Wednesday, July 29, 2026

I'm Taking A Short Break






Another summer, another Newport Jazz Festival.  This will be my 50th Newport weekend.  Back in 1975, a group of friends my husband Jerry and I knew from the Manhattan Jazz clubs and after-hours jam session joints decided to go to the 1975 Newport Jazz Festival together.  At the time we all lived in Greenwich Village and we called ourselves "The Lucky Thirteen."  We’ve been going to Newport every summer since (except for 2020, which was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic).  In 2026, we’re down to six members.

 
On Thursday, August 6th, I'm having cataract surgery.




I'll be back to posting, sometime during the week of August 9th to the 15th, depending on how it all goes.


So here's something to keep you busy in my absence.  


'The Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel 1965' is an 8CD set that was recorded on December 22 and 23, 1965, at the Plugged Nickel nightclub in Chicago.  Teo Macero produced the original sessions, Buddy Graham and Frank Bruno were the recording engineers.  It was released July 18, 1995, on the Columbia/Legacy Records label. Michael Cuscuna produced the reissue.

This is Miles' "Second Great Quintet" with Wayne Shorter on tenor saxophone, Herbie Hancock on piano, Ron Carter on bass, and Tony Williams on drums.  [This is my all-time favorite group of any genre - Ed]

These eight CDs capture seven sets 
of music spread across 39 tracks for over seven and a half hours of music.  Don't let the repeating song titles fool you, no two performances sound even remotely alike.  There is sublime creativity on display here, and is a master class in the art of improvisation.

Play this LOUD, close your eyes, and you'll be right in the middle of Plugged Nickel in 1965.

Tracklist



CD 1
December 22, 1965 - 1st Set
01. If I Were A Bell
02. Stella by Starlight
03. Walkin'
04. I Fall In Love Too Easily
05. The Theme




Please Note: The second set from the first night (December 22) ran too long for a single standard disc slot in certain US pressings, so Legacy split it across two discs labeled 2A and 2B inside the same package, even though the total run time could technically fit on one.

CD 2A
December 22, 1965 - 2nd Set
01. My Funny Valentine
02. Four
03. When I Fall In Love

CD 2B
December 22, 1965 - 2nd Set continued
01. Agitation
02. 'Round Midnight
03. Milestones
04. The Theme


CD 3
December 22, 1965 - 3rd Set
01. All Of You
02. Oleo
03. I Fall In Love Too Easily
04. No Blues
05. I Thought About You
06. The Theme


CD 4
December 23, 1965 - 1st Set
01. If I Were A Bell
02. Stella By Starlight
03. Walkin'
04. I Fall In Love Too Easily
05. The Theme


CD 5
December 23, 1965 - 2nd Set
01. All Of You
02. Agitation
03. My Funny Valentine
04. On Green Dolphin Street
05. So What
06. The Theme


CD 6 
December 23, 1965 - 3rd Set
01. When I Fall In Love
02. Milestones
03. Autumn Leaves
04. I Fall In Love Too Easily
05. No Blues
06. The Theme


CD 7
December 23, 1965 - 4th Set
01. Stella By Starlight
02. All Blues
03. Yesterdays
04. The Theme

Enjoy, my friends, and I'll "see" you soon!

Link 1
https://workupload.com/file/dQuXRxc45PU

Link 2
https://workupload.com/file/NsZhSWVJCzD

27 comments:

  1. Oh man, enjoy Newport and thanks for the plethora of Miles. Went to Madrid on Monday to go see Diana Krall in concert, but for unspecified reasons, she canceled a sold out 15,000 seat show 3 hours before the scheduled start. Yeah... But, went to the storied Central Cafe (longstanding jazz club) and caught two sets by an incredible pianist/composer, Abe Rabade and his trio. He has numerous albums to his credit, and his style is sort of a cross between Keith Jarrett and Vince Guaraldi. Highly recommend to all that you check him out - all of his music is on the usual stream services and countless youtube videos.
    Enjoy the trip and good luck on the medical procedure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last time I saw Diana Krall was at a Whole Foods in Vancouver BC. It was in the dairy section and she was shopping with Elvis Costello. She's from Nanaimo BC...

