Tuesday, April 7, 2026

Tom Waits - 'Nighthawks at the Diner'


'Nighthawks at the Diner' was at recorded at The Record Plant in Hollywood, CA. on July 30 & 31and released in 1975 as a double LP on the Elektra/Asylum Records label.

This is Tom at his peak as a beat-poet, barroom philosopher.  It blends moody, late-night jazz with spoken-word monologues and storytelling, evoking a smoky, intimate, 2 a.m. lounge ambiance, featuring characters like drunks, dreamers, and hookers, and delivers a highly atmospheric, almost cinematic experience.

Tom wanted to record a live album. Asylum Records founder David Geffen whom at the time was pushing Tom into a jazzier direction came up with the idea of staging it in a studio to emulate the atmosphere of a small club. Why they just didn't record it in an actual small club, is beyond me.

Be that as it may…

They rented the back room of the Record Plant, which had a large seating area and a glass booth for the recording equipment.  Four shows were planned for the last two days of July 1975 with a different audience attending each show.  Admission was by invitation only, though free tickets were handed out at Tom Waits’ old haunt, the Troubadour in West Hollywood.  As such, the crowd was filled with friendly ears conducive to his charms, from hip Elektra-Asylum employees to existing fans of the musician.  The back room of the Record Plant was set up like a nightclub: big tables with candles, checkerboard tablecloths, peanuts, pretzels, wine, and beer. 

Tom's backing band was Pete Christlieb on saxophone, Bill Goodwin on drums, Jim Hughart on bass, and bandleader Mike Melvoin on piano.  All were elite session musicians who recorded with Frank Sinatra, Count Basie, Ella Fitzgerald, Vince Guaraldi, and many others.  The interaction between the band and Tom is wonderful. You can hear this innate connection between the musicians 51 years later; their patience, trust, and responsiveness are remarkable.

The opening act for all the four shows was an old-fashioned tassel twirling burlesque stripper named "Dwana" [sigh…—Ed] who was an old friend of Toms.  What could be more appropriate for the warm-up for a Waits show than an old school stripper?


Tom Waits’ one-liners, non sequiturs, surprisingly sweet asides, scatting, self-deprecating stories, observational humor, and sadness all contribute to a perfect personality portrait in 'Nighthawks at the Diner'.

Waits’ wandering words paint a vivid picture of a funny, broken boozer, almost transcending the music itself.  The recorded evidence shows that Waits had truly developed his stage persona, characterized by a joking, rambling, Beat-rhetorical style reminiscent of Charles Bukowski poetry or Lenny Bruce routines. This showcases a whiskey-soaked, and gravelly-voiced persona, with long, often humorous, spoken-word introductions that sometimes overshadow the songs.

The freeload is limited edition CD-sized gatefold mini LP replica Japanese reissue from 2010, It was remastered by Isao Kikuch for the Japanese domestic market, and it sounds terrific.  If you've freeloaded any of my previous Tom Waits posts, you know what I'm talking about.

For the freeload, what are some of your favorite Tom Waits quotes and lyrics?

23 comments:

  1. An inebriated good evening to you all. Welcome to Raphael’s Silver Cloud Lounge.
    There is/was an actual Raphael's Silver Cloud Lounge next to I-25, just north of Albuquerque, a small dive bar from the looks of it. Easy to picture Tom in there waxing eloquent, slurring, babbling & carrying on.
    There are of course, many other quotes & lyrics, but I always liked these opening lines to Nighthawks At The Diner. This was also my introduction to Tom Waits. Thanks Babs

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's he building in there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Give me a Winchester rifle and a whole box of shells
    Blow the roof off the goat barn, let it roll down the hill
    The piano is firewood, Times Square is a dream
    I find we'll lay down together in the cold, cold ground…

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first exposure to the gentleman was his first "big" tour, opening for Zappa (I think it was the Grand/Petit Wazoo extravaganza). I'm sure that more than a few audiences got a little restless waiting for their hero to take the stage, on this (and probably more than this) occasion Tom got slightly snarky and sang "It looks like I'm up shit creek again", which brought the boo birds out in full force.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fernwood Tonight - 1977:
    "I rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"
    or
    " I live at the corner of Bedlam and Squalor"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Fernwood Tonight' was such a cool show! As was the show it was a spinoff of, 'Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman'

      Delete
    2. That show was the first time I saw the comedic genius of Fred Willard. Never forget the skit where they parodied a quiz show and the question was where was JFK shot. Person answers Dallas and Fred replies, "oh, I'm so sorry but the answer we were looking for is the head."

