driver replacement.

      Delete
    6. Babs, JBL's and then there were the Klipschorns too.

      Delete
  5. My neighbor, the electronics wizard, would go to an electronic store and have them turn the speakers way low and be sure he could hear all the little nuance before he would buy the speakers. He wanted to know the sound was there not just the volume. He used to design sound systems for Bob Wills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He gave me a direct drive turntable. I need to hook that up again.

      Delete
  6. Strictly digital files (mp3 and FLAC) stored on a NAS that gets regular backups. Those files are accessible from various Raspberry Pi's, Chromecast Audios, Smart Speakers, tablets and phones.  I like having my complete library available throughout the estate.  I use standard amps and speakers in the great room, office/study, billiard room and the library.  Smart Speakers in each of the twelve bedrooms. Chromecast in the cabana and stables. Bluetooth for the Helipad were sound quality is less critical. The servants get their own earbuds for their phones so I don't have to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My ears, of course (rimshot). -Muzak McM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Digital on my Mac desktop, using a harman/kardon speaker.
    But I just posted about a vinyl only evening on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use many systems as I have a turntable and receiver for LPs; I can't recall the last time I listened to a cassette, but we still have two set up for dubbing. I use an old 80GB iPod that has to be powered at all times with a Bose clock radio, too. I digitized a lot of LPs and those are on the iPod.
    What transformed my sleep habits (for the better) was discovering that I could listen to an MP3 player with earbuds and fall asleep easily. I've used better and lesser quality earbuds, and the main plus to quality ones is that they take longer before the wires crap out (from being slept on and tugged by my turning over). So, I usually buy ones in the $15-20 range.
    The iPod used to be the go-to player, but with the battery crapping out, I found I could use a FiiO X1 player. It has an inferior software interface to the ancient iTunes on the iPod, but it'll do.
    The reason this was such a big deal is that I've woken up at night between my first sleep cycle and the later REM cycles. Sometimes, I couldn't get back to sleep fast, which would provoke anxiety and more insomnia. Now, if I listen to music for an hour after 3 a.m. ... it's not ideal, but I've done some really great listening at those times, and I'm almost never anxious as a result. This means I often don't stay awake, but rather drop back asleep and get plenty of REM sleep and dreaming done.
    That's good for health and peace-of-mind, so I"m very grateful for (finally) figuring all that out.
    D in California

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a Cambridge amp paired with one of their streamers that lets me listen to music at hi res rates through Tidal. Also have a Rega turntable that I use frequently for our ever expanding vinyl collection. Speakers are a pair of Elac UniFi. New apt has 20' tall ceilings so we are enjoying incredible sound these days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Babs, I read this and all past questions. People answer honestly. But I must ask Babs, are you working for the FBI and keeping files?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only files being kept are FLAC, by the freeloaders.

      Delete
  12. For convenience when pottering about the house, I mainly play mp3’s from a 20 year old iMac, through a decent hi-fi. Also Cd’s and vinyl (Rega deck), when I’m in the mood to really listen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I recently replaced an “ancient” Macintosh CD player with a new Arcam - CDS50 CD/SACD player.


    Luxman - L-505uXII integrated amplifier
    
Rega - Planar 1 Plus turntable
    Rega Planar 78 turntable (for my 78s)
    Bowers And Wilkins - 702 S3 speakers



    When I’m out walking (depending on weather conditions) between 5 and 8 miles a day, I use a Astell & Kern SE180 DAP, with Shure SE846 IEMs

    ReplyDelete
  14. At home, a computer I built (3rd one for home use & due to be replaced before too long), with onboard 24/96 out from motherboard to ALTO ZMX52 mixer to a pair of M-Audio BX8a (bi-amped) monitors at corners of desk. I also have a couple of portable am/fm radios for baseball & NPR.
    In car, assorted flash drives with usually lossless music, 400 watt, 10 speaker system.
    Walking, (almost the same range as Babs, mileage wise) iPhone with AirPods Pro 2. Thanks Babs

    ReplyDelete
  15. Boy, do music nerds ever love talking about their systems! Me, I play LPs, CDs, and digital files via a Yamaha AS801 integrated amp hooked up to MartinLogan 60Xti floorstanders. My files are uploaded to Plex and accessed mansion-wide via a series of Chromecast Audio dongles.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I also record music so digital files play from Mac to Antelope Audio interface to old, restored Marantz receiver to various near-field monitors. I use the Plex system to stream anywhere. I also have a separate vinyl setup with old Thorens turntable, Phase Linear preamp, Hafler amp to Tannoys.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I guess I am really old school:
    Denon pre amp/receiver
    Denon amp
    Denon turntable
    Denon CD player
    KEF speakers in one room
    Polk in another
    Polk outdoor speaker -front porch and back deck.
    Damn I am old

    ReplyDelete
  18. OK bare with me this could get tedious.

