Monday, February 19, 2024

Interpretations of Monk



On November 1, 1981, a few months before Thelonious Monk’s death, there were two tribute concerts (an afternoon and evening show), that took place at Columbia University, here in Manhattan, and make up this 4CD set.

There were two sets in the afternoon show, the first featured pianist Muhal Richard Abrams (CD1), and the second set was by Barry Harris (CD2), both sets featured soprano saxophonist Steve Lacy, Thelonious' longtime tenor saxophonist Charlie Rouse, trombonist Roswell Rudd, trumpeter Don Cherry, bassist Richard Davis, with drummer Ben Riley playing on Muhal Richard Abrams’ set, and drummer Ed Blackwell on Barry Harris’ set. At the end of Muhal Richard Abrams’ set, Amiri Baraka reads his poem ‘Bang, Bang Outishly’.

The evening show was also two sets, the first set was Anthony Davis (CD3), and the second set was Mal Waldron (CD4), the backing musicians were the same as the afternoon show, with drummer Ed Blackwell playing on Anthony Davis’ set, and drummer Ed Blackwell on Mal Waldron’s set.

 

 

If you’re a fan of Thelonious’ music, I highly recommend this wonderful set.

To qualify for this freeload, what are some of your favorite live albums?







46 comments:

  1. Favorite live lps, vary by genre. Jazz, Duke's live at Newport is just so phenomenal, as well as historic. Brazilian music, I always listen to the multiple live recordings by Djavan. Rock/soul/funk kinda switches from Neville Brothers live at Tipitinas, to Little Feat Waiting on Columbus or the ABB's Filmore release.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I generally prefer studio LPs because they are almost always technologically superior and because they offer the ability to use multiple vocal tracks from one singer, two or more guitars from power trios and sound manipulation (perhaps peculiarly relevant to psych and related genres). Most of all, they have an immediacy, a sense that they exist only in your room (or inside your head when wearing headphones) instead of some other space.
    That being said, I like Waiting For Columbus, Band Of Gypsys and Time Fades Away. The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads is also good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, Band of Gypsys is hard to beat. I'm still amazed by the playing & singing on the live record of Pentangle's 2-lp Sweet Child. The recently issued live concert of Neil Ardley's Kaleidoscope of Rainbows (on the fairly new Jazz in Britain label) is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have many fovorite live albums. But for some reason (and it's not because that are to me the best live albums) Two For The Show of Kansas and Wings Over America (PM's Wings) always come to mind. These were the first live albums that I listened to in my life, when I was probably 13/14 years old. They both make a huge impression on me. Now, for the "Best" live album mmmmm I would say "Secret World Live" or "Live in Athens" (both from Peter Gabriel). But "Radical Action to Unseat the Hold of Monkey Mind" and "Live at Frejus" (both King Crimson albums) are very good ones too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Duke at Fargo. A miracle it was recorded, more miraculous wonderful playing on a routine one-nighter. Download to follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant pick, Dave! I was scratching my head over Bab's question, entertaining "Live Dead" and Benny Goodman's 1938 Carnegie Hall release, but I completely concur.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for Fargo. That was a great band and a nice capture of what must have been a typical night for them on the road. I bet people were dancing.

      I also appreciate it being in 320. I know Babs posts Flac and I've certainly downloaded my share. but I don't always need that bitrate. When I download in Flac I burn it to disc, convert it back to 320 MP3s for a flash drive for the car or iPod, and then often give my Flac disc to an audio pinhead friend. It would be helpful if you posters would provide that bitrate information in your description. The bitrate often influenced my decision to download or not.

      Thanks again.

      Delete
    3. Yup, Fargo is right up there. This is a hard question.

      Delete
  6. Phantom of The Rock OperaFebruary 19, 2024 at 2:02 PM

    Tough One. My first thought was "Hit The Road Stax" (Redding, Thomas, Booker T, Floyd etc) from 1967 which has enormous energy. I then jumped to the magnificent 'Slade Alive'. Noddy Holder's vocals are one the great phenomena of rock music. Then I started leaning toward the Who - Live At The Isle of Wight but finally I settled for the Zombies 40th anniversary performance of Odessey & Oracle. The whole story of how this forgotten after thought of an album became one of the great psychedelic albums of all time and its first poignant live celebration 40 years after its release just puts it up there and the fact that Blunstone and Argent were still brilliant live just about topped the others for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First one that comes to mind is The Who Live at Leeds

    ReplyDelete
  8. A few in regular rotation
    Bill Evans ‘Sunday At The Village Vanguard’
    Sam Cooke 'Live at the Harlem Square Club, 1963'
    Miles Davis 'The Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel 1965'
    The Quintet ‘Jazz at Massey Hall’
    Rolling Stones 'Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!'
    John Coltrane ‘Live At Birdland’
    Ornette Coleman ‘At The Golden Circle, Stockholm Volumes 1 & 2’
    Jazz At The Philharmonic Bird & Pres: The ’46 Concerts
    Thelonious Monk Quartet With John Coltrane ‘At Carnegie Hall’
    Keith Jarrett ‘The Köln Concert’
    Ben Webster - ‘At the Renaissence’

