Saturday, March 29, 2025

Wayne Shorter - 'Night Dreamer'


In January 2024, Blue Note Records is celebrated their 85th anniversary with a new reissue series named "Blue Note 85"
Blue Note Japan started issuing a series of UHQCDs using the masterings that Kevin Gray did for the Tone Poet and BN Classic LP releases.  By using the digital source material he created for the analog reissues, he reproduced the sound of the original master tapes as faithfully as possible to achieve the ultimate analog sound.  Also, each title features the UHQCD format.

So what's all this
UHQCD razzmatazz, you ask?
Here's the propaganda:

"UHQ-CDs (Ultimate High Quality Compact Discs) are a type of CD developed by Memory-Tech that uses a new photopolymer casting method to create more accurate pits on the disc, aiming to reproduce the sound of original master tapes as faithfully as possible."
Yeah, whatever….they're still 16-bit, 44.1 Red Book CDs.  However, they sound excellent, which probably has more to do with Kevin Gray's remastering than photopolymer casting.

In fairness UHQ-CD are aimed at people with CD transports (as opposed to CD players) and other high-end equipment, you know "audiophools", not unlike myself.  That said: these are the digital versions you should have.

Over the next few weeks, my Jazz posts will be of this series. 

 
 
So let's get started with: Wayne Shorter's 'Night Dreamer'.


In April 1964, Wayne entered Van Gelder Studios in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, with trumpeter Lee Morgan and bassist Reggie Workman, who had been a mainstay of John Coltrane’s group until 1961.  Add to that, pianist McCoy Tyner and drummer Elvin Jones, both then bringing startling new energies to light as half of Coltrane’s Classic Quartet.  This was a productive time for the Wayne, who was searching for new creative ground while still swinging hard.

The result was 'Night Dreamer', his first album as leader for Blue Note, which was also the first in an extraordinary 11-album run, that saw him moving through more open-ended version Post-Bop, and up into the "foothills" of Fusion in the early 70s.

'Night Dreamer' was a transitional moment for Wayne.  And as if that wasn't enough, just five months after the recording of 'Night Dreamer', he joined Miles Davis’s band, unifying the line-up of Miles' phenomenal Second Great Quartet, which is my all-time favorite band of any genre.  But that’s another post for another day.

For the freeload, who's your all-time favorite band?


27 comments:

  1. In the whole world? Of all times? African, Brazilian, Central-Asian, Danish, Everything on a pile? The Berliner Philharmoniker compared with Duke Ellington Orchestra, The Residents, Culturcide, Lolo Lolitta, and Gamelan Orchestras? Pffffffffffffh
    Franco & Le T.P.O.K
    Kiyika Masamba (Flamy) & Orchestre "Kara De Kinshasa"
    Bezunesh Bekele & The Dahlak Band
    Slits
    Celia Cruz Con Sonora Matancera
    Estrellas De Areito

    These are most certainly in my top three

    ReplyDelete
  2. Difficult decision, lots of great contenders, but this morning my all time favorite band is Los Lobos. Thanks Babs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is cheating a bit, but leaving out The Beatles and The Stones (I think they should be mulligans), it's gotta be The Kinks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Night Dreamer was my first Blue Note (followed soon by Conquistador and Page One).

    All time favorite band is the original Mothers of Invention.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All time favorite band feels like madness...so many. For decades I thought my desert island disc was Exile on Main Street, but I don't think I'd pick the Stones...The Dead, I suppose. Unless it's the Clash. #fml.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jesse Sykes and the Sweet Hereafter

    ReplyDelete
  7. In this moment, The Band, but it's never really a static thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The short-lived Band Of Gypsys, I think. For those with a larger sample size, either the Stones or the Coltrane Quartet/Quintet/Sextet etc. Or the Cecil Taylor Unit (when they were a trio). For a modern day live performance fave, Los Lobos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Apart from the obvious one's (Beatles, Stones, L.Z.) I've always had a soft spot for the Doors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to go in cycles with The Doors. For a few years, I'll play them regularly, and then for some reason,
      I lose interest. A few years later, I "rediscover" them.

      Delete
  10. The original Little Feat

    ReplyDelete
  11. Original composition of The Meters.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lyle Lovett and his Large Band

    ReplyDelete
  13. Phantom Of The Rock OperaMarch 29, 2025 at 10:28 PM

    The Jam

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whenever I'm asked that I think to myself "that's next to The Stones & The Beatles of course", and then I immediately think: Soft Machine.
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a question! Nearly impossible to answer, but i try.
    In my pop-rock times there was only one answer: The Beatles.
    Followed by my Jazz times, and there it's not so easy, but i'm a big fan of the Cannonball Adderley Quintet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Link
    https://workupload.com/file/GZrVpYQeV4d

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mighty Steely Dan will do for me.
    Tough one anywat.
    Cheers Babs
    Bat

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gotta be Steely Dan, then The Cramps, Hatfield and the North, and Iggy and the Stooges.

    ReplyDelete
  19. R.E.M. then, The National now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Soft Machine, Steely Dan, Blue Nile, NRBQ - no particular order.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yowzers; initially I was thinking it would probably have to be the Stones by default but upon further contemplation, I'm surprising myself by choosing Pavement (followed closely by The Velvet Underground and The Replacements). Iggy and The Stooges (good call Mr. Grimsdale) and Television were also in the running but they burned a little too bright too briefly compared to the others.

    ReplyDelete