Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Fats Navarro & Tadd Dameron - 'The Complete Blue Note And Capitol Recordings'

 

The Complete Blue Note and Capitol Recordings consists of 23 songs and 13 alternate takes, featuring the great trumpeter Fats Navarro in peak form with three groups headed by pianist/arranger Tadd Dameron, in trumpet battles with one of his major influences, Howard McGhee, and on a remarkable all-star quintet with pianist Bud Powell and the young tenor Sonny Rollins; among the other sidemen are altoist Ernie Henry; tenors Charlie Rouse, Allen Eager, Wardell Gray, and Dexter Gordon; and vibraphonist Milt Jackson.  In addition to such gems as "Our Delight," "Lady Bird," "Double Talk," "Bouncing With Bud," "Dance of the Infidels," and "52nd Street Theme," Fats is heard with the 1948 Benny Goodman septet ("Stealin' Apples") and Dameron leads a group with the 22-year-old Miles Davis. 

This double CD has more than its share of essential music that belongs in all jazz collections.

CD1
  1. Tadd Dameron / Fats Navarro - 'The Chase' (Alt. Take)
  2. Tadd Dameron / Fats Navarro - 'The Chase'
  3. Tadd Dameron / Fats Navarro - 'The Squirrel' (Alt. Take)
  4. Tadd Dameron / Fats Navarro - 'The Squirrel'
  5. Tadd Dameron / Fats Navarro - 'Our Delight' (Alt. Take)
  6. Tadd Dameron / Fats Navarro - 'Our Delight'
  7. Tadd Dameron / Fats Navarro  - 'Dameronia' (Alt. Take)
  8. Tadd Dameron / Fats Navarro - 'Dameronia'
  9. Tadd Dameron / Fats Navarro - 'Jahbero' (Alt. Take)
  10. Tadd Dameron / Fats Navarro - 'Jahbero'
  11. Tadd Dameron / Fats Navarro - Lady Bird
  12. Tadd Dameron / Fats Navarro - 'Lady Bird' (Alt. Take)
  13. Tadd Dameron / Fats Navarro - 'Symphonette'
  14. Tadd Dameron / Fats Navarro - 'Symphonette' (Alt. Take)
  15. Tadd Dameron / Fats Navarro - 'I Think I'll Go Away'
  16. Tadd Dameron / Fats Navarro - 'Sid's Delight'
  17. Tadd Dameron / Fats Navarro - 'Casbah'
  18. Tadd Dameron / Miles Davis - 'John's Delight'
  19. Tadd Dameron / Miles Davis - 'What's New'
  20. Tadd Dameron / Miles Davis - 'Heaven's Doors Are Wide Open'
  21. Tadd Dameron / Miles Davis - 'Focus'
CD2
  1. Howard McGhee-Fats Navarro Sextet - 'The Skunk' (LP Vers.)
  2. Howard McGhee-Fats Navarro Sextet - 'Boperation'
  3. Howard McGhee-Fats Navarro Sextet - 'Boperation' (Alt. Take)
  4. Howard McGhee-Fats Navarro Sextet - 'The Skunk' (78 Vers.)
  5. Howard McGhee-Fats Navarro Sextet - 'Double Talk'
  6. Howard McGhee-Fats Navarro Sextet - 'Double Talk' (Alt. Take)
  7. Bud Powell / Fats Navarro - 'Bouncing With Bud' (Alt. #1)
  8. Bud Powell / Fats Navarro - 'Bouncing With Bud' (Alt. #2)
  9. Bud Powell / Fats Navarro - 'Bouncing With Bud'
  10. Bud Powell / Fats Navarro - 'Wail' (Alt. Take)
  11. Bud Powell / Fats Navarro - Wail'
  12. Bud Powell / Fats Navarro - 'Dance Of The Infidels' (Alt. Take)
  13. Bud Powell / Fats Navarro - 'Dance Of The Infidels'
  14. Bud Powell / Fats Navarro - '52nd Street Theme'
  15. Benny Goodman / Fats Navarro - 'Stealin' Apples'
 For the freeload, tell us what nickname you have or had, if you didn't have a nickname, tell of us what your favorite one is.

21 comments:

  1. I have terrible handwriting. When I as a freshman, we had an intern in English, and she was handing back papers and couldn't read my name correctly, and said, "Bremble? Is there a Pat Bremble?" The class all laughed, because they all knew that she meant me. It's stuck since then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been bear since I was a cub. mumbles is more of an alias, it came from an internet gangster name generator many years ago. Thanks Babs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here ya go mumbles.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYzjw5QKrxI

      Delete
    2. Wasn't 'Mumbles' also a Dick Tracy villian?

      Delete
    3. SteVe - Perfect thanks, like listening in a mirror! Babs - regarding Mumbles as a villain in Dick Tracy, yes indeed. I believe that the cinema character was portrayed beautifully by Dustin Hoffman.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr5pVR6TYbQ

      Delete
  3. Phantom Of The Rock OperaApril 16, 2024 at 8:14 PM

    No nicknames as such although one former colleague used to call me by one of my middle names even though I wasn't keen on it but it didn't bother me. Just don't call me 'Phannie'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Back in grammar school my older brother was nicknamed Amoeba.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damit...Come here, damit, stop that damit! Didn't know I had a real named til i wuz in skool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Up until about the age of 5 or 6, I thought my older brother's name was Jesus Christ.

      Delete
  6. For as long as I can remember, it's been Babs, which is a common nickname for Barbara.
    I've also been called at various points, and by different people 'Babs Bunny', 'Barb' and 'Bee'

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know for a while mustaches got in the way of tea drinking, but did they ever get in the way while playing trumpet?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1QXsRDzj4g

    ReplyDelete
  8. Used to be referred to as "Lil Mac" by relatives, since my father was "Big Mac" -nicknames started before Mickey Ds and ironically I've been larger than my father since hs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never had a nickname that stuck. Because of my last name a friend used to call me Crown and Queenie. Had a friend we called Jew or Pixie. He has since become a teacher in Texas. He says to his students, you can call me Richard, you can call me Rich, just don't call me Dick.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, for many years I went by JoeMikePetePat

    ReplyDelete
  11. Link
    https://we.tl/t-0OMojK6eyT

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here's some broadcast Tadd & Fats - Roost 1948
    sadly only vol 1

    https://we.tl/t-NSAP5J39eE

    ReplyDelete
  13. For reasons too complicated to go into here, for a time I was Hawaii Bob (though I'm neither from Hawaii nor named Bob/Robert), and then for a short time Hawaii "Voot Voot" Bob. I tried to promote the nickname Your Highness but it didn't take. --Muzak McMusics

    ReplyDelete
  14. For a time I was known as Altadena Slim in a short-lived blues band, the nickname being a tribute to the many "Slims", "Fats" "Bigs" "Littles" and so on that I idolized.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Babs for the Blue Note material and Dave for the air checks.

    ReplyDelete