Friday, March 6, 2026

Lee Morgan – 'Search For The New Land'

During summer break from Caltech in 1966, I was back home in Brooklyn Heights.  On a hot humid August Saturday, Denise "The Grease" and I were sitting on the stoop of "The Grease Family" home.

A white Lincoln Continental 4-door convertible, with a red interior pulls up, and out gets Denise's brother, Vinny aka "Vinny The One".  Denise tells him, "We saved you a parking space, Vin!"  Vinny smiled and said, "How's my favorite girls doin'?" and kissed Denise and me twice, once on each cheek.  He then asked us, "What are you ladies, doin' today?"  Denise told him, "We're goin' over to Gennaro's for slices (of pizza)." "Nice!" said Vinny, and then, said "The slices are on me", with that Vinny reach into front right pants pocket and pulled out a "wad" of cash held together with a thick and wide purple rubber band (the kind used to hold together bunches of broccoli and asparagus in grocery stores).  He thumbed through fifties until he reached the twenties and gave us twenty dollars each.  

In 1966, the median annual income for families in the U.S. was approximately $7,400, so 
twenty dollars back then was what we mathematicians commonly referred to as "A chunk of change".  Vinny went in the house, and Denise said, "Let's get some slices, and go shopping!".  So we headed over to Gennaro's.

Gennaro's was a pizza parlor in downtown Brooklyn, and a short bus ride away from Brooklyn Heights.  There was no "Gennaro", it was owned by a guy with the nickname of "Joey Apizza", who was part of Denise's father's crew. (Apizza is pronounced "Ah-beetz" in the archaic Neapolitan dialect for pizza)

My father used to joke, 
"Gennaro's is the most successful laundromat… I mean pizzeria, in the entire universe… .at least on paper, anyway."  Be that as it may, Gennaro's, had the best pizza around, and in Brooklyn that's saying something.

At Gennaro's "Joey Apizza" greeted us, "Denise… Babs, 'hawaya'?, and told Denise, "Vinny called and said 'youse' were stoppin' by."  He then looked at me and asked, "You heard from your brother, Babs?" I told him, "We got a letter last week, he's good.", and "Joey Apizza" said "Next time you write to him, tell 'em I was asking about him, and tell him to watch his ass." (at the time, my brother was in Vietnam)

Denise ordered the slices,"Give us two slices with sausage, two with 'roni' (pepperoni) and two large cokes, please Joey".  Now here's what my father was talking about: when Joey rang up our order on his cash register, he said, "Lets see now you got two large cheese pies (pizzas), two large with roni, two large with anchovies, two large with sausage, three orders spaghetti marinara, three side orders of meatballs, four large salads, and two Caesar salads.  Will there be anything else?" Denise, who knew the deal, laughed and said "Yeah, you better give us some garlic bread, and a dozen cannoli, too Joey".   "Joey Apizza" said, "You got it, kid…OK, with New York City sales tax, that's gonna' be fifty-three dollars…outta' fifty-five, that's two dollars change.", and gave us a dollar each.  "Joey Apizza" winked, we laughed.

While we were sitting at a table eating our slices, four guys in their teens walked in.  One of them looked at Denise and made a "smooching" sound, another one looked at me, made the "thumbs up" hand gesture, and while rotating his thumb, said to me, "Hey baby, you want 'some-a-dis'?"  I told him, "Come back when you reach puberty, junior." "Yeah, when your friggin' balls drop." said Denise rolling her eyes.  Joey laughed and said to the four guys, "I guess they told you, and now I'm tellin' 'youse' guys, get the fuck outta my pizza parlor!" They left lickety-split.

Standing in front of his cash register 
"Joey Apizza" said to himself, "Let's see now, those four 'stunods' ordered two large cheese pies, two large with roni, two large with anchovies…" (Stunod is Italian-American slang for stupid, "numbnuts" and "idiot" etc.)

A few minutes later, Joey brought us some 
Tortoni (amaretto ice cream, topped with toasted coconut, and a maraschino cherry), and said, "The Tortoni is on me." and snickered as he walked away.

Across the street from Gennaro's was a drug store with a makeup counter, and next door to that, was a record store called "Sweetest Sounds".  Denise went into the drug store and came out with enough makeup for a Cecil B. DeMille epic, and I went into Sweetest Sounds, and came out with the recently released


‘Search for the New Land,’ produced by Alfred Lion and recorded by Rudy Van Gelder at his studio in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, was recorded on February 15, 1964.  However, it wasn’t released until August 1966.

