'Nefertiti' was recorded over four sessions on June 7, June 22-23 and July 19, 1967, at Columbia 30th Street Studios, New York City. It was produced by Teo Macero (more on Teo below), and engineered by Fred Plaut and Stan Tonkel. The photographs are by Bob Cato.
The album was released on January 15, 1968, on the Columbia Records label. I bought the album on the Saturday after it was released at Canterbury Records in Pasadena, CA, which was a short walk from California Institute of Technology. Back then, it was run by a gentleman named Lenny, who was a hysterically funny man and had an encyclopedic knowledge of Jazz. When I walked into Canterbury Records, Lenny reached under the counter, pulled up a copy of 'Nefertiti', and said "I've been expecting you", and laughed. For the next month or so, Lenny and I discussed the finer points of the album.
Along with Miles are, Wayne Shorter on tenor saxophone, Herbie Hancock on piano, Ron Carter on bass, Tony Williams on drums (the so-called Second Great Quintet). 'Nefertiti' was Miles' last all acoustic album.
For me, 'Nefertiti' is a "desert island disc". A lot of it has to do with saxophonist Wayne Shorter’s mysterious and beautiful title tune, where the soloists and the rhythm section reverses their roles. Miles and Wayne play the theme over and over again in unison, while the rhythm section stretches the time and varies the intensity and harmonies of the piece. The melody is so compelling, and the interplay of the rhythm section so animated, that you never get bored by the repetition.
All the playing is flawless on this, which with this quintet is a given. The way Miles and Wayne harmonize
on trumpet and sax. It creates a really great unique tone, and
it allows for the rhythm section to do more when they combine their
parts to form a homogenous sound. Tony Williams is phenomenal on his track "Hand
Jive", no surprise there, and Ron Carter is as always sublime.
Of all the compositions, I think that Wayne Shorter was the most consistent
with all three of his tracks being contenders for the best, but Herbie Hancock steals the show with "Riot", my favorite off the album.
In the 1980s, I got to know Teo Macero and his wife Jeanne. Most of our conversations were about books, food, wine, and movies. Jeanne told me privately that Teo liked that I didn't bombard him with questions about music, as many people did. Occasionally, Teo would broach the subject of Jazz, and when he did, he recounted stories that were just so cool. It was also my "green light" to ask a question or two. One time he asked me what I was listening to, and I told him "Nefertiti". Teo smiled and told me, "Creative tension doesn't even begin to describe the intense atmosphere of those sessions".
Today's freeload is the 2023 remaster with 24bit/192kHz sonics, and sounds sweet.
For the freeload, I’m going to ask a rather clichéd musical question. Be that as it may, what are some of your desert island discs?


Even more cliched is my response of Kind of Blue, followed by Jobim's Inedito, and Getz/Gilberto and Evans' Portrait in Jazz and Jarrett's Complete Live at the Blue Note. We're going to need a bigger island!
ReplyDeleteWelcome back, Babs! Hope your trip was nice.
There are many Jazz fans who think they’re “too hip” for ‘Kind Of Blue’, and call it "cliché" and "dinner party music” etc. I myself was guilty of this for a few years, until one Christmas, I was gifted a Japanese 180g mono vinyl release of it (Sony Records Int'l – SIJP 1019). I knew the sonics were going to sublime, so I put on the turntable, and was reminded with “egg on my face” why ‘Kind Of Blue’ is the best-selling Jazz album of all time.
DeleteOne of my favorite nanoseconds in Jazz is Jimmy Cobb's sizzling/spine-shivering crash cymbal on "So What" just before Miles Davis's solo. Gets me every single time.
I feel the same way about Herlin Riley's cymbal work on Poinciana on Ahmad Jamal's Digital Works.
DeletePiano sonatas from Beethoven, Brandenburg concertos by Bach, Ramones, Michael O'Sea
ReplyDeleteGlad to see you back
I like the variety!
DeleteI suspect there are millions of folk out there, who, like me, selected their 8 desert island discs years ago (with the occasional update) and are just waiting for the phone call!! Mine include Duane Eddy (Peter Gunn), John Handy (If only we knew), The Honkies (The Land of Giants) and Mary Margaret O'Hara (Out of the Blue)
ReplyDeleteIf I was stuck on a desert island, I would be happy having the complete set of Dexter Gordon’s Blue Note albums.
ReplyDeleteGbrand
I can totally see that. Just when I think I've "digested" Dex's 'The Complete Blue Note Sixties Sessions' I notice something I hadn't noticed before. Lot's going on...
DeleteThanks Babs! Hope your time away was great.
ReplyDeleteHopefully I'd be able somehow to do some island hopping as my list of desert island discs changes every now & then. No particular order
Moondog
Uncle Meat - FZ/Mothers
In A Silent Way - Miles
The Last Record Album - Little Feat
Mambo Sinuendo - Ry Cooder & Manuel Galbon
De Camino Al Camino - Rita Payes
Roberto Rodriguez - Aguares
Remain In Light - Talking Heads
The Essential Charlie Parker - Bird
5/19/1981-Paris - Art Pepper Quartet
Gald you're back. Thanks Babs
Golly, there's a question!
ReplyDeleteStones - Let It Bleed
CT - Spring of 2 Blue J's
Ry - Into The Purple Valley
Paul Butterfield - Better Days
Sonny Rollins - A Night At The Village Vanguard
Boz Scaggs - My Time
Trane - Crescent AND Ascension
Miles - Live Evil AND Cookin'/Relaxin'/Workin'/Steamin'
I could continue, but I'd need a bigger boat... I do get a boat to the desert island, correct?
If I was stuck on Gilligan's Island - the lucky 13 that could address my various moods:
ReplyDelete1. Keith Jarrett w/Claus Ogerman Orchestra- "Arbor Zena" (1976)
2. Hank Mobley - "Soul Station" (1960)
3. J. J. Cale - "Naturally" (1971)
4. Joni Mitchell - "Court and Spark" (1974)
5. Bob Dylan - "Blood on the Tracks" (1974)
6. Ralph Vaughan Williams - "Symphony #5"
7. Steely Dan - "Aja" (1977)
8. McCoy Tyner - "Fly Like the Wind" (1976)
9. The Allman Brothers - "At Fillmore East" (1971)
10. Dusty Springfield - "Dusty in Memphis" (1969)
11. Muddy Waters - "Hoochie Coochie Man" (1958)
12. Oscar Peterson & Nelson Riddle - Self Titled (1963)
13. Grant Green - "Idle Moments" (1965)
I'm sure dozens more will occur to me, and like Mr. Slim above, I'm hoping for a sizeable vessel to deposit me on this hypothetical shore. But for starters:
ReplyDeletePrepare Thyself to Deal with a Miracle - Roland Kirk
A Love Supreme - John Coltrane
Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section - Art Pepper
Song for My Father - The Horace Silver Quintet
Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs - Derek and the Dominos
His Best (Sonny Boy Williamson II album) - Sonny Boy Williamson II
The Band - The Band
Jazz in Silhouette - Sun Ra
The Indestructible Beat of Soweto - Various Artists
The Harder They Come - Various Artists
The Gyuto Monks – Tibetan Tantric Choir
Brilliant Corners - Thelonious Monk
Hope your time away was wonderful, Babs...I know I am far from the only one to have missed you and your amazing posts...
ReplyDeleteHard to argue with anything posted, but if it really was only one, trite as can be, "Exile on Main Street." I can think of dozens of others and suppose I am hoping/praying I'd have a drive stuffed full of tunes and a way to play'em. Since "Exile" as a record was a double disc, if I could only have 1 33rpm vinyl record, Joni's "Blue" & Bobby's "Highway 61 Revisited" would be a coin toss...
'Exile' for me, would be a must.
Delete"Creative tension doesn't even begin to describe the intense atmosphere of those sessions".
ReplyDeleteWhat a marvelous spine-tingling description. Thanks.
I'd have to wash up on the desert island with my old (magically!) unbroken iPod rig, and, then thingies to keep it charged. So my desert island playlist would work off my favorite musicians of which there are thousands.
so to start:
Thelonious Monk the Complete Blue Note Recordings
Thelonious Monk & John Coltrane Live at Carnegie Hall
Steve Lacy - Cliches
Steve Lacy - Wee See
Abdullah Ibrahim - Ekaya
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
Aretha Franklin - Spirit in the Dark
Aretha Franklin - Amazing Grace
on and on. . .
When I went to live in Morocco back in 1997, I forced myself to only grab a handful of CDs. All I can remember right now is the Ornette Coleman "Beauty is a Rare Thing" box set, Brian Eno's "Thursday Afternoon" and Gavin Bryar's "The Sinking of the Titanic: Live in Bourges April 1990" on Les Disques du Crépuscule TWI 922 (the best version in my opinion)...
ReplyDeleteRe: "Kind of Blue" I don't know how many times I've bought this one (a lot)...funny anecdote: at the office I managed for nineteen years I got tired real quick of the telephone "on hold" music (it was just plugged into an FM radio set to some top 40 station) - I used to record a lot of shows on portable minidisc recorders back then and had the idea of plugging one of those in instead with only the "Kind of Blue" album playing on repeat 24-7. We got compliments for years and years after that for having such classy "on hold" music.
Is James Nice/Hayward still "manning the helm" at Les Disques du Crépuscule?
DeleteSorry, I'm not an insider.
DeleteWelcome back though and thanks for this share!
More info on that Bryars recording here:
https://www.ltmrecordings.com/the_sinking_of_the_titanic_ltmcd2525.html
Welcome back Babs!
ReplyDeleteI'm going to limit it to a vinyl LP case full with no more than around 20 albums (I've never traveled light, not even when I went backpacking) else I'd be here all night.They would mostly Best / Of Greatest Hits type albums and except for one exception (the original Nuggets double) I have owned all of them for a very long time and are essentials as far as my music listening needs goes.
Zombies - Odessey & Oracle
Beatles - Red & Blue Albums
Rolling Stones - High Tide & Green Grass
Who - Meaty Beaty Big & Bouncy
Simon & Garfunkel - Greatest Hits
Jam - All Mod Cons + Setting Sons
Paul Weller - Paul Weller + Wild Wood
Doors - Best Of
David Bowie - Rise & Fall of Ziggy Stardust
Various Artists - American Graffiti OST
Various Artists - 20 Mod Classics (Motown) Vol. 1 & 2
Various Artists - Nuggets
Kinks - Well Respected Kinks + Sunny Afternoon
Hollies - 20 Golden Greats
Bob Dylan - Greatest Hits
Elvis Costello - My Aim Is True + 10 Bloody Marys
Small Faces - Big Hits
Anon RF: My dear departed friend Colin Lockhart and I used to make an annual Desert Island (rock only) Top 10. The Beatles catalogue was a given. Mine often included:
ReplyDeleteFreak Out
Notorious Byrd Brothers
After Bathing At Baxters
Beggar's Banquet
A Salty Dog
Axis Bold As Love
Velvet Underground & Nico
Anthem Of The Sun
Twelve Dreams of Dr Sardonicus
Soft Machine Third
In this digital age where we can have wifi through a satellite, a hard drive fills all the nostalgic memories and much more. Roughly 2,000 albums of which about 40 I still love listening through decades & a playlist of songs like "Valentyne Suite", a desert island ride is fun.
ReplyDeleteMartin Denny greatest hits
ReplyDeleteDisraeli Gears
Hounddog tayler and the house rockers
Satchmo Sings
Little Richard Live Okeh Club
Zappa live at fillmore
Renaissance live Carnegie Hall
Terry Riley songs for the 10 voices of the 2 pro[hets
Phillip Glass Einstein on the Beach
Ry Cooder Paris Texas
JLH Endless Boogie
Art of Noise The Seduction of Claude Debussey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI_vsmzzdZ8&list=PLARymfUOHRWyu0a9W4XjviNm32KSfBAFE
and Bob Marley Exodus
Link
ReplyDeletehttps://workupload.com/file/rZ8VpEX3Z7g
Leon Russell - Will O' The Wisp
ReplyDeleteLaura Marling - A Creature I Don't Know
The one jazz album that would be near the top is Miles' In a Silent Way. It just captures me.
ReplyDeleteTerje Rypdal's "waves"
ReplyDeleteEno & Budd's "The pearl"
Milt Jackson's "Sunflower"
Prefab Sprout "Jordan the comeback"
David Sylvian "Brilliant trees"
Coxteau Twins "Victorialand"
Jon Hassel "Last night"
I may need a bigger island for them all...
Bat
Babs, why isnt this one on your blog list.
ReplyDeletehttps://livejazzlounge.com
And please note;
After 14 years, the Live Jazz Lounge has run its course and will cease to exist on 26th February 2026 when we let the payments for web space and domain name expire at our host One.com. I would be delighted to transfer the LJL domain, WP installation and music collection (over 1000 shows) to anyone willing to take over and continue. If you are interested, send an email to admin@livejazzlounge.com for details. Peace, love and jazz.
A real treasure trove for jazz lovers.
cheers!
La Musica E Vita