Friday, February 21, 2025

Bukka White - 'Parchman Farm'



Last week, I met Denise "The Grease" for lunch over in Chinatown.  After lunch, we visited a few produce markets on Canal Street.  Also on Canal Street are street peddlers, who sell counterfeit goods.  Nike sneakers, Rolex watches, Louis Vuitton bags, Gucci bucket hats etc. are all for sale. 
In-between Nike and Rolex "showrooms", was a guy selling vinyl.  On his table were old milk crates, filled with records.  Thumbing through the records, I came across not one but two sealed copies of Bukka White's 'Parchman Farm', which were original pressings from 1970.  [Score! — Ed.]

My initial
Instinct was to buy the two marked a $10 each, and haggle down to $16 or $17.  The vendor was an older guy, who was pleasant enough, and seem like a nice guy, so instead, I took one, giving him his asking price.  After our transaction, I told him that a sealed
original pressing Bukka White's 'Parchman Farm' could go for around $100, or more to the right collector.  With that, the vendor's entire demeanor changed, he became loud, aggressive and demanded the album back.  At the same time, "The Grease" put her hand inside her shoulder bag, acted like she was looking for something, and said to the vendor, "Who you talkin' to like that, huh?".  I told the vendor, "I could have taken both off your hands, and you'd be none the wiser, right?".  The vendor reluctantly shook his head in agreement.  As we walked away, "The Grease" chuckled and said, "That mook doesn't know how lucky he was."  "Mook" is Italian-American slang (not actual Italian), for a fool, imbecile, or idiot (you get the idea).

As an aside, a few weeks ago,
"The Grease" was at my place.  We opened some wine, and she said she had some "killer weed" in her shoulder bag.  While trying to find her weed, she took some things out of her bag and placed them on the table.  Among the items were a can of Mace brand pepper spray, a gravity knife and a .25 Colt Automatic, with cute little mother-of-pearl pistol grips.  I asked her, "Are you planing a bank robbery or something later?" to which she replied "You know the deal".  The "deal" is that "The Grease" grew up the daughter of a Brooklyn Cosa Nostra Caporegime.  In a future post, I'll tell you about "The Grease's" older brother, Vincenzo, a.k.a. Vinny "The One".

Bukka White

Booker T. Washington White, a.k.a. Bukka White was born in the Mississippi hill country in 1906, and was the cousin of B.B. King.

At a young age, Bukka learned fiddle from his father, who latter bought him his first guitar.  One story has it that his grandmother prohibited "the Devil’s Music" from the house, so at the age of fourteen, Bukka moved in with an uncle in Clarksdale, the heart of the Delta.

In his late teens into his twenties, Bukka spent several years wandering the South playing guitar and picking up casual work until 1930 when he was spotted by a scout from the Victor label who arranged some recording sessions in Memphis.   Bukka put down 14 tracks of Blues and Gospel material, but only four were ever issued, as 
The Great Depression hit record sales hard.  Unable to make a living from music, Bukka played professional baseball in the Negro League and later tried to make it as a pro boxer.

Somehow, word of Bukka’s music got around, and in 1937 he was invited by Big Bill Broonzy to record for legendary producer Lester Melrose in Chicago.   Unfortunately for Bukka he was out on bail for a shooting offense, so he was hauled back to Mississippi to serve three years in Parchman Farm having recorded only two tracks.

Musicologists John and Alan Lomax went to Parchman in 1939, where they recorded a couple of Bukka’s songs.  When he was released in 1940, and Bukka headed to Chicago with a dozen songs ready for Lester.  These sessions, released on Vocalion and Okeh labels.  Backed only by Washboard Sam, the recordings proved to be Bukka’s finest work and the backbone of his repertoire.


Bukka White’s 1940 session for producer Lester Melrose in Chicago is regarded as one of the pinnacles of blues recording history.  The 12 tracks from that two-day session, along with the aforementioned two songs from a 1937 session (including the influential ‘Shake ‘Em on Down’), were all originally released as 78rpm singles on OKeh, Vocalion, or other labels, and in 1970 on this remarkable album.

I bought the original pressing in 1970, wore it out and years later I replaced it with Sony Legacy issued CD, that due to over usage of noise reduction sounds dull and dead.

The freeload is a 
24 bit/96 kHz vinyl rip of the album bought last week in Chinatown.

