Tuesday, April 2, 2024

The Doors - 'Infinite' (SACD Box Set)

 


In 1970, I was living in Boston, Massachusetts, and working on my PhD in
Itô calculus at M. I. T., and Jerry (my future husband) was working on his PhD in Applied Physics at Wellesley College.  Jerry and I were living together, which in 1970 was considered quite provocative.

One early March afternoon in the Stratton Student Center of M. I. T., I was thumbing through ‘Boston After Dark’, which was a weekly entertainment newspaper, and saw an advertisement for a Doors concert at the Boston Arena on April 10th.  Jerry and I saw The Doors the previous July at the Aquarius Theater in Hollywood, CA, and it was quite a show.  So I hurried to the Boston Sears Roebuck, where they had a Ticketron (a computerized event ticketing company) outlet.  At Sears, I scored two $6.50 tickets for the late show, which cost $14.30 with the 10% Ticketron fee.  Opening my purse, I realized that I had a ten and threes single dollars bills, I managed to find four quarters, but I was still 30 cents short!  Deep in a corner of my bag, I found two dimes, but I was still ten cents short.  A very strait-laced looking guy in a three-piece polyester suit behind me, who was there to get circus tickets for his family, gave me the extra 10 cents.

Later that day, Jerry came home and proclaimed “I scored two Doors tickets!” to which I replied “Me too, early or late show?” “Early show” said Jerry, I replied, “I’ve got late show tickets” We laughed, and Jerry said “It looks like we’re seeing the Doors twice!”

The day of the show

Neither Jerry nor myself had classes on Friday afternoons, so we went to see our “connection” Larry, a.k.a. “Lucky Larry” who played trombone, and was attending Berklee College of Music.  Larry was a fellow Brooklynite, and a friend of a friend.  He had hair that went halfway down his back, a long beard and always looked completely disheveled.  Larry wore a huge belt buckle that had “LUCKY 13” engraved on it.  He lived in a turn of the century tenement building that had a bathtub in the kitchen of his apartment.  We bought an ounce of Oaxacan buds, two Thai Sticks (Thai buds on bamboo sticks, and tied with hemp string), and four “hits” of “Clearlight Windowpane” acid, which was LSD on a very small triangular shaped piece of red gelatin.  Larry would go on to become an in-demand session musician, toured with Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett, and played on countless television and radio commercials.  In 2024, Larry and I, are still in contact.

We left Larry’s, and went back to our apartment, smoked a joint, and had a bite to eat.  After we ate, while rolling joints for the show, we toyed with the idea of doing two hits of windowpane each.  We dropped a hit a windowpane, and as we were ready to leave, Jerry said “C’mon Babs, let's do the other hits!” I agreed, we ate the other two hits, and we headed for the bus stop.  On the bus, and halfway to the Boston Arena, we had an “acid shiver” and we were “off to the races” so to speak.

When we arrived at the arena, there was a carnival atmosphere of people selling tee shirts, rolling papers and pipes, weed, acid, uppers and downers - you name it.  We went inside, found our seats, smoked a joint and waited for the show to start.  The lights went down, and a band called “Axis”, an uninspiring blues trio, were introduced.  Next up was folk singer Gordon Lowe, who played solo with an acoustic guitar.  We couldn’t hear Gordon over all the heckling and booing, the poor man received.  Forty-five minutes later, the Doors came on stage to cameras flashing and the entire audience on its feet letting a roar.  Jim Morrison was clearly drunk, but in a jovial mood, and the early show was very cool.