All the "sidemen" are legends in their own right, along with Lee Morgan's trumpet are: Wayne Shorter on tenor saxophone, Grant Green on guitar, Herbie Hancock on piano, Reggie Workman on bass, and Billy Higgins on drums.

The album was recorded two months after 'The Sidewinder', which was a commercial success, and Lee Morgan enjoyed a hugely popular and lucrative chart hit in the form of the soulful, boogaloo-laden title track.  'Search for the New Land' finds Lee Morgan in a more meditative and exploratory mood, reflecting the social tension and disenchantment of the Civil Rights Movement era.  

In the music business, as in life, timing is everything.  Blue Note Records owner Alfred Lion was looking for a more commercial sound not unlike 'The Sidewinder'so priorities and release dates quickly changed.  'Search For The New Land' was shelved until 1966, when Alfred thought the climate was right for its release.

Search for the New Land is widely considered jazz trumpeter Lee Morgan’s most profound and artistically ambitious Blue Note Records statement.


Today's freeload is a Japanese 2024 limited edition reissue as part of the Blue Note 85 series.  This is a UHQCD, remastered by Kevin Gray. Needless to say, the sonics are sweet.

For the freeload, tells about friends (best or otherwise) you had as a teenager.

12 comments:

  1. Forget a autobiography, you need a series. Netflix? Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friends: For almost 55 years there has been a most unlikely troika with me through thick and thin--a gal from North Louisiana, a guy from North Mississippi, and a guy from NOLA. I don't quite owe'm my life, but maybe kinda. For almost as long, junior year of high school (so over 50 years ago), the most badass woman I'd ever met or knew until I met the woman to whom I am married and even then she gives her a run. She was long, lean, and lanky, had legs covered in barb-wire scars, stole all manner of things (mostly records) for me in a giant purse which she also used as a suitcase when the occasion demanded. When I brought the woman I was gonna marry home for the first time, this gal drove about 300 miles, walked in the door of my parents home, scooped her up, and they disappeared for about 4 hours. Upon return she informed us that she was acceptable, turned around, and drove 300 miles back home. To this day I have no idea what they talked about; neither will tell. But phew.

      Delete
  2. ANON RF: I think it's time to shout out to a guy who was one of my greatest mentors when it came to music / culture. His name was Dwight, but many years ago he remade himself as JD (I don't doubt he regrets that now that there is VP JD Pants). He was and still is about a year older than I but we were in the same class in Jr and SR High. He more of an "outsider" than I, but very cool if you knew him like I did -- a guy full of ideas and open-mindedness musically.

    He had Spike Jones, Sister Sourire, Bob & Ray, Cream, Big Bill Broonzey, Traffic, Hendrix, Woody Herman, and so much more in his collection. (Never too big on Soul, but loved Blues). The year Woodstock came out (so he was 18), I came up to his bedroom and he said "listen to this" and played 'Goin' Home' note for note on his guitar. Very gifted. We came up with a trio of him on guitar, me on bass, and a guy named Doug on drums, and dammit, we weren't at all bad.

    Four years earlier, we we both into James Bond, Marx Bros, Abbott and Costello, creature features, Famous Monsters, Batman, Man from UNCLE... We would go to the local movie theatre and he would tape the films on his Norelco, and we would listen to Goldfinger and Dr No over and over.

    He loved Steve Allen, Chuck McCann, Boris Karloff... And WONDERFULLY, he met all his heroes and got to know them. In the case of Karloff, he had a long correspondence with the man's daughter I believe. In other words, he sought out and linked up with his heroes, something I would never dream of.

    He's been fighting various lousy diseases for the last few years, but is still a smart and interesting guy when I reach out. He made such an impact on me and my lifelong interests.

    Dwight: Love ya, man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ANON RF: Oh yes, and he loved Lee Morgan.

