So just what did Babs get up to on her road trip?
Speculation over at False Memory Foam was…
Mr Grimsdale wrote:
"worrying about the cost of petrol, eating overpriced crap from the garage... "
Speculation over at False Memory Foam was…
Mr Grimsdale wrote:
"worrying about the cost of petrol, eating overpriced crap from the garage... "
Farquhar Throckmorton III replied:
… read that as "garbage".
… read that as "garbage".
Swear to Dog, I had the same dyslexic moment.
vincentsear wrote:
"haute cuisine and truck stops."
Sounds like Steely Dan lyrics
Bombshelter Slim wrote:
"Asking for directions from strangers and arriving at her destination safely and ahead of schedule!
"
We actually did arrive safely and ahead of schedule.
When my husband Jerry and I did road trips, no matter where we were in the continental United States, for "shits and giggles" Jerry would ask strangers "Do you know the way to Passaic, New Jersey?" followed by, "What time does the police station close around here?" On toll roads and bridges, at the toll booth, he’d pay the toll for the car behind us, take off really fast, and the car behind us would try to catch up to us, to see who we were.
When my husband Jerry and I did road trips, no matter where we were in the continental United States, for "shits and giggles" Jerry would ask strangers "Do you know the way to Passaic, New Jersey?" followed by, "What time does the police station close around here?" On toll roads and bridges, at the toll booth, he’d pay the toll for the car behind us, take off really fast, and the car behind us would try to catch up to us, to see who we were.
mcultice wrote:
"No good, no doubt."
No shit.
Andy T wrote:
"Blue pills and red pills x
"
Sativa gummies for the drive to and from Florida. Spliffs and frozen drinks on the beach.
Martinis, Negronis, red Bordeaux, white Burgundy and spliffs in the evening.
cityghost96 wrote:
"Dodging those pesky drones.
"
Freaking drones!
notBob wrote:
"Getting a mild sunburn & a major buzz.
"
Who doesn't like nice tan lines and a major buzz?
Farquhar Throckmorton III wrote:
"
Listening to Andre Kostelanetz And His Orchestra on th' Pinto 8-track.
"
Have you been talking to Sundar Pichai again?
Farquhar Throckmorton III wrote:
"Picking up Rutger Hauer on a rainswept road at night.
"
I'm picturing Denise "The Grease" telling John Ryder (as we say in New York) 'where it's at':
"You're gonna sit in the back between Patty and Michelle. You’re gonna act like a perfect gentleman at all times, or I’ll pop a cap in your dick quicker than you can say…um…um…yo Babs what’s that word you use for dick?" "Do you mean Schwanzstücker, Denise?" "Yeah that’s it…quicker than you can say schwanzstücker with…um …um…yo Babs what’s those two little dots over the u called?" "Umlauts, Denise." "Yeah that’s it…I’ll pop a cap in your dick quicker than you can say schwanzstücker with friggin’ umlauts! Capiche Blondie?"
"You're gonna sit in the back between Patty and Michelle. You’re gonna act like a perfect gentleman at all times, or I’ll pop a cap in your dick quicker than you can say…um…um…yo Babs what’s that word you use for dick?" "Do you mean Schwanzstücker, Denise?" "Yeah that’s it…quicker than you can say schwanzstücker with…um …um…yo Babs what’s those two little dots over the u called?" "Umlauts, Denise." "Yeah that’s it…I’ll pop a cap in your dick quicker than you can say schwanzstücker with friggin’ umlauts! Capiche Blondie?"
Eric S. Wrote:
I'm hoping Denise the Grease is along for the ride...as for Rutger in the rain, I imagine he and Babs will watch the attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion and C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate....like tears in rain. But no dying, we need her. kbaithx.
"The Grease" rode shotgun.
I’d hang with Rutger and "dose" our drinks (200 µg each) just for laughs while watching those glittering C-beams
Bambi wrote:
"Apart from chilling at the waters edge Babs will be on the beach
perfecting the Wicked Pickett Soul Train dance at a breathtaking speed -
a girls gotta keep fit."
A girl does indeed, Bambi.
[False Memory Foam is a music blog, I highly recommend. It's good clean fun - Ed]
Be that as it may…
Traffic's 'On The Road' was originally released (as double LP on initial European releases, and a single U.S. release) on the Island Records label in 1973. The album was recorded in Frankfurt Germany, on Traffic's Spring tour of 1973, and captures their extended, jazz-fusion-influenced sound perfectly.
