Thursday, March 19, 2026

Wilson Pickett - 'The Complete Atlantic Albums Collection'

Announcement

I’m taking a short break, and my next post will be either on April 1st or 2nd.

Some friends and I are embarking on a road trip to visit a friend. (Flying in March 2026 is a complete nightmare.)

If anyone is looking for me, I’ll be on the beach in Boca Raton.

In the meantime, here’s


Wilson Pickett’s recording career didn’t begin at Atlantic Records. Instead, he achieved three charting R&B singles for Harold Logan and Lloyd Price’s independent label, Double-L, in the early 1960s. However, it was Atlantic Records that truly propelled his musical career, enabling him to reach a broader audience and gain mainstream recognition.

Wilson's tenure with the Atlantic Records label lasted seven years, from 1965 to 1972.  During that time he racked up almost fifty charting singles and released ten albums, which can all be found in 'The Complete Atlantic Albums Collection'.

This box set captures Wilson Pickett during a prolific seven-year period when he was at the height of his musical prowess.  Each album in the set is solid and well-crafted, 
with hardly any "filler" whatsoever.

Wilson Pickett – The Complete Atlantic Albums Collection is a 10CD set, that was released in 2017.  It has replica mini LP sleeves in a clam shell-style box.  These recordings have never sounded better.  Surprisingly, there's no booklet. 



Given that "In The Midnight Hour" was Pickett’s debut smash for Atlantic Records, it was no surprise that his inaugural album for the label had the same title.  Though just 24 at the time, in terms of his searing vocal performances and magnetic stage presence, he seemed much older than his years.  That was probably due to the experience he gained from his apprenticeship in the Detroit R&B band, The Falcons.  Other highlights of his Atlantic debut album, which,was recorded at Stax studios in Memphis, included the hits "Don’t Fight It" and "I Found A Love".


Pickett’s next album, 1966’s 'The Exciting Wilson Pickett', featured the classic hits "634-5789 (Soulsville USA)" and "Land Of 1,000 Dances". The album was recorded at Fame studios in Alabama and did better than his debut.


1967's 'The Wicked Pickett' was another hit album packed with gems, among them the perennial favorite, "Mustang Sally"


'The Sound Of Wilson Pickett' also from 1967 included the chart-topping single, "Funky Broadway".


On 'I'm In Love', released in 1968, Wilson covered four Bobby Womack songs, including the gentle title cut that was a Top 5 US R&B hit.  The album showed that Pickett was more than a soul shouter, and could play the role of accomplished balladeer as well.


Wilson's second album of 1968, 'Midnight Mover', also had considerable input from Pickett’s songwriting buddy, Bobby Womack, again, and they wrote the LP’s strutting title track together.  The Womack-co-penned "I Found A True Love" is also another high point on the LP with its raucous energy and Pickett’s blood-curdling screams.


Up to this point, all of Wilson Pickett’s Atlantic LPs had charted in the Top 10 of the US R&B albums, but 1969’s ‘Hey Jude,’ could only make #15.  Its title song was a mellow, soul-infused cover of The Beatles’ epic 1968 ballad, complete with the "Na-Na-Na" sing-along chorus at the end, with Pickett wailing over the top like a banshee.  The growing influence of rock can be felt on an energized cover of Steppenwolf’s counterculture anthem, "Born To Be Wild", which expressed a sentiment that the volatile Wilson Pickett could no doubt relate to.  Another highlight of the album is Duane Allman's guitar.  
Fun fact: at one point during the sessions, Duane dosed the water cooler with mescaline.


1970’s ‘Right On’ album also found Wilson tackling rock with Jimi Hendrix’s ‘Hey Joe’, and pop in the form of The Archies' "Sugar Sugar", which some critics and fans perceived as a sign that the singer was losing his way.


Just when Wilson Pickett’s career seemed to be losing momentum and direction, he unleashed a masterpiece in the shape of 'In Philadelphia' recorded under the direction of rising production duo, Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff, who had produced hits for Jerry Butler in the late-’60s and would go on to found Philadelphia International Records in 1972.  In terms of its production and lush orchestral arrangements, 'In Philadelphia' was eminently more sophisticated than his previous LPs.  Yielding the memorable hits "Engine No. 9" and the searing ballad, "Don’t Let The Green Grass Fool You", it proved to be one of Pickett’s most cohesive artistic statements and still sounds potent today.