      Delete
  3. I remember an amorphous, shifting cloud of associates rather than any one particular friend (what TYPOT would call a "collective") but John Shanahan is particularly clear. He was an excellent guitarist, in the John Martyn style. He used to turn up at the Kongoni Coffee bar on Saturday afternoons when we all crammed into the tiny booths making a frothy coffee last for hours, with a bunch of albums he'd liberated from Boots The Chemist. They had a rack close to the elevator doors which might as well have had a "PLEASE STEAL ME" sign. Anyway, he wasn't selective, and he'd pass around the ones he didn't want, including a copy of Burnt Weeny Sandwich which I grabbed with unseemly haste. Looking back, it was our internet. We gossiped, lolled out loud, shared stuff, and met up again later. John later cut an album, Dance Of Flies, and moved to Germany, where he made some money gigging (which is more than the rest of us did).

    Thanks for the music, Babs, which (very unusually) I'll grab. You had me at Grant Green.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up with a bunch of juvenile delinquents on the same block. When I was 16 I had my own car that I had worked nights/weekends to save up to buy (1966 Ford Fairlane that was junk, but it ran and it was mine). The summer I bought it, I had to let it sit parked for awhile due to shoulder surgery that left me unable to switch gears (was a manual). One of my jd associates offered to go pick up some things for me if I let him borrow the car. Later that day there was a knock at the door and 2 police officers with a stern look on their faces greeted me. My "friends" had used my vehicle in an attempt to hold up the neighborhood S&L. The geniuses actually went through the drive through, and pulled out a BB gun. The JD driving my car got scared because none of the 3 in the vehicle were wearing disguises, and the woman working the drive through recognized him and he drove off before anything further could be done in connection with the heist. All 3 were arrested about 30 minutes later. By the time my shoulder healed to where I could drive again, thankfully my car was released from the police pound. The 3 jds did not do any jail time as a result of the "heist" but they were given a form of supervised probation. 2 of the 3 did ultimately do substantial jail time due to other offenses (1 was involved in a counterfeit money scheme and the other killed 2 people while driving drunk). The 3rd guy ultimately got elected sheriff in a suburban parish (county to the rest of the US).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to thank everyone for taking the time, to tell us these wonderful stories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Grease and I have been friends since the first day of the third grade, when we sat next each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do I envision a new adult sit com on one of the cable networks: The Grease and I.

      Delete
  7. Link
    https://workupload.com/file/VMppfG6r67G

    ReplyDelete
  8. Going to high school in the San Gabriel Valley just east of LA, I got to know David Olivares. He was one of the brightest kids in school but didn't hang with the geeks or the nerds. Despite acing every class, he was far more interested in cars– especially lowered Chevys – and girls. David had somehow wangled a gig working the desk nights at the Alexandria hotel in downtown LA. I'm pretty sure he was taking uppers by day to manage high school. But the night gig made him good money both in terms of an hourly paycheck plus tips from the railroadmen who frequented the hotel, a notorious hot sheet operation during what had been a rather grand hotel's decline. Later, David won a scholarship to UCLA partly funded by the California governor's scholarship program, which gave the student the cash directly. He promptly went out and bought a ruby red Impala that over the next couple of years he transformed into an ultimate cruising machine. Sadly I lost track of David over the years and I've often wondered how he has prospered (or not) sense.
    I loved your reminiscence, Babs. I could smell the pizza.
    By the way, for those who have may have missed it, there's a great documentary about Lee Morgan and the wife who ended up shooting him on the bandstand and their singular relationship. It's titled I Called Him Morgan and I found it absolutely fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My friend James moved to San Francisco (from Orange County) in our late teens and we hadn't heard from him in awhile when he randomly shows up out of nowhere...He started telling stories and I said "WAIT" and grabbed a video camera to tape his funny/sad stories because I didn't know when I would see him again.

    One of the stories has him jumping out the window of a three story building trying to fly or something...(drugs) - hurt himself pretty bad.

    So, he disappears again and I get a job in Canada for 20+ years.

    Just prior to that I was taking an experimental film class at Art Center in Pasadena. For one of the assigned projects I ended up using that James tape (link below).

    Cut to, I'm back in Southern California and trying to reconnect with my old pals...found James and showed him the short film...he loved it, forgot even doing it, and didn't mind that in the film voice over I had said I'd heard he had died of an overdose.

    At the Art Center critique after the screening, people were all bummed out 'cause James seemed like such a cool guy and it was a shame he had died.

    When they were done moaning about it I confessed that I didn't know he was dead, I just hadn't seen him awhile...then they got angry about the deception! Hey, relax...it's an experimental film class!

    - Jon in California

    https://vimeo.com/675700573


    ReplyDelete