Jimmy "Mr. Five by Five" Rushingplayed, jump blues, jazz, bebop and R&B. was also such a proficient musician, that he could blur the lines of the aforementioned genres, sometimes in the same song, and make it look effortless.
Fun Fact: Eddie got his nickname "Cleanhead after an incident in which his hair was accidentally destroyed by lye contained in a hair straightening product, necessitating shaving it off. Eddie liked the look, and maintained a shaved head from then on.
On the fourth of July weekend in 1971, my husband Jerry and I attended the Newport Jazz Festival. Under different circumstances, we would have seen "Cleanhead" with T-Bone Walker if a riot had not disrupted that summer’s Newport Jazz Festival.
The riot broke out on Saturday night during Dionne Warwick's set when people without tickets stormed the gates. "Cleanhead" was scheduled for an all-blues program on Sunday night, with Ray Charles was the headliner of a line-up that also featured James Cotton, B.B. King, T-Bone Walker, Big Joe Turner, and the Allman Brothers. Due to the riot, Newport Jazz Festival founder George Wein cancelled the rest of Saturday's show and the Sunday and Monday shows.
George Wein in his autobiography, 'Myself Among Others' wrote:
“T-Bone Walker and Eddie Vinson were supposed to have played, T-Bone shook his head and mused about how long he had waited to play Newport.”George Wein, who was not a fan of rock music or Hippies, blamed the riot on "Drugged out Hippie Allman Brothers fans", which was total bunkum. I mean, why would Allman Brothers fans storm the gates the day before the Allman's show, and during Dionne Warwick's set no less? Sorry George, but it just doesn't add up.
Jerry and I were in disbelieve that the rest of the festival was cancelled. Check out the above line-up for Sunday and Monday shows, that we would not see. We were going to drop acid for the 1PM show on Monday. Plus, we had a hotel room booked until Tuesday.
and originally released on the French Black & Blue label as 'Wee Baby Blues', and then licensed by the Delmark label, and released in the United States under the title of, .
who was a prominent and influential jazz pianist and band leader, who along with Count Basie helped shape and develop the Kansas City swing sound. Jay also gave Charlie Parker his first big break.
On 'Kidney Stew Is Fine', along with Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson's alto saxophone and vocals are:
T-Bone Walker − guitar
Jay McShann − piano
Jackie Sampson − bass
Paul Gunther – drums
For the freeload, tell us about music festivals you have attended.






I attended the Day of the Drum festival in Watts a couple times in the 80s. Billy Higgins was one of the organizers. The 42nd installment was held a few weeks ago apparently.
ReplyDeleteFestivals just about died out in the late 1970's and 1980's in the UK so all mine are in the 1990's :- V festival (4 times), Victoria Park (twice), Reading, Crystal Palace , Phoenix although I never fancied Glastonbury which being earlier in the summer seemed to suffer far too often from the consequences of heavy rain and I had better things to do than live in a mud bath for several days
ReplyDeleteI went to the Reading Festival in 1973.
DeleteI begged my mom to let me go to Woodstock, I was 13, I think she thought I had lost my mind. We were in Kansas. I finally made it to a festival in Manchester, TN, in 2002, the first Bonnaroo. For that one, I needed my wife's permission, I think she thought I had lost my mind. A good time was had. Thanks Babs
ReplyDeleteMy computer crashed yesterday so I'm using a backup. Consequently I don't have the dates. I went to both Cal Jams 1 & 2. Also not quite a festival, though it felt like one, was Day On The Green with The Who And Grateful Dead.
ReplyDeletesteVe
DeleteNumerous New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festivals and French Quarter Festivals, Django Festival in Barcelona and Fontainebleau, Cotati Accordion Fest in Sonoma, Mississippi Delta Blues Festival, Montreal Jazz Festival. Missing a few but need some caffeine.
ReplyDeleteCaffeine found. Festival Internationale and Festival Acadiens, both in Lafayette, La and very well done, Kansas City Jazz Festival, Delta Festival in Marseiles. Two favorites have been the Delta Fest and Fontainebleau's Django Fest.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWow, that Monday lineup sure looks like it would have been amazing! What a bummer
ReplyDeleteSadly I've never been to a real music festival; the barriers -- cost, distance and a strong aversion to crowds and all the logistical difficulties crowds inevitably create -- have always seemed insurmountable to me. Plus I don't know anyone who would want to go with me anymore.
When I lived on the east coast, I regularly made a pilgrimage to the King Biscuit Blues Festival in Helena, Arkansas—invariably a rewarding musical weekend. Named for King Biscuit Boy Flour, the sponsor of Sonny Boy Williamson II's 1950s radio show, the festival offered stellar lineups drawn from blues, R&B, and soul acts, and on Sunday mornings there'd be gospel quartets and choirs getting down all over town—nearly enough to infuse this heathen with true religion. Among the dozens of killer acts I caught over the years, I'm remembering an especially sultry set by Ann Peebles (of "I Can't Stand the Rain" fame) backed by the ultra-funky Hi Rhythm Section.
ReplyDeleteIn the 60s, KCET, the LA public TV station produced a show based on a typical lineup of acts that were regulars at Johnny Otis's Barrelhouse Club in Gardena. Both T--Bone and Cleanhead were on hand, exuding classiness and sophistication with chops galore.
And speaking of killer lineups, that aborted Newport Jazz Festival had one; it must have cost Wein plenty to pay off the canceled artists and make refunds.
Not liking huge crowds too much, I've always stuck to attending smaller festivals (in small towns, except for the Vancouver Folk Music Festival) no more than a day's drive from my home in the southern interior of British Columbia. Salmon Arm Roots & Blues, Ritzville/Wallace/Winthrop/Rock Cut Blues Festivals in Washington & Idaho, and the late lamented Komasket Music Festival.
ReplyDeleteWent to a few music festivals in the San Francisco Bay Area about 55 years ago, but they were never really my thing.
ReplyDeleteI did get a chance to see Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson at Eddie Condon's nightclub in Midtown Manhattan in October 1979. He was performing alongside Scott Hamilton, who was the highly touted up-and-coming young tenor sax player at the time. Unfortunately Scott was sloppy drunk that night, so much so that I was afraid he was going to stumble off the stage. Cleanhead was continually shooting Scott sideways glances of disgust as Vinson tried to maintain some semblance of overall stage decorum. I loved Eddie and hope that Scott was just displaying a one-off bout of youthful indiscretion.
Small world, Neal. We were both in the same room, on the same night.
DeleteSmall world, indeed. Does my 45 year old recollection sync up with yours?
DeleteYes it does.
DeleteScott was notorious for being drunk back then. I wonder if he had stage fright?
Link
ReplyDeletehttps://workupload.com/file/DmV3utGZugk
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteGlastonbury Festival 1993, Wynton Marsalis headlined one night, if memory serves me he was moved to headline spot at the last minute, consequently very few people turned up to see his set.
ReplyDeleteThe night before Red Hot Chilli Peppers pulled out and were replace by The Kinks who played a really wonderful set.
That same year The Velvet Underground played in the afternoon sun, call me fickle but surely they should only play during the night.