Tuesday, July 30, 2024

John Coltrane - 'Newport '63'

 

In May 1963, I went for my weekly piano lesson with Mark.  I've written about Mark here before, he was a beatnik, who chain-smoked Camel cigarettes, had a goatee, and had hundreds upon hundreds of Jazz records scattered all over his apartment.  My mother thought Mark was a creep, while sixteen-year-old Babs thought he was dreamy, and had a huge crush on him.

On this one particular day, when I arrived at Mark's apartment, he and his girlfriend, Kathy, were in the kitchen, with Mark on the phone.  He hung up the phone, and said to Kathy across the table, "We've got a room for 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th of July!"  They were both ecstatic, I asked where they were going, and they said in unison, "Newport!"  Mark added "We're gonna see, Monk, Nina Simone,
Brubeck, Ellington, Sonny Rollins and Trane... John FREAKIN' Coltrane!"  I was jealous of them going to Newport, but not nearly as jealous, as I was of Kathy, who got up from her chair, and sat on Mark's lap, started nibbling his ear, and calling him "Dad" (short for Daddy-O)...

After my piano lesson, on my way home, I wondered if there was a way that I could get to Newport to see Monk and Trane, but how?  There was no way on earth, my parents were going to let me go.  So I called Denise "The Grease" to help me hatch a plan and latter that evening, we met up on the Brooklyn Heights Promenade, with a pack of Kool cigarettes and a quart of Ballantine Ale.

"The Grease" and I were a two-person Think Tank,
devoted to deceiving parents, teachers, and various other adults, and also not getting caught committing misdemeanors of a minor nature.  We were better than good, we always had a plan B and C in case something went wrong, always stuck to the script and we never, ever got caught.

Anyway, on the
Promenade, I told Denise about Mark and Kathy going to Newport, Rhode Island, and how I really needed to get there.  Denise asked me, "So you're trying to get to Newport, so you can make it with Mark the beatnik, and need Kathy out of the way?"  I told her, "No, I want to see John Coltrane".  Denise (a charter member of
The Ronettes Fan Club, Brooklyn Heights Chapter) then asked cluelessly and in all earnestness, "Where did you meet this Coltrane guy" [Sigh - Ed.].

Over the next few days, "The Grease" and I came up with all kinds of ingenious plans that would have been carried out with all the precision of a
'Mission Impossible' episode, except for one thing: M-O-N-E-Y.  I needed adult money, but I only had sixteen-year-old "do-re-mi".  It was just not to be.

In a few years time, I would start going to Jazz Festivals at Newport, Chicago, Montreal,
Boston, Montreux, New Orleans and Tokyo.  But, I've always wished I could have seen, Monk, Nina Simone, Brubeck, Ellington, Sonny Rollins and Trane... John 
FREAKIN'
Coltrane, at the 1963 Newport Jazz Festival.

'Newport '63', is of the finest live Coltrane recordings out there, but it tends to get overlooked.  One reason might be is because Elvin Jones is replaced by Roy Haynes, while Elvin was serving time in Lexington, KY. for heroin possession from May through early August 1963.  While the absence of Elvin Jones is somewhat noticeable, make no mistake, this is a five star, classic live jazz recording.  The first 3 tracks are from the Newport Jazz Festival recorded on July 7th, 1963, and in addition to Roy Haynes on drums and Trane on tenor and soprano saxophones (natch), we have the remaining quartet members McCoy Tyner on piano, and Jimmy Garrison on bass.

The album starts with Billy Eckstine's ballad "I Want To Talk About You," where Trane plays tenor and ends with soloing alone for a couple of minutes before the band hits the last chord on cue.  Trane ended many songs live like that, and it worked every time.

Next up is
"My Favorite Things", which without doubt is the highlight of the album. Personally,
I consider this to be the best version in Trane's entire catalog (including bootlegs).  This version clocks in at seventeen and a half minutes, and every second is interesting from beginning to end.  Listen carefully to the interplay between McCoy Tyner and Roy Haynes, it's quite remarkable.

The last Newport track is the Trane penned "Impressions".  This is a bolder version than the original recording, with the band accompanying Trane, until his solo "takes off."  From there on, he plays with only with Roy Haynes.

The last track of the album "Chasin' Another Trane" was not recorded at Newport in 1963, but rather at the Village Vanguard in November 1961.  This has a different line-up with Reggie Workman on bass, Elvin Jones on drums (mistakenly credited to Roy Haynes on the CD) and Eric Dolphy on alto sax, who makes for a perfect intermission from Trane's solos.  Also, the presence of Eric Dolphy and the removal of piano makes this the most avant-garde piece on the record, and almost reminiscent of early Ornette Coleman.