For the freeload, tell us what albums you've been listening to over the last few days

27 comments:

  1. Wow Babs, yet another great story! And a great score & no one was actually injured, but it sounds like some one coulda been. This list, in random order started this past weekend.
    Bastards Of Soul - Corners
    Phil Manzanera - Listen Now
    Milt Jackson Quartet
    Oysterhead
    Native Sons - Los Lobos
    Art Pepper Quartet Paris 5/19/1981
    Bob Marley & the Wailers - Kaya
    Charlie Parker w/Strings - Midnight Jazz At Carnegie Hall
    Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
    Richie Cole - Pittsburgh
    Laurie Anderson - Amelia
    There are others as well. When I walk (frequently), songs shuffle on the iPhone, lotsa songs but not albums. Thanks Babs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I ever write a book about my adventures with “The Grease”, I will name it:
      “No one was actually injured, but someone coulda been” 


      Truth is, she’s not violent by nature, but definitely not to be "trifled with”.

      Delete
  2. Janis Joplin - ‘Pearl’
    The Phil Woods Six - ‘Live from the Showboat’
    Nina Simone - ‘You’ve Got to Learn’
    Taj Mahal - ‘Oooh So Good 'N Blues’
    John Coltrane - ‘A Love Supreme’
    Beastie Boys - ‘Paul's Boutique’
    Allen Toussaint - ‘Southern Nights’
    Duke Ellington - ‘Afro-Bossa’
    The Crusaders - ‘Free As The Wind’
    Charlie Haden - ‘Montreal Tapes: with Joe Henderson and Al Foster’

    Tom Waits - ‘Alice’
    Grateful Dead - ‘Reckoning’

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pal Denise not only packs a pistol, she sounds like she IS one as well! I'm just glad it didn't end up as a shootout in Chinatown and am excited to have a clean copy as mine was bought used, and is far from pristine.
    As far as recent albums go:
    Anthony Paule Soul Orchestra - What are You Waiting For?
    Gene Chandler - Live at The Regal
    John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman - (same)
    John Coltrane and Duke Ellington - (same)
    Betty Carter - The Audience and Betty Carter
    Donny Hathaway - These Songs for You, Live
    Various Artists - Zulu Jive Umbaqanga
    Various Artists - Rhythm of Resistance
    Charles Mingus - Tijuana Moods
    Charles Mingus - Mingus Moves
    Charles Mingus -- Blues & Roots
    The Time Jumpers - (same)
    Junior Wells - Hoodoo Man Blues
    Otis Rush -The Classic Cobra Recordings - 1956-1958
    Sarah Vaughan - Everything I Have is Yours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve known Denise “The Grease” since the 3rd grade, she was a pistol back then too. If push came to shove, she would have maced the Guy. The thing of it is, she’s superstitious, and believes in the "sins of the father” rhubarb. Personally, I think she’s paranoid, but as Joseph Heller said in in his book ‘Catch-22: ““Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you”



      “Shootout in Chinatown” sounds like a Springsteen outtake.

      Delete
    2. Actually I was thinking of the song by The Band on their Cashoots album.

      Delete
  4. I've spent many years making CDs of my preferred cuts from my favorite artists. Very few albums are worthy of a whole spin. That said, I've been listening to some Django, David Crosby, Seatrain, Joni Mitchell, BB King, The Band, The Beatles & Eric Burdon & The Animals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The King Crimson post got me rummaging through my prog albums so I've been listening to KC/Genesis/Floyd/Caravan/ELP/Yes/VDGG/Jethro Tull (they're lumped in with prog but I'm not convinced). BTW I've had the chance to A/B the Allman Brothers album you posted to the one I had and they're definitely different - so thank you once again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phantom Of The Rock OperaFebruary 21, 2025 at 9:54 PM

    I've not really been listening to albums this week as I recently lost an 8tb drive filled with movies. So I've been watching numerous films with appearances from and soundtracks by well known artists from the 60's and 70's as I've managed to replace them including :

    Wonderwall (George Harrison)
    Family Way (Paul McCartney)
    Wild Weekend aka Catch Us if You Can (Dave Clark Five)
    You're A Big Boy Now (Loving Spoonful)
    Beat Girl (Adam Faith)
    Hold On & Mrs Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter (both Herman's Hermits)
    Born To Boogie (Marc Bolan)
    The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust)
    Blow Up (Herbie Hancock and the Yardbirds)
    Summer Holiday, Young Ones, Two A Penny, Wonderful Life, Expresso, Bongo (Cliff Richard and the Shadows)
    Plus A Number of films with a multitude of bands in like Gonks Go Beat, Just For You, Seaside Swingers, Live It Up)
    as well as possibly my favorite of all of them

    Up The Junction (Manfred Mann)

    And currently I'm watching Percy (which features songs by the Kinks)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few weeks back, on a cold and snowy Sunday, I watched ‘That'll Be the Day’ and its sequel, ‘Stardust’ back to back. Both have very cool soundtracks.