The lineup includes core Traffic members Steve Winwood on vocals, guitar, and piano. Jim Capaldi on drums, vocals, and percussion. Chris Wood on saxophone and flute. Backing musicians are Reebop Kwaku Baah on congas and percussion, and the Muscle Shoals rhythm section: Roger Hawkins on drums, David Hood on bass, and Barry Beckett on keyboards.
The freeload is a remastered limited edition SHM-CD, released for the Japanese domestic market in 2008 as part of USM Japan's 'Rock Legend Series'. It has excellent sonics.
As a bonus, I'm adding
The lineup includes core Traffic members Steve Winwood on vocals, guitar, and piano. Jim Capaldi on drums, vocals, and percussion. Chris Wood on saxophone and flute. Backing musicians are Reebop Kwaku Baah on congas and percussion, and the Muscle Shoals rhythm section: Roger Hawkins on drums, David Hood on bass, and Barry Beckett on keyboards.
The freeload is a remastered limited edition SHM-CD, released for the Japanese domestic market in 2008 as part of USM Japan's 'Rock Legend Series'. It has excellent sonics.
As a bonus, I'm adding
This is the 2CD deluxe edition.
For the freeload, what's street traffic usually like in your neck of the woods?



Commuter traffic regularly stacks up right in front of our house mornings and late afternoons.
ReplyDeleteI'm lucky to be able to go to work by foot (for most of my working hours), so I'm avoiding that...
Welcome back Babs! On my (very) early morning cycling rides through the Nonthaburi countryside, the traffic is usually OK, especially during school holidays. However, local (street & other) dogs can be very very aggressive, recently I got bitten for the 4th time... As for Bangkok, traffic usually varies from OK-ish to dreadfull, thank God for the elevated and underground trains!
ReplyDeleteLiving in the casco antiquo (old town) section of Seville, and its century old streets, traffic is not what the rest of the "modern" world endures. The streets were laid out when feet and horses were the modes of transportation. But, since we are literally in the middle of Semana Santa, and the endless processions of the hermanidads (brotherhoods), there is a ton of traffic until Easter morning. The population of Seville is around 780,000. This week its 2.3 million. I hear the clacking of suitcase casters across cobblestone streets in my nightmares.
ReplyDeleteBTW - hope your trip was better than the odes to it on FMF. I had this live lp when it was first released, but the sound quality was horrible. Looking forward to the new audio dynamics.
ReplyDeleteWelcome back!
ReplyDeleteBiggest traffic concern here is kids on electric bikes going way too fast on the wrong side of the street and on the sidewalks...
Welcome back Babs.
ReplyDeleteNo traffic here. Out in the country, quiet street maybe 200 yards away. Only traffic jam is when the cows escape.
Yay! Welcome back--as you can tell, you were missed. In Georgepatch traffic on "our" side of the interstate was slim and none, which was nice. Now in Silver Spring, our li'l spot has low traffic, but, y'all, Maryland drivers. WTF? So bad. In Texas drivers were aggressive, armed, but really good drivers. Here they are super aggro, seemingly unarmed, and just seriously bad drivers.
ReplyDeleteWelcome home Babs! Hope your time away was great, sounds like it was.
ReplyDeletePedestrian traffic, old timers out for a walk with or without pets, same for youngers, a few runners. Kids heading for the corner store in 2's & 3's & occasionally larger groups, a few bikes, a few electric scooters, used to be skateboards but not so much these days. ATV's tear up & down the street sometimes. & most cars speeding by, day & night, either on their way to work or home from it or whatever other errands they might have. Thanks Babs
Babs, I'm sure there was a time when your stated "itinerary" would have raised doubts about your timely return, glad to see you back! Traffic? In our town it can be semi-sparse except for the twice daily rush-quarter hour. Traffic? The band? An early purchase of mine was their first album, which in Canada was titled "Traffic Reaping" which featured a.) cover pic of the band sitting on a combine, perhaps somewhere in Berkshire, and b.) one of the shittiest vinyl pressings I have ever encountered. Luckily (?) 2 tracks escaped unscathed: Dear Mister Fantasy and No Face No Name No Number. Looking forward to hearing upgrades of today's featured albums!
ReplyDeleteWelcome back Babs.
ReplyDeleteWe live on the main road between the two biggest towns in our region close to one of the town centres with all joys of blaring radios and muffler free exhausts that comes with it .
