Sidney Bechet (May 14, 1897 – May 14, 1959) was a pioneering American jazz saxophonist, clarinetist, and composer who was one of the first important soloists in jazz history. Born into a middle-class Creole family in New Orleans, he was largely self-taught and played in top local bands by his teenage years.
Sidney became a master of the soprano saxophone, an instrument he famously adopted while touring Europe in 1919. He was the first to give the soprano saxophone a prominent place in jazz, using its piercing sound to play lead lines usually reserved for trumpets.
His first sessions in 1923 predated those of Louis Armstrong, making him a primary architect of the jazz-swing solo style. Sidney was renowned for his distinctive, wide, and operatic vibrato, which gave his playing a powerful and impassioned tone. Sidney spent much of his later life in France, where he was revered as a cultural icon and known to Jazz fas as "le dieu" (the god).
In 1928 outside a Montmartre nightclub in Paris, Sidney was involved in a gun duel with fellow musician Gilbert "Little Mike" McKendrick, when he claimed Sidney played a wrong note. Sidney challenged Little Mike" to a duel, declaring, "Sidney Bechet never plays the wrong chord!". During the duel, a stray bullet from Sidney's gun hit a woman in the street, injuring her, though not fatally. He was arrested, spent 11 months in jail, and was subsequently deported back to the United States in 1929. The event highlighted Bechet's legendary temper, uncompromising musicality, and the volatility that defined his life and art.
In 1947, he returned to France permanently, and died of lung cancer in Paris on his 62nd birthday in 1959. He is buried in Garches, a suburb of Paris.
Sidney Bechet influenced generations of jazz musicians, including John Coltrane, who recorded the tribute "Blues to Bechet" on his 'Coltrane Plays the Blues' album from 1962.
This three-CD Mosaic Select set showcases a collection of sessions from the 1920s, ’30s, and ’40s, spanning various Columbia Records subsidiaries like Columbia, OKeh, Variety, and Vocalion. While some tracks hold significant historical importance, others are more obscure and marginal. Despite this, Sidney shines throughout, effortlessly transitioning from the deepest blues to the most trivial novelty numbers. His boundless energy, fertile imagination, and genuine warmth as a musician are evident in every track, from his inaugural recording session in 1923 (which serves as the opening track of Select) to a quartet performance from 1947, shortly before he permanently relocated to France.
I first heard Sidney, as a little girl, when my father played his 78 of "Petite Fleur", a record he played often.
For the freeload, what music did your parents play, and did you like it?


My father liked opera best. Still something I've never really appreciated (although I have tried). My mother liked popular music from the WW2 era - Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman (w/girl singers), and so on. I do like that music. The one album that they bought that was "new" was Gong Places by Herb Alpert.
ReplyDeleteMy father liked martial music, especially pipe bands, and Jim Reeves. Strangely, he also loved "Obla-di-obla-da" and "Cry to me". My mother loved all kinds of music, especially dance music from the forties, but she was a great fan of Mungo Jerry and SImon and Garfunkel too. They were very much part of the WW2 generation.
ReplyDeleteMom listened to jazz & some am radio. Miles, Bird, MJQ, Ray Charles, Cannonball, Monk, Billie, some Trane, Brubeck, Nina, Dizzy, Horace Silver & more. I have quite a few of her albums & they are surprisingly (to me) in really great shape. I've run them thru the spinclean process and listen to some of them routinely. They sound really great. I've always liked that music & early on I began exploring others that played with these musicians. There are a couple of her records that still have price stickers on them, Finger Poppin is 3.49 & sounds fantastic.
ReplyDeleteMy mom was 20 years when she had me, divorced when I was 2 & went back to live with her adoptive mom, my grandma - she liked swing & big band music but didn't own any records & relied on radio. She was more interested in tv. Thanks Babs
My parents played the 50-60s Vegas, easy listening, type of music. Steve and Edie, Johnny Mathis, and later on, Neil Diamond. I hated it then, can stomach some of it now.
ReplyDeleteMy parents never owned records, and only listened to radio, mostly for news & weather. While in college, I bought them a modest stereo & a few Glenn Miller & Benny Goodman LPs that they would play on occasion. I don't remember them ever buying their own music. I got into music through my brother & sister's late 50s & early 60s pop collections.
