'Fourth Time Around' is a 3CD bootleg compilation released on the Scorpio label in 2008. It compiles rare live and studio recordings and should not be confused with official releases like Sony's The Bootleg Series 'Vol. 1-3' or 'Vol. 4 - Live 1966'.
This box covers Bob's career, in chronological order up to the 1990s. A lot of emphasis, of course, is
placed on the 1960s. There are some incredible gems here, but there are also several previously released boots that are collected here
due to their relative obscurity.

Disc 1
01 Ranger’s Command
(Sept. 29, 1961, Gerde’s Folk City, NYC)
02 Baby Let Me Follow You Down
(Dec. 22, 1961, Minnesota Hotel Tape)
03 Midnight Special
(Feb. 2, 1962, Belafonte session rehearsal, Bob on
harmonica)
04 Makes a Long Time Man Feel Bad
(Cynthia Gooding radio show, February 1962)
05 Baby Please Don’t Go
(Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan outtake, April 25, 1962)
06 Ballad of the Gliding Swan
(Madhouse on Castle Street, BBC broadcast, recorded Dec.
30, 1962, or Jan. 04, 1963)
Tracks 7-11 from MacKenzie Tape, NYC, April 1963
07 James Alley Blues
08 Long Time Gone
09 Only a Hobo
10 Not the Cough Song
11 A Hard Rain’s a-Gonna Fall
12 Troubled and I Don’t Know Why
(Aug. 17, 1963, Forest Hills, N.Y., duet with Joan Baez)
Tracks 13-16, Oct. 26, 1963, Carnegie Hall, NYC
13 Ballad of Hollis Brown
14 Boots of Spanish Leather
15 North Country Blues
16 Seven Curses
Tracks 17-18 May 17, 1964, Royal Festival Hall, London
17 Eternal Circle
18 Mr. Tambourine Man
19 Outlaw Blues
(Jan. 13, 1965, studio session)
20 Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window
(Oct. 25, 1965, studio)
21 Keep It With Mine
(Feb. 15, 1966, studio)
Disc 2
01 Tell Me Momma
(May 14, 1966, Liverpool)
02 I Ain’t Got No Home
(Jan. 20, 1968, Guthrie Memorial Concert, NYC)
03 See That My Grave Is Kept Clean
(Basement Tapes)
04 One Too Many Mornings
(Feb. 18, 1969, Dylan-Cash Nashville session.)
05 Song to Woody
(May 1, 1970, studio)
06 If Not for You
(July 31, 1971, Concert for Bangladesh rehearsal,
NYC)
Tracks 7-8 are Nov. 9 and 17, 1971, studio
07 Put My Money Down
08 For You, Oh Babe, for You,
09 Going Going Gone
(studio, Nov. 5-6, 1973)
10 What Will You Do When Jesus Comes?
(studio, October 1975)
11 No Man Righteous
(Nov. 16, 1979, San Francisco.)
12 I Will Sing
(April 20, 1980, Toronto.)
13 Let’s Keep It Between Us
(Rundown Studios, October 1980)
Tracks 14-15 rough mixes, May 1981
14 Shot of Love
15 In the Summertime
16 Let It Be Me
(studio, May 1981)
17 The Groom’s Still Waiting at the Altar
(rough mix, May 1981)
18 I and I
("dub mix" spring 1983)
19 Sidewalks, Fences and Walls
(studio, May 5, 1987)

Disc 3
01 Soon, March 11
(1987, Gershwin concert, Brooklyn, N.Y.)
Tracks 2-3 demos, March 1989
02 Ring Them Bells
03 Dignity
Tracks 4-9 studio, spring 1990
04 Two by Two
05 Born in Time
06 Wiggle Wiggle
07 TV Talkin’ Song
08 Unbelievable
09 Under the Red Sky
Tracks 10-13 studio, June 1992
10 Polly Vaughan
11 Catskill Serenade
12 Miss the Mississippi
13 Sloppy Drunk,
14 If You Belonged to Me
(Dylan’s garage studio, summer 1993)
Tracks 15-18 studio, Sept. 30, 1994
15 Any Way You Want Me
16 Lawdy Miss Clawdy
17 Money Honey 1
18 Money Honey 2
Tracks 19-21 various studio sessions
19 I Can’t Get You Off My Mind
20 Return to Me
21 Red Cadillac and a Black Mustache
22 Tell Old Bill
(Take 6, summer 2005, unknown location)
23 A Change Is Gonna Come
(March 28, 2004, Apollo Theater, NYC)
24 Baseball
If you're a Zimmy fan, you'll enjoy this collection.
For the freeload, What Bob Dylan album do you play the most?


Highway 61 Revisited
ReplyDeleteThese days it's Bob Dylan - Love And Theft, but it wasn't always so. Thanks Babs
ReplyDeleteIt changes with time. "Blonde On Blonde" is the album, I play most often, thanks for the music Babs
ReplyDeleteBlood On The Tracks & Desire
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for all the great music, in which I keep finding exciting things I don't know about. And thank you so much for your effort and time.
Kind regards, Mike
Thank YOU, Mike!
DeleteTraveling Willburys
ReplyDeleteBlood on the Tracks
ReplyDeleteFor the past few years the only Dylan lps I listen to are Blood, Planet Waves and Before The Flood (arguably, more of a The Band album).
DeleteBefore The Flood could go either way.
DeleteEspecially the expanded release since it has more Dylan songs in it as compared the initial run. When Blood was first released, there was some backlash against it in southern La due to the way that Dylan pronounced Delacroix (Islandos are the people who first inhabited the island, its a fishing community, and its pronounced by them as del-a-crow).
DeleteHighway 61 the most, though Blood on the Tracks & Blonde on Blonde are on surprisingly frequent rotation. He's good, y'all. Yesterday his 1973 version of "Rock Me Mamma" (which becomes "Wagon Wheel") popped up and I was reminded some of his throwaway shit is better than most folx best... not that he didn't record his fair share of shit. pmac, Before the Flood is another fave, though at the time I was not so taken with it, though version of "The Weight" on there is pretty damn great. That song.
ReplyDeleteAnd, Babs, thanks for this incredible cornucopia on offer--you are just flat out a stone goddess...
ReplyDeleteAw shucks!
DeleteIndeed so!
DeleteJohn Wesley Harding these days
ReplyDeleteProbably Blonde on Blonde.
ReplyDeleteIf you mean "official" Dylan albums, right now it's probably "Rough & Rowdy Ways," but over the years the most-played is probably "John Wesley Harding" or "Blood on the Tracks."
ReplyDeleteThere are some excellent live field recordings from the Spring 2026 tour, too.
Just for the record, that "Anonymous" was me posting from a different node on my LAN (and damned if I know why I was "Masked and Anonymous" from there). I ought to add that "Love and Theft" is a fave.
DeleteI like his "Theme Time Radio Hour" shows the most...
ReplyDeletehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theme_Time_Radio_Hour
~ Jon
yes Jon me too on TTRH very good listening. NY Version of BOTT and anything with the Band.
DeleteBlood on The Tracks
ReplyDeleteI get tangled and twisted and need shelter in the morning
ANIN RFL Highway 61. A great energy, a lot of anger, a lot of tenderness, thoughtful, passionate, messy, brilliant.
ReplyDelete1. Blood on the Tracks
ReplyDelete2. Slow Train Coming
3. Highway 61 Revisited
I don't really play much Dylan these days, but If I had to pick, probably Modern Times
ReplyDeleteHighway 61, maybe, by a whisker.
ReplyDeleteOne of the things that keeps BD in my rotation is the wealth of good material, that (with a little curation) is very satisfying. There's "Bringing It All Back Home," and "Blonde On Blonde." There's "Blood On The Tracks" and "Desire." There's The Bootleg Series Vol. 1-3, then Vol. 4 - which just says "Live 1966" on the spine and on the discs, and Vol. 5, "Live 1975 (The Rolling Thunder Revue)." And there's other stuff that's good from the time since, and the time before any of these.
I think the guy might have some talent.
D in California
Blond On Blond has always been my favorite. Tell Tale Signs is a really good entry in the Bootleg series IMO. It hangs together very nicely as an album.
ReplyDeleteJohn Wesley Harding and The Basement Tapes
ReplyDeleteAnd now I'm am going to admit an act of heresy as I cannot recall when I last played an album by the inimitable Mr Zimmerman. Its probably something I should do. Another artist binge for the list
ReplyDeleteSo much music so little time........
Hard Rain
ReplyDeleteand to many a surprise: Self Portait
I'll see your Self Portrait (and maybe the Bootleg Series version) and raise you a Planet Waves
ReplyDeleteFreewheelin'. Surprised and yes, disappointed that nobody's mentioned this one.
ReplyDeletewell the Lone Ranger and Tonto were ridin' down the line...
DeleteBlood On The Tracks, New Morning, Oh Mercy, Good As I Been To You, Another Side
ReplyDeleteWhen I was young, it was "Bringing It All Back Home" and "New Morning," because that was all I owned. These days my stock answer would be "Blood On The Tracks..." HOWEVER...the album I played the most this decade was the 1970 3-cd set...which was "New Morning" outtakes.
ReplyDelete(Thinking here....I was 10 when "Blonde On Blonde" came out; the next three LPs were different to the prior folk & folk rock (John Wesley Harding, Nashville Skyline, Self Portrait) and with the exception of "Lay Lady Lay" didn't have hit singles. So..."New Morning" was a the gateway for me in 1970, when I was 14...and it was backup by the fact George Harrison (my second favorite Beatle) had put out "If Not For You." That was an endorsement that this old guy might be worth checking out...
Anyway...I played "1970" over and over.... WAS "Went To See The Gypsy" about Elvis Presley? I made the hadj to Graceland the past April, and mysteries still abound.
Hands down, "Time Out Of Mind".
ReplyDeleteThe albums mentioned above have been listened extensively, so, I moved them to Finder, and, click on songs, doing the shuffling. Today's offering will be in iTunes, Thanks.
ReplyDeleteA special mention to He/She who proposed Theme Time Radio Hour must have known Him very well. 101 episodes over 3 seasons... a delight. Take Care.
Link
ReplyDeletehttps://workupload.com/file/wAB54Fa2B7w
Thank you Bab-O-Licious. I can't wait to enjoy this. Have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteEnjoy!
Delete"Before The Flood," because I attended one of the concerts where it was recorded.
ReplyDeleteVery cool!
DeleteCan I just say, if you don't have a Blogger account you should sign your post with the same name or "nom de plume" after each post, it will give you more of "a voice" here.
Thanks Babs. I decided to listen to some Dylan last night and chose Freewheelin' So I suppose that is my current go to Dylan album now!
ReplyDeletePlanet Waves
ReplyDeleteI believe this is called Vlogging I didn't know..any road its old 45s played badly by a human with all sorts of irrelevant shit in between.. https://tapeheaven.substack.com/
ReplyDeleteBlood on the Tracks, because that's when I realised I was listening to something extraordinary.
ReplyDelete