This Thursday, I'm heading up to Newport for the 70th annual Jazz festival on August 2nd, 3rd and 4th.  This will be my 20th (or 21st, not sure) visit.  For many years it was an annual pilgrimage with my husband Jerry.  The last time I attended, was pre-Covid 2019.  This time I'm going with my eldest daughter and my friend Gemma.

For the freeload, tell us about music festivals you have been to, or plan to go to.

53 comments:

  1. The Burundi Drummers played their first Western gig at the first WOMAD [World Of Music And Donuts - Ed.] Festival. They flew to the UK wearing their best suits (polyester, wild colors, big lapels and ties) and changed into their jungle skins for the performance, and they were wild - easily the best performance of the festival. I've forgotten who else I saw there except for Echo And The Bunnymen, who were just fucking horrible.

    Thanks for the John sides, Babs - you can never have enough John! Can we expect some Davis soon? He's, like, the most!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But hey, that poster/image for this year's festival is peak Hallmark.

      Delete
    2. What were they thinking?

      Delete
    3. That poster reminds of FZs quote: Jazz isn't dead, it just smells bad. Hope the music is better than the poster. Have fun!
      -notBob

      Delete
    4. What were they thinking? I'm guessing the designer (a friend or relative of someone on the directors' panel) is in their twenties, and their sense of music history is as disgraceful as their clipart design skills. Smiley face emoticon, flower power flower, some colored balls (?), diversity checkbox ticked with brown hands clutching toy trombone, ethnicity checkbox ticked by genuine fake Sears poncho pattern, and weirdest of all - is that a genuine fake Rick Griffin eyeball? Add a cheap electronic keyboard and some typography that doesn't have a fucking clue what it's doing there, and you have a timeless design classic that somebody got paid for.

      Also - note cheap vertical mirror effect, split down the center, so the *cough* artist only had to render half, and flip it. Babs - if you get the chance, put your dainty foot on someone's neck about this, because it's a fucking disgrace.

      Delete
    5. It makes the 'Dave's Picks' series look good.

      Delete
    6. Yes, Farq, it's the symmetry of it which really offends my eye.

      Delete
    7. Created (?) by this guy...he's London-based, so I don't think Babs' dainty foot will quite reach that far.

      https://www.davidoku.com/

      Delete
    8. Yes, but the person(s) responsible will be in reach of my foot, in Rhode Island.

      Delete
    9. Having had a squint at his web site, he has some abilities, although typography, an absolute basic skill for a poster designer, isn't among them. He's also full of himself - "Today, I'm recognised for my dynamic digital illustrations." Not by me, pal.

      Delete
    10. Over the weekend, I may have to hold an Inquisition (estilo español) to get to the bottom of this.

      I want answers!

      Delete
    11. That 'design' is criminal, ugly beyond sin...

      Delete
    12. It takes a very special ability to make a plain blue background ugly, but this guy manages it. Just a thought - does he know Newport is on the East Coast?

      Delete
  2. Correction: Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny. (Same as my brain lately)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's quite a bit of irony in Frank's quote.

      Delete
  3. I know I went to both Cal Jam festivals. 1974 & 1978. I went to 3 Banjo, Fiddle & Guitar festivals. Two of which were at Cal State Long Beach. 1975 & 1976. Saw Emmylou Harris & the Hot Band with guest Linda Ronstadt. Early Jimmy Buffett. Doc Watson, John Hartford, Norman Blake, Byron Berline and others. I remember getting sunburned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Numerous NO Jazz and heritage Festivals brought to you by Shell Oil (they'll sue if you fail to use the correct name), and lately the Manouche festival in November in L'Hospitalet, Spain (outside Barcelona) and also the Django festival in Fountainebleau, France. Headed to Montreux in 2025 for the 1st time. Easily the best organized, and most fun, festival was the one in Fountainebleau.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’ve just returned from last weekends Kozfest nr Axminster in Devon. It’s a small festival limited to 500 tickets. We had three days of psychedelic, spacey, folky music performed by bands many people will not have heard of outside of the UK weird scene. Camping in a smallish tent is getting a bit of a challenge as I get older, but worth it for a wonderful weekend, spend with some lovely friends, many who I only see at this festival. Most of the audience are elderly hippies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like the sort of festival I'd enjoy! Best band?

      Delete
    2. Were the Ozrics there, Bambi?

      Delete
    3. Ozrics weren’t there but Ullulators were (ex Ozrics). Best band, maybe Sons of Mu, who I had never heard of, playing jammy improvised stuff, the drummer looked about twenty. Also a real favourite of mine called Red Sun from Italy, they had some sound problems, but were very good. Various ex members of Hawkwind/Gong etc are usually playing or/and in the audience, Mike Howlett played some nice bass with a band whos name I don’t remember for some unknown reason.

      Delete
    4. There were also some really heavy bands, Evil Blizzard, Cosmic Dead and Amon Acid, all were good but a bit heavy for my taste last weekend, I was in a 'mellow mood'.

      Delete
    5. I'm glad to hear you had a nice weekend, Bambi.

      Delete
    6. My daughter still has some of the early cassette releases by the Ozrics and the Ullulators. She might also have some by Eat Static. She's probably got some of the other offshoots, too. There used to be hippy raves in the woods near where we lived and she used to go whenever she could. The Ozrics played there once. Shrooms!!!

      Delete
    7. I think Kozfest probably appeals to many of the people who attended those early hippy rave things, only now we're 'getting on' a bit. Ozrics have played there a couple of times.

      Delete
  6. Thanks Babs. Attended The Walnut Valley Festival & National Flatpicking Championship in Winfield, KS in 1975 whilst moving to Santa Fe, New Mexico. Incredibly fun camp out with music being played by greats at every campfire. Attended the first Bonnaroo. Held/hosted & played numerous Hippie Fests in various locations throughout Northeastern Ohio during the mid to late 1990's.
    Have a great time at Newport. Also, how long did you study piano? Was your music instructor always a dreamboat or were there other music teachers? Did it attune your music listening skills or make no difference at all? You never got caught? Ever? Really? Not even once? Not prying too much I hope, just a bit curious, thanks Babs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. “…..how long did you study piano?”
      I started taking piano lessons, when I was 6, and stopped when I was eighteen. When I went away to college, my focus was on mathematics, something I love more than music. During those years I played various hotel cocktail lounges in SoCal.

      “Was your music instructor always a dreamboat or were there other music teachers?”
      There were other teachers, you can read about them here:
      https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/2850798692239564310/7242939025130746548
      


      "Did it attune your music listening skills or make no difference at all?"
      Mark “the dreamboat” trained my ear to perfect pitch, and coached me in improvisation. He also gave me a copy of Aaron Copland’s book ‘What to Listen for in Music’ a book that I can’t recommend enough. Love music? Read this book. Mark went on to teach jazz studies at the Manhattan School of Music.



      "You never got caught? Ever? Really? Not even once?"
      Really. There were a few instances where they knew we did whatever the shenanigans were, but they had zero proof.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reference to the Aaron Copeland book. As it would be too much effort for me to read it in English, I did some research and found out that there is a German translation and it seems that there is only one copy available at the moment (second hand for 35 Euros), which I bought immediately. And of course many thanks for JCN!
      Regards, Paul

      Delete
    3. Here's Copland's book in hygenic epub format:

      https://workupload.com/file/KJAKENsqFaQ

      Delete
  7. Thank you Babs. Fantastic. That's a lot of piano lessons.
    I will get a copy of that book to read, looking forward to it.
    Do you have a favorite pianist?
    No evidence = no crime, right?
    Thanks for a great blog and sharing such great stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had to pick one pianist as a favorite, it would be Bill Evans. While I'm not a fan of the term, "The Greatest" to my ears, that would be Art Tatum.
      No evidence = no crime - exactamundo!
      Thank YOU, for all your input.

      Delete
    2. Nobody axed me, but favorite keyboard klobberer is Mr. Monk, by some distance (the same distance that Django leads the rest of the fretboard fumblers).