    ReplyDelete
  9. Coltrane - Live at the Village Vanguard
    Keith Jarrett Quartet - Nude Ants (Village Vanguard)
    Ralph Towner - Solo Concert
    Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothingness and Eternity
    Santana - Lotus
    Laura Nyro - Season of Lights
    Flatt and Scruggs at Carnegie Hall
    Donny Hathaway Live
    J. Geils Band - Full House
    Brian Auger - Live Oblivion Vol. 2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a well-rounded list, Richard.
      The Flatt and Scruggs, reminded me of another favorite, which I need to pull out: 'Old And In The Way'
      Also, the first Hot Tuna album, recorded live at the New Orleans House in Berkeley, California.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Babs, I’m enjoying the Monk tribute

      Delete
    3. I'll use these fine lists to avoid repetition. Monk and Trane is all I need.

      Delete
  10. Tough one, but I think I settle for the Talking Heads' Stop Making Sense, utterly brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one just popped up among the cobwebs of my memory: Dr. Feelgood's Stupidity, recorded in 1976, it made everybody suddenly realize how raw real live music should be played!

      Delete
  11. Clifford Brown, The Beginning & the End
    The Band, The Rock of Ages
    The Chad Mitchell Trio, At the Bitter End

    Gbrand

    ReplyDelete
  12. James Brown - Love Power Peace
    BB King - Live at the Regal
    Dead - Reckoning (and a few dozen others)
    Band - Rock of Ages
    Eva Cassidy - Blues Alley
    Etta James - Rocks the House
    Lou Reed - Rock and Roll Animal
    Stones - YaYas
    Yardbirds- 5 Live
    Weather Report - 8:30

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Five Live Yardbirds is a great pick. The only Eric Clapton record I still listen to...well, that and maybe "Fresh Cream."

      Delete
    2. Rock Of Ages! Allen Toussaint's horn arrangements are fabulous. Love the Etta James album too.

      Delete
  13. “When we trod this land. We walked for one reason. The reason is to try to help another man to think for himself. The music of our art is Roots music. Music which recalls history, because without the knowledge of your history you cannot determine your destiny. The music about the present, because if you’re not conscious about the present – you’re like a cabbage in this society. Music which tells about the future. And the judgement which is to come. The music of our art is Roots. Presenting Misty In Roots. Roots music for everybody. I’d like to say good evening – or good morning…”
    Misty in Roots.: Live at The Counter Eurovision 1979

    It knocks every other live lp into a cocked hat, and then some, but everybody knows that, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shame on me, I wasn't even aware of them, listening to it now, excellent roots reggae!

      Delete
  14. I love a live album. I’ve been reminded how great the Slade Alive, Stop Making Sense, Misty in Roots live albums are.

    A few that come to mind that have not been mentioned, Humble Pie Rockin The Fillmore, Robin Trower Live, Stones Brussles Affair (so good you can feel the heat), Neil Young Live Rust and Ian Hunter Live Welcome to The Club. Also any of the King Crimson 1974 live releases that have been made available in recent years are superhot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow, a long way back... "live dead", then a jimi hendrix bootleg "at isle of wight" and "electrif lythcantrope" by little feat. to get this record i've hitchhiked with a good friend to amsterdam, at that time there a some stores to get bootlegs...
    huey

    ReplyDelete
  16. Spirit Live is an album I return to again and again. And again. It was bafflingly repackaged as Live In Germany (which it wasn't) and later given the warts and all treatment by Mick Skidmore as part of his Trash The Memory Of Spirit programme. The original is the way to go. The overdubs are beautifully done and integral to the sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Farq, besides pointing out that you spelled 'program' wrong (and you were doing SO good with 'humor' and 'favorites' over there on the Isle), I will add that Spirit's Ed Cassidy lived, until going into advanced care for his cancer, a mere 4.5 miles southeast of your beloved Pismo Beach. Small world, innit?
      I will look into that live Spirit album because '12 Dreams' has been one of my top 10s since I heard it as a tad of 10 or so. Thanks for the tip!
      C in California

      Delete
  17. Link
    https://we.tl/t-VdwLFoFEg5

    ReplyDelete
  18. Here's Duke at Fargo.

    https://workupload.com/file/rkPBDcbH4Tt

    Honourable mentions -
    J Geils - Full House

    Johnny Rivers - Last Boogie in Paris (Not the complete concert, that drags a bit in the middle, the vinyl version).

    To be posted.

