Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Lightnin’ Hopkins - ‘Mojo Hand: The Complete Fire Sessions’


This is an expanded 2CD edition of Lightnin' Hopkins' 1962 classic album, 'Mojo Hand'. 

In November 1960, Lightnin' Hopkins and producer Bobby Robinson, along with drummer Delmar Donnell, and an unknown bass player (whose name no one can agree on) went into Beltone Studios, in midtown Manhattan, and recorded 18 tracks in one marathon session.  The result was one of Lightnin's finest albums, "Mojo Hand", which for some reason wasn't released 1962 on Bobby Robinson’s, Fire Records label, with the remaining 9 tracks sitting in the safe of the label.

 

In 2022 Sunset Blvd Records secured the rights to all 18 tracks, remastered them from the original analog master tapes, to bring the sound quality to today’s standards, and released them as a 2CD set.

Bobby Robinson (right) was a fan of Lightnin', and it shows in the way he produced the 18 tracks.  Rather than go for an uptown version of Hopkins' music, Bobby seems to understand more than most of Lightnin's producers and, allows the strings of the guitar to resonate with a sparkling quality, which sounds very cool next to the raw growl of Lightnin's voice.  On some of the songs, Bobby casts Lightnin' in a R&B(ish) flavored environment, in an obvious effort to get a jukebox hit, but make no mistake, this is a blues album.  One of the many things I like about this album is how drummer Delmar Donnell stays out of Lightnin’s way, which is no easy task considering the Lightnin's eccentric sense of timing, and how the bass is there, but unobtrusive

'Mojo Hand' is widely regarded as one of the true masterpieces from Lightnin’ Hopkins's catalog, with its moody and powerful performances.  The material ranges from classic blues to R&B-flavored numbers. There’s even a charming novelty Christmas blues, titled "Santa".

This is the real deal, kids.

To qualify for ‘Mojo Hand: The Complete Fire Sessions’, tell us about your favorite piece of clothing.

20 comments:

  1. Beige sportcoat which Ms Pmac gave me for Christmas. Fully lined ( which is rare these days), high quality fabric and really great buttons that have sort of a swirl design. Also gifted me several nice pocket squares for it. Makes an otherwise slob, like me, look presentable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My iridescent Neoprene™ ProfilePumper© thong.

    FT3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone has been too polite to tell you, but it makes your ass look fat.

      Delete
    2. True, but it does give him a nice looking "package"

      Delete
    3. Back when my mother’s family still owned a neighborhood bar, there was a regular customer, Mr. Harry, who stopped in everyday on his way from work, drank beer, and chain smoked until he literally was about to pass out, and then stumble his way out the door. Harry rarely uttered a word, except on the weekends when he would visit the bar to watch baseball games on tv, and spread his encyclopedic knowledge about every player who ever donned a uniform in the majors.
      One weekday evening, I was there with a few friends knocking back a few longnecks, and Mr. Harry was perched next to us, in his typical early evening stupor, and not conversing with anyone. Our group was getting loud, and obnoxious, and somehow our conversation turned to the size and girth of our “manhood” with each of us making greater exaggerations. Without missing a beat, and with a lit cigarette firmly in his lips, Mr. Harry announced to us, “I’m an anaconda!”

      Delete
    4. There’s an accent joke about two goats, who come across a pair of woman's panties. The first goat decides he wants to eat the panties, while the second goat decides against it, and looks elsewhere for something to eat. A few hours later, the second goat returns, to find his friend writhing in pain, and tells him, “The thong is ended, but the malady lingers on”

      Delete
    5. LOL - I once had a huge Irish Setter (Theo, named after Monk, 95 lbs and when he got on his hind legs he could look me in the face) that regularly devoured womens' panties.

      Delete
    6. That's fine, but it's how you got them that's problematic.

      FT3

      Delete
    7. Hopefully, the women weren't still wearing them.

      Delete
  3. Phantom Of The Rock OperaMarch 6, 2024 at 2:29 AM

    Made to measure suit 100% Navy Blue Wool, straight trousers (no flare etc) , Jacket with 5 inch side vents, two flap side pockets, ticket pocket etc etc. Wore it either with two tone brogues or grey suede shoes white shirt, a vintage one inch wide olive pale blue and white striped tie and of course wrap around sunglasses

    "I'm the snappiest dresser, right down to my inch wide tie
    And to get you wise I'll explain it to you
    A few of the things that a face is supposed to do

    I wear zoot suit jacket with side vents five inches long
    I have two-tone brogues, yeah you know this is wrong
    But the main thing is unless you're a fool
    Ah, you know you gotta know, yeah you know, yeah you gotta be cool"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine is a Schott Perfecto 618 motorcycle jacket, the 618 is the model Marlon Brando wore in the ‘The Wild One’. I bought in a used clothing store in Pasadena, CA, in 1967, it was probably 10 old then. It’s been relined once, and restitched twice by Schott, What I like is you can dress it up over a dress, or down with chinos or jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neck gaiter, keeps the throat warm and helps with maintaining body heat during chilly daily walks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love my salmon-colored suit. Fits well and my favorite color. I don't wear it enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lightnin' Link
    https://we.tl/t-pPBcrUsfv5

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phantom Of The Rock OperaMarch 6, 2024 at 9:06 PM

    My other fav was a black boating blazer with red vertical stripes courtesy of the Kings Road. That really turned heads in the small provincial town I grew up in in the late 1970's.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Adult Swiftie has entered the chat.

      FT3

      Delete
  10. I have a silk shawl/scarf that belonged to my mother (she passed away in 2022). A kind of Escher'ed design in blue and white. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the Mojo! Not sure I have a favorite piece of clothing but I do like my Keen flip flops. Only shoes I can wear without my feet hurting

    ReplyDelete