The final album in the collection is 1972’s 'Don’t Knock My Love', which mopped up earlier singles, 1971’s R&B chart-topping title cut and the top 10 hit, "Call My Name, I’ll Be There".  The album also included an R&B reconfiguration of British blues-rockers Free’s "Fire & Water"

After this, Wilson Pickett moved to the RCA label in 1973, but it signalled the start of an artistic decline from which he never truly recovered.  When the disco era came along, it put a stop to any chances of a full-blown career renaissance.


Link
https://workupload.com/file/SHUJnwBwrv6

12 comments:

  1. No question? Well, guys, in this break let's reminisce our road trips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually post the link the morning after the question. Tomorrow morning I'll be exceeding the speed limit on I-95.

      Delete
  2. First road trip trip to Canada (from Orange County California) was with an ex girlfriend around January 1999. Fell in love with Vancouver.

    On the way home, we got up very early to catch the first ferry over to Vancouver Island. Weather was really awful and after stopping to get some gas somewhere near the USA border, we decided to skip the ferry and drive straight to Seattle.

    In the pitch black, back on the freeway we hit a patch of black ice and spun off the road at 70mph. Car rolled and ended up in a huge ditch off farmland. I was unconscious (hit my head) and the car was filling up inside with the dirty water. My ex girlfriend pulled my head out of the water (saved my life).

    I woke up in an ambulance covered in filth and upset that the two paramedics were paying me more attention to me than her. One said "I wish I could show you what you look like" (covered in mud and blood)

    - Jon in Cali

    ps

    Thanks Babs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Babs. Have a great road trip. Use sunscreen. Not sure about Boca, but throughout most of Florida, the grouper is delicious. Have fun, stay safe, try to behave. Thanks for Wilson Pickett, Babs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have tons o'fun, Babs. The Wicked Wicked Pickett is a great send off! Road trips:

    1. At 16 riding the Dog from BRLA to Vicksburg because I had the 3.50USD (if I remember correctly) to get that far where I spent the night at the home of a gal I had a crush on, hitchhiking from Vicksburg to Greenville where my friend lived, and then making the poor guy drive me to Clarksdale where Highway 61 and Highway 49 cross because Robert Johnson ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. We were not brave enough to go at midnight. His kind parents gave me 10USD to get the bus back to BRLA and away from their kid.

    2. At 19 I hitchhiked from Austin to Tuscon to see a gal I thought I was in love with...I thought I was never gonna get out of Texas; the road did, indeed, go on forever. Turned out she had taken up with my former roommate, which was an unpleasant surprise. She very kindly--and guiltily, I suppose--bought me a plane ticket back to Austin, which was much better than hitchhiking back.

    3. The "winter" of 1987-88 I had several adventurous road trips in Nicaragua, riding, at various times, buses, trains, trucks, and in one case for several days a horse (pro tip: if someone asks you if you can ride a horse and you really can't, just don't. Do not). The most epic was up in the north where the "Contra War" was still going on. A lot of Nicaraguans were very kind to me.

    I'll spare you a bad Austin punks band's "tour" of West Texas (Midland, Odessa, Lubbock, etc) in a failing van including walking checks and sleeping on and under picnic tables at rest stops or 6 of us dropping acid in Tucson to drive 3-4 hours up to Flagstaff for a concert and ending up at Red Rocks just outside of Denver, just another 8-9 hours, nbd, casual, for no real reason and then just turning around and driving back...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Back in 2018, my wife and I took a trip to the Yukon, Yellowknife, in the hopes of seeing the aurora (we did, and its spectacular). One day, we decided to just take the rental car and trek northward to just see was out there. Nothing. Infinite vastness of pure white, mountains and solitude. About 3 hours into the car excursion, in the proverbial middle of nowhere, a little oasis appears, which we thought should at least offer us the opportunity to fill the gas tank. While no gas station, it was an incredible small coffee shop/restaurant, which was owned by a guy from Italy, who resembled every stereotype imaginable as an extra on a Godfather movie (we were convinced that he was living in this area as a form of witness protection). After spending a couple of hours there, we inquired about the nearest gas station only to be informed that it was back where our journey had begun - 3 hours in the opposite direction. I do consider myself to be the only ex - New Orleanian who ever pushed an out of gas car, for approximately one mile to a gas station in Yellowknife.

