Not unlike hurricanes, tornados, extreme temperatures, seismic and volcanic activity, Chester Arthur Burnett better known as Howlin' Wolf is a force of nature.
Smokestack Lightning: The Complete Chess Masters 1951-1960, is a 97-track, four-disc limited-edition box set containing everything Wolf cut in his first decade of recording, with plenty of alternate takes, many of which never released in the U.S. It traces Wolf’s evolution from an early 1950s style of Delta “country” blues with electric guitar added, to rockabilly influenced fast 1-4-5 blues in the mid-50s, to the beginning of his successful collaboration with Willie Dixon and Hubert Sumlin in Chicago, a period in which he took the blues in a new direction with a strong overlap toward rock music.
My introduction to Wolf, was the album "Howlin' Wolf" nicknamed, "The Rockin' Chair Album" by fans, this was followed by the "Moanin’ at Midnight" album. The opening bars of the song "Moanin’ at Midnight" are my favorite in the entire blues genre.
This set has good audio quality, and an excellent booklet with essays by Peter Guralnick and Dick Shurman and discographical information (which I've included).
For the freeload, tell us what your favorite alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks are.



Non-alcoholic drink, I am unfortunately a fan of sodas (or "fizzy drinks", as I'm told some Brits would say).
ReplyDeleteDr. Pepper is a favorite, and I just tried the new Fanta Mango-Dragonfruit concoction (with no less than 0,1% Mango and 0,1 % Dragonfruit in it!) which is...intense, if you can stomach highly artificial flavoring.
Alcoholic drink: Gimme a "gazoile" ('petrol'), a pastis mixed with coke (turning the drink a petrol color). Beer only when it's hot weather...
In the 1960s, during winters in Southern California, when the temperature plummeted down to a "bone chilling" 50° F (10° C), people drank hot Dr. Pepper with a slice of lemon.
DeleteA few times a year, I'll have a Dr. Pepper or a Mountain Dew.
Hot Dr. Pepper sounds horrifying...
DeleteI tried it once. Once.
DeleteAlcohol, I'll take vino tinto anyday. For the harder stuff, either tequila or gin. Non-aloholic, only drink coffee or water.
ReplyDeleteAt present my favorite is Carabao Beer with lots of ice (Thai style!)! Non-alcoholic, probably a fruit juice; orange, mango, passion fruit, etc.
ReplyDeleteHowlin' Wolf is awesome, too bad there hasn't been a similar collection released of his later work...
Wine: White Burgundy, and for Reds Bordeaux and Napa.
ReplyDeleteNegroni (equal parts gin, vermouth rosso, and Campari) it makes a nice apéritif. Vodka and soda on the rocks, with lime juice, is my favorite warm weather drink.
Non-aloholic, coffee, seltzer/club soda, grapefruit juice.
Thanks Babs. Ardbeg, pretty much any of them, rarely, maybe a small glass once or twice a year, neat, with a water back. Freshly ground coffee beans, pour over - black, water, seltzer.
ReplyDeleteAlcoholic: A dark, syrupy Porter accompanied by Indian or Latino food.
ReplyDeleteNon: Pomegranate juice in sparkling water. When the aquifer our well draws on becomes sweet, often in midsummer, a draft of the water from 260 feet down is difficult to top for its quench factor and taste.
Howlin' Link
ReplyDeletehttps://we.tl/t-cVocba9pKQ
Thanks Babs, much appreciated.
DeleteEnjoy, Koen!
DeleteOn Jonder we just posted a followup Wolf collection!
Deletehttps://jonderblog.blogspot.com/2024/04/call-me-wolf-howlin-wolf-1969-1973.html
haha! I actually hardly ever drink, but the best drink i ever had was a whiskey sour made by a tall black bartender at the edge of a pier overlooking Kingston Bay in Jamaica. It was a huge drink with all kinds of tropical fruits that he mixed in a blender. After I drank a few sips, it tasted like heavenly ambrosia. It was night, but the air was still and hot, so I jumped off the bar stool into the ocean just behind me. and swam to shore , avoiding stepping on any sea urchins and the one or two swift swimming barracuda that were cruising about. I was in Jamaica because a friend of mine had to leave the country cuz the cops were looking for him in connection with an INSIDE JOB RoBBERY. We grabbed a flight out of Miami to Kingston and then stayed in Sheffield, a little village outside of Negril. I was 18 years old and I brought along my girlfriend, (who was only 14 at the time!) She ran away from home to go with me on that trip. And her father was also a policeman! Living dangerously on the edge seemed to be my path those days! non alcoholic favorite. fresh made lemonade
ReplyDeleteSince my wife died, I ALMOST totally lost interest in booze. Weird, eh! although now I don't mind the odd beer at times, and liqueurs. I generally drink tea and coffee.
ReplyDeleteMy drinking days are definitely in the rear view mirrors but I still can be persuaded to have the odd tipple once in a while. Lager is my standard brew but I'll never turn down a glass of Chateuneuf Du Pape nor indeed Chablis or Pouilly-Fume and I was always partial to a 'Red Witch' as a cocktail and always had a taste for Pernod based drinks. Long Island Iced Teas were always a fav as well as were Cubatas and Vodka Redbulls were mandatory if it was going to be a long night. And for breakfast the morning after a Bloody Mary of course heavy on the tabasco. Its a long while since I've indulged in a good few of those and now I mention them I am tempted. You never quite lose the taste
ReplyDeleteFor quieter times a 20 year old single malt such as Glenmorangie or Laphroiag hits the spot as does a 20 year old port. in regards soft drinks my staple is most varieties of Coke and Pepsi with Pepsi Max preferred. That said I am allergic to one of the supermarket brands though (it must be an additive) so I avoid it like the plague. I have little preference between tea and coffee and will drink either if offered. If I am having a still drink blackberry based squashes are my first choice.
As with most things I believe in the adage that variety is the spice of life!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI'll have a Merlot or a few bourbon on the rocks, but gotta have 2 cups of coffee in the morning!
DeleteNot a big drinker of alcoholic drinks, albeit I'm happy to be living in the era of craft beers. Non-alcoholic sorts out for me with Athletic Brewing Company's Blue Wave IPA. Revelatory.
ReplyDeleteBonus: whatever ginger beer it was encountered in Barbados in the late eighties.
Non alcoholic: sparkling water / Alcoholic: Boulevardier
ReplyDeleteCognac poured into a coffee used to be but coffee shuts down 51% of your brain for 2 weeks after just one cup since caffeine is used by plants to kill off its neighbors so it can get more sunlight and similarly is toxic to human cells so now I would say my local saki that is natural and cloudy. Non alcoholic drink Unipop from the Publix with pro-biotics added. For that matter any natural CO2 drink for health since Ray Peat learned before he died how healthy it is akin to the Queen Bee living 49 or so times longer than worker bees due to the fact she stays in the hive and breaths CO2 all day.
ReplyDelete