ReplyDeleteMy folx loved music, which I appreciated then and now. My father had a penchant for trumpet music of any kind (including baroque), jazz in general (with a fondness for piano), and blues, with a soft spot for James Brown. My mother liked Sinatra, Ella, and folk music, especially what might be thought of as Civil Rights Movement folk; she was on the Joni Mitchell train from the first album through Mingus, which she didn't love. She liked The Beatles but NOT The Stones and was not above singing along to "Lola" on the car radio, even after her mortified 12-year-old told her what it was about, or, similarly, "Walk on the Wild Side," which led to her smugly putting me in my place by handing me her copy of Algren's novel along with his _The Man with the Golden Arm_ as well as Burroughs' _Naked Lunch_... check and....mate. They were pretty damn hip, tbh, and in BRLA of all places. And parents. And I miss them both.
ReplyDelete"check and....mate". Love it! My grandpa threw out my mom's copy of "On The Road", but she saved her little square hardback of John Lennon's "In His Own Write" and gave it to me.
DeleteLooking forward to hearing this Bechet set, thanks Babs!
ReplyDeleteMom had country radio on all the time, I didn't dig it but got to know the popular songs by Crystal Gayle, Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers real well. One favourite of hers surprised me: Paul Robison.
- Jon in Cali
Both my parents were musical and all three of us sons have been involved in music for much of our lives. (My mom was a teletype operator in the women's Air Force by day and singer by night, which is where she met my dad, an Air Force RAF crewmember by day and trumpeter by night. Though it sounds romantic, sadly they weren't a great match and divorced while I was in my teens.) They both listened to all kinds of music with my father being more eclectic. While I was growing up in South Africa in the 1950s, he was a big fan of township jive as well as Zulu choral singing. Both of them loved opera and pretty much all western classical music with my father's taste extending to Asian art music, avant garde hazz, bebop, blues—you name it.. So as a kid, I pretty much heard everything under the sun, from British and American pop to Maria Callas to Charlie Parker as well as sounds from around the world. It was a great gift for which I continue to be grateful.
ReplyDeleteANON RF: My parents were, in my opinion, not interested much in music. The collection of about 10 LPs next to the Victrola included: 1 x Guy Lombardo; 2 x Lester Lanin (including "Goes Latin"); My Fair Lady OST; Songs For Swingin' Lovers; and lashings of foxtrots and cha-chas. Apart from the latter, I quite like some of it now (Sinatra big time), but at the time I couldn't stand any of it apart from My Fair Lady.
ReplyDeleteBombshelter Slim
ReplyDeleteI recall hearing Percy Faith a lot... finally my folks got with the 60's kick with "30 By Ella", which I still enjoy.
DeleteMy dad played Dixieland Jazz or as it is known today "Trad Jazz". Wilbur and Sidney DeParis, Buck Clayton, Satchmo, Danny Barker, Joe Murani ( both family friends) and so many more. There was always some swing and some blues shouters, but mostly NOLA based stuff. I loved it, and most of us kids (6) enjoyed it and listen to some today.
ReplyDeleteMy parents had a lot of records, which fascinated me. I spent a lot of time with their two Beatles albums (Revolver and Hey Jude -- for many years, I didn't know the latter was a compilation). My grandfather had a big jazz and classical collection (which I inherited), and my uncle was a jazz pianist (very much influenced by McCoy Tyner and Bill Evans). My folks also had comedy records: the Smothers Brothers, Bert & I, and Oscar Brand's Bawdy Songs & Backroom Ballads.
ReplyDeleteThey also loved Dionne Warwick, Roberta Flack, Phoebe Snow and Anita Baker. My parents are now 84. My dad likes the Cowboy Junkies, my mom loves Norah Jones and kd lang, and both of my folks dig Madeleine Peyroux and Bonnie Raitt.
My parents and grandparents also introduced me to the musical humor of PDQ Bach, Tom Lehrer, Spike Jones, and Victor Borge.
DeleteMy father LOVED Tom Lehrer--my mother was less amused, Reiner & Brooks 2000 Year Old Man, Woody Allen, Bill Cosby & George Carlin...he could do most of the Allen routines and often did and his children and grandchildren have helped spread "The Moose Story."
DeleteI wouldn't say either of my parents were particularly musically inclined but with Dad it was probably Bing Crosby and my mother a wider appreciation of the musicals of the 40's and 50's and I would happily watch them as a kid. They also had a few rock n' rolll records. Elvis, Eddie Cochran, Everly Brothers, Cliff Richard, Tommy Steele, Adam Faith and the likes and only this week I bought a Buddy Knox CD so those old recorded rubbed off on me. More pronounced still was the impact of the 'Cannon' EP's which appeared around 1962/3 and were 6 track covers of the latest hits. I cut my musical teeth on covers of the Stones, Kinks, Beatles and its 60's music that makes up the largest part of my collection today. Playing those Cannon EPs as a kid was the beginning of my fascination with the 60's.
