
"Do not go gentle into that good night", Dylan Thomas wrote it and Art Pepper in his later years lived it. In 1980, Art was 54; his health was poor, but his creativity was at its peak.
'An Afternoon in Norway: The Kongsberg Concert' is a 2-CD set, that was recorded on June 29, 1980, at the Kongsberg Jazz Festival in Norway. It was produced by the award-winning "Jazz Detective" Zev Feldman in collaboration with Laurie Pepper (Art's widow) and the Art Pepper Estate. It was released on May 9, 2025, on the Elemental Music label.
Art Pepper's sound changed over the course of his career. There was the cool almost Lee Konitz sound of the 1950s, through to the jagged John Coltrane influence in the 1960s to the driven, go-for-a-broke, passionate sound of his latter years.
Art toured almost constantly; by the 1980s he'd adopted an experimental dimension on-stage in his solos. Art's backing band was Bulgarian pianist Milcho Leviev alongside bassist Tony Dumas and drummer Carl Burnett. This quartet brought a deep-blue, hard-swinging, intuitive approach to loosely frame Art's playing, and is a master class in accompaniment.
An Afternoon in Norway: The Kongsberg Concert picks up the afternoon after a show at Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club in London ended at 1:30 a.m., and they were whisked to Norway, without time to sleep, in order to make this afternoon set as the closing act at Norway's Konigsberg Jazz Festival.
For the freeload, what are some of your favorite double albums?
Psychic TV - Those Who Do Not
ReplyDelete(a long time nothing)
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
The Velvet Underground - 1969 Live
Johnny G - G-Beat
Johnny G - Water Into Wine
Plastikman - Sheet One
Black Dog Productions - Bytes
Louis Andriessen - De Staat / Il Principe / Il Duce / Hoketus
Milton Nascimento - Clube Da Esquina
ReplyDeleteBuena Vista Social Club
ABB Live at the Filmore
Tom Jobim - Inedito
Still listen to all of these on a regular basis.
Here's several in no particular order that get regular play:
ReplyDeleteBuena Vista Social Club
Manassas
Uncle Meat
The Last Album - MJQ
Nighthawks At The Diner
Exile On Main Street
The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads
Songs In The Key Of Life
Thanks Babs
Also I have a question for you, if I may. How many vinyl records do you own?
I'm not sure how many LPs, I currently have. My grandson is currently cataloging them in PostgreSQL.
DeleteSun Ra – The Heliocentric Worlds of Sun Ra
ReplyDeleteDerek and the Dominos – Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs
The Beatles - The White Album
And though it only has three recorded sides (apart from an easter egg on side 4,) Rahsaan Roland Kirk's Three Sided Dream in Audio Color.
Thank you for the live Art. As Pepper became more ill in his later years, his lyricism and inventiveness seemed to expand in proportion to his disabilities. During shows I saw in the late 70s and 80s his appearance was frightening: yellow, pale, and seemingly at death's door. Still, he could blow the doors off any venue he played. The bandstand was his therapy.
ANON RF: We can start with Electric Ladyland. The White Album. Wheels Of Fire. Uncle Meat. Physical Graffiti. Lamb Lies Down On Broadway.
ReplyDeleteThis lit-er-al-ly came up the other day and we ended up "debating" for an enjoyable hour or so, mostly "Exile on Main Street" (my for too long desert island disc)-v-"London Calling." He asked for a dozen or so and here's what I offered:
ReplyDeleteAllman Brothers: Live at the Fillmore
The Band: Rock of Ages
Joe Cocker: Mad Dogs & Englishman
Bob Dylan: Blonde on Blonde
Husker Du: Zen Arcade
Minutemen: Double Nickels on the Dime
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band: Stars & Stripes Forever (I know, right?
Which one of these things doesn't belong, which one of
these things is not like the other...credit to Sesame Street)
Prince: 1999
The Clash: London Calling
The Rolling Stones: Exile on Main Street
The Talking Heads: The Name of This Band is the Talking Heads
The Velvet Underground: 1969 Live
London Calling, Exile, Double Nickels, Rock Of Ages, Allmans, Waiting for Columbus, Sign O'The Times...
Deleteforgot Trout Mask!
DeleteStockhausen - "Greatest Hits". This did exist, and I had it on Polydor vinyl (which I'm guessing was its only physical form). Beautiful die-cut cover - weirdly no glue - and extensive sleeve notes.
ReplyDeleteFT3 (they won't give me my rubber ducky right now)
The "cool kids" at MIT in '71 (all 18 of us) used to drop acid and spin this. Better than most so-called psychedelic for the job.
DeleteLet's see... from the previous LP age: Live/Dead, Giulini conducting Mahler's 5th, Butterfield Blues Band Live, Live/Evil, Waiting For Columbus, and I'd combine both editions of Ascension to make a swell double album. Did I mention Live/Dead?
ReplyDeleteGoodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John
ReplyDeleteBeatles - Blue And Red Albums
American Graffiti OST - Various
Beat Merchants - Various Artists
Nuggets - Various Artists (The original 1973 Elektra Double)
That'll Be The Day OST - Various
Stardust OST - Various
Zombies - She's Not There
Moody Blues - A Dream
On a semi-recent December 30th, I turned 66-and-two-thirds. I thought that a very appropriate time to listen to double LPs. I... didn't get as far as I intended, the only two I actually got to were Allman Brothers at the Fillmore East, and Live/Dead (and yes, I skipped "Feedback"). Others that are favorites:
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely Live - The Doors
Uncle Meat - Mothers of Invention
A radio-play-only collection called "East Memphis Music" full of classic Stax and associated tracks
https://www.discogs.com/release/2743703-Various-East-Memphis-Music-The-Hits-From-The-Stax-Era
In Concert - The Beach Boys
Reckoning - Grateful Dead
Grateful Dead (a.k.a. "Skullfuck")
Plays Live - Peter Gabriel
David Live - David Bowie
Quadrophenia - The Who
Tommy - The Who
...I also bought a half dozen double LP collections from Impulse, Blue Note, and Atlantic Records of jazz artists when I was in college, because they were all "cut-outs." I learned and got so much enjoyment out of those collections of Coltrane, Modern Jazz Quartet, Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra, and others.
D in California
My favorite is The Phil Woods Six 'Live From The Showboat'
ReplyDeleteLink
ReplyDeletehttps://workupload.com/file/wfN8JzntJMG
Double Live - Butthole Surfers album
ReplyDeletehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Live_(Butthole_Surfers_album)
Buffalo Springfield Collection w/ the long Bluebird track
ReplyDelete