Tuesday, July 14, 2026

Blind Gary Davis - 'Harlem Street Singer'

 

'Harlem Street Singer' was recorded on August 24, 1960, at Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey.  It was produced by Kenneth S. Goldstein and released on Prestige Records' Bluesville label in December 1960.

The album's title comes from Gary Davis’s a.k.a. Reverend Gary Davis' real-life moniker as he spent decades performing and preaching throughout the streets of the Harlem section of New York.

'Harlem Street Singer' is a foundational pillar of country blues and gospel music with its songs and complex fingerpicking style.  Bob Dylan, the Grateful Dead, Dave Van Ronk, and Jorma Kaukonen (to name but a few) have sited this album as a major influence.


Gary Davis was 65 years old when this album was recorded, and he delivers his most famous original composition, "Death Don't Have No Mercy," alongside his definitive rendition of the traditional standard "Samson and Delilah."

Legendary engineer Rudy Van Gelder captured the 12-track session in pristine hi-fi, in a single, three-hour session allowing Gary's guitar and soulful voice to ring with incredible warmth and clarity.

'Harlem Street Singer' is an essential album, that belongs in every Blues collection. 

For the freeload, name one Jazz, Blues or Rock album that to you is an essential album that belongs in every music collection.

20 comments:

  1. Van Morrison- Moondance
    John Hammond- So Many Roads
    Paul Desmond and Gerry Mulligan- Two of a Mind
    One of each for an essential threefer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this album and virtually any of his versions of "Samson & Delilah"--"Sampson got his hand in the lion's jaw. Lord, he broke that lion, killed him dead And bees made honey in the lion's head." His 1956 (?) version of Blind Willie Johnson's "Keep Your Lamps Trimmed and Burning" is also pretty legit.

    With apologies for the trite & obvious, Robert Johnson's songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Samson and Delilah" was also one of The Dead's signature second set openers.

      Delete
  3. I'm such a contrarian (or, perhaps, I play one on the Internet) that I don't think anyone *must* have the music that moves me, or that anything is "essential."
    I thought of "Kind of Blue" as soon as I read the prompt. But I heard dozens of jazz records before I encountered it in college; I don't know that my parents ever heard it, and my dad was a swing band musician as a teen. Same with the blues: I heard Bessie Smith and Rev. Gary and Cream long before I heard Robert Johnson's versions of his songs. He's amazing and foundational, but I did stumble along before (when, I think, there was only the one LP in circulation).
    "Bringing It All Back Home" seems like it was important to understanding the 1960s, and influential. Maybe it just hit me that way, when my older sister started playing it.
    Thanks for all the great conversation!
    D in California

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My eldest daughter is also a contrarian.
      If you call her a contrarian her reply is, "No I'm not"...

      Delete
  4. Jazz
    John Coltrane - 'A love Supreme'
    Blues
    Robert Johnson - 'The Complete Recordings' (The Centennial Collection)
    Rock
    The Rolling Stones – 'Exile on Main Street'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha---I was gonna say "Exile," but figured I'd already taken that shot and was gunshy. Three amazing discs...

      Delete
  5. Peter Brötzmann Machine Gun for jazz
    Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit
    Charley Patton - Founder of the Delta Blues

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seeing as how previous commenters didn't read the "name one" rule, I will go with John Hammond "Source Point" OR The Jelly Roll Kings "Rockin' The Juke Joint Down". Tomorrow is another day...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brubeck - Time Out
    Dylan - Highway 61
    Mississippi John Hurt - Avalon Blues
    Thanks Babs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Highway 61 is somehow underrated as a desert island disc, huh? Or maybe that's just me. It's good. Living in 5/4 time ala Brubeck is also hard to argue with...

      Delete
  8. For jazz, go with the only lp to continue to top the charts, over 50 years after its release- Miles Davis and Kind of Blue. To call it essential, is an understatement.
    For blues, Howlin Wolf's Moanin in the Moonlight still holds up after all the decades and that man's voice can peel your skin.
    Rock - go to one of the originators and get Fats Domino's 1956 release, This Is Fats Domino.

    ReplyDelete
  9. John Lee Hooker - Serves You Right To Suffer

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rachid Taha (RIP) - "Diwan"

    for example (and please play LOUD):

    "Ya Rayah"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8CDJhfcB1c

    ~ Jon

    ReplyDelete
  11. Link
    https://workupload.com/file/rtbCrhDj2HV

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tom Waits - Swordfishtrombones
    Howlin' Wolf - Howlin' Wolf (Rockin Chair album)
    Charles Mingus, Duke Ellington, and Max Roach - Money Jungle
    And quite a few others I can't think of right now ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fred McDowell. Long Way From Home (Milestone) 1966. The first Fred McDowell that I purchased. Relatively short running time, but covers all of his themes, and superb guitar work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Long Way From Home' is a long time favorite.

      Delete
  14. Rock: The Beatles - Revolver
    Jazz: Miles Davies - Kind of Blue
    Blues: BBKing - Live at County Cook Jail
    Many thanks Babs, you are certainly educating me a lot on the blues...it's a crash course!

    ReplyDelete