      Delete
  7. The Kinks Picture Book compilation; Iron Butterfly 1st LP; Claude Boling Suite For Flute and Piano Trio; Swingle II Madrigals; Steely Dan bootleg of outtakes; some Faure chamber music; Moody Blues In Search of the Lost Chord; Bee Gees 1st and Horizontal; some live Hendrix; Spirit's 3rd LP; some Neil Young; Stones 66 & 67 various; Caravan & The New Symphonia; Soft Machine 4; Ahmad Jamal (every week); Crown Of Creation; Dead Live At The Fillmore (always the Dead when it's my turn to cook); Side one of The Beatles Red compilation...

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lot of Milton Nascimento - mainly Geraes and Clube de Esquina. Some Beatles (Abbey Road, Sgt Pepper, Magical Mystery), Horace Silver and a little Roberto Fonseca (his lp Zamazu).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another great story, Babs.

    No albums during the last few days due to traveling and having random Ipod shuffle on (anyone wants to post their random shuffle songs, hop over to my place if you like that whole listing thing...) but the album I listened to this morning for breakfast was Queen's A Day At The Races.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hop you're having a nice time!

      Delete
    2. Ah, back home now and happy to find my bed with a good mattress as the beds in our rentals were...not great for a good night's sleep. Had a couple of nice days on the beach (with good, sunny weather for February) and two days at an amusement park for the kids. Lots of walking, but everyone had a good time...

      Delete
  10. Link
    https://workupload.com/file/XGXY9kCC5BS

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not an album, but I have been spending a good bit of time listening to a French radio station, TSF, that is dedicated to jazz. It has a website and for roughly $4 a month you can get an add free stream, and also dedicated streams for Vocal jazz, swing, manouche and New Orleans music. All of these streams are very well curated. https://www.tsfjazz.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been doing a deep dive into George Jones' Epic Records discography. And wondering why Sony hasn't given it the deluxe box treatment...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been doing a deep dive into the George Jones Epic Records catalogue, and wondering why Sony hasn't given it the deluxe box treatment... great story, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  14. gosh, i love your stories...

    "butterfly" the music of butterfly (vincent gallo & harper simon)
    "baptismal" laraaji & kramer
    "lupa" elsa hewitt
    "y tu mama tambien" soundtrack
    "el camino de mi alma" los hermanos gutierrez

    ReplyDelete
  15. Grand Funk Railroad, dada & Guadalcanal Diary

    ReplyDelete
  16. I also enjoy your stories!

    Ventures - Super Psychedelics
    The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery
    Yes - Yesyears Box Set CD 3
    Jethro Tull - Stand Up
    Georges Moustaki - A Bobino
    Jock Tamson's Bairns (self-titled)

    D in California

    ReplyDelete
  17. This may roll somebody around here, but my latest album listen was "Gypsy Punks" by Gogol Bordello. It's a mood.

    ReplyDelete
  18. In the last week:
    Mystery Girls - Rock N Roll With the Mystery Girls
    LANE - Where Things Were
    Moby - Play
    Chameleons - Dreams In Celluloid
    Marshall Crenshaw - Life's Too Short
    C in California

    ReplyDelete
  19. Larkin Poe - Easy Love Pt.1
    Bob Mould - Here We Go Crazy
    Judith Hill - Letters From A Black Widow
    Patterson Hood - Exploding Trees & Airplane Screams
    Yazz Ahmed - A Paradise in the Hold*
    Guy Buttery - Orchestrations*
    Oumou Sangaré - Timbuktu
    Renato Sellani - Plays Monk
    Melody Angel - Angels & Melodies
    Mary Halvorson - Cloudward

    * sounding like year end faves

    ReplyDelete