After the early show, we were ushered outside, where it was pouring with rain.  We found a dry area under some scaffolding, smoked a joint and giggled in delight at our acid induced euphoria.  Jerry said he was thirsty, and asked if I was too, and told me “Wait here Babs, and I’ll run across the street, to the store”.  While Jerry was gone, two girls who were drinking beer a few yards away from us started screaming at each other; the next thing I knew, one hit the other one in the head with a beer bottle, and ran away!  People nearby thought that I hit her, and started shouting “That's not cool, why did you do that?” at me.  The girl who was hit, got up on her feet and told them “It wasn’t her” and then she took off with her head bleeding.  By now I was more than freaked out, I lit a cigarette, and noticed two cops getting out of their patrol car, and people pointing in my direction.  Both cops started walking quickly straight towards me, my heart starting pounding and my hands started shaking thinking they thought I did it.  One cop put his hand on my arm and said, “Excuse me, young lady” as they both hurried pass me.  A sense of relief came over me, and I started laughing and couldn’t stop.  Jerry came into view with two bottles of orange juice in his hand.  As we drank the juice, I related to Jerry what just happened, causing him to laugh and pass orange juice through his nose.  By now, it was time to go back inside the arena for the late show.
 
For the late show, scheduled to start at 10PM, we had better seats that were ten rows back from the stage.  It wasn’t until midnight before the Doors hit the stage again.  By midnight, Jim Morrison was an inebriated mess, but managed to keep it together. I remember Jerry commenting, "Jim should stick to pot and acid."  At 2AM due to Boston’s curfew laws, the power to the stage was cut except for Jim’s microphone, which was powered by a separate P.A.  Realizing he had a live mic, Jim quickly used it to rant and curse.  Ray Manzarek grabbed Jim and pulled him offstage, but lost his grip once the two reached the wings.  Running back to the mic, Jim told the crowd, screaming: "We all should get together and have some fun, because the assholes are gonna win if we let them".  The promoter, not wanting a riot on his hands, decided it was best to let the Doors perform one more song. The band came out with Manzarek on guitar and Robby Krieger on bass and did an early rendition of "Been Down So Long," which would appear on the ‘L.A. Woman’ album the following year.

After the show, there were no more buses running, and we couldn’t find a cab, so we walked the few miles home, singing Doors songs, still tripping our brains out.



Today's freeload is The Door's 'Infinite', a 6 SACD box set of their studio albums:
  • The Doors
  • Strange Days
  • Waiting For The Sun
  • The Soft Parade
  • Morrison Hotel
  • L.A. Woman 
The albums were remastered from the original analog source tapes by Doug Sax and original Doors engineer Bruce Botnick.  High frequencies, low frequencies, and those in between--they're all here, and make it seem as if the Doors are playing in six feet away from you.  This is the definitive digital audiophile edition.
 
 For the freeload, tell us about a concert you attended, that turned into a fiasco.

29 comments:

  1. Wings Over America Tour May 1976 - Houston, Summit Arena.
    This was 3 years before The Who concert tragedy in Cincinnati.
    The Wings show was in an indoor arena seating 18,000 and was General Admission. The friend who attended with me was a big guy so I thought we would have no trouble navigating the General Admission situation. Boy was I wrong. Not only did we not get good seats - I felt VERY fortunate to get to ANY seat ALIVE - we ended up in the "nosebleeds". It was an absolute shit show. Only when I heard about The Who concert attendee deaths 3 years later did it really hit me how fortunate we were not getting hurt/killed.. Never attended another General Admission show anywhere irrespective of the size of the venue. Just not worth the risk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never liked general admission shows, either.
      
In the summer of 1972, I saw The Beach Boys headline a show with The Kinks and Looking Glass as opening acts. The show took place at Roosevelt Stadium, which was built for minor league baseball in Jersey City, New Jersey. When the gates opened, the rush to get close to the stage was freaking ridiculous, and a few people were hurt.

      Delete
  2. No he ido a ningun concierto.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Mañana se publicará un enlace. ¿Mi español está bien?

      Delete
  4. It must have been in the 80s, John Cale live in Paradiso, Amsterdam with Susanne Vega as warm-up act. Vega at that time was completely unknown to us so my friends and I decided to have a beer instead, big mistake... Finally we went to Paradiso and as soon as I entered the hall a massive toothache started... My friends thought it was a great show, classic Cale, but I was completely unable to concentrate on the concert!

    ReplyDelete
  5. June 30, 2020, Bob Dylan at the Brandon Amphitheatre, Brandon, Mississippi (just outside Jackson). I had terrific seats, first row over the orchestra pit. Tour cancelled due to COVID-19.