    ReplyDelete
  19. No particular order:
    Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds 'Live Seeds'
    U2 'Under A Blood Red Sky'
    Black Oak Arkansas 'Raunch N Roll'
    J Geils Band 'Live Full House'
    Sam Cooke 'Live at the Harlem Square Club, 1963'
    Thin White Rope 'The One That Got Away'
    Fleetwood Mac 'Live' (1980) side 4
    Humble Pie 'Performance Rockin' The Fillmore' side 4
    C in California

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeezus, I forgot Graham Parker 'Live! Alone In America'.
      C in California

      Delete
  20. Bit off piste but this has so many acts it probably my top live Lp

    Urgh! A Music War is a 1982 British concert film featuring performances by punk rock, new wave, and post-punk bands and artists. Filmed in August to September 1980 it was directed by Derek Burbidge and produced by Michael White and Lyndall Hobbs. Among the acts featured in the film are Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark (OMD), Magazine, the Go-Go's, Toyah Willcox, Joan Jett & the Blackhearts, X, XTC, Devo, the Cramps, Oingo Boingo, Dead Kennedys, Gary Numan, Klaus Nomi, Wall of Voodoo, Pere Ubu, Skafish, Steel Pulse, Surf Punks, 999, UB40, Echo & the Bunnymen and The Police. These were many of the most popular groups on the New Wave scene; in keeping with the spirit of the scene, the film also features several less famous acts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I played the Urgh double LP quite a bit in my younger days, and rewatched the concert film recently. Great stuff! I thought about nominating The Decline of Western Civilization (another punk film soundtrack) as my favorite live album. It's certainly an influential and memorable one, and it asks one of life's unanswerable questions: "What does 'eat my fuck' mean?"

      Delete
  21. as threatened -
    J Geils - Full House

    https://workupload.com/file/AK6kAvf3Fqn

    Johnny Rivers - Last Boogie

    https://workupload.com/file/Y3hr4dbrGSD

    I should mention Clifford Brown Max Roach in California 1954, I had 2 EPs of this as a kid, will post later

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't going to bother with the Johnny Rivers - my only prior musical reference for him was "Secret Agent Man". Then I thought - what the heck - let's give it a go. I am SO glad I did. The entire concert is fantastic - and that is one TIGHT backing band he has - a real who's who of 70's L.A. session guys. This is one of the best things I have heard in a while. Thanks for sharing!!!

      Delete
  22. Many Thanks Babs & Dave for the Monk & Duke links!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Excluding countless boots, and going into it knowing ten is a tenth of what is needed:

    Bob Marley & the Wailers - Capitol Session ’73
    Abdullah Ibrahim f. Johnny Classens - South Africa
    Aretha Franklin - Amazing Grace
    Thelonious Monk - Five Spot
    Steve Lacy - The Way
    The Byrds - Fillmore West ’69
    Betty Carter - The Audience with Betty Carter
    Randy Weston - The Storyteller Live at Dozzy’s Club Cola Cola
    Professor Longhair - Live at Tipitina’s
    Charles Mingus - Concertgebouw Amsterdam 1964
    Cecil Taylor - One Too Many and Salty Swift and Not Goodbye
    Little Feat - Paul’s Mall ‘73

    ReplyDelete
  25. James Brown - Live at The Apollo
    Otis Redding - Live at The Whisky
    Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall
    Rahsaan Roland Kirk - Bright Moments
    Thelonious Monk at the Blackhawk
    Eric Dolphy at the Five Spot
    Donny Hathaway - These Songs for You, Live!
    and that's just a smattering of the records I perennially return to for that live vibe.
    And thanks for all the audio treasures, Babs.

    ReplyDelete
  26. 1. Willie Nelson - Live at the Texas Opry House, Houston TX
    2. B. B. King - Live at the Regal
    3. Counting Crows - Live in New York City
    4. Frank Sinatra - Live in Seattle '57
    5. Graham Parker - Live Sparks
    6. Joe Ely - Live Shots
    7. John Hiatt - Comes Alive At Budokan
    8. Raspberries - Live on the Sunset Strip
    9. James Taylor - Live 1992
    10. Simon & Garfunkel - Live '68 at Hollywood Bowl

    ReplyDelete
  27. Here's Max & Clifford, two separate concerts. The EPs I had were Clifford's Axe/Tenderly and Jordu/Parisian Thoroughfare.

    https://workupload.com/file/PCwWpc2RPkj

    ReplyDelete
  28. In no particular order
    Commander Cody & His Lost Planet Airmen - We've Got A Live One Here
    Snarky Puppy - We Like It Here
    Rory Gallagher - Irish Tour 74
    Frank Zappa & The Mothers - Roxy & Elsewhere
    Woodstock I & II
    The Crusaders - Scratch
    The Closing of Fillmore West
    Los Lobos - Kiko & The Lavender Moon Live
    Stones - Ya Ya's
    The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads
    801 Live
    Bob Dylan - Hard Rain
    The Quintet - Massey Hall
    CSNY - 4 Way Street
    MJQ - The Last Concert

    ReplyDelete