During rush hour, its snarled up both morning and evening. Add to that they are building a new big supermarket 200 yards down the road due to open in a few weeks so the roads have been closed regularly, there are temporary traffic lights to add to the 2 sets there already are and roadworks a plenty with construction traffic further complicating the situation. No doubt they'll be putting in a new road system at the supermarket turn off as well (oh joy) so its been chaos for months now but hopefully it won't be for too much longer before things get back to some sort of normal and at least we'll have a supermarket easily within walking distance....
Coming back from my local "Seven" just now, a distance of maybe 1.5km, I passed the following:
ReplyDelete1 Elephant
5 Dogs (lying in the road, which they own)
1 Electric tricycle loaded with a Grandma and two dogs
Some chickens
The elephant was a little unusual, the rest was the standard rush hour nightmare.
My cobblestoned street in the Tribeca section of Manhattans is only a few blocks long, so it's surprisingly quiet for Lower Manhattan.
ReplyDeleteLink
ReplyDeletehttps://workupload.com/file/NPwnBKVay3w
I'm not saying that the potholes near my house are deep, but the last time I went into one I saw Pat Boone, James Mason, and a Swedish guy with a duck!
ReplyDeleteWelcome back and thank you - "On The Road" is a lovely slice of Traffic heritage, in a wonderful band configuration.
ReplyDeleteI live on a relatively-busy street for our suburb; one of the revelations of the pandemic was how much quieter things are without cars. I'm four lots away from where our street meets a major boulevard (again, "major" by suburban standards, not urban ones), so you can hear when everyone is trying to get their kid to practice/activities. Oh, yeah: we're also pretty close to a junior high school. Someone mentioned e-bikes, and I try to love them. But with the extra weight of batteries, some juvenile recently killed a pedal bike rider in a collision on a bike path!
Two freeways meet not many miles from where I live. You can hear the Interstate at most times of day, if the other noise sources damp down enough...
This neighborhood and town is actually a pretty good place to ride a bike or walk, so all the above complaints should be taken with the proverbial grain of salt.
D in California
The roads in my town are overcrowded and often full of potholes, however recently I was in a rural area an hours drive north and the roads there were dangerously degrading, I didn’t think my town was too bad after that. Fortunately I rarely use my car these days.
ReplyDeleteI live in a on a road in southwest Oregon that traverses a spine of the Siskiyou Mountains. Apart from a little bustle in the morning and evening as wage slaves come and go to the Rogue Valley below it's dead quiet, the exception being weekends when assholes on Harleys make it a point to be as noisy as possible with their penis-enhancing motorcycles as they cruise down the grade where we live.
ReplyDeleteLate to the party here, but since I live about 20 minutes from Passaic, NJ, I felt I had to chime in. Traffic pretty lousy here much of the time.
ReplyDeleteBack in the 70s, I went to quite a few concerts at The Capitol Theatre.
DeleteHi Babs! Glad you are safely back home and that you had a good time in Del Boca Vista. Did you take I-95 all the way up and down the coast?
ReplyDeleteTraffic in Ed-lanna (we don't pronounce either of the "T"'s) is terrible. There's no rush hour anymore. It's bad almost all day and all night, and the roads are endlessly under construction.
Anyhoo, I hope you will have a chance to recommend a few record stores in NYC where a friend of a friend can find some vinyl when he visits from Seoul next month. The details are in a comment I made under your Wilson Pickett post. Thanks!
Took the Holland tunnel to I-78 to I-95.
DeleteI'll email you record stores I deal with and won't rip your friend off.
Nice! Thank you so much.
Deletemanyjars@gmail.com
DeleteDon't drive in London. Just don't.
ReplyDeleteAs a cyclist I have a couple of route in north west London, roughly 20 miles circuits with some ups and downs to make it interesting, I avoid going out on Saturdays (too many cars) or in the rain... I saw Traffic as a 4 piece in the late sixties and the overblown band with the Muscle Shoals rythmn section and Jim Capaldi playing tambourine. But for me, their best line up by far was as a 3 piece, which I was fortunate to see at Hull University promoting the John Barlycorn album... So cheers for the bonus Babs.
ReplyDeleteoccasional coagulation in the fives to six.
ReplyDeleteI'm on a major street here on the island of Alameda; navigation is a challenge. To our immediate right is the exit from the Dollar store, plus a bus stop; across the street is a public parking lot. Add in the new challenge of electric scooters, bikes, two-wheeled and unicycle contraptions, entering and exiting the garage area requires multiple glances fore, aft, port, starboard, crane the neck left and right, plus look at the screen in the car...my goal is not to kill the idiots who aren't wearing helmets while riding on the wrong side of the road.
ReplyDelete