Sunday, July 13, 2025

Roland Kirk (with Jack McDuff) - 'Kirk's Work's

 

'Kirk's Work' is one of Roland Kirk's earlier recordings, and to my ears, the first true masterpiece in his catalog.  It was recorded at Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, July 11, 1961.

The album features a quartet with soul-jazz organ player Jack McDuff.  "Brother" Jack’s presence here clearly conveys the album’s sound, which is bop-tinged soul-jazz with minimal experimentalism compared to Kirk’s later work.  While few are more soulful than Kirk, even if the album isn’t a conceptual leap forward, it remains a masterpiece of straight-ahead soul-jazz.

This is not some sort of "party trick"

Roland's unorthodox performance style which incorporates the multiple pitches of a tenor sax, flute, manzello, and stritch (the 
stritcht is Kirk's own modification of a second-generation B-flat soprano sax). This contributes to the unique sonic textures and overtones Kirk creates when playing two -- and often three -- of those lead instruments simultaneously.  I've always loved how Roland could even make a flute swing, as he does here on the track "Funk Underneath", which foreshadows his flute-based album, 'I Talk With The Spirits'. 

While Roland's playing on this album was rooted in the emerging soul-jazz sounds of the time, his phrasing reached back throughout the history of jazz, and you can hear echos of earlier eras.  Nobody was more aware of the history of jazz than Roland, so it isn't surprising that just a few years after this album was recorded, he would push the genre as far as anyone else.

Tracklist:
1. Three For Dizzy
2. Makin' Whoopee
3. Funk Underneath
4. Kirk's Work
5. Doin' The Sixty-Eight
6. Too Late Now
7. Skaters Waltz

Roland Kirk – tenor saxophone, manzello, stritch, flute and siren
Jack McDuff – Hammond organ
Joe Benjamin – bass
Arthur Taylor – drums

For the freeload, what was the coolest magic trick/illusion you've ever seen? 


12 comments:

  1. Though I wouldn't characterize it as "cool," the ongoing performance of the current US president, for deft bamboozlement, misdirection, and illusion, is unparalleled. At least for the country rube crowd that constitutes the maga core.
    Thanks for giving Rahsaan some exposure—he's a personal hero. As you note, his playing is firmly rooted in all eras of jazz and he fluidly moves among them to produce some of the most profound art music of the last century.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The celebrity "street magician" that was all over the tube a couple of decades ago did a cool card trick where the card in question appeared "magically" on the inside of a storefront window. Jaws dropped!! A more real version of magic: during a solo piano section of a McCoy Tyner concert in the late 70s, the overtone rows "magically" turned into the sound of a tenor saxophone. Echoes of a friend?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Backstage at the Kingfish in BRLA where I was working the backstage door, watching John Lydon take about 30 minutes to turn himself into Johnny Rotten. Bonus points was watching Good Rockin' Doopsie & The Twisters L'il Buck Paul Senegal showing a rapt Steve Jones things on the guitar. Magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read an interview with film director Blake Edwards. In the interview, he said that it could take several hours for Peter Sellers to become Inspector Clouseau.

      Delete
  4. Phantom Of The Rock OperaJuly 13, 2025 at 9:27 PM

    I could wax lyrical about the deranged delusions of the mainstream British political class, media and establishment but I don't think that's what Babs wanted. If I were to it would probably be how they have disappeared £2 trillion in loans in the last few years and have absolutely NOTHING substantial to show for it.

    Truth is I don't really do magic. I'm too practical and view even the cleverest trick or illusion as exercises in optics, angles, reflections, concealment and slight of hand. Sorry to be such a killjoy......

    ReplyDelete
  5. About 10 years ago, walking dogs with a very good friend, and we come across another friend on his front stop - began discussing Italian renaissance artists (I was more of a listener than a contributor) and the dark ages. Start walking again, and about 6 blocks later, and clearly out of earshot as to what had been discussed earlier, a very elderly woman, dressed in an all white tunic, appears on the 2nd floor balcony of an apartment complex, and is trying to shout something at us. Not knowing what was happening, I get as close as I can to where she is standing and finally determine what she is saying: "art and ignorance are parallel lines."

    ReplyDelete
  6. It took me a while to get beyond politics, too. The best illusions I've seen have been created on stage. I was a real mess my senior year of college, but my girlfriend was solid (in her way) and got me to go see two plays in an ...unusual theater space (former indoor track and gym). The first play was "In The Shadow of The Glen" by J.M. Synge, and she was a lighting designer; her mentor lit the show and began by having a woman light a fire in a tiny hearth in a tiny college. I could see the damn running track above the stage, and I'd never seen an indoor track close up (being a West Coast kid). But damn if he (the designer) didn't successfully create the illusion of a fire lighting up her face after not-quite-catching at first. The rest of the play was pretty good (the second play was completely modern, completely in contrast, and didn't make anyone feel good - deliberately) but the illusion set by the start was like a halo that made the rest of the play and the college actors' attempts at Irish accents better than they really were. Magic, indeed.
    D in California

    ReplyDelete
  7. Link
    https://workupload.com/file/WXPXMjcJjaG

    ReplyDelete
  8. Magic is not magical, A mystery is only a mystery as long as you don't know the answer. And even when you know what happens and it still happens, that's real. A mind can be duped, the eye can be deceptive, and hopefully in a cheery way.
    Bad magic is when a sales-man sells you something and you know you're done. And with luck you can turn it around again.

    Magic is not magical, but sometimes the con is neutral, cheerful like optical illusions you can get for free.
    take three identical boxes, small enough to pick the three up when piled. Now fill one with sand, or coins, or whatever as long as the one has a nice weight.
    pick that one up, relaxed, to measure the weight. then place the two empty ones on top, and pick the three up.

    ReplyDelete