    Mono Singles (Kinks era) old Grarrd deck modified for schools use 1976 electrics tubes in mix. 45s only.
    Mono and Stereo LPs pre 1970 Toshiba Music Centre with heavyweight old original stylus plays the best the usually heavy stylus modified older lps.
    Post 1970 to present stereo LPs in good condition a Bang & Olufsen 7700 music centre mid 1980s with a MMC5 cartridge worth more than machine apparently...
    Reel to Rees Akai GX-4000D 1980s remod of 70s machine.
    Cassettes- Denon DRM 540 (recent replaced defunct twin cass Technics that died)
    CDs Marantz CD5400 (again recent job lot £50 with Cambridge tuner and Denon casssette machine)
    Digital flac/MP3 through old Roland UA30 DAC and Nad amplifier to my latest pride and joy Mordaunt Short mid 1970s speakers for bookshelf which bext thing ever listened to digital files on...
    At least I ain't got nerdy about it like some fellas...
    Oh and I went to same art college as Ray Davies....have a photo of him at art college pre Kinks if can share will..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is never surprising to learn a collector of different formats utilizes a highly focused and differentiated set-up.

      Delete
  19. https://youtu.be/SN1iH1-uENY?feature=shared

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't share pic so next bext thign Ray singing about it..ironically photo shows a woman dressed like Juliette Greco...fact v fiction

      Delete
  20. Ok for a short period only here the photo...https://shaunbelcher.com/writing/?p=3328

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh and I so not nerdy i actually write a blog about all this...https://trailerstar.co.uk/squirrel/

    ReplyDelete
  22. "OK Google play Pascal Comelade"
    "OK playing some random drivel on Youtube Music"

    ReplyDelete
  23. Links
    Mono One
    https://we.tl/t-nITt0QBVuF

    Mono Two
    https://we.tl/t-090ZRhXSw4

    ReplyDelete
  24. Was not aware of this box set. Thank you.

    My nerdy set-up:
    Marantz 6300 turntable
    Fisher 800-B tube receiver
    Wharfedale W90 speakers (sand-filled and weigh about 3500 lbs each)

    ReplyDelete
  25. An old McIntosh 6100 pre-amp which I use as an amp, a McIntosh MX130 pre-amp, Vandersteen 2Ce speakers, Rotel cd player and a JVC QL5 turntable -- all found used except for the Rotel. Many thanks for mono Kinks.

    ReplyDelete
  26. No physical media at all. iMac, using iTunes or Elmedia, played through cheap supermarket TV speakers, tweeters up on the wall, bass box directly behind the monitor (baffle blocked with socks). Sounds infinitely better than the Dansette I used to have, similar to the box set. Either that or through Musicolet on my phone and iPods. Music sounds swell.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm not an audiophile. I have three set-ups just because there is to be music in my studio, in my digital studio, and, in the living room. I have a Boston Acoustics tweeter-mid/subwoofer (at my feet) plugged into a Focuswrite I/O into an antique MacBook and channeling many gigabytes of digital music.

    Down in the studio I have a Bose tweeter-mid/subwoofer, Hitachi direct drive 48, a Kenwood 4030,
    and an antique Shure spike. Living Room: Fisher towers/Technics direct drive 33/Pioneer receiver. This set-up rarely gets played.

    The funny thing: I have a number of friends who have invested many thousands of dollars on "hi-fi" yet I like to needle them by reminding my collection of media will not be for them surpassable.

    The studio is so small that when I crank the volume it is like standing inside the speaker.

    ReplyDelete
  28. All digital files and mid-fi here -- I have a homebrew music server (LMS running on a RaspberryPi) connected to a Yamaha receiver and Bowers & Wilkinson speakers (DM602 S3) in our main room.

    I use FooBar on my PC which indexes all the music on the raspberryPi as well as the external drive with all the new music waiting to be processed. The PC is connected to a nice headphone DAC/Amp/Equalizer stack and Focal Elex headphones. Setting up an old Harmon Kardon receiver and RSL speakers in our spare room (office/studio) which I can also stream to from FooBar when I don't want to wear headphones. [anyone living in Southern CA during the 80s probably remembers those RSL factory direct speaker ads?]

    ReplyDelete
  29. Audioengine HD4 on my computer, via MusicBee

    ReplyDelete