    Enjoy the trip Babs, and thanks for the motherlode of Pickett!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The wife and me like to make a road trip out to Lake Mead every summer, we have a cabin right on the shore, back in the woods a way. We're kind of a fixture at Barney's Bar! I spend my days fishing for dinglefish off of Slippery Jack's pontoon. Grab a bucket of slipworms - just a couple bucks - and set back with a cooler of Bear Whiz© and I'm set!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm. Love me a plate of batter-fried dinglefish with a side of mountain oysters. My hats off to you sir, you have perfected the life of Riley.

      Delete
    2. Riley swung by last August asking for his life back. I referred him to his Uncle Bob, who runs the Bait n' Switch Shack (Splittail Squirters a house speciality!)

      Delete
  7. "Alright, Wilson, pick it"! Thanks for the treasure chest of Wilson Pickett together with my wishes for a relaxing hang in Roca!
    Road trips? Far too many to recount here, but one quickly comes to mind: A drive from Taxco near Mexico City across the Continental Divide and down to Acapulco. On our way out of Taxco we picked up a couple hitchhiking Swedes in our VW microbus. As we approached the Divide, the road got very narrow, and with lumber trucks flying around hairpin turns at ungodly speeds, it felt like a death-defying experience. The trucks had water cooled brakes, and it paid to stay back when following one – as the driver stomped on the brakes rusty steam and water would burst from the truck's wheels covering our windshield. There were stretches on the road as we neared the summit that were so narrow, that encountering a bus or truck meant, as the smaller vehicle, having to back up as the small vehicle and find some small purchase at the edge of the road. Occasionally Looking back at our Swedish riders in the rearview mirror, they looked even paler than when we had picked them up a few hours earlier. There were many other adventures that summer as we worked our way down to Panama, but for sheer terror that was a high point.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Babs! Hope you're enjoying your beach break, and that the return trip will be smooth sailing. Don't let pmac or Jon in Cali drive, but if you see Eric S. on the side of the road with his thumb out, give that poor man a ride.

    You may remember that I once mentioned a friend of mine who (like you) became a quantitative analyst on Wall Street after earning his PhD. Until the mid 2010's, he had an apartment in your childhood neighborhood on Pierrepont Street -- quelle coincidence!

    I was hoping you would have some advice. My friend Chris knows the owner of a vinyl bar in Seoul who will be visiting NYC in May, and wants to do some vinyl shopping. Chris asked for recommendations of record stores with deep inventories.

    The barman from Seoul will be looking for new wave and post-punk; soul jazz and jazz funk (from the 1960's and 70's); and US pressings of Brazilian music. He would prefer original pressings (rather than reissues). I wonder if he gets to write off his purchases as a business expense!

    I suggested Human Head (a record store I enjoyed during my last NYC trip, and you've mentioned that you have sold 78's to them.) Any other places you can recommend to this vinyl collector?

    ReplyDelete
  9. December 1970, we, students, decided to go south for the Holidays. 600 miles on the meter, passing by DC and entering Virginia... the combination of a "white carpet-falling snow-reduced speed", "Isn't It A Pity" never felt more orgyac.

    In Miami, surprise, there's no camping sites, and we found affordable lodging where other students already are, Fort Lauderdale. After seeing Johnny Winter, we changed plans, and decided to go at the bottom of the state, and visit Hemingway's paradise, Key West.

    It was a gorgeous 2 weeks, the daily evening entertainment was seeing the sun sinking in the Gulf Of Mexico.

    Funny, a few years ago, I witnessed the same phenomenon from "Sunset Cliffs" in San Diego. Yeah, for east coasters, it's a rarity.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete