Thursday, November 14, 2024

Stephen Stills - 'Manassas'

 

'Manassas' was released in 1972 on the Atlantic Records label. It's the missing ink between the classic folk/southern rock of the 60s and 70s, and the alt-folk, alt country/Americana of today, including Ryan Adams, Amos Lee, Lucinda, Gillian, Emmylou, Wilco, Calexico, Drive-by Truckers, Connor Oberst, Danny Lanois, Steve Earle, Alabama Shakes, Jayhawks, et. al.
This is a wide-ranging, cross-genre classic; it's got everything terrific that we ever heard from Stephen Stills: his most soulful voice, his guitar playing, his harmonies, his steel guitar, and his slide work.

'Manassas' was released in April 1972, a month before 'Exile on Main St.'. While the Rolling Stones’ love letter to American blues, rock and gospel is deservedly famous, 'Manassas' which operates in much of the same territory, has largely been forgotten.
The album was an immediate success, and peaked at No. 4 on the Billboard album charts at the end of April 1972, weeks after its release, then according to the "Manassas Conspiracy Theory" strangely disappeared from stores. Steven Stills claimed that Atlantic Records co-founder and CEO Ahmet Ertegun purposely suppressed the album because it was picking up serious steam and threatening a Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young reunion, which was a huge moneymaker. At the time, Steven Stills was in the middle of a serious cocaine habit, so I wouldn't be at all surprise if his views were "blow" induced paranoia, but who knows? When money is involved, nothing surprises me.
The players: Stephen Stills - vocals, guitar, bottleneck guitar, piano, organ, electric piano, clavinet, Moog synthesizer. Chris Hillman - vocals, guitar, mandolin Al Perkins - pedal steel guitar, guitar, vocals Paul Harris - organ, piano, electric piano, clavinet Dallas Taylor - drums Calvin "Fuzzy" Samuels - bass Joe Lala - congas, timbales/percussion, vocals Sydney George - harmonica (on "The Raven" and "The Wilderness") Jerry Aiello (on "The Raven" and "The Wilderness") - piano, organ, electric piano, clavinet. Roger Bush - acoustic bass (on "The Raven" and "The Wilderness") Byron Berline - fiddle Uncredited
Jerry Garcia played pedal steel guitar on “So Begins the Task,”
Bill Wyman co-wrote "The Love Gangster" and played bass on the song and on "Rock & Roll Crazies". Bill Wyman enjoyed the experience so much he later said he’d have left the Rolling Stones to join Manassas.

'Manassas' is a stone cold classic, and
is most certainly one of the best albums of its era.

The freeload is
24 bit 48 kHz
, and sounds really nice.

For the freeload what albums from 1972, do you listen to on a regular basis?

34 comments:

  1. Ah! Mana from heaven!!!! There's a ton from 72 that still gifts my speakers
    Aretha - Young, Gifted and Black
    Stones - Exile
    Paul Simon - self titled
    Ry Cooder - Purple Valley
    Rundgren - Something/Anything
    Allmans - Peach
    Novus Baianos - Acabou Chorau
    Milton Nascimento - Club de Esquina (play this one the most)
    Antonio Jobim - Jobim and Tide
    Manasas - and soon in 24 bit!
    Probably the single year that dominates my stereo system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A pretty good year!
    Zappa - The Grand Wazoo
    Stevie Wonder - Talking Book
    Steely Dan - Cant Buy A Thrill
    Neil Young - Harvest
    War - The World Is A Ghetto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I forgot-
      Santana - Caravanservai
      and more.....

      Delete
  3. I didn't know "Tide" was from '72; you can tell that I picked it up much later. The albums listed have a lot of appeal to my ears, too.
    Thinking about what I listened to at that time, "Europe 72" by the Dead, and "Fragile" by Yes come to mind, and the former is still in rotation to this day. (I listen to Yes, but usually collections or playlists, not that album.) "Powerglide" by New Riders of the Purple Sage has some charming songs, but I haven't listened to it as an album for a while.
    D in California

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charles Mingus - Let My Children Hear Music
    Neil Young - Harvest
    Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St.
    Stevie Wonder - Talking Book
    Ornette Coleman - Science Fiction
    Van Morrison - Saint Dominic's Preview
    Dr. John - Dr. John's Gumbo
    McCoy Tyner - Sahara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still listen to a lot people have already listed but also still enjoy "Thick as a brick". "Ziggy Stardust". "Machine Head" and strangely "Obscured by clouds".

    ReplyDelete
  6. V/A - Nuggets
    Nick Drake - Pink Moon
    Van Morrison - Saint Dominic's Preview
    David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
    Van Dyke Parks - Discover America
    Rahsaan Roland Kirk - Blacknuss
    Harry Nilsson - Son Of Schmilsson
    Roxy Music - S/T
    Alice Coltrane - World Galaxy
    Rod Stewart - Never A Dull Moment

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phantom Of The Rock OperaNovember 14, 2024 at 5:07 PM

    David Bowie - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust
    T. Rex - Slider
    T.Rex - Bolan's Boogie
    Slade Live - Slade
    Slade - Slade
    Deep Purple - Machine Head
    Jethro Tull - Living In Then Past
    Simon & Garfunkel - Greatest Hits
    Rod Stewart - Never A Dull Moment
    Kinks - Everybody's In Showbiz
    Stones - Exile on Main St
    Elton John - Honky Chateau
    Lou Reed - Transformer
    Big Star - #1
    Eagles - Eagles
    America - Homecoming etc etc etc

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uncle Neil, obviously. Exile and Ziggy, though not as much as I should, probably.

    Big Star - #1 Record, what a classic!

    The Beach Boys - Carl & The Passions "So Tough"

    (and if I may, a little plug for a better version of that album:

    https://onebuckrecords.blogspot.com/2023/11/all-this-is-that-repolishing-beach-boys.html
    )

    Poco - A Good Feeling To Know

    ...I also just realized that James Taylor's One Man Dog is from 1972. I don't listen to that one particularly often, but it's pretty good...AND pretty weird...which is good!

    Gordon Lightfoot's Old Dan's Record, one of his least known from the period and genuinely underrated!

    Ian matthews - Tigers Will Survive
    and
    Plainsong - In Search Of Amelia Earhardt
    (great Matthews doouble whopper...)

    the self-titled debut from Pure Prairie League

    ...and probably a ton of records I'm forgetting right now...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Archie Shepp - Attica Blues
    Rahsaan Roland Kirk - Blacknuss
    Bill Withers - Still Bill
    Al Green - I'm Still In Love with You & Let's Stay Together
    Aretha Franklin - Amazing Grace
    Paul Simon - Paul Simon
    Dr. John - Dr. John's Gumbo
    Horace Andy - Skylarking
    The Harder They Come - Various
    Super Fly - Curtis Mayfield

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lotta great music in 1972, lotta great music. I still listen to these (among other things) regularly, daily shuffle during walks.
    Frank Zappa - Waka Jawaka & The Grand Wazoo
    Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Trilogy
    Grateful Dead - Europe '72
    Stevie Wonder - Talking Book
    Grand Funk Railroad - Mark, Don & Mel: 1969-71
    Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick
    Curtis Mayfield - Superfly
    Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street
    Deep Purple - Machine Head
    Stephen Stills - Manassas
    Neil Young - Harvest
    The Staples Singers - Be Altitude: Respect Yourself
    Led Zeppelin - IV
    Miles Davis - On The Corner
    Herbie Hancock - Crossings
    Al Green - I'm Still In Love with You & Let's Stay Together
    David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust
    Roxy Music
    Yes - Close to The Edge
    Elton John - Honky Chateau
    The O'Jays - Back Stabbers
    War - The World Is A Ghetto
    Thanks Babs

    ReplyDelete
  11. And I still forgot some, oh my.
    Z Z Top - Rio Grande Mud
    The Doobie Brothers - Toulouse Street
    Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill
    I'm almost positive that there are even more. 1972 was a great year for ears! thanks Babs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toulouse Street is great, probably the most consistent Boogie Doobie record top to bottom

      Delete
  12. 1972, the year the scene lost me. Symbolic is the 'Stones Exile where professionalism took over inspiration. Still listening to Caravanserai, Sabbath's Vol. 4, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's Will The Circle Be Unbroken, and a few more already mentioned. How are you Babs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh. Out of all the things said about 'Exile', I don't think I've ever heard "professionalism over inspiration". And out of all the Stones album, this is probably one of those were that is least applicable...

      Delete
  13. Lookng through everyone's comment, and it just reaffirms what a special year that was in the recorded music industry. Given the state of the industry now, its extremely unlikely we will see something that great, and cover so many diverse genres, in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm still listeniing to Carly Simon's. No Secrets from 1972.

    ReplyDelete
  15. In addition to many previously stated:

    Raspberries - Raspberries and Fresh
    Uriah Heep - The Magician's Birthday
    Edgar Winter Group - They Only Come Out at Night
    Joe Walsh - Barnstorm
    Black Sabbath - Vol 4
    Grand Funk - Phoenix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of our friends in Seville is a drummer, and in his much earlier days, he was the tour drummer for The Rasberries (he has also played with Sting, and the better jazz musicians in Spain, so he has chops). He has some tales about those days.

      Delete
  16. Link
    https://workupload.com/file/HesWjTZUVPt

    ReplyDelete
  17. Babs, thanks so much for sharing these freeloads. Most of them sound so rich & vibrant. There was a time I was concerned about my hearing. When listening to just about any of these freeloads, I trust what I hear & many times I'm amazed all over again. This one in particular (always been a favorite) sounds spectacular, thank you Babs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. For 1972 I'd go with Big Youth's Screaming Target

    I think I had Manassas as a record club option back then but didn't think that much of it

    Hearing this now you can hear Black Crowes, Drive By Truckers, Uncle Tupelo etc still to come

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great year in music -- lots of MrDaveFaves most of which have already been listed above but some krautrock gems as well:

    T. Rex - The Slider
    Big Star - #1 Record
    Nick Drake - Pink Moon
    David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
    Black Sabbath - Vol. 4
    Can - Ege Bamyasi
    Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
    Led Zeppelin- IV
    Roxy Music - S/T
    Lou Reed - Transformer
    Neu! - Neu!
    Sun Ra - Space Is the Place
    Curtis Mayfield - Super Fly
    V/A - Nuggets

    ReplyDelete
  20. Golly, how about:
    Boz Scaggs - My Time
    Ry Cooder - Into The Purple Valley
    Art Ensemble Of Chicago - Bap-tizum
    Paul Butterfield - Better Days...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanx for the upgrade to one of my favorites!
    -notBob

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds good on the 'puter speakers. Tomorrow I'll try it on the main system.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amazingly not included previously, I do listen to both, but I guess not regularly enough to remember them before hearing them this morning. Both releases by Captain Beefheart, The Spotlight Kid & Clear Spot. Thanks Babs

    ReplyDelete
  24. Little Feat - Sailin Shoes
    Faust - So Far
    The Band - Rock Of Ages

    ReplyDelete