    On the upside, I've seen Dylan 3 times since, most recently at the historic Saenger Theatre in New Orleans last night. It was a wonderful show & included a one-off performance of Hank Williams' "The Banks of the Old Pontchartrain" done as a piano fiddle duet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1978(?) Alvin Lee. A fistfight broke out in front of us before he took the stage. Some guy got tossed a couple rows back. Everything settled down and Alvin did his set. At the end of which Mr. Lee announced that "I'm going home." The whole auditorium rushed down to the front of the stage and we were crowded out of our seats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never been to a fiasco but I've been to a gig where half the backing band where almost ready to pack up and walk off stage. I went to see Dylan play at the Birmingham Arena in the late 1980's and it was obvious after the 2nd guitar solo that he was improvising and not following what had been rehearsed. This left his backing band guessing when to come in and several times they started and as Dylan continued his solo went across them they stopped again . He did it again and again and again and by the end of the show his backing band (who presumably were made up of musicians not necessarily familiar with his foibles) seemed ready just to down tools and walk off stage. Certainly the gestures between the bassist and rhythm guitarist suggested that.

    Beyond that I saw Kevin Rowland (Dexy's Midnight Runners) during his abortive comeback at the Reading Festival in the 90's. Now Rowland had always found it difficult to stay in tune even back in 1980 (I saw him on the 'Geno' tour) but when he came back in the 90's he seemed totally tone deaf and was jeered off stage at Reading. It was awful and rather sad but he was only a minor support act by then so it didn't matter that much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1977(?) Country Joe and the Fish reunion. At the Golden Bear in Huntington Beach. I drove from the San Bernardino mountains where I lived and worked, to a girlfriend's house in Santa Monica. When I realized she did not want to go to the show I began the drive, alone, to Huntington Beach. How long could it take. Just down the highway. Seams like an hour later I pulled into the Golden Bear and they were no longer selling tickets. It's a small club, the blinds in the window were closed. ( I saw Spirit there several times). The security guard came around the side of the building and saw me peering through the blinds. I told him how far I'd come. He asked if I wanted to see the show and he let me in a side door right in front of the stage. But Country Joe was not there but I could here his harmonica. A girl standing on a trunk stepped down and opened the trunk and out popped Country Joe. I got to see the whole show for free. Good people, the security guard, and good times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The 1970 Led Zep shows at the Inglewood Forum were a fiasco from start to finish. Improbably, the promoters hadn't considered the logistics of getting the early show crowd out before letting the late show ticket holders in, leading to a clusterfuck of mammoth proportions. LZ hit the stage about three hours late and delivered an okay show. But the real conundrum was finding my VW Beetle afterwards. The Forum is a wedding cake-like round structure that looks exactly the same from all points of the compass. Upon parking while tripping balls on some Orange Sunshine, we failed to note what section we were leaving the bug in. In the end we were obliged to wait for the immense parking lot to be drained of cars until we finally spotted the VW, standing all alone, forlornly waiting to carry us homeward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. apauling, I've been through similar. Waiting for the parking lot to empty. A round shopping mall with movie theaters, Also been to Dead shows and had to wait for all the Green Peace stickers to get in line with engines idling, before I started my car and left. I feel your pain at the the time.

      Delete
  10. and then there was 1975 Brownsville Station>Peter Frampton>Lynyrd Skynyrd>Black Sabbath. I think it cost $6.50. General admission.
    Outdoors at the Orange Show Stadium in San Bernardino. About 60 miles from home. My friend left his and his girlfriends tickets at home and had to buy tickets again. Everything was then going great until the break between Skynyrd and Sabbath when the great garbage war started. I think it made the newspapers. Garbage and bottles flying filled the open area and bottles were hitting the speaker towers and scaffold where people had climbed.... and then there was the time I thought I could hitchhike down to Long Beach to see Iron Butterfly, Steppenwolf and Spirit.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two stand out. All day festival for the opening of the Superdome in New Orleans (1975) headlined by The Allmans and Willie Nelson, with several other acts. All went fine until the closing set by the Allmans. About a 2 hour delay between Nelson's set and the Allmans and when the band took the stage they were horrible. After two turgid songs they announce they are taking a break. One hour later (and with most of the crowd gone), they return with Dickie Betts sporting a swollen eye and with Greg Allman's hand bloodied and bandaged. Their set didn't get any better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Other "memorable" show was Fleetwood Mac at the Warehouse in NO (1974?). FM was going through constant personnel changes at the time, but when the band took the stage, something was noticably off, given the drummer's small stature and rotund waistline, if nothing else. Band was very bad and played mostly blues standards. Few days later the news hit that the "real" FM had lost rights to its name to a manager who had then assembled a separate group to tour under the FM banner.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The nearest thing to a fiasco was attending the Reading Festival (UK) in the 80’s, on my first one in 1983 Steel Pulse were bottled off stage, but otherwise a very great festival. A few years later the audience decided most bands deserved to be bottled off stage, these idiots would fill 1 or 2 litre bottles with piss before throwing, you can read a writeup (and see pictures of the mayhem) on why I stopped going to Reading Festival after the 1988 festival here:
    https://www.ukrockfestivals.com/reading-88.html

    Also as a kid I loved Motörhead and saw them many times, they were always loud, but one show at Poole Arts Centre, England in the early 80’s the sound was so distorted I couldn’t differentiate between the songs and left the theatre and went home.

    Also I was persuaded to go to see Kiss in 1983, not a fiasco, just utterly, tragically bad.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Went to an outdoor festival near Austin c1977. Saw Firefall, The Band, Chicago, Steve Miller And listened to Fleetwood Mac as we hiked back to the car cuz we were barbecued in the Texas heat all day long and had enough "fun". Some guy was trying to sell his warm leftover beer for $5 a can...But the music was great!
    -notBob

    ReplyDelete
  15. Doors 1
    https://we.tl/t-CzcFrbDyum

    Doors 2
    https://we.tl/t-ZWm7WqNqjd

    Doors 3
    https://we.tl/t-jHaU2Rd03U

    ReplyDelete
  16. Two brief accounts of fiasco/almost fiasco shows. One was The Replacements, very drunk, decided it would be funny to play a set on each other's instruments. Yeah. No. The other could have been a fiasco but I g ot out of there in time to save life and limb, The Pogues in a club on St. P's Day in Boston. You can picture the rest . . . --Muzak McMusics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the Replacements three times (once with Bob, once with Slim, and once during the reunion tour). None of the shows were the drunken fiasco that the Mats were notorious for, but I did embarrass myself by bending Tommy's ear before the first show when he was clearly uninterested in my fanboy questions. On the other hand, he WAS interested in my girlfriend...

      Delete
  17. Went to see the Grateful Dead at Winterland in San Francisco in May, 1971. I was 17, a high school junior, and went with two other fellow high schoolers.

    The Grateful Dead provided large 55 gallon plastic garbage cans at the front of the stage, full of Electric Kool-Aid. The friend who drove us there proceeded to drink a full SOLO cup of it and was hallucinating shortly thereafter. The show was great fun and when it let out around 2AM, the streets around Winterland were full of hallucinating fans just floating out in the middle of the road. The police came to restore order and we ended up at our friend's car.

    Since our friend was still hallucinating, my other friend took his car keys and started driving us home. Since none of us were of sound mind, we decided to drive back home by way of Highway 1 and the coast. We got as far as Playland-at-the-Beach in SF when the clutch cable on the VW Bug snapped.

    There we were, three 17 year olds, many decades before cell phones, stranded in the dark by the ocean at 2:30 in the morning. We walked until we found a pay phone and called the parents of the hallucinating kid to come and get us. When they finally arrived, we kept insisting to his parents that he was really tired and were discretely trying to keep him from babbling in the back seat.