ReplyDeleteFor anyone who is interested here's the Discogs link to Cannon Records
its helps if I post the link.....
Deletehttps://www.discogs.com/sell/list?master_id=1622087
This link is better
Deletehttps://www.discogs.com/label/215987-Cannon
My parents appreciated music and art, and food and wine, and reading. In each case (wine later, of course), they also went to some effort to involve their two children in that appreciation. If I don't have exactly the same tastes as they did, some is experience and some is that they allowed us the freedom to discover our own enjoyment (or to decide to ignore some things).
ReplyDeleteLPs were pretty important to them (although they both were also amateur musicians, my dad being by far the more-talented). The first Christmas present that was a big deal to me, in my memories, was actually an album by The Gateway Singers, "at the hungry i." This was a pretty standard trio of folk singers with guitars and a banjo, except they added a female gospel singer from Oakland, CA. So, they blended a Black voice and some of her repertoire in with their white folks ballads.
My parents also love opera, and Joan Baez, and a record of the Red Army Ensemble, directed by Colonel Boris Alexandrov.
I had the pleasure of digitizing and "de-clicking" quite a few of their LPs for my mother to listen to (she outlived my dad by almost 20 years). I listened to the Red Army's heroic chorus last month.
D in California
My parents did not play much music. Cliff, Elvis, Mario Lanza, Nana Mouskouri, Demis Roussos, and on the radio there was Labour Vitamins. The single most important song was by Armand - Ben Ik Te Min (Am I not good enough, because your pa drives a bigger car than mine) A song he use to sing and hum when he was at work and the bosses wife was always furious about that song. They did him in, in the end. He died before pension, and after that it became clear that his boss had never payd any pension plan for him, leaving my mother short of income.
ReplyDeleteLink
ReplyDeletehttps://workupload.com/file/5haK7wPCbH4
It wasn't what they liked in our household but what they hated, which was everything after 1955. My father liked Benny Goodman and Lu Watters And The Yerba Buena Jazz Band, mom never expressed a liking for anything pop but liked classical and opera.
ReplyDeleteBut they LOATHED the Beatles, hated the Rolling Stones, detested the Grateful Dead...I mean, REALLY hated all of it and never missed an opportunity to let me know that I was an idiot for liking any of it.
My dad was a jazzbo, and had dated Kay Starr in his pre-married days. With age he came to like country, so I remember Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison and San Quentin more than I remember any of the jazzy stuff, tho I love 'Pete Fountain's New Orleans' (1959), which contained what must've been one of his two favorite songs, since he whistled Pete's arrangement of 'A Closer Walk With Thee' all the time. He shocked us all circa 1970 when he professed his love of Janis Joplin, and Pearl contained his other favorite song, 'Me And Bobby McGee', which he sang all the time. I believe that being a Kristofferson song led him to the outlaw country he liked for the rest of his days. Ma liked what she called 'long-hair music' (classical), but also had Lead Belly in her collection and Bizet's 'Carmen'. She looked down on rock until my sister's 16th birthday, when a band played live in the house and she was forced to listen to it. She fell hard for it, immediately falling in love with Alice Cooper, Allman Brothers and especially T Rex. This second-life conversion never waned, and I made cassettes and CDs for her with everything from the Ramones to Pizzicato Five to Webb Wilder, along with the 1930s-1940s stuff I'd gotten into that she had some recollection of, before her death at 84 in 2012.
ReplyDeleteThey also introduced me to Spike Jones, George Carlin (pre-hippie 'Take-Offs & Put-Ons' is still my favorite comedy record), Rowan & Martin, and Bill Cosby via records.
C in California
Thanks for the very cool post!
DeleteI'll do a Kay Starr feature, who is criminally more or less forgotten.
Ah, you inspire one to wax about the past with your stellar storytelling, Babs! I noticed your post brought out a lot of beyond-the-usual responses. Moms and dads are the best!
DeleteC in California
My father did not listen to music. because his ears were damaged ("souvenir" from WW II). My mother sang as a child in a choire, and so she loved classical music. Later she listened to different styles. She also tryed to understand the music which i listened as young boy.
ReplyDelete