      Delete
    3. No matter what he was in, Fred Willard always stole the show.

      Delete
    4. Especially "Best in Show."

      Delete
    5. Willard is unsurpassed as the affable idiot.

      Delete
    6. From Anchorman: Willard, speaking to a nun: "Have you ever seen any German pornography, Sister? Oh no, of course you haven't, I was speaking rhetorically."

      Delete
  6. "And a Wisconsin hiker with a cue-ball head
    He's wishing he's home in a Wisconsin bed
    But there's fifteen feet of snow in the east
    Colder than a well-digger's ass
    And it's colder than a well-digger's ass"

    "And when they pulled her from the wreck
    You know she still had on her shades"

    " Never could stand that dog"

    "Even Jesus wanted just a little more time
    When he was walking Spanish down the hall"

    "But I must be insane
    To go skating on your name
    And by tracing it twice
    I fell through the ice of Alice"


    ReplyDelete
  7. "Those were days of roses
    of poetry and prose
    and Martha all I had was you
    and all you had was me.
    There were no tomorrows
    we packed away our sorrows
    and we saved them for a rainy day."

    I had a weird intro to his music and first album: I was living in college dorms, and a roommate moved out mid-semester. For several weeks, I had a room to myself (!!!) but then the college assigned me a new roommate, who had been living in NYC. He didn't seem to want to fit in (which was his prerogative), and the first Waits album was the only thing he listened to. This was kind of a grave offense to me, a college radio DJ, especially since I don't recall him *ever* putting on anything except "Grapefruit Moon." It's a good song, but...
    Anyway, he literally kept me out of our shared room during finals after he studied hard for many hours, took his last exam, and only then took off his cowboy boots -- the stink was repulsive for about 18 hours. Then, I guess, he woke up, cleaned up, and left ...and I never saw him in my subsequent two years at the school. Vaya con dios!
    D in California

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a similar experience with a college roommate. She owned one album, 'Between the Buttons' and played it constantly.

      Delete
  8. Good lawd I love this album. That first song just sets the tone and its an hour plus of pure bliss. Two things about Waits and me: I lived in the apartment where they filmed the scene in Down By Law in which Ellen Barkin throws Waits' records off the balcony (its located on Touro St in the Marigny neighborhood. I lived there for awhile after Katrina. Not much, if anything, was done to it). Second thing was according to Ms Mac, she knew I was the one for her the first holiday season after we started dating. I compiled a play list for a Christmas party that prominently featured Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis on it. Speaking of which, one of my favorite lyrics of his:
    Hey Charlie, I'm pregnant and living on 9th Street
    Right above a dirty bookstore off Euclid Avenue
    And I stopped takin' dope, and I quit drinkin' whiskey
    And my old man plays the trombone and works out at the track

    ReplyDelete
  9. Link
    https://workupload.com/file/BH98VM8ApKB

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nothin' else matters in this whole wide world
    When you're in love with a Jersey girl
    (been happily married to a Jersey girl for 42 years)

    I was a huge fan of Tom in the early years. A lot of the later stuff did nothing for me, although there were a lot of interesting covers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made a golden promise
    That we would never part
    I gave my love a locket
    And then I broke her heart
    And then I broke her heart

    It's such a sad old feeling
    The fields are soft and green
    It's memories that I'm stealing
    But you're innocent when you dream
    When you dream
    You're innocent when you dream

    ReplyDelete
  12. If memory serves, my first exposure to Tom Waits was on America 2Nite with Martin Mull.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Took a back seat in her life
    Never once held the wheel
    That one time on the interstate
    Out of gas and time
    Dancin' to the jukebox
    Where I dropped my last dime"

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rattle big black bones in the danger zone
    There's a rumblin' groan down below
    There's a big dark town, it's a place I've found
    There's a world going on underground

    Tom's Swordfishtrombones lp; both the album's cover, title, and listening to this track (Underground) in the record store, immediately destroyed my 1983 resolution to save all my money for my next travels and NOT spend it on music & books...

    ReplyDelete