    Turns out that some people have referred to that show as the last Acid Test.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My wife had been a big fan of Terry Reid in the early 70s and I got to like him from her records when I met her in the early 80s. Roll on to the early 2000s, he had long been ensconced in obscurity in the US having turned down the job as Led Zep singer and recommending an unkown Brummie for the job.

    So it was a great surprise to find him playing a small gig in our local town of Newcastle upon Tyne. Now, judging by his accent,I had always assumed him to be from the Sarf of England, but apparently not. He was born in the North but moved down south early on.

    Consequently he had a lot of relatives in County Durham (the north) that he hadn't seen for many years. So after spending a well oiled reunion with them he staggered on stage barely able to stand never mind sing or play his guitar...... and yet... his magic somehow shone threw and a young lad clearing up after the gig was asking us who he was as he clearly still had something about him.

    I didn't regret seeing him. (Apologies but I think I might have told that tale before!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. No real fiascos but I saw Zappa and the Mothers in early 1975 at a mid-size theater in Boston (the Orpheum) when he had Napoleon Murphy Brock as his lead singer. He was out front singing when a klieg light came loose from the scaffold above and dropped like the proverbial stone, landing (no exaggeration) five feet or less from where he was standing. The show stopped, Ruth Underwood was freaking and Zappa showed mild concern. The show resumed in short order, but it's worth noting that Curtis Mayfield was paralyzed for life in a nearly identical occurrence.

    ReplyDelete
  20. No concert disasters, but I've had my truck busted into two times while attending shows (Great American Music Hall? Slim's? Bottom Of The Hill?) in San Fran to see bands I love (Swell? Dandy Warhols? Les Thugs? Morphine?) in the '90s.
    I did get locked into Pere Lachaise cemetery as a 16-year-old in the '70s when I went to see Jim Morrison's grave, having not paid attention to the signs stating the place's closing time (I'd never heard of a cemetery that closed for the night). It took an hour or two to get out, but I did eventually.
    C in California

    ReplyDelete
  21. I attended The Mosquito Dam Jam which was a huge outdoor festival at a Fairgrounds Raceway near Cleveland, Ohio in August 1976. I was 16 and we camped out the night prior to the show. Overall, the festival was a fun day with the bands including: Starz, REO Speedwagon, Bob Seger, and at least one other band that I can't remember. We made our way to the front of the stage.

    Right about sundown, there was thunder, lightning and crazy rain. The fields became mud and there was no shelter. The J. Geils Band set was supposed to start. They came out on stage and just stood there. Then they walked off stage and a few minutes later, an announcement was made that they refused to play.

    The crowd went from ecstatic to booing and started throwing bottles, rocks, mud, food or whatever they could find. Bottles were hitting the stage lights and instruments. People around us started dropping to the ground from being hit with bottles (bottles were still glass in 1976). People started fighting.

    About and hour later, Blue Oyster Cult set up their equipment and finished the evening. Lightning and Lasers together, it was awesome.

    When we finally made it home, my parents were freaked as this was announced on the radio and the TV evening news as a riot with several people being stabbed and others hospitalized due to injuries and drugs. They thought I was one of them.

    I was grounded and unable to attend the Nelson Ledges Freedom Concert the following weekend. That featured Steve Miller, J. Geils, Elvin Bishop, ELO, Heart, Roy Buchanan and Widow Maker on Labor Day Weekend! A buddy was happy that I gave him my ticket to that show.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fiasco. Such a great word, (origin:something like a bottle.) I have no idea how it came to signify a humiliating failure.

    For sure such failures cut both ways. . . .probably shouldn't have sucked on an opiated grass blunt at a Jackson Browne concert in Burlington Vermont in the seventies. Another Vermont show memorably missed the target, The Band at The Champlain Valley Fairgrounds, 1976. Shambolic.

    Alas pride of place goes to Gram Parsons, Smiling Dog Saloon, Cleveland, in 1973. GP was drunk and mixed up. EmmyLou did her best but it was a rose amidst chaos.

    Afterward my friend (and musical mentor) Jamie went backstage to meet his hero while I demurred and sat quietly terribly sad.

    ReplyDelete