      ~ Jon

      Delete
  2. Have a good break, and an smooth and succeful surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Babs, have a good time and keep swingin'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this box set, it's really great...thanks for sharing it and best of luck with your surgery.

    ~ Jon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Babs. Have a great time at Newport, what a wonderful tradition. Good luck with your eyes, vision is important.. Thanks for this great set.Make a few more great memories, have fun, try to behave - hah! Thanks Babs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Break a leg, kiddo. Muah! 5guns

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have fun at Newport and have those cataracts made into earrings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your golden Newport Anniversary! I had cataract surgery a few years back, and the new artificial lenses give me the eyes of a young eagle. The procedure's has one of the highest success rates in medicine, and the payoff is enormous. Kind of like having your windshield slowly accumulate grime, only to have it washed off at a gas station, and suddenly it's a whole new world full of crisp lines and vivid colors. Happy trails to Rhode Island and much hanks for the miles of Miles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best of luck on the eyes work, i'm sure you'll be fine. Thanks for the miles and miles of miles from way back then, and have fun at Newport.

    ReplyDelete
  10. best of luck with the eyes, have too much fun at Newport (who ever heard of too much fun?), and this box is ah-mazing; thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Phantom Of The Rock OperaJuly 30, 2026 at 6:27 PM

    Good luck with the surgery. My wife underwent a cataract procedure not so long ago and within 2 weeks she was raring to go again and even before that, after just a couple of days, she was getting back into the swing of things. Her sight was noticeably improved with it as well. I was amazed how quickly and how straightforward the whole thing seemed to go.

    Ironically today I learned that my own saga with my hip could be coming to an end as I've been booked in for a pre-assessment for surgery in late September which infers I could go under the knife as early as Mid October.

    After almost a decade of having to cope with it in varying degrees the idea that it could be resolved so quickly seems rather abstract and hasn't sunk in yet.

    Your post prompted me to take a peak at the line up for the Newport Festival and whilst I recognise one or two names on the bill, the only artists I'm at all famiiar is Herbie Hancock. Is there anyone you are particularly looking forward to seeing or is it more of a case of generally immersing yourself in the event as a regular attendee?

    Anyway thanks for the box set and I hope everything goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, this will keep everyone busy. I've been wanting to have all the Plugged Nickel recordings in one place for centuries. Newport, then cataract surgery, helava schedule! Hoping your experience matches mine. The improvement was pretty amazing. See you when and thanks for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just got the freakin' cataracts done, though they did damage one eye during the operation, so I'll have to wait til the swelling/inflammation goes down to see whether they did a good job on my right eye. So, back on a snazzy diet of eye drops and pills, yay! I'm an outlier, though, whenever they can break something while repairing something elsein my eyes, I'm their man. Yay me !?!

    Have fun at Newport!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nature Has No BorderJuly 31, 2026 at 5:59 AM

    ANGINE DE POITRINE - du jazz? "j'ai mon voyage"

    Nos pensées sont avec vous. Pour la convalescence, prenez tout votre temps, there's no rush. Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have a nice weekend Babs and good luck with the surgery

    ReplyDelete
  16. Chest Fever right here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_xKNpJ6hHw

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jon Batiste:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP2Frn8P1h4

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cory Wong:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-8m_4Ctadk

    ReplyDelete
  19. FT3sticks, thanks for the vids. Guessing Babs is having a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good luck for the surgery (I did it easily) and enjoy the music live
    I already have the Pludged Nickel and it's the best medicine for everything
    thanks for all the music you share
    Vince

    ReplyDelete
  21. Herbie Hancock (and audience handclaps):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNXOl6pAzcQ

    ReplyDelete
  22. you're gonna' love your new eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thinking of you this morning, hoping for a swift & accurate, pain free procedure and then a swift & total recovery resulting in better vision & outlook. Thanks Babs

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hope the cataract procedure goes well today. Sending positive thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  25. And can now see better than any of the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete