Wednesday, April 17, 2024

The Eddie Cochran Box Set: A Complete History In Words And Music

 

The first song I can remember, that I knew all the lyrics to, and wasn’t a children’s song, was Eddie Cochran’s ‘Twenty Flight Rock’.  It was 1957, I was ten years old, and my older brother had the 45 single.  He’d play it for me on the record player in his room, where I’d stand on his bed and sing along, and when the refrain of "One flight, two flight, three flight, four/five, six, seven flight, eight flight, more" started, I’d run in place, like I was running up flights of stairs, my brother would cheer me on saying, “Go Babs, go!” and for my grand finale, I’d do a backflip, with my feet landing on the mattress.

One fateful day, I did the backflip a little too hard, and my feet came down on the side of the bed, causing me to fall backwards, I put my hand out to break my fall, and ended up with a sprained wrist and a dislocated pinky.  A few minutes, and a lot of tears later, I ended up at The Brooklyn Hospital Center in downtown Brooklyn.  At the hospital after my hand was x-rayed, the Doctor said to me, “Your Father told us you were roughhousing with your older brother, is that right?” I shook my head no, and the Doctor asked me, “What really happened, it’s OK, you can tell me. Don’t be afraid.”  I told him about singing ‘Twenty Flight Rock’, running in place and the backflip. The Doctor smiled and said, “I don’t know that song, would you sing it for me?”  So I sang it for him; he and the nurse who was assisting him started laughing, with the nurse clapping along.  When I finished the song, the doctor who was holding my hand, without warning, quickly and unceremoniously popped my pinky back into place. When the nurse took me to the waiting room, she told my parents, "You have the next Connie Francis, here."

Eddie Cochran was one of the first great stars of Rock n' Roll and an artist whose influence would far outstrip his brief career, which was cut short when he died in an auto accident in 1960.  Cochran would often be cited as one of the pioneers of rockabilly, but his style was more muscular and less twangy than those of his peers, adding a bluesy accent to the music that meshed comfortably with his country-influenced melodies.  There is also evidence that Cochran had wanted to explore the American folk tradition - listen to tracks like "The Boll Weevil" and "Cut Across Shorty".

Eddie was also an impressive guitar player and a songwriter young enough to understand the teenage mindset and its fascination with cars, girls, and good times, but he was also talented enough to bring his stories to life and marry them to energetic, catchy melodies.  Songs like "Summertime Blues," "C'mon Everybody," "Somethin' Else," "Nervous Breakdown," and "Weekend" would live on in covers decades after Eddie died, and his influence would be felt in artists as diverse as Bobby Fuller and the Sex Pistols.  Eddie was also one of the first American rockers to tour the United Kingdom, where he would prove especially influential; when Paul McCartney first met John Lennon, John was impressed that Paul could not only play Cochran's "Twenty Flight Rock," and just like me, knew the lyrics by heart.

'The Eddie Cochran Box Set: A Complete History In Words And Music' is a 4 CD set from the legendary Rock n' Roll singer, songwriter and guitarist.  This release is a comprehensive introduction to the all too short, yet influential, music career of Eddie Cochran, containing 134 tracks including all his major hits.

CD1 "I'm Ready" chronicles his early work 1955-56 when he performed as a duo with Hank Cochran (no-relation) as 'The Cochran Brothers'.

CD2 "
Summertime Blues" focuses on his solo work and includes the hits 'Twenty Flight Rock', 'Sittin' in the Balcony', 'Jeanie, Jeanie, Jeanie', and 'Summertime Blues'.

CD3 "
'Somethin' Else" continues his solo years, alongside instrumental works, and includes 'C'mon Everybody', 'Teenage Heaven' and 'Somethin' Else'.

CD4 "Three Steps To Heaven" is a collection of live versions, stereo recordings, instrumentals, outtakes and rarities.


Audio wise, the digital remastering is really a pleasure.  This becomes evident at the earliest numbers, many Cochran compilations have been somewhat uneven, sonically speaking, this is not the case on this release.  There's also a detailed booklet (included in the freeload) that includes pictures, interesting text, and detailed recording date information.

To get the freeload, tell us what some of your favorite 1950s Rock n' Roll songs are.

