Sunday, March 8, 2026

Before The Blues: The Early American Black Music Scene (Volumes 1-3)


'Before The Blues: The Early American Black Music Scene' is a three-volume compilation series released by Yazoo Records in 1996.  The series explores the diverse roots of African American music, featuring classic recordings from the 1920s and 1930s that preceded the standardization, of The Blues, e.g., 8-bar, 12-bar, 16-bar blues, 32-bar, and minor blues forms.
 

Produced by Richard Nevins and Don Kent, this collection highlights an era when blues had not yet fully separated from related genres like ragtime, religious music, and breakdown dances. 

Historical aspects aside, this collection is ridiculously entertaining, and all things considered, the audio is pretty terrific.


Volume 1: Focuses on ragtime, modal songs, and early religious music. Key tracks include "Bamalong Blues" by Andrew and Jim Baxter, "Stack O'Lee Blues" by Mississippi John Hurt, and "Run Mollie Run" by Henry Thomas.



Volume 2: Explores jug bands and country blues roots. Key tracks include Charley Patton ("Mississippi Boweavil Blues"), Blind Willie Johnson ("Nobody's Fault But Mine"), and Geeshie Wiley ("Last Kind Words Blues").



Volume 3: Continues the exploration with key tracks from Memphis Minnie ("Frisco Town"), Blind Blake ("Champaign Charlie Is My Name"), and Barbecue Bob ("Black Skunk Blues").

For the freeload, tell us what music you listen to that isn't Blues, Jazz, or Rock.

31 comments:

  1. Johnny Flynn, Beethoven, Messaien, Tallis, Haydn, Bach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Franco, Chris Hinze, Zoviet France

    ReplyDelete
  3. Folk, Classical, Reggae, Latin, Brazilian for a start

    ReplyDelete
  4. Almost forgot - Country AND Western

    ReplyDelete
  5. Electronica/Ambient/Sound-Art, Prog/Synth, Disco, Folk, bits of (largely Modern) Classical, Caribbean things, old school RocknRoll and RnB, Rockabilly, C&W, Latin things, naff stuff that puts me in a good mood eg Black Lace

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kronos Quartet, Bluegrass (especially following Peter Rowan since his early days with Bill Monroe), a lot of music, that is badly mislabeled as "Worldmusic" (Le Mystere des Voix Bulgares, Youngchen Lhamo and a lot of Mali musicians, that play the cora and guitar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All kinds of African subgenres, especially music from Senegal, Mali, Zimbabwe, and South Africa. Lots of gospel, in particular quartets and quintets of the 50s and 60s. Mashups of all kinds such as John McLaughlin's work with Shakti and the Ravi Shankar/Yehudi Menuhin LP, West Meets East. as well as the all the different forms of Hindustani and Carnatic art music.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Various African varieties, Celtic, Norteño, a wide selection of Indonesian styles, real country music (don't get me started!)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and pre-digital Reggae, calypso, vallenato, zydeco, it never ends, does it?

      Delete
  9. The Brandenburg Concertos, Rhapsody in Blue, the Goldberg Variations and some Sebelius. Contemplative things for contemplative times.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fado, choro, classical, BPM (Brazilian Popular Music) and a little opera. Depending on how you define jazz, I listen to a ton of bossa and samba.

    ReplyDelete
  11. a lot of Cajun music, some classical, fair amount of bluegrass, more C&W than I'd care to admit, Western Swing, music we could prolly fit into a square but I think of as New Orleans music

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bluebeat/rocksteady/ska & some of the reggae that grew out of those; classical; pre-pop country/western; the old, what-I-call folk/rural music of your current offering.
    C in California

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like this collection.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I already know I will! :)
      C in California

      Delete
  13. Classic (most instrumental) - old one like Bach, Monteverdi, Handel and newer one like Schubert and Mahler. Also latin and arab folk music.
    There's too much music and less time to hear...

    ReplyDelete
  14. the sound of one hand clapping . . . -Muzak McMusics

    ReplyDelete
  15. Moondog, western swing, zydeco, some reggae, Cuban music, Fripp & Eno minimalist music, North African desert music, Mulatu Astatke, a little bit this & a little bit of that, & a little other, Nancarrow piano rolls, Mexican & Mariachi music, some classical too. Thanks Babs

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fado
    Joujouka & Gnawa (Morocco)
    Brazil (MPB era)
    Erik Satie
    Almost everything on Constellation Records (Montreal)
    Music from the Sahel
    Los Indios Tabajares
    Mariachi
    Romani - especially Tony Gatlif soundtracks
    Popol Vuh
    Mary Lattimore
    Luluc
    Muslimgauze
    Gavin Bryars
    Laraaji
    Manu Chao
    Jean Leloup
    Hildegard von Bingen
    Badawi
    Pascal Comelade
    Ana D.

    ...I could go on and on and on...

    - Jon in Cali

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stravinsky, Brahms, Messian, Indian classical music. Y'know, there's a lot of music that that isn't blues, jazz, or rock, don't 'cha?

    ReplyDelete
  18. From the core, blues-rock, it's 360... in all directions. Actually, from more than 20,000 radio stations accessible on the net, I have a playlist of roughly 100 stations in iTunes that I listen to, randomly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. ANON RF: Classical; Celtic (like the Chieftans); Ska & Reggae; Stax & Motown; Raga; (has anyone thought of Raga-Reggae?) et al...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Englandana from the 60s (Fairport, Jansch, Renbourn etc.)
    Great American Songbook (the great composers)
    Reggae and dub (stunning stuff incoming on th' IoF©)
    Ambient/electronica
    Bossa/fado/Latin Americana
    Pop
    Beethoven, Mozart, Shakespeare, all dose guys, like, never - dat longhair stuff? Yeesh.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Link
    https://workupload.com/file/cHrGGbEZyEL

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for this. On filing it under "Yazoo Records" I found this -

    https://workupload.com/file/yrpWAA6RGRu

    Which is the white equivalent. 8 CDs in fair nick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was featured here last June, but thanks for the thought!
      https://babssez.blogspot.com/2025/06/various-artists-times-aint-like-they.html

      Delete
    2. Oh dear. Wot a fule.

      Delete
  23. In the eighties, I borrowed a few books from the library about the music of that era. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I listen to a lot of alt.country. Old Crow Medicine Show, Molly Tuttle, and Billy Strings are favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well, assuming pop is also out of the framework, I guess classical is the first choice, and lately is choral works. I am particularly fascinated with the works of Palestrina, but one thing I find amusing is look into the Grammys nominees, in the categories that aren't the obvious one. And in the classical and choral works you can fin amazing gems. Reggae is also a possible choice (Marley, Tosh, the classics). Oh, and brazilian popular music! I love Gilberto Gil (you must listen to Kaya N'Gan Daya, the album he made of Marley songs), also Caetano (and her sister, Maria Bethania), Gal Costa, Djavan. There is so much wonderful music out there, thankyou God. And thank you Babs, for the link and the stories I love so much. Best from Argentina!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Apologies for the dozen or so of typos...english is clearly not my mother tongue...

    ReplyDelete