      Delete
  8. Link
    https://workupload.com/file/zCKTq7NFRk6

    ReplyDelete
  9. The next new freeload post, will be on Monday or Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My brother and I have made an annual ritual of attending the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival in SF's Golden Gate Park since 2001. The lineups are stellar, and as the name suggests, the music genres stray far from bluegrass to acts such as Los Lobos, Boz Scaggs, Richard Thompson as well as legends like Earl Scruggs, Ralph Stanley, Mavis Staples and Doc Watson. Held simultaneously on seven different stages, the festival is entirely free thanks to the late Warren Hellman, a real estate mogul and heir to the Hellman mayo fortune. One odd festival memory is from around 2010 when I caught a young pop-country singer as an opening act playing to a few dozen of us. I wasn't keen on the music but I was impressed with her stage presence and command of the band. I hear Taylor Swift has gone on to bigger things. Speaking of bluegrass, I remember reading an interview with Ravi Shankar in which he was asked what American forms of music he liked. He replied that bluegrass was the only one he actually enjoyed, which seemed surprising at the time. But upon reflection, his answer made sense. As with Hindustani art music where soloists play parallel to each other rather than engaging in harmony, bluegrass instrumentalists generally go hell for leather on their own solo lines that only meld and merge here and there in the music. Though I'm not a huge bluegrass fan personally, the virtuosic level of its players, as with Indian art music, is undeniable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Up until a few weeks ago the only festival I had ever been to was Reading in 1978. It was the year that punks took over and I saw loads of people there, such as The Jam, Patti Smith, Squeeze, Penetration, Pirates, Sham 69,... The trouble was that I don't really feel that I saw any of them, as it was all so different from watching bands close up in a small sweaty cellar, which is what I had quickly got used to in the previous 12 months.

    Scroll on 46 years to The New Foest Folk Festival 2024. I had a ball, a totally different experience to just sit in a field and be entertained by loads of musicians, most of whom I'd never heard of. Sat in a camping chair, close to the stage was an absolute privilege. The cost was £150 and included 5 nights camping. That equates to £30 per night, which is a price that I quite often have to pay for a night at an ordinary campsite, without the chance to see 34 bands.

    The absolute highlight was an Irish band called "The Haar", with a phenomenal vocalist called Molly Donnery. Their set consisted mainly of very well known folk songs : The Wild Rover, Whiskey In The Jar, She Moved Through The Fair, Wild Mountain Thyme etc.. but subverted in such a way that you had to guess which one they were playing. Apparently they never play a song the same way twice and are always improvising. I dubbed them the King Crimson of folk music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That'll be The New Forest Folk Festival then...

      Delete
    2. Hey Nobster, that’s some journey from Reading 1978 to The New Forest Folk Festival, quite a contrast. Looking at the poster for Reading 1978 you paid £8.95 for a three day ticket.

      Delete
    3. Nah, it's all just music, you can't beat it.

      Delete
  12. I was also in Newport the week of Jazzfest 2019 for work but as I was unaware of the festival ahead of time and didn't have tickets I had to resort to other means of entertainment that weekend. Had a grand misadventure taking mescaline and doing the ten mile walk from hotel to beach and all along the beautiful Newport Cliff Walk. Had a nice ocean swim in a secluded cove and then another unexpected swim after falling off some slippery rocks. Got a little dinged up and hobbled the last few miles but all in all a spectacular day I wouldn't trade!
    -MrDave



    . Had a great misadventure anyway doing the cliff walk eating a bunch of San Pedro cactus powder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops -- sorry for the sloppy editing above :/

      Delete
    2. C'mon, MrDave, get it together - you're our Flagship of Coherence!

      Delete
  13. i've been to Cannan and I wanna go back. Ok, I haven't been to Cannan, but I went to Woodstock (69)! I went to a few Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festivals, and probably 20 to 30 others. I remember learning one can brush their teeth with bourbon at a festival outside the Hotel where they shot the Shining. I've also sat next to a man at a Bingo game. The man was wearing my stolen watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to Woodstock, too, and I was unimpressed. Maybe it being in the 'eighties had something to do with it.

      Delete
    2. Woodstock in The Cotswolds, Oxfordshire? I was disappointed they didn't have a 'head shop' when I visited, it was all quaint cafes and artisan bakeries.

      Delete
    3. I've been to that Woodstock many times - lived in Oxford for a few years. I went to upstate New York to visit a pal who lived in Long Eddy, the back of beyond, and we made a pilgrimage to the memorial stone at the festival site.

      Delete
    4. The closest I got to the actual festival was attending the premiere of the movie in London - we got a free headband (imagine the derision) and a souvenir program. Michael Lang's book, The Road To Woodstock, is a fantastic read.

      Delete
  14. Richmond Jazz Festival 1963. Standouts were the dixieland parade through the town and Cyril Davies.

    Shepton Mallett 1970. I don't remember anything but the rain, the Airplane playing in the middle of the night, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin being boring.
    They say Santana and Dr John played, but I missed them.

    Various Bracknell Folk Festivals in the 80s, very civilised, went with 3 year old daughter, fun had by all. Most impressed by Andy White.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I designed the publicity for the Bracknell Festival back in the late 'eighties. Great bunch of people.

      Delete
  15. Quite a diverse line-up for Newports 70th annual Jazz festival, I think Babs will be having a great time. A agree about the poster artwork, shocking.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good. now that they've settled the Indian troubles.
    Gabby Hayes.

    ReplyDelete