Tuesday, March 11, 2025

The Complete Blue Note Lou Donaldson Sessions 1957-60

 

Lou Donaldson, known to friends and fans as "Sweet Poppa Lou" was one of the greatest alto saxophonists of all time.  His musicianship, humor, and showmanship earned him international recognition as a performer with a worldwide following.  He also played a significant role in both the development of hard bop and its evolution into soul jazz.  Lou's blues-drenched alto was a force in jazz for more than seven decades.

Alfred Lion, co-founder of Blue Note Records, heard Donaldson playing at Minton's Playhouse and invited him to record for his label.  First as a sideman with the Milt Jackson Quartet, who became the Modern Jazz Quartet. 

Lou was instrumental in bringing Clifford Brown and Horace Silver to Blue Note, and made the recording with Art Blakey, 'Night at Birdland', considered one of the first in the hard bop genre.  He was also instrumental in getting many legendary musicians their debut sessions with the Blue Note label, including Grant Green, Blue Mitchell, John Patton, Ray Barretto, Curtis Fuller, and Donald Byrd.


Lou pulled a distinctive, honeyed tone
from his alto sax, and blended the lyricism of the swing-era "swoon" of Johnny Hodges with the quick-fingered velocity of bebop architect Charlie Parker.


'The Complete Blue Note Lou Donaldson Sessions 1957-60' was released by Mosaic Records in 2002, as a numbered limited edition 6CD box set.


These sessions gave us the albums:
  • Wailing with Lou
  • Swing and Soul
  • Lou Takes Off
  • Blues Walk
  • LD+3
  • The Time Is Right
  • Sunny Side Up
  • Lightfoot
  • Midnight Sun
  • Gravy Train
In typical Mosaic Records fashion, the sonics are excellent, as are the packaging, and the 20-page booklet (included in the freeload).

For the freeload, tell us what your favorite sweet treat is.


20 comments:

  1. I really like Palmiers, the ones I've gotten haven't been drenched with a sugar coating, but are still a little sweet. Got a couple last year on trip to Santa Fe from the French Pastry Shop located in the La Fonda, very tasty. Looking forward to more on my next visit. Thanks Babs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Palmiers, with a strong "cup of joe"

      Delete
  2. Boring ol' carrot cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably too many! - but I'll nominate a Chocolate Eclair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a friend who is a roofer during spring and summer then transforms into a brilliant pastry chef through the winter months. His hazelnut genache tort is astounding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My wife does a killer entremet praliné, a layered nut cream patisserie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For me, it's chocolate. Milk, dark whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phantom Of The Rock OperaMarch 11, 2025 at 10:12 PM

    So much indulgence, so little time. Having lived over the family corner shop as an infant, chocolate is always going to be in the mix (including biscuits, cocoa pops whatever), crunchy peanut butter and blackcurrant jam (jelly) is comfort food and Haagen Daas Pralines & Cream is my go to Ice cream but the one thing I really miss since I've been on a fasting diet (to lose weight for a hip operation), and their must be a cop in me somewhere, is jam doughnuts.

    We used to have them with a beverage every time the wife came back from shopping pretty much but its literally been months since I tasted one. So thanks Babs now I'm gonna be pining for one (or two or three) for the rest of the day!

    Anyone suggest an earworm to take my mind off the Doughnuts?

    Thanks as ever for the great posts Babs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wishing you the best of luck with your hip.

      Delete
    2. Hoping for a speedy & full recovery. Here's an earworm w/visuals. A cover of a Fugazi song. I'd heard the name but never any of their music. Because of it I've been checking a lot of these School Of Rock covers, kinda fun. Waiting Room - Jazz Band Rejects/Cleveland School of Rock band covering Fugazi (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3wGLfEKxNY) (also ties into your sweet treat, sorta) thanks Babs
      Link for more SOR vids https://www.youtube.com/@MidWestConcertVideo2

      Delete
    3. Phantom Of The Rock OperaMarch 12, 2025 at 11:31 PM

      That certainly fixed it. Doughnut? what are doughnuts?

      ;-)

      Delete
    4. POTRO, your mention of jelly doughnuts reminded me of the shortest job I ever held working at a doughnut shop. I was hopeless. The machine that injected the variously flavored jellies into the doughnuts was knee operated and I couldn't get the timing right; in my hands either the confections remained sadly deflated or exploded, making an unholy mess. I was equally inept cooking doughnuts in an ancient and rancid-smelling sea of grease. I was far too slow flipping the dough rings, so half of every batch was nearly incinerated. By noon it was clear to me and the manager that my future career lay elsewhere. I was 17 then, and many decades later, I still find the smell and look of doughnuts repulsive. Hope your surgery goes very well.

      Delete
  8. Kettle Korn. Just the right mix of salty and sweet and I can count it as one serving of vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Link 1
    https://workupload.com/file/fZRueXZcmVD

    Link 2
    https://workupload.com/file/mBZLrZQaxSa

    Link 3
    https://workupload.com/file/bYUSfz8aYAe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hackney Gelato vanilla ice cream. Can't be beat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was going to say just a bowl of fresh strawberries. But, last night I had a cheese tart from a local bakery, and its the best desert I ever recall eating.

    ReplyDelete
  12. apple strudel, curd strudel - there's nothing better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Icecream!! It is veeeery good in Argentina, and you have lots of selling points, with different specialities

    ReplyDelete