32 comments:

  1. Phantom Of The Rock OperaApril 17, 2024 at 7:39 PM

    Race With The Devil / Blue Jean Bop / Dance To The Bop (and just about anything else by) Gene Vincent & The Bluecaps
    At The Hop / Rock N' Roll Is Here To Stay - Danny & The Juniors
    Book Of Love - Monotones
    C'mon Lets Go / Talahassie Lassie - Tommy Steele
    Move it / Dynamite - Cliff Richard
    That' ll Be The Day/ Rave On / Its Doesn't Matter Anymore (and pretty much everything else Buddy did) - Buddy Holly
    Johnny B Goode/ Sweet Little Sixteen - Chuck Berry
    Ooby Dooby / Rockhouse - Roy Orbision
    Bye Bye Love / Wake Up/ All I Have To Do is Dream
    Brand New Cadillac - Vince Taylor
    I Only Have Eyes For You - Flamingos
    Please Don't Touch - Johnny Kidd & The Pirates
    Heartbreak Hotel/ Jailhouse Rock/ Blue Suede Shoes/ Kid Creole/ Dont Be Cruel - Elvis
    20 Flight Rock / C'mon Everybody/ Summertime Blues - Eddie Cochran
    White Lightnin' / Chantilly Lace - Big Bopper
    Tutti Frutti / Long Tall Sally - Little Richard
    Hard Headed Woman / Honey Bop / Let's Have A Party - Wanda Jackson
    Come Go With Me / Whispering Bells - Del-Vikings
    Mister Blue - Fleetwoods
    Money - Barrett Strong
    You Send me / Only Sixteen / Blue Moon - Sam Cooke
    Poison Ivy / Charlie Brown/ Yakety Yak - Coasters
    Since I Don't Have You - Skyliners
    Earth Angel - Penguins
    Bang Bang / All Right Baby - Janis Martin
    Sweet Nuthin's / Let's Jump The Bropomstick - Brenda Lee

    And loads more but its hard to remember whats 50's and what's 1960's (eg the Marcels - Blue Moon is 1961, Shakin All Over is 1960 and loads of my favourite Everlys like Crying In The Rain is early 1960's too)


    ReplyDelete
  2. Phantom of The Rock OperaApril 17, 2024 at 7:45 PM

    And then I forgot Jerry Lee Lewis & Shirley & Lee to name another two

    ReplyDelete
  3. I first heard "Summertime Blues" by Blue Cheer early in 1968, when I was 11 years old. It was #7 on KYA out of San Francisco. Two years later, The Who hit #18 with the same song. Both charted higher in the Bay Area than on the national Billboard Hot 100.

    So, when Liberty issued a 2-LP "Legendary Masters" Eddie Cochran record, I bought it. This was 1972. None of my friends listened to 50s music. A year later, in 1973....the film American Graffiti changed that, but in 1972...no one was listening, much less spendin' the shekels on a double album from a guy who only hit the Top 40 twice. And "C'mon Everybody" barely counts, only making it to #38.

    But I loved this stuff. Liner notes by one Lenny Kaye (who would turn up three years later when I bought that first Patti Smith album....)

    And the pictures...yeah, I still turn my collar up on my Levi jacket.

    Eventually, I play the Mabuhay Gardens in a pretty awful rockabilly band in 1983, and yeah...we do Summertime Blues, C'mon Everybody, Jeanie, Jeanie, Jeanie, and Something Else

    I'll be back with my fave raves later.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the early 70s, here in New York WCBS-FM, became an “Oldies” station, and billed themselves as “The home go the golden oldies” which played Rock n’ Roll from 50s up to the British Invasion, including girl groups and Doo-wop. The station is still around, but now the definition of “Oldies” includes Pop hits from the 60s, 70s, and 80s, along with 50s rock.



      Also, at the time, Richard Nader was promoting his Rock and Roll Revival concerts, and made the concert movie ‘Let the Good Times Roll’ released in ’73, and Sha Na Na was riding the nostalgia wave.



      All of the above was popular with people too old to be Baby Boomers, but younger than the Baby Boomers’ parents. For the most part, they didn’t do drugs, and didn’t like “Hippie Music”

.

      Collar up on a Levi jacket, is there any other way?

      Delete
    2. Also you fold back the cuffs. We were hippies in high school, long hair, bellbottoms, but I'm from a western family....the Levi jacket was what we wore, not those fancy leather motorcycle jackets.

      Delete
    3. A lot of the AM stations switched over to oldies format. I always figured it was because they already had the records, they just got old.

      My mom once said, you know you are old when you don't know any of the songs on the oldies station.

      Now they call it Classic Radio.

      Delete
  4. does El Paso count? Neal t

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. oo-ee-oo-ah-ah, ting-tang-walla-walla-bing-bang

      Delete
  6. Phantom Of The Rock Opera covers most of them really...
    Chuck Berry's Rock & Roll Music & Roll Over Beethoven are still classic songs!
    I had Summertime Blues as a 45 as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cruising With Ruben & The Jets

    sorry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mid to late '50s in the US was when NO music rose from local popularity to national, and then international, acclaim. The man almost singly responsible for this was Antoine "Fats" Domino. His hits in the 50s include such acclaimed hits as
    -They Call Me the Fat Man (considered by some to be the 1st rock n roll record)
    -Blueberry Hill
    -Blue Monday
    -Ain't that Ashame
    -Walking' to New Orleans
    And many others. RIP, Fats.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bought Elvis' Gold Records vol 1 in 1960. It was the English version, so instead of Jailhouse Rock, Party, Teddy Bear and one other I forget, it had I Love You Because, a couple I forget and You're a Heartbreaker. Which I immediately realised was the best track on it.
    Later that year I bought For LP Fans Only and heard I'm Left, You're right etc. The best Elvis track evah. I thought the rest was good, too, esp Mystery Train, Tryin to Get To You & Money Honey.
    Eddie was popular in England - we liked guys who wrote and played on their stuff - Buddy Holly, Duane Eddy. Not so much if they were black - Chuck, Bo & Fats didn't make much of a stir first time round.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh and the first record I ever bought was before I had a record player, 1959 in a second-hand shop in Colchester, a Jerry Lee Lewis EP with Breathless, Down The Line, Whole Lotta and I'm Feelin Sorry. On Sun. Didn't realise at the time what a find it was. Probably from a US base juke box.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love Potion #9 - the Clovers
    Purple People Eater - Sheb Wooley
    Witch Doctor - David Seville

    ReplyDelete
  12. On a sunday afternoon, going through my older generation sisters pile of 45s, 2 songs caught my attention, "The Great Pretender" & "Drink, Drink, Drink" and, I became a music lover and a radiophile, but I stayed away from the piano in the living room.

    In the fifties, it was the golden era of instrumentals in the charts, so I'll say "Bongo Rock".

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maybellene & Memphis by C. Berry, Great Balls Of Fire by J.L. Lewis, I Only Have Eyes For You by The Flamingos, Ain't That A Shame by Fats Domino. Thanks Babs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, sorry, forgot to say that your injury story is great, a bit tragic-sure, but overall a fantastic tale. The power of music is incredible

      Delete
  14. Phantom Of The Rock OperaApril 18, 2024 at 2:28 PM

    Indeed nobody's mentioned Sandy Nelson, Johnny & The Hurricanes, Santo & Johnny, Duane Eddy, The Champs or Link Wray.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Link
    https://we.tl/t-OriolV995q

    ReplyDelete
  16. All the stuff Fantom listed on top, Most all of the American Graffiti soundtrack, and all Chuck Berry, except My Ding-a-ling (which doesn't fit the category anyway)
    -notBob

    ReplyDelete
  17. oops, sorry i Misspelled Phantom...

    ReplyDelete
  18. "Flyin' Saucers Rock 'n' Roll" by Billy Lee Riley and the Little Green Men. I have a weakness for good novelty records (like "Green Chri$tmas" by Stan Freberg!), and when I first heard this as an adult, I flipped.
    D in California

    ReplyDelete
  19. Let's see... besides the really obvious stuff....such as everything Chuck Berry ever recorded, Elvis, Jerry Lee, Fats, Muddy, Bo, and the American Graffiti bands....I gotta go with "Dixie Fried" by Carl Perkins.

    "Well, Dan got happy and he started raving.
    He pulled out a razor, but he wasn't shaving.
    And all the cats knew to jump and hop,
    Cause he was born and raised in a butcher shop."

    That was a world into which I wanted to enter...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mercury Blues
    Then any Jimmy Rushing songs

    ReplyDelete
  21. When I made my comp tapes in th'80s of my all-time fave songs, I believe only three came from the 50s: Mystery Train and That's Alright Mama (seminal songs that would've sounded appropriate on a Harry Smith-curated anthology) by Elvis, and Sea Cruise by Frankie Ford. Since then, I might add Little Willie John's Leave My Kitten Alone, which has got to be one of my all-timer favorite vocal performances, and Huey Smith's Don't You Just Know It, which just plain kicks ass on all fronts.
    I have tons of New Orleans stuff from that era, the great pre-Army (with vastly diminishing returns thereafter) Elvis stuff, Little Richard's and Chuck's and Buddy's and Bill Haley's (Rock Around The Clock is a study in arrangement, dynamics and production, still shockingly fresh-sounding today to these ears) and Eddie's and the Coasters' classics, but I have more of Bo than any of the others, including his stuff going into the early 70s.
    C in California

    ReplyDelete
  22. Here's one that's obscure, but I personally recommend. Joyce Green's "Black Cadillac." She's gonna buy a pistol, a great big .45, kill the man what done her wrong, and then drive to his funeral in a Cadillac... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSCBDw2aahc&t=64s

    ReplyDelete
  23. why does it expire so soon ?

    ReplyDelete