Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Thelonious Monk – 'Big Band And Quartet In Concert'



'Big Band And Quartet In Concert' was recorded on December 30, 1963, at Lincoln Center's Philharmonic Hall in New York City.  It was produced by Teo Macero, recorded by Columbia Records' staff engineers Frank Laico and Fred Plaut, and released in March 1964 on the Columbia Records label.
This recording is split between Monk’s classic quartet and a full expanded orchestra:

The quartet is the "usual suspects": along with Monk's piano are, Charlie Rouse on tenor saxophone, Butch Warren on bass, and Frankie Dunlop on drums.

The additional big band musicians are Thad Jones on cornet, Nick Travis on trumpet, Eddie Bert on trombone, Steve Lacy on soprano saxophone, Phil Woods on alto saxophone and clarinet, and Gene Allen on baritone saxophone and bass clarinet.


You can't talk about this album without talking about Hall Overton’s (left on piano) arrangements that are the centerpiece of the album's success, which brilliantly translated Monk's complex idiosyncratic, jagged piano solos into rich, swinging orchestral charts.


Monk being Monk had to be pushed by Teo Macero into playing with the big band, and the musicians were unrehearsed, but it doesn't show a bit.

'Big Band And Quartet In Concert' is one of Monk's finest performance and recordings, but for some reason gets overlooked.

The freeload is a 2CD set released in 1994. This is the entire unedited concert, that adds "Bye-Ya," "Misterioso," and "Light Blue," and Frankie Dunlop's drum solos to the original 1964 release.

For the freeload let's talk about excellent albums, that for some reason get overlooked.

17 comments:

  1. I've seen (or mentioned myself) in this space: Self Portrait and Planet Waves. But rarely if ever elsewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Milton Nascimento and Lo Borges' Clube de Esquina. Probably because of the military dictatorship and its eclectic mix of styles, the album, at best, got mixed reviews on its release. Now, its considered as the greatest Brazilian album of all time, and even Paste rated it as the 9th greatest lp of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always had a soft spot for the Jake & the Family Jewels LP that came out in the early '70s, titled "The Big Moose Calls His Baby Sweet Lorraine." It's hard to beat for amiable attitude and endearing performances. I must have bought it in a cutout bin back in the day, but I've always kept it close at hand. The band and the record are so obscure they don't even rate a wiki page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Been a decades-long favourite of mine, too. I think the previous album may be even better, and his earlier Bunky and Jake albums are precious. He was in The Magicians (Nuggets band).
      https://falsememoryfoam.blogspot.com/2019/07/some-cojones.html

      Delete
    2. I'd add the 2 Bunky & Jake albums as well!

      Delete
  4. "Lady in Satin" by Billie Holiday.
    When i first heard this record, i was disappointed, because i'm a fan of Billie. Years later i tried it a second time, and heard something very special in this music.
    Today i love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Madredeus "Ainda" soundtrack to Wim Wender's "Lisbon Story"

    Just gorgeous...

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ainda

    ~ Jon

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know this is going to get me pelted with rotten vegetables, but ... *gulp* ... Rod Stewart's "time" is unfeasibly good. Yes, he's hopelessly vulgar and unforgivable and all that fake tartan and absurd "sexiness" ... and that's why he's sneered at by pop sophisticates (you, probably). But "Time" is a beautiful, organic, true rock record with great tunes, great playing, and a barnstorming version of "Corrina Corrina" that should bring you out in a sweat. If you can forget you "don't like Rod Stewart" you'll have a blast with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Time' is a wonderful example of an overlooked album.

      Delete
    2. One of its problems (apart from being by Rod Stewart) is the general atmosphere of upbeat positivity. People don't want to listen to you sing about how happily married you are.
      "Brighton Beach" is as good a ballad as he ever sang (or wrote), understated, from the heart, and genuinely affecting.

      Delete
  7. Since today’s topic is Monk, I’d nominate his album Underground from 1968ish. Many seemed to think by that point, the quartet had become predictable and was on the wain. On the contrary, I think it’s one of his finest. It was the last release featuring new composition and remains a favorite of mine. I might even recommend it a a place to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Underground' is a favorite of mine too. 'Straight, No Chaser' gets a similar bad rap.

      Delete
  8. In way over my head with jazz, but I'll dare it here: Mingus Blues & Roots. And here's one I recently unearthed that I had long ago forgotten about...is it excellent...hmmm. Larry Raspberry & The Highsteppers Highsteppin' & Fancy Dancin'

    ReplyDelete
  9. Link
    https://workupload.com/file/mn72BjDbHrt

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Pirates" (1981) - Rickie Lee Jones

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aren't most non-funk albums from the seventies, Africa groteskly overlooked?

    ReplyDelete