Didn't that go quick?
To be honest, I didn't think that I'd still be doing this a year latter.
I'd like to thank all of you for making this such a happy and friendly place!
So tell us, over the past year, what were some of your favorite freeloads?
Did you get introduced to music, you that was new to you?
I'd love to hear about it!

Feliz Cumpleanos! Only new one to me was Karen Dalton, and I def have enjoyed listening to her. But, just as importantly, I have obtained a ton of upgraded audio on artists with whom I was already familiar. Muchas gracias, querida amiga.
ReplyDeleteDe nada amigo!
DeleteMy older brother turned me on to Karen Dalton. Being a few years older than me, he was able to be apart of the Greenwich Village folk scene of the early 1960s.
I have a couple for you to check out. Yakamoz is a band based in Seville that does some amazing, original, Mediterranean style music. They have one lp out, but its not on any streaming service (is on bandcamp). Also, Brazilian group, Os Tincaos. 2 of the 3 founders died, and their albums were pretty obscure - an unreleased lp was found and issued last year and now they are getting their just applause.
DeleteHi Babs could you re up Karen Dalton pls
DeleteHave some great discoveries from your vast treasure chest.Thank you so much.Your stories and anecdotes are so good please stay for many years. Love your work.
Karen Dalton - 'In My Own Time (50th Anniversary Edition)
Deletehttps://workupload.com/file/GU46YCugqvx
Happy Birthday!!
ReplyDeleteThanks, errico!
DeleteBill Evans. And more cowbell please.
ReplyDeleteI once made a playlist called, more cowbell please
DeleteHappy Birthday!! So much great music shared here with great write-ups and background info that I was unaware of even for artists I've listened to for ages. Lots of upgrades to things I've only had in mp3 format and lots of great additions to some favorite artists' collections like Art Pepper, Charlie Haden, Django Reinhardt, Coltrane, Bill Evans, Van Morrison, Zep, Rolling Stones, etc, etc. Lots of great Blues that were completely new to me. One Jazz addition that comes to mind is Charles Lloyd's "Forest Flower" -- I have a bunch of his other albums but never came across that gem before. Love the mix Jazz, Rock, Blues and Folk. Keep on truckin'!!
ReplyDeleteAppreciated, MrDave.
DeleteHappy Birthday Babs Sez! Some favorites, anything from Charlie Parker
ReplyDeleteArt Pepper
Billie Holiday
New to me, thank you,
Nick Drake
John Zorn
Sugar Pie DeSanto
Roland Kirk
Many, many upgrades, thanks so much. This is a great place! Not only for music, but there have been great moments here, reading your stories (always amazing & told so well) and from others as well. I look forward to seeing what's new here, every day. Your questions "for the freeload" never fail to elicit a wide range of answers/thoughts/reminders, very interesting to hear other perspectives. Thanks Babs!
Thank you! There's plenty more forthcoming.
DeleteWell that year passed quickly! So much great music, stories and comradery. All much appreciated. My top 3 new discoveries because of you:
ReplyDelete1. Sugar Pie DeSanto
2. Johnny Shines
3. Lee Morgan
Thanks Thames! Hopefully you'll discover more.
DeleteCongratulations on a year filled with good music and conversation. The unreleased Art Pepper was a special treat, but throughout the year you also shared some wonderful upgrades of music I already owned. And in other cases, such as your appreciations of artists like Lightnin' Hopkins and Big Bill Broonzy, they spurred me into dusting off other material of theirs I hadn't heard in eons. In a time when many music blogs have gone dark, CBSTY is wonderfully counter cyclic and a respite from the web at large. Thank you.
ReplyDelete"In a time when many music blogs have gone dark, CBSTY is wonderfully counter cyclic and a respite from the web at large."
DeleteThat sentence makes all worthwhile! Thank you so much.
I always enjoy seeing what you will post next, some are new to me (and often excellent), and some are timely reminders of artists I haven't listened to for awhile, and some are my heroes (Sam Rivers, for instance)! Great conversations, no snark, music lovers getting together. Keep it up, Babs, you are providing an oasis of beauty and sanity.
ReplyDeleteI also like the lack of snakiness. In the last year, I can only remember deleting two posts, that were shall we say, inappropriate.
DeleteThan you for your participation, Bombshelter Slim!
thank you for this wonderful blog and happy birthday for this exciting place!
ReplyDeletehuey
Thanks, huey!
DeleteHappy 1st birthday & congratulations (has it really been a year?) Always enjoy checking out what great music you post from the obscure to the well known and how you've introduced me to blues and jazz artists.
ReplyDeleteThere will be much more blues and jazz to come.
DeleteThanks, Dr. Robert!
I like it here, it's a friendly place and there are some interesting sounds. I think The Wombles box set has to have been the year's highlight, no question.
ReplyDeleteAppreciated, geriatrix!
ReplyDeleteIn 1973, I dropped acid in Wimbledon Common
Are there any requests? The request line is open and as DJs used to say, "You got the dime, I got the time"
ReplyDeleteMy humble request would be any music associated with a musical event that your husband Jerry and you, wanted to attend, or actually were able to attend, that caught you both by surprise as to the nature of the performance or whatever else transpired, and that you both regarded as a really special moment that you were able to share.
DeleteYou got it, Thames.
DeleteWould love to hear some lesser known gems in your expansive collection that might tickle the synapses when tickling the synapses. I know that's almost as vague and open as saying "how about some good music" but maybe there are some less well known platters you have especially enjoyed while walking in the sunshine.
DeleteActually (holds hand up) I have a question/request - your Duane Allman post reminded me that when Beginnings was released it sported a remix of their debut album - is the original available?
ReplyDeleteHere's two versions of the first album: an SACD and a Japanese CD. See which one suits you best.
Deletehttps://workupload.com/file/qupmYABq2ks
This place is a music treasure trove for sure. What I really enjoy is your autobiographical writing...please keep sharing those delicious memories.
ReplyDeleteMore of "The Babs Chronicles" are forthcoming.
DeleteTime flies in this ol' Blog business, huh...congrats to Cuz Bas Sez and its owner. Lot of cool music and mini memoirs.
ReplyDeleteTempus fugit, verum est!
DeleteBabs, you fill a void in my heart. Keep on keepin' on. Congrats
ReplyDeleteThis is my favorite blog. For me, the downloads are secondary. It is the narrative and dialog that keeps me coming back (and where else could I share the stories of my murderous 5th grade teacher or the rumor of my own passing!)
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for doing this.
As a former 5th grade teacher, I only dreamed of murder...
DeleteThanx for the tunes, stories & everything! I'm currently going thru the Duane Anthology. Never heard much of his side-man stuff except for Derek & Boz. And I've still gotta shitload of flacs to convert....
ReplyDelete-notBob
Congratulations Babs!!! Has it been a year already? While I don't download like I used to, I do come here for your descriptions and the conversation. Hope you keep it up. And happy Valentines day tomorrow.
ReplyDeletesteVe
So grateful for your generosity. Giant brain, giant humanity.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tunes. Yes, I've heard some new things or taken a deeper dive into old things I'd forgotten or never gotten into before. Your posts are fun to read (and well written). Congrats on the birfday.
ReplyDeletethnx 4 all u do. interesting I usually go straight to Apple Music 2 c if they have b4 I DL & most of the time they don't. Duane is the latest example. again thnx, keep it up
ReplyDeleteHappy anniversary, Babs. You are a generous and knowledgeable music fan, a great storyteller, and a gracious moderator who keeps things positive (which isn't easy on the internet). You've cultivated a wonderful community of music fans. If you do a post on "lesser known platters" that are gems of your collection (as MrDave requested), maybe you could ask readers to share a little known gem from their own collections in the comments.
ReplyDeleteI've read stories about James Booker but never listened to his music (and wasn't sure where to start). A favorite among your freeloads is "Number 1's" by The Supremes -- familiar songs, but in better audio quality than I've ever heard.
Happy anniversary and thank you for the effort, time, and spirit you’ve put into making this a welcoming and rewarding blog in which to participate! Your prompt made me go back though a year’s worth of post titles on the sideboard (a very handy feature of this template!), and it caused me to reflect…
ReplyDeleteI’ve really been digging the “Ya-Yas” from the ‘69 Stones tour. I know I’ve heard the album during my lifetime (“New York, you’ve talked a lot…”) but it hadn’t exactly made a huge impression. Now it has.
What I reflected on more was how good a storyteller you are, and how many amusing, interesting, &/or insightful stories you’ve told. That, in turn, has stimulated a number of other people to post good stories. I’ve really enjoyed and valued that.
I also think your “conversation starters” have been top notch, and I’m thrilled that a comment I made early on was taken up and used as one – it makes me feel like I’ve paid a little rent.
I occasionally wondered while looking back why I hadn’t downloaded a particular offering. I’m reminded, though, that I haven’t listened to everything I have grabbed, and that time and disk space are both worth a little conservation. There are a number of times I’ve decided not to upgrade what I have, but also a number of times I’ve taken the plunge, and am grateful for your generosity.
In conclusion, thank you again, and a hearty congratulations!
D in California
Congrats for your wonderful blog with usually excellent music and great stories. Also the comment section is worthwhile. All I can say, please keep up the good work! Hard to select a 'top' download from so much good stuff, but the Jelly Roll Morton really is something! Unfortunately I was unable to answer your question (what recordings you consider to be the most important of the